Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not a lot of coaches in the world who would give both halfbacks their first ever start in a game against Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i think what happens against toulouse (and further down the line in euro/urc knockout games) is going to be what decides it most likely. as much as casey is starting this week, i could easily see murray starting against toulouse so i dont think this game necessarily means casey is now first choice. this is a game munster realistically need maximum points from to be comfortable next week so im not surprised there are two attacking-minded 9s in the squad.

if this is in fact the new pecking order though, id wonder how long murray will last in the ireland squad, much as he does offer something different and his control could be very useful in the rwc. i do think hes gotten a massive amount of unfair flak recently but even allowing for that, i dont know if bringing a third choice 9 would be a great idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Farrell wasn't to know Crowley would be starting that game. Sexton pulled out very close to KO. No reason Casey couldn't have been named to start with Sexton at 10.

Anyway, so what if we'd lost it with Casey and Crowley? It would have been great exposure for them. And I'm still raging about our performance in that game, we were awful. It, like the Fiji game, felt like a bit of a loss to me even though it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Yeah, if you're gonna have a look at Casey and Patterson at ERC level, Northampton at home is the game to do it. Not Toulouse away.

I'd be shocked if Murray wasn't in the squad next week (and not surprised if he starts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think if murray was lined up to start against toulouse, he’d at least be on the bench for this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Fair point.

Nonetheless I don't think Casey is really in the plan - I think he would be competing with JGP in terms of style moreso than Murray. I also think his size will absolutely be taken advantage of at international level (somewhat akin to how I think RByrne is great at provincial level to a point but will never work at international level). I suppose you can argue this view is wrong, but there is a logic behind it.

If Murray is genuinely dropped it may force Farrell's hand. Its an interesting development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don't think Casey is really in the plan

But he clearly is in the plan as he's been the undisputed 3rd choice for well over a year now. One injury, and he's involved in a world cup quarter final.

Whether you agree with it or not, Craig Casey is Ireland's 3rd choice scrum half. That much is fairly obvious. And yet, he's never started against a tier one team. I think that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sexton was named to start and got injured in the warmup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cannot see Murray dropping out of Ireland squad, Farrell doesn't really seem to be too bothered about provincial pecking order as long as the guy is doing well in green, and Murray has been playing well for us.

I think Ross Byrne is in with a good shout of a call up, especially if we name four OHs given Sexton's uncertainty. I don't think Crowley's position is cemented yet.

Other than that, I don't expect many new faces. Henshaw's injury and Hume's lack of form might open a slot for Jamie Osborne or maybe even Frisch.

With Furlong a doubt and Loughman also injured, we might get a look the depth chart at prop. Salanoa could do himself a big favour today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Salanoa Irish eligible?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He has been in Ireland since 2017 so he would have qualified on residency by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I think he'll get overlooked but Ross Byrne is playing so well at the moment. Definitely deserves to make the squad imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jamie Osborne's form demands selection for the Six Nations squad, I think. He has played in every position from 11-15 this season and excelled in each of them.

In attack I think he's close to the complete package. He's a lovely passer off either hand, runs great lines and has excellent footwork. His versatility works in his favour, but I think centre will be his long term position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Surely Coombes gets a recall to the national squad given his form of late. His performance today was incredible. He was involved in all three of Munster's tries, made a host of tackles and also won at least two turnovers.

His versatility has to be a big selling point. He's looked very assured at lock these past few weeks, an area where we are not particularly strong outside of the 23. The fact that he can play 6, 8 and second row to a high level has to be in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hansen was wonderful today, playmaker, linebreaker, finisher...

My little cousin did well today at half time in Thomond Park,passed well, made his tackles and got a try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I would like to see him in the 19 jersey for the 6N. Conan is a sub now for Leinster and not showing great form, he has been usurped by Baird. On current form the 19 jersey should be a straight out battle between Baird and Coombes. I think Farrell prefers athletic backrows who are mobile and can carry in the wide channels. That may count against Coombes, he's an out and out battering ram ala CJ Stander. He's a huge man and very strong. Against the likes of France or SA he's an option, we don't have too many big buachaills like him. He was dropped after the NZ XV game in the autumn, and rightly so. What good is he's shown a serious reaction since then, a sign of top level mentality.

Best I've ever seen him play - he was absolutely everywhere today. Particularly liked the clever line and hands to release Jack O'Donoghue for his try. Excellent performance, he'll surely be back in the Irish squad this week.

Yeah I think he has to be in there. That kind of versatility is invaluable in a world cup squad. He's slotted in at 12 at Thomond on Stephen's Day and today away on his European debut, and far from looking overawed, he was the best player on the pitch today.

Could be between him and Frisch for a place in the squad, but I'd have Osborne ahead of him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Aki going to be in the squad? Haven't seen or heard of him in an age

• Advertisement

Coombes' recent form would definitely have him in the squad, yesterday was icing on the cake. Will be interesting to see if he can break the match day squad.

Interesting call in the back three, whether Earls is at the end of the line, Would expect Balacoune, Larmour and JOB to be involved. Lowry, not so much, and maybe Haley depending on the size of squad.

Centres: Ringrose, Aki, McCloskey, Osborne. I assume Henshaw is out for the early rounds at least.

OH; won't be surprised if they call up four and Ross Byrne is in.

SH; JGP, Murray, Casey.

Props: Salanoa to get a call up. Not sure who the next LH is if Loughman is out.

Hooker: assuming Herring is out, Stewart to get a call

SR: the usual trio plus Joe McCarthy and maybe Niall Murray?

BR: Doris, POM, VDF, Conan, Coombes, Timoney and Baird. Prendergast too maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Are you forgetting Treadwell or is he injured?

Earls is done I think, unless he pulls a good performance away to Toulouse, he hasn't played much this season and his two recent performances were as poor as I've seen him play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope Loughman recovers in time. Would like to see him involved. Tom O'Toole may not make it due to injury, so Salanoa should get a call.

Coombes will get a call too. Prendergast may lose out. Earls hasn't warranted a look, imo. Others have played really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

The 6 nations panel is named Thursday so before munster play toulouse.. Lowe is home in New Zealand for family reasons so hard to know when he will be back..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Conan is playing very well. Just goes to show the level he was playing at previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conan is getting a lot of criticism. Not warranted. Imo. He obviously has the tools in his locker that AF likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would not be shocked to see Osbourne start if Henshaw is injured for start of the 6Ns. He's been sensational this season, and I'd argue already showing more talent than Aki or McCloskey. If Lowe is out, I could see Farrell valuing his massive boot too. Choices galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Osborne looks like a good player and he’s probably someone who i significantly underrated… at the same time though… I’d start Aki or McCloskey ten times out of ten in an international in front of him at 12.

Advertisement