Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension quote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is it just the camera fish eye or is that right side wall falling away to the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

80k sounds decent. We had ours done in 2021. 45sqm for 71.5k. That included two fully tiles kitted out wetrooms though. Hopefully things continue to drop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭jiminho

Very interested to hear updates in this thread. Currently bidding on a house in south Dublin which is a little small for our needs but has lots of space to move to the rear and side (over garage). I kind of have plans in my head what to do and we’d only add one additional bathroom adjacent to an existing one. It would be a large extension though probably between 80-100 m2. What are people seeing now?

Also, it would be interesting to hear what people are getting for the cost. An extension that houses a brand new kitchen will be a lot more than one that’s just a living room

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

The country isn't booming we are set for a recession this year and construction has contracted 6 out of the last 7 months and already a prediction from pwc of 1000k companies going insolvent this year alone. I think a lot construction companies unless they cop on to their quotes will be heading to the wall as people simply cannot afford the the prices. Wages have come no where near the increase in construction. Anyone getting building work done. Make sure you separate your QS spend out and keep that and use it when the builders need materials and I would be paying on a weekly basis no big cash amounts as the builder who starts your job may well be insolvent taking your cash with them by the end. I would also hold off if the slowdown continues hopefully construction companies in the main will be bleeding heavily and have to pass on savings to the customer as in almost all areas from timber to blocks to gas price have come down yet the price of a construction job seems to be falling at a much slower pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

That quote thats down to 80k now that i was talking about above is for a 40 sqm single story extension on the back of the house. It is fully finished and kitted out kitchen too as well as blending the existing kitchen which will be part of it. I think its very expensive still. Got almost the exact same thing done in 2015 for €35k on our last house, so these quotes hurt :)

• Advertisement

Hold off 6 months at least and see where things are at.

absolutely still gouging going on there wait him out in 6 months he will be definitely be coming in under 70k.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

in similar boat to few others here but holding out. If we do (and I think we will) have a recession, could get a lot cheaper over next 6-12 months

Garage conversion and kitchen extension is the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Thats the plan. I think we will hold out for longer. Already holding out 6 months has made a difference in the price quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That’s a great price for the 45sqm is that mates rates or family member doing that job for you ?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That’s an excellent price could we see prices dropping more than that in the future ? And can I ask was that a standard builders finish no kitchen or tiles etc..

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

They have to drop Marty. Inflation in construction in the last 12 months or so has soared by 30/40%. Last year less than half the working population got a pay rise and people who did get one got no where near 30/40% with the cost living in other areas that are essential ramping up people will cut out big ticket spend this is the way it has been ad infinitum. As people stop getting build work done. The companies stop ordering the raw materials and less demand for these commodities will equal a lowering of prices. Now the issue is will the builders pass on the price decreases. This has already been seen in the last Quarter of 2022.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Hadn’t noticed, but I’m not in the country at the moment so it’s the wife taking pictures. Our arch and engineer are on site this week I’ll get them to look

Yeh it will drop. Mine was qouted at the start of 2021 at 61500 and then rose to the 71000 just before it started.

He tiled the two bathrooms, 2 electric showers and sanitary ware. Nothing fancy though. No shower trays needed or enclosures for example as they are wet rooms. They painted white throughout which we like and are happy with. The shower trays amd enclosures could easily set you back 2k depending on spec.

My advise to people is to shop around and dont rely on facebook etc. My lad was old school and the only person he brought in was a sparks for obvious reasons. He wouldnt have an online presence.

No steel work needed as we used an existing side door opening into the house.

There are builders out there who are realistic and arent looking to become celtic tiger millionaires if you feel me.

Now there is a caveat. The same builder honoured his price and didnt screw me. But he did say during the build that if he was reqouting it would have been closer to the 90k. I didnt get the feeling that he would be the type to screw someone over. Just materials and other stuff like skips and removal of soil and rubble were rising on a daily basis. I think that peaked from March through september last year.

But yeh prices are coming down and the devil is in the detail. Engineer was 1200 for 3 inspections and sign off for compliance. I think it was that. Cant remember fully.

The main thing for me is we had a great relationship with him and his lads. Never had words or a falling out. Always a bit of craic and we werent difficult customers. I think that counts for a lot too.

I'd tell people not to go without an Engineer for example. Its a false economy.

Insulation. 92mm.

Put plenty of sockets in too and be done with it. Provide the sparks with your own. You can buy the 5 pack usb sockets on amazon at a discount.

Do it once and do it properly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

our arch was there this afternoon, brick work had been redone.

builder said they bumped it during some steel work.

picture was taken Saturday morning. They fixed it yesterday.

IMO construction is slowing. Had a guy out to quote at the start of December, came back quickly with a quote of just over 100k for a 20 square meter extension and a relocation of a bathroom and the removal of a stud wall and to strip some tiles from a floor. Said it would take 7/8 weeks he had a job starting in Feb and could push this out. Told him his quote was overly high, he got back there the other evening saying he could quote it more competitively now and dropped it to 88k. Told him to come back to me when he can do it for under 70k.

That's encouraging to hear but I suppose the caveat is that the economy might be starting to slow too. Or maybe it's a sign of inflation and people not willing to pay those prices. Could be a bit of both.

For what it's worth I think even 60k is crazy money for a 20sqm extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

100k for that sounds like someone who doesn't want the work

Well the way he was pushing another contract out to fit me in would suggest he did want it and coming back 12k less would also suggest he wants it. He must of thought let the gouging continue. Its way too much still so will leave it for another 6 months and see what way the winds are blowing

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, hopefully all going a bit smoother now with a new builder on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

My friend was looking at extending his house. One guy he approached has agreed to do the attached at 65K, cash job.He is contemplating whether ti go ahead. Was recommended by another friend who was happy with the services provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

These single leaf builds just boggle the mind.

I wouldnt have anything to do with them but even so, whoever is building this is not a blocklayer and it's not to any kind of acceptable standard.

Blocks appear to be from different suppliers which is never a good start. Sizing can be poor nevermind the whole certification issue.

Little to no tie in on left side between this stepped back section and main structure. Line of blocks upright along door frame - no tie. Blocks above that are perhaps tied in on one course max. It's complete messing.

Lintel over door acting as a course of its own. I don't know how this is supposed to tie in with block courses as lintel is 65 versus 100 block.

203 x 203 beam possibly untreated. Upright block/concrete on corner under beam likely to try to get around the dodgy course heights due to lintel.

Bottom of build has coursing staggered on each 100mm course, top part staggered on 225mm coursing. It just screams absolute cowboy. I wouldn't rate that builder as being capable of doing that job.

I hope they employed the Engineer at least and are not using the builders Engineer!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

Not very aesthetically pleasing alright 😬

Post edited by billy_beckham on

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Id assume that isnt the drawing being qouted off and worked off? Not reputable builder would qoute off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

When timber fixed on, bit of plaster to straighten the wall, be grand.

• Advertisement

Or just do it right the first time 🤷‍♂️

Advertisement