Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Abel Magwitch

I dont see how there is an €8.5k gap

The Tesla has SU network which is not useful depending on your location (useless to me. Even look at the SU in south west Ireland. Tralee. What tourist goes to Tralee?? Should be Killarney)

Has heated rear seats. No use when boosters fitted

Both have some sort of autopilot. Tesla better but the promise of fsd is only that

Ioniq has fast charging in non Tesla charge points which support

Ioniq has V2L. Tesla doesnt

Tesla has all round cameras. Big bonus

Tesla has more storage

Ioniq has more comfortable seats

Tesla has better speakers

Ioniq exec plus 77 has larger range everyday non motorway than the sr tesla, which means it can only be comparable to lr. Drops drastically at high speeds and cold weather

The 0-60 speeds I presume Tesla is quicker but that is just a gimmick. Speed limits are there to be adhered to not to put other drivers in danger

Like I have said both have pros and cons. But dont try to tell me heated rear seats and steering wheel and lack of v2l and more modern look and feel make a those two comparable. You do you I guess. Maybe what I mentioned it good to you. That’s great. But don’t assume things like 0-60 speed and heated rear seats are important to all

Edit I forgot the panoramic sunroof. I have that in my other car and dont use it. So again no benefit to me

The i5 is a striking looking car, while the Tesla is an incredibly ugly car. Like impressively ugly. I say that as someone who is in the market for their first electric car.

Honestly the look outside and colour of the car dont really matter to me. If I owned an MY I could easily convince myself the white version is lovely. And do same for I5. People don’t seem to understand that a car’s festires are only good if you use them and should determine what you buy, not the whole bunch of features for the price. If you dont do that you enter the investment area which is a bad idea for cars. My two cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭John arse

You'd be fairly p%ssed off if you had just picked up a new Tesla???😤

True. But if you were about to pull the trigger it would be a huge bonus to sway your decision.

It will have big impact on Ioniq sales for sure. And future prices and sell on value

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Isn't that what people are posting already?

buy what suits your needs?

i5 V2L requires the top spec car. Not available on the budget version.

You also make it sound that the Tesla needs the super chargers to get the fast speed. Not true. The 170kw is achievable on all CCS chargers that can supply it. LR and P get 250kw.

I don’t think anyone is assuming what others need. Your post sounds angry as you can dismiss the options you don’t like and focus on the ones you do. That’s how everyone picks a car. Pick what you like

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭podge1979

V2L is available in all specs, the top spec is the only one that comes with Hyundai adapter. But you can buy one aftermarket easily.

Yeah internal plug only in the premium plus I have it use it quite a bit. I don't like the external hyundai adapter I don't trust plugging appliances in when raining even got a magnetic sleeve to cover it.

After market is better in my opinion one has an option of waterproof plug also. Thinking about getting that sleeve with Hyundai adapter is a bit awkward.

How do I sound angry?

I am simply saying that not judging a car on it’s most expensive aspect (battery size) and trying instead to say features which may or may not suit you should be used to judge the comparison is a little…silly

I have said numerous times both have pros and cons

But lets be honest. Heated rear seats and panoramic is a feature but not something that compares to battery size when talking about price

I am anything but angry on this. The MY is a cool car too

• Advertisement

It’s ok to have differing opinions. But to dismiss options is personal.

You have to compare like for like.

You can’t drop in the higher battery in the i5 (77 kWh) and keep comparing it to the base MY (60 kWh).

But yes. Choice is good.

I can’t have a car without a glass roof. Prefer sunroof that openings but they are getting rare now.

heated seats and steering wheel is one of those things you can’t go without after having them in much older cars. Should be basic features now.

Performance is very subjective. Even the 300bhp MY base is slow nowadays!

But anyway yes agree. Choice is good for the consumer and this Tesla reduction is sending shivers down the car market currently.

I am the one saying the sr My cannot be compared to the 77kwh Ioniq

Other posters saying it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I like the two cars, having both an i5 and a Model 3 in our family. Both cars very good in their own ways. But the software and UI of Tesla imo is at a different level. The single screen in Tesla is very simple, ok you have to look slightly to left for speedo, but it isn't straight in front of you in the Ioniq either.🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stand alone ones yes but you couldn't fit ones integrated and calibrated with the parking system as a whole. Fairly sure if not fitted by Tesla may void your warranty?

No need to go aftermarket. Software will be here before March seemly to bring Tesla Vision back to using beeping sounds it takes from the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’d suggest you watch the latest YouTube video of Bjorn testing the Model Y RWD in Thailand. Efficiency was remarkable and in his words it was “Ioniq go home”. Obviously looks are the big issue with the Tesla but the Ioniq 5 is also a very love it or hate it design.

You are comparing the 58kwh Ioniq or the 77kwh Ioniq to the MY rwd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think Bjorn's long standing joke is with the Ioniq 28kWh..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

They haven't had a delivery since September so nobody has just picked one up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I'd be surprised if the smaller battery Tesla wasn't quicker to a 1000km than the larger battery Ioniq. Model 3 60kwh did Bjorn's test quicker than and Hyundai, K or VW. Battery size isn't everything, look at an Etron. My old Ioniq 28 probably went further 😉

I would find that very plausible and would say no competitor will come close in future, the aerodynamics alone of the Teslas (then the efficient software) mark it in a field of it's own on a long scale like that

But most people buying an EV would travel 40/50km per day (average daily commute), charge at home and a good portion would be charging off their pv

However if you were a salesman etc or on the road all day I think the Tesla is a no brainer from an efficiency pov

Subjective about the other aspects but economy alone (with recent price drops) makes it no brainer for that cohort

I think the 58kWh Ioniq would be a better fit in terms of a comparison. The Model Y LR AWD would be the alternative to the 77kWh Ioniq 5 in my eyes.

Efficiency is going to be more important for everyone with the way electricity prices are heading. Public charging rates have gone up so much, they’re not that far off the cost of fuelling a diesel without the convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

For anyone that has battery preconditioning enabled can you tell us what software version you have?,

I went for a service last week andthe firmware I now have is dated from last November but I still don't have battery preconditioning .

Has anyone managed to get the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did you have "Winter Mode" in one of the option menus? If you did then you can get the preconditioning upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

I have seen that if you set a fast charger destination in navigation mode the battery will automatically precondition. Is this the only way to enable battery preconditioning. Picked up an executive on Friday and still getting to grips with it

@joe1303l out of curiosity what is your base case for electricity and petrol/diesel prices over say the next 5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

On older cars you need an update to the BMS to enable preconditioning, not sure if newer cars also need to get this done but I'd imagine if they're built longer than 3 months they would.

Yes you've to navigate to a fast charger to activate it.

Advertisement