Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Ill be honest, it seems pretty crazy that it's the Irish Governments problem to house that 39 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

The more educated people of Ballymun, Eastwall & Drimnagh have not got involved. If anything they have tried to welcome the new arrivals but have faced threats from the rabble that are protesting.

The far right agitators are targeting a specific group in these areas hoping that this will lead to further numbers (numbers are falling off if last week's "protests" are anything to go by)

Remember is about 80-100 people max at ballymun and about 50-60 at East Wall. Have a look at the typical protestor and what they are saying. Obvious they lack education, most likely on social welfare and unbelievably gullible.

The vast vast majority of people in these areas are not protesting, are not gullible and do not follow this far right agenda and do not have any issue with the refugees who have not caused any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

1.2million Irish born people live abroad, 560,000 are in Britain and in London, up to the 90's it was the largest non-uk group taking up social housing and is still in the top 5.

So if its not Irish gov's responsibility, then quid pro quo, any Irish person living abroad in subsidised/state accommodation should be sent packing? - That in effect is your argument. You can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

This may be overthinking it but "get them out" could only be directed at the people in a position to "get them out" i.e. the government.

The chanting was as intimidating as any other form of chanting at a protest. I only saw men looking out of windows at us. Who seemed quite the opposite of intimidated given their hand gestures.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd add too that there seems to be a lot of crossover between these groups and the anti-lockdown, anti-vaccine, climate change denial, anti-woke, conspiracy theorists (the "New World Order" and the "Great Replacement") etc people.

It would be wrong to label them all far right though. There seems to be a fair few "left wing Irish republicans" among their number.

• Advertisement

As it says in the post you are referring to, about women and children being put in to a centre to make protestors look bad, the centre in question is the one in East Wall.

Three words "Jury's Hotel, Ballsbridge"

I'm not sure what's so self evidently wrong with finding accommodation for 125 Irish people (plus 56 travellers who, it may need to be pointed out, are people too)

"smart enough"? Or wealthy enough not to need to, when they can pay for senior counsel to effectively say "out out out" on their behalf but in the High Court.

80-100 people in Ballymun?

Here's the backend of the protest in Ballymun last Sunday before it really got big.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1612505020292861965

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The same poster literally wants to force most of Ireland into cities too, making the problem even worse than it is, yet somehow he sees no connection between the world that he wants and the response that he doesn't want.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

Good point, although a good number of those people actually built Britain, stafffed the hospitals and factories etc. Not a small contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No I just want ireland to follow best practices when it comes to dwellings and settlement patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Would you have a link for that? I tried looking it up, but I could only find figures for ethnicity, not nationality. White Irish is listed as an enthnicity, as is Black African & Black Carribbean. One is very specific, the other is very broad. If it was broken down by nationality, there would be a lot of countries that would fall under the latter, pushing Ireland down a lot. Even looking at the breakdown of ethnicity, “white Irish” isn’t in the top 5.

I would also imagine having Nationalists from the North who would describe themselves as White Irish would skew things somewhat.

Just interested to see the figures if you have them, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s amazing that immigration has become a left/right issue.

The left, unions etc had traditionally been anti immigrant. In Ireland, the canon saints of the Irish left, Connolly, Larkin were anti immigrant, anti semetic.

The granddaddy of the left, Karl Marx, was profoundly racist. His letters to Engels were littered with the N word amongst other racist abominations.

The Democratic Party in the US, the UK Labour Party, all sought to protect their voters by often racist immigration policies.

I am not sure why pro Brexit left wing parties like People Before Profit are pro unlimited immigration when it could be argued it served to drive down wages of workers who compete for jobs, housing and services with new arrivals.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

We never hear about the far left just the right funny how that works

I don't think this genuinely about left and right at all. At least as traditionally understood.

I think the Left and their ideas have been so successful in Ireland and are so firmly embedded in positions of power and narrative control that when the state adopts a policy of open borders the left must be for it.

And anyone opposed to these policies adopted by the left must, according to them, be on the right. As nonsensical as that is.

My politics don't differ much from FF about 10 years ago. If I'm "Far Right" then so was Bertie Ahern. And Brian Cowen was a Right Wing extremist.

Big if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The people protesting might not have a college degree like the good folks in the posh parts of town but they were smart enough to know they were being lied to when a bus load of young men arrived last week instead of the women and children that were supposed to be coming to stay.

The reality is the Government haven't a clue how to handle this, a couple of hundred people a week are arriving here and there is no place to put them.

But these protests have thrown a curve ball at the Government they didn't see coming and we are only in January.

i thought there were women and children in ballymun no? what are there concerns anyway with the men?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Will you condemn the far left eco violence that left 70 police injured in Germany?

Pretty aggressive and intimidating don’t you think?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

The concerns are nobody wants to see a large group of men arriving in their area and they certainly don't want to be mislead which is what happened in this case.

I mentioned it before on the thread that over 100 Ukrainians arrived in my area and the first we knew about it was the day they came so people are being put into communities without telling the people living there about it.

We were lucky in that it was women and children but if it was a group of young men it would be a different story.

• Advertisement

Here's the video that kicked off things in Ballymun last weekend. Men getting off a bus and being put in an office building on Ballymun Road.

There are now at least three DP centres along Ballymun Road within sight of one another.

https://twitter.com/RealMessageEire/status/1611438105818726402

i mean like what are they worried the men will do in ballymun? anyone who knows the area would know that foreign men are the least of your worries in an area like that.

Are they though?

Think about it, these guys are coming from places where women are treated like dirt and videos have appeared over the last few months of them harassing young women in the areas where they are housed.

Local people have said this is going on in various places around the country where they are placed and an argument could be made its not true but its hard to say it didn't happen when video evidence is there for all to see.

Many have destroyed their documents to avoid being sent back but for some strange reason the Government lets them in, at present over 3000 people are here being housed and we have no idea who they are.

Whether a person is left or right on this issue we should all agree this is a ridiculous situation.

yeah it's a bit ridiculous, but to think the people of ballymun are somehow in danger from these men is also ridiculous if you ask me. if anything i'd say the men are more in danger rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The reason communities like Ballymun are vilified is because the more salubrious areas do not have to voice concerns about similar situations. So it is always going to be the less than grand areas that the spotlight is on.

As for labelling it Far Right, that seems to me to be the only strategy the Government or NGOs and other so called SJWs can think of at the moment to finger point at people's genuine concerns.

People are not being racist or Far Right IMV, I think they are totally fed up of being shat upon surreptitiously in the middle of the night with no recourse. Their fear is real, fear of having no voice, when others living in the same country will never have to put themselves out there to be labelled.

Thanks for that. I agree with almost all of it. Maybe it's my cheery disposition but I amn't as pessimistic about the possibility of the government changing course.

I think there's a chance.

Sinn Fein have a huge internal divide on the issue of immigration. Their woke supporters and party workers vs. their traditional supporters. It's almost two parties in one but they were covering over the cracks until this blew up. They can't quickly move their position on immigration.

There is a major political opportunity here for Leo. (Forget FF - as far as I can see they're now just a Micheal Martin vanity project).

If Leo appeals to that working/ lower middle class SF support with language about robust borders he could see a significant lift in polling numbers.

SF have a big vulnerability. It is there for someone to exploit. I've no idea if Leo is going to do it. But it certainly looks like an option.

yes, like the East Wall crowd. Their own crowd murdered 2 foreigners there in recent times. I wouldn't be worried about bumping into foreigners in East Wall, more the local scumbags who are attacking and killing people.

I wouldn't call Ballymun neglected either, it has had something like a billion euros pumped into it over the last decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

remarkable how you can refute a stereotype for one group of people whilst espousing a stereotype for another group and all in a mere two sentences.

it's not a stereotype, ballymun is rough af. you mustn't be familiar with the area i lived beside it for years.

• Advertisement

well I'll be moving around the corner from the East Wall centre in a few months so I'm totally ok with them being there doesn't bother me in the slightest. Anyone living in the real world and who knows Dublin knows that if you ever get any trouble in areas like that it'll be from the local scumbags not foreigners. I would have a preference over people from god knows where over locals who attack people going home from work and kill people yes, not rocket science.

I lightening branded the people who killed those foreigners as scum, god I'm so awful aren't I.

i just don't get why people care if these places are near them, especially if you live in a busy city with all walks of life anyway, I guess I'm a minority in thinking that way.

Advertisement