Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All the protests are doing is making a bit of a show of some working class communities (what community wants to be associated with a bunch of Neanderthal bigots shouting slogans outside a refugee centre?). That's why we're seeing pushback in all of these communities against the actual protestors and people publicly stating they want nothing to do with them.

The population of Ballymun is 22,000. There were perhaps 200 people at that protest the other evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Water charge protests started off small like this and same was said about the people in them. One clown of a TD compared them to isis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Given how slow and reluctant Irish people are to protest about anything it's not an insignificant number from a local community.

Same goes for the East Wall.

I'm surprised at the number of protests around the country and there is obviously a lot of frustration there.

The issues about school places, housing and healthcare are very real and they are widespread. Lots of tut tutting from the good people of Ireland, the comfortable pensioners, the 'nice people ' .

Throwing dozens of kids with no English into a local school doesn't raise standards at that school, it lowers them. The single biggest education metric is student :teacher ratio.

It does take away places from other kids. Many of us have had to deal with this reality. NO SCHOOL PLACES for your kid. Taxpayer? Irish citizens? TOUGH LUCK.

Then WTF am I paying taxes up to 50% for?

Same for healthcare/GP access. When you add patients to the roster others drop off.

They drop off!

GP will offer you an appointment two weeks later. Hopefully you are alive then.

Same for housing. Its limited. When somebody gets housing others dont get it. They dont get it! Simple as that.

One can be isolated from that if you live on Dublin southside where these are less refugee centres and send your kids to Terenure college or the local Gaelscoil and your brother in law is a doctor.

I'm not blaming genuine refugees on this. I blame the govenrment for not implementing policies which will lessen impact on citizens. For instance why can Ukranians in Ireland not run their own schools and medical centers in some towns?

They have the numbers, skills and people to do this.

Post edited by maninasia on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Your laughing an awful lot... I live in the area, I know people who have encountered her...if it's an act she keeps it up 24/7 the poisonous cretin put it that way. Including relations. Let's hope she ends up back in jail...lol...lol...she is heading that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭lmao10

I'm certainly not a fan of hers but as a "leftie" I couldn't ask for a better person to be more prominent on the other side. So in that way I do appreciate her work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

@banie01 apologies boards won't let me delete an incorrect tag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We could be in an even bigger mess soon if the government doesn't start paying their bills

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Irish women and their kids standing in front of a refugee centre chanting "Get them out" makes that just a tad harder to sell, don't you think. How embarrassing.

Yes, a lack of proper role models for the children is an ongoing problem aparently.

Post edited by Boggles on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You have said that there was awareness that violence would be counterproductive.

How does chanting "get them out" fit in though. You were "get them out" at people who live there. Many people (including me) have described this as agressive and intimidating.

What do you think though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,096 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont understand that?

Are you saying they harbour ill will towards men from Ukraine and other Male asylum seekers?

The women and children in the Hotel in Ballymun were moved in there BEFORE the protest. Can you explain more about how they were supposedly moved in to undermine the protest? Are you clamining women in the hotel have publicly said they were moved in to undermine protest?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

That's incorrect. They are placing them in hotels and empty buildings in all areas. But the chances are the 3 star hotels are not located in premium residential areas. It's primarily working class areas that these far right agitators are targeting as they know they are less well eduacated and more liklely to believe the guff they are spreading.

There are quite a few Ukranians in Rathgar. Some are in BnB's there and some are in people's houses. I would say Rathgar is a rather opulent area. Similarly there are some in accommodation in Ballsbridge. Another opulent area. ButFar Right agitators would not be give one second of someone's time in these "upper class" areas as most people there are well educated and donlt take their news feed from tiktok.

Most Ukranians are being housed outside Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick & Waterford city areas - most "Irish" people in emergency accommodation are in Dublin (over 70%)

example - Eastern region - Adults in emergency accommodation - Dublin 5,356, Kildare 179, Meath 197, Wicklow 45.

The entire county of Roscommon has 8 adults in emergency accommodation.

When Children (those under 18) are included, Dublin is 7795.

So the "homeless issue is very much a Dublin issue. The entire county of cork is under 700 people.

Then lets look at the "look after our own" racist/xenophobic argument. 39% of those on the "homeless" list are not Irish. 22% are UK/EU and 17% are non-EU.

And if you cross reference it with the census, 18% are from the Traveller community who make up an extraordinary large number of the Dublin figures.

So if a representative sample of the "homeless" were put into the ESB building at east wall (300 people), 56 would be travellers, 66 would be UK/EU, 53 would be from outside the EU and 125 would be "White(washed) Irish".

Shows the stupidity of the argument the far right are using.

It's primarily working class areas that these far right agitators are targeting as they know they are less well eduacated and more liklely to believe the guff they are spreading.

There are quite a few Ukranians in Rathgar. Some are in BnB's there and some are in people's houses. I would say Rathgar is a rather opulent area. Similarly there are some in accommodation in Ballsbridge. Another opulent area. ButFar Right agitators would not be give one second of someone's time in these "upper class" areas as most people there are well educated and donlt take their news feed from tiktok

This is literally all your own worldview more so than theirs, and is far more reflective of your own elitism/snobbery than theirs. It's the typical middle class view of things though; that the middle class types are highly educated, so that means that they are very smart, when that's not really the case. I'm "educated", yet you'd happily put me in the "far right" camp.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

they're certainly smart enough not to stand outside places where emigrants are being housed shouting out out out. smart enough to know this is bottom of the barrel neanderthal behaviour that you do not want to be associated with whether you have a problem with housing emigrants or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's hard to see how a crowd outside your new 'home' chanting 'Get them out' would not be intimdating for a child of four or five if they understood the words and probably even if they didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Ill be honest, it seems pretty crazy that it's the Irish Governments problem to house that 39 percent

The more educated people of Ballymun, Eastwall & Drimnagh have not got involved. If anything they have tried to welcome the new arrivals but have faced threats from the rabble that are protesting.

The far right agitators are targeting a specific group in these areas hoping that this will lead to further numbers (numbers are falling off if last week's "protests" are anything to go by)

Remember is about 80-100 people max at ballymun and about 50-60 at East Wall. Have a look at the typical protestor and what they are saying. Obvious they lack education, most likely on social welfare and unbelievably gullible.

The vast vast majority of people in these areas are not protesting, are not gullible and do not follow this far right agenda and do not have any issue with the refugees who have not caused any problems.

1.2million Irish born people live abroad, 560,000 are in Britain and in London, up to the 90's it was the largest non-uk group taking up social housing and is still in the top 5.

So if its not Irish gov's responsibility, then quid pro quo, any Irish person living abroad in subsidised/state accommodation should be sent packing? - That in effect is your argument. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

This may be overthinking it but "get them out" could only be directed at the people in a position to "get them out" i.e. the government.

The chanting was as intimidating as any other form of chanting at a protest. I only saw men looking out of windows at us. Who seemed quite the opposite of intimidated given their hand gestures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd add too that there seems to be a lot of crossover between these groups and the anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine, climate change denial, anti-woke, conspiracy theorists (the "New World Order" and the "Great Replacement") etc people.

It would be wrong to label them all far right though. There seems to be a fair few "left wing Irish republicans" among their number.

As it says in the post you are referring to, about women and children being put in to a centre to make protestors look bad, the centre in question is the one in East Wall.

• Advertisement

Three words "Jury's Hotel, Ballsbridge"

I'm not sure what's so self evidently wrong with finding accommodation for 125 Irish people (plus 56 travellers who, it may need to be pointed out, are people too)

"smart enough"? Or wealthy enough not to need to, when they can pay for senior counsel to effectively say "out out out" on their behalf but in the High Court.

80-100 people in Ballymun?

Here's the backend of the protest in Ballymun last Sunday before it really got big.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1612505020292861965

The same poster literally wants to force most of Ireland into cities too, making the problem even worse than it is, yet somehow he sees no connection between the world that he wants and the response that he doesn't want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Good point, although a good number of those people actually built Britain, stafffed the hospitals and factories etc. Not a small contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No I just want ireland to follow best practices when it comes to dwellings and settlement patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Would you have a link for that? I tried looking it up, but I could only find figures for ethnicity, not nationality. White Irish is listed as an enthnicity, as is Black African & Black Carribbean. One is very specific, the other is very broad. If it was broken down by nationality, there would be a lot of countries that would fall under the latter, pushing Ireland down a lot. Even looking at the breakdown of ethnicity, “white Irish” isn’t in the top 5.

I would also imagine having Nationalists from the North who would describe themselves as White Irish would skew things somewhat.

Just interested to see the figures if you have them, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s amazing that immigration has become a left/right issue.

The left, unions etc had traditionally been anti immigrant. In Ireland, the canon saints of the Irish left, Connolly, Larkin were anti immigrant, anti semetic.

The granddaddy of the left, Karl Marx, was profoundly racist. His letters to Engels were littered with the N word amongst other racist abominations.

The Democratic Party in the US, the UK Labour Party, all sought to protect their voters by often racist immigration policies.

I am not sure why pro Brexit left wing parties like People Before Profit are pro unlimited immigration when it could be argued it served to drive down wages of workers who compete for jobs, housing and services with new arrivals.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

We never hear about the far left just the right funny how that works

• Advertisement

I don't think this genuinely about left and right at all. At least as traditionally understood.

I think the Left and their ideas have been so successful in Ireland and are so firmly embedded in positions of power and narrative control that when the state adopts a policy of open borders the left must be for it.

And anyone opposed to these policies adopted by the left must, according to them, be on the right. As nonsensical as that is.

My politics don't differ much from FF about 10 years ago. If I'm "Far Right" then so was Bertie Ahern. And Brian Cowen was a Right Wing extremist.

Big if true.

Advertisement