Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea coming to Cork

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Yeah, the meatballs are something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Been to Ikea 2 / 3 times and only ever had the meatballs once. Can't say I thought they were anything special ... made nicer ones myself :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Yeah, the meatballs are something else.

Ya probably horse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭thesultan

It would be great if it was youghal. A town that could do with a boast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

thesultan wrote: »
    It would be great if it was youghal. A town that could do with a boast.

Zero chance IKEA set up in Youghal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Cobh Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've been up there 3 times I think in Dublin and always left with more stuff than we ever intended on picking up.

If they come to Cork, herself will be down there every weekend. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

In terms of catchment, I've always thought putting a large Ikea near or in Cahir would be a good compromise.

An hour from Cork, Waterford and Limerick cities and not much longer for large towns like Ennis, Kilkenny and Mallow.

Two access points to the M8 and the old Dublin road, acting as a relief road to not affect the town.

Might give some impetus to upgrade the N24 on the Limerick end too.

In terms of catchment, I've always thought putting a large Ikea near or in Cahir would be a good compromise.

An hour from Cork, Waterford and Limerick cities and not much longer for large towns like Ennis, Kilkenny and Mallow.

Two access points to the M8 and the old Dublin road, acting as a relief road to not affect the town.

Great in theory but you lose out on the casual shopper. Someone who might pop in and buy something isn't going to drive an hour up the road to Cahir. I believe IKEAs preference is generally stores on the outskirts of a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The population of Cork is pretty much the same as the rest of Munster combined. Moving it from by far the biggest population centre doesn't make sense when places like Cahir, Mallow and Michelstown aren't well linked to more than one population centre; Cahir to Limerick still takes over an hour. I think there was an opportunity to link Munster by putting one international airport for the region somewhere around Mallow and linking it to Cork, Killarney, Limerick and maybe even Waterford via Motorway and Rail. If something like that existed an Ikea there would make sense but with the current infrastructure it doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I’ve heard that IKEA plan to open a second store in the Dublin area. Cork could do with an IKEA, it’s far enough away from Dublin to merit one, but I’d reckon given how big their stores are the other regional cities - like Limerick and Galway - just wouldn’t be big enough to warrant one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I aint driving to freakin Cahir for a few meatballs, free 45mins supervised kids play while i get dragged around looking at shoe storage solutions, lights and spoons

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Cork getting an IKEA store is their own Limerick's getting an M&S...

The M&S rumour pops up in limerick roughly every 18-36 months for probably the last 20 or so years

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Cork getting an IKEA store is their own Limerick's getting an M&S...

The M&S rumour pops up in limerick roughly every 18-36 months for probably the last 20 or so years

Cork is getting an IKEA, it is a while away but it is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Is it 100% confirmed, I heard there was some issues and it was putting the project in danger

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is it 100% confirmed, I heard there was some issues and it was putting the project in danger

Well they can't just move in, a lot of things things will need to be done to accommodate it, just like when they opened in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well you do have a name for being credible...

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well you do have a name for being credible...
    They do say that, they do :pac::):):)

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So it's actually happening now. Talk of it being just off the N40. Old Atlantic homecare perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Nah it’s a smaller store like the one in stevens green shopping centre. It’ll probably be in Blackpool or Merchants Quay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

CorkBeo it is claiming it will be off the N40, so I imagine Mahon, but here's hoping for Merchant's Quay, North Main Street or The Savoy. The city centre needs something like that in my opinion. The former Quills building part of The Savoy would be perfect

• Moderators Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

But isn't it going to be a collection center too? I'd imagine decent storage and access would be vital. Merchants quay, North main Street etc would be terrible for access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

I don't think so, but I could be completely wrong. I was of the impression it would be like a showroom

No don't think so. They're tiny places to plan kitchens and the likes. This is the one in St Stephens Green shopping centre. Absolutely miniscule.

The one in Naas is very small as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You just go in there and design your kitchen and wardrobe its delivered then. I've seen the one in stephens green, they have samples of panels etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

This, the event center and the road to Limerick. All supposed to be "on the way".

This is nothing like the others as those are public projects subject to the whims of government. IKEA are a private company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

For what its worth (given the last few posts from 2018), these stores do not have a restaurant, so you'll still have to go to Ballymun to get your meatballs.

The small IKEA unit is going into Douglas Village shopping centre apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Confirmed. Between Bresnans butchers and itsome, unit 17

Advertisement