Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Closed V 2.0 [Mod note post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah crap, been meaning to give some business to Level Up for ages, left it too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,664 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Meant to do the same myself. Problem is everyone I know said they "must go there someday" but I don't know anyone who actually went.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

I live literally up the road from it and have never been inside the door of the place. Been thinking ill go in some time since it's opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,563 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If Level Up Arcade couldn’t get the Mary I crew midweek they were screwed from the start. It’s an awful location - not particularly walkable

That site was always a problem. Unless someone makes it a restaurant really worth going I can't see many venturing down.

As for level up I stuck my head in once to enquire and it did just look like a kids arcade with beer. The bar area reminded me of birthday parties in the Crescent Shopping Centre and the games are all on a different floor.

An arcade bar in a better location that's actually a bar and has a hipster vibe can work or better yet all the really successful Level Up type places I've been to have bowling or golf or something.

• Advertisement

Ya agreed on the fast-paced bowling setup/crazy golf setup working better

I will say, I liked the idea of it and respect it. A lot of money pumped into it gone to waste I’d say. Will be hard to sell off the machines at any profit. Pinball/Arcade machines trading at an all time low

Ya I love the idea too and I'm not trying to keep shting on them but from what I could see they didn't have the old games people my age would remember from childhood (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Daytona) which is essential if you are running an arcade for adults (I could be wrong about not having them)

Mary I students really are not a suitable demographic for an arcade bar. Most of those kids have no history or culture of arcades.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭dav09

It had Daytona 2 for about 6 months along with Sega Rally, Manx TT, etc. But all difficult machines to keep running due to their aging hardware. From week 3 onwards it pretty much always had Street Fighter 2,3 and USF4. Also always had either a Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 apart from possibly a 2 month period in the middle along with tonnes of super rare stuff like Paperboy, Mai Mai, Killer Instinct 2, NBA Jam, Tekken 7, Outrun and tonnes more throughout its time. The place was entirely Retro, Japanese and pinball focused for the first two years, and some more family games appeared towards the end but never wanted the modern ticket redemption junk, proper games only, cycled through machines every couple of weeks so over 100+ went in and out over the three years. It was a proper passion project for the city and very unique in the country, it's difficult to get a site anywhere near that size unfortunately any more central incl the function room and games area, tried a lot of things but yes location was definitely a big part of the issue.

Driving through over Christmas the once famous Ivan's now gone and in its place a Laya Health Clinic.

That’s been like that for couple of years now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ivans closed around 8 or 9 years ago. The Laya clinic opened 2 years ago.

Wasnt the business there trading as Ivan's up to 2 years ago? As a Clareman I usually bypass the city and stay on the motorway. I did see that the Ryan hotel is a building site and that a guest house run by a lady called Bogue or Bogan on the left hand side of the Ennis Road looked derelict.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

IIRC it was sold by the Cremin's family and the new owner traded as a deli or bakery using part of the Ivan's name, then it became an Asian restaurant/noodle bar before it was taken over by LAYA

I only had a look around for a possible future event I obviously missed an area. It was all physical basketball games and the likes from what I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭dav09

Yup it was a big spot, some people completely missed upstairs and some of the other areas we had games in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im gutted for you I know ye put the elbow grease in from your posts in the Arcade&Retro forum and Twitter but modern Ireland just isnt set up for anything interesting like that especially Limerick, mediocrity is the order of the day, coffee shops, charity shops and UK chains like Sports Direct are all thats wanted or can survive. I hope you get back on the horse some day, I guarantee if the location is a bit more convenient Ill bring a few shift nights out from work into ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

The last line being more "hipster" please good no, exactly the opposite of what an proper arcade bar type setup that they where going for , student market is probably the best target market for a lot of the machines dav09 had and in ireland as much as it gauls me to say probably to right market as targeting only arcade and retro gamers will have you empty and bankrupt in no time ! :P

They/he had some very sought after machines and as usual most people probably dont appreciate what they where and probably even more so the students .

hope ye get back up running somewhere at somepoint soon !

I'm just going off what I have seen work.

I don't think 18 to 20 year olds with no culture of arcade gaming are the right target market. As you said yourself students more so than others wouldn't appreciate it. It doesn't seem like that was the plan anyway people just assumed that because of the location.

Themed bars are very rare in Ireland so it's a pity alright. I was told there is crazy golf going in under Hunters but no idea where they are with that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭geotrig

I understand what you are saying and agree that themed bars /entertainment is rare in Ireland but way going after one target market will ultimately fail here .they did well and had it pretty much open to everyone ,i do agree students going was probably more oppertunisitic and just happened because of the location but it helped them tick over.

I don't think 18 to 20 year olds with no culture of arcade gaming are the right target market.

none of us had any culture of arcade gaming before we ever ventured into an arcade and yet I, you and others managed to get into it back in the day. Levelup just introduced it to a new generation with some good classics along with the bigger games of now ,maimai , ddr and all the rhythm games that are all big among the youth of today and all have big followings and communities , I don't personally like that it was a bar but thats a personal perspective and probably made it more viable in the long run.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Had to delete some speculative comments, and issue an infraction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks does anyone know what's going on with the Cornmarket Carpark?

It seems to be closed for weeks at this stage. It's my usual go to parking spot and whilst it being closed isn't the end of the world, it is odd that I've seen no news about it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭adaminho

It seems there is work going on in there. They had a sign up with the closing duration on it, but seems to have been covered over.

Also the t-shirt place in the Parkway has closed their store to go totally online.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It closed down in early December. There were signs up saying that it would reopen under new ownership in January.

I know it's technically Clare, but I see the Sports Factory in Corbally is 'closed for renovations'. Hope it doesn't mean in reality that they're shutting down quietly etc. since they've given no indication of a reopening date. Advanced bookings must have been scarce.

I will say, I love it there (only been once), but the price to quality ratio is non-existent. It was very pricey for what you got. €22 per adult (you'd be there no more than an hour at most) and a lot of the activities were rubbish, so I'm not sure how things could be changed to add value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

@callaway92

Where is the Sports Factory in Corbally?

Same building as National Kart Centre and Kidzone or something is there too I think (if I remember right)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭maebee

Ya that's the industrial estate.

Sports Factory is the business closing for 'renovations'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Subway in Roxboro has closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Not Limerick specific but Parcel Motels are closing at the end of the month. I used get parcels delivered to Cirkle K on Dock Rd and collect on the way home from work

Advertisement