Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Oh I've cut out new years resolutions. As you say, you set yourself up for failure. Just focus on trying to do your best, and look out for those you care about, without letting 'parasites' in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

In a real old mental panic today. Just going round in circles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

More a despair type situation here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

(((Hugs)))

I can't offer any practical support but I can fully empathise. Lower than I've been in a long, long time and not seeing any light

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's a tough month for a variety of reasons and then there are our own personal situations too. Stay the course, brighter days are (literally) coming

• Advertisement

It's the new year. Slept through Saturday. By all means, was a horrible day yesterday, so I didn't miss anything (power was out, thunder and lightning, and rain pouring from the sky). I only got two hours sleep on Friday due to a series of events that were beyond my control, that then left me with little sleep that day. Had a therapy appointment too, so had to apologise for being a bit out of it before hand. No amount of coffee kept me awake.

This weather is wrecking my sleep schedule. Either sleeping too much, or over sleeping completely.

Like a vegetable here today.

My get up and go has gone.

I've been like that the last few days. My sleep pattern is in crap.

The weather hasn't helped, some hailstones that walloped the windows while I was trying to catch up on sleep, meant I over slept. I suppose I'm grateful that I haven't had a panic attack in weeks. Little steps.

Yep, it's very useful to get up and goto bed at the same time everyday. Easier said than done.

• Advertisement

On paper, yes. But life isn't like that. Our internal demons/ clocks/ etc can mess up. For me, I don't know, but it feels like possible post-covid, I don't know, but I can get zapped. Like, do too much (and there's no set amount of 'what's too much') and I can find my energy gone the following day.

It can also feel like, at least with me, that I'm stealing life from someone-wasting life, especially when you see so many people who died young, or were killed in an accident. Makes me feel like a parasite.

It's a mental health issue that makes you feel the way you do. It's as valid as a physical health issue. Also, there are combinations of mental, physical and life circumstances that make things the way they are and cause these issues.

I've several hard problems that bring on my anxiety. And that brings on depression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please make sure you do something every day that makes YOU smile ad that YOU enjoy?

I never think in terms of "mental health" issues etc. it is all basically natural and in many ways a valid reaction to what our life is throwing up/ And as normal and healthy reaction to life.

So why label is as a health issue? Let alone a mental health issue.

Just now I am drained and exhausted. Many would call this a mental health issue. But it is a normal, healthy and very unpleasant response to the utter chaos of the last few days here. eg computer dying as the modem failed and all the extreme hassle as i am offshore of getting it resolvd with very little time on my phone.. so five days with no emergency cover.. Superwoman I am not!. To me far healthier to realise that and deal with it gently and realistically. being kind to ourselves is strong and sensible...

The nights are really hard. Tough, lonely and exhausting.

Far too much time for thinking to get negative and dark alright

I know I am much older than most here but I solved much of that decades ago by having books, TV, knitting by my side abed. Any simple craft or puzzle occupation breaks the isolation wondroulsy. One year I bought one of those huge colouring posters and when sleepless worked on that.

I know the "advice" is to do the opposite than have activity options near you. But it works for me.

I just refsued to let this depression etc steal so many hours of my life. said NO. So now at least when it is bad - and it gets very very bad- there is something to show for it.

Some folk go for a w alk but I am not ablle for that. I DID used to get up and deep clean etc. Scrubbing the floor at 3 am... lol...

Anything but lie there in darkness and despair. Life is too short and precious. So I take control. Not had a really bad night in ????

I'm awake at night because I have to be., due to being a carer. I'm not lying on my back staring at the ceiling. I could sleep standing up if I had the opportunity. The lack of sleep and the deep, bottomless sadness of witnessing my father being eroded by dementia before he dies is chipping away at my mental health. And yes, I mean "mental health".

While I think it's a good reminder that doing activities helps to fight depression I also think it's important to remind people that as depression progresses the ability to motivate oneself to do anything disappears. Its a key, red flag symptom and no one should be beating themselves up if they find themselves in that position and speaking as someone with experience of it, if anyone taking this thread finds themselves in that situation, please, please go to see your GP.

I've been a carer a few times in my life, and it's a very, very difficult job.

I was a night owl before that, but it made me a die-hard night owl after. Was definitely one of the most stressful things I've been through.

Sometimes meditation can help. We often restrict our breathing during stress, unwillingly and unknowingly, part of the fight or flight response, I believe. Then you just have to take ten minutes to catch your breath.

Have you been using any resources that might help with regards to caring for your dad? I know there are some respite places. Had to avail of them when things got very stressful.

That there is no respite care for good folk like you makes me so..... Years ago when I was younger and more able I involved in a "night guardian" scheme to allow good daughters like you to have even one night a week of sleep. WIsh there were something like that for thee..There was continuity so we got to know the people. That was in Donegal. I KNOW that you will have looked into all that.

Whilst I wouldn't qualify as a good daughter (having an XY chromosome rules that out, :) ) there were nurses who would often come by, and give advice. One or two could be helpful, the others could be more a nuisance than anything.

A lot of the decent services don't avail of government funding, and instead rely on the kindness of donations.

• Advertisement

Really getting tired of these intermittent 'hibernations'-where I can't seem to get out of bed.

The weather seemed to set it off yesterday (Tuesday)-rain, snow, thunder.... all within the span of a few hours, and had to cancel plans today because of it.

Probably isn't helped by my procrastinating a task my counsellor gave me as sort of a checklist of grief. Strange to explain, honestly.

Yep, I have a list of difficult problems to confront/deal with. And work is a continuous todo list. No energy for the "easy" tasks after all that. But I do eat healthy, mostly, exercise when I can, and sleep as well as I can. But it's a real hamster wheel life.

Just cannot rise to doing anything. Hate caving in so early but needs must close all and sleep. Tomorrow will be a better day and even if it is not we will cope. The situations this week meant dealing with a lot of hard issues and officialdom. And being without internet access etc made it far worse.

This lifelong illness that was not recognised let alone treated etc for over 30 years and even then disregarded is at times impossible to bear. But we try! Then some think well she is not ill! So then I vanish to cope with it all... gets too exhausting to try to explain!

We do what we can and the "Phoenix Rising" forum is a good resource that I can contirbute to .. But there s no end to it, Noone ever gets better byt if you say it is "incurable" folk do not accpet or admit that.

This week has been a slice of hell for that and now I am at the end of any strength I had . We used to say that t least a

A borken leg is visible so folk believe in it.. We look normal.. so no leeway with situations like last week.

Over fifty years now it has been since a bad flu triggered ad led to Myalgic Encephalomylitis.

Still so many joys and pleasures in life! Still beauty. Still love!To give.

Overwhelmed... just that.

Post edited by Graces7 on

I've avoided getting very ill for a few years, but I know a few folks who have caught that flu that's going around. It's awful. Had to send a medicinal package to one relative (over the counter meds, a cough bottle, and a few lozenges) because they couldn't get out of bed. Couldn't get to a pharmacy.

It's an absolute bugger. A few of my brothers friends were in bed for Xmas and New Years with it.

I don't really know what advice to offer.

Thankfully I am resourceful enough to stay home without too much problem. And with the M.E energy is gold dust.

And moving offshore to a small island with few folk was also a liberation. As is the internet. Can yoy imagine the total isolation without it? No email or forums.

We can travel the world.. chat with folk overseas. Even make new close friends and sometimes later meet them. I have done that with folk from the US.

Kindnes heals...Thank you... And it is simply my permanent state with this illness (M.E) that sometimes gets the better of me. I have in a very real way to cut my cloth according to my means and "life" does not always understand that does it? as we all know. lol..

I have had a good sleep . some favourite food ( fresh white bap with real butter and lemon curd!) and am ready for the fray again! In my small way... And I keep in stock any meds I might need. Plenty of fluids is a key too. And geting some simple pleasures out of life.

AND avoiding flu etc. It was flu that triggered the M.E to start with. Please take care out there..

Small treats work wonders.

As long as I stay clear of catching flu etc ...

Now where is the chocolate..

andn then "life" intervenes and down we go,

WE are not the problem are we? Iti s the """"""""out everywhere.......

WE can cope fine...but

Back abed ad nor budging ever agaiin! Just all..

Have been in an especially bad way the last 4 or 5 days. Stuck between a rock and a hard place. The local mental health team won't prescribe medications for me anymore. Suffering as a result. Told to go to St.Lomans in Mullingar if I need immediate help.

Have you tried contacting any support lines, or friends or family?

• Advertisement

Had one or two bad incidents with the samaritans, which put me off others. No friends for a few years now sadly. And family, none that would be of use here specifically.

A bit better today anyway.

Advertisement