Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

I hope to fook Klopp isn't hoping Ox and Keita are going to contribute anything of note. Tempted to include Fabinho also but I'm hoping he'll recapture some form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Henderson is captain, if nothing else start a fight, show passion,get angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd be starting Keita over Fabinho or Ox right now anyway. At least the fella can actually run - so let's use his running until whenever he gets injured again. Fabinho and Ox should be out of the team until they show in training that they can still shift above a trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

This season almost gives credence to tbe asthma theory...

It's that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

Absolute write off of a season. I just hope the damage done by not getting top 4 doesn't set us back years. I've a feeling it will

Post edited by jones on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone want to take a guess on how many more points than us Man City have won over the last 10 games?

1 point.

A lot of focus on Liverpool's problems but maybe after years of such high performance and now a change in tactics from both clubs things aren't so rosey.

Hopefully we get a new midfielder in and the massive gap in midfield can be narrowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I was just going to point this out. We have completely taken the focus of how poor City have been. City got the early season bounce from Haaland but in reality they have been a shell of themselves compared to the last few years....I actually don't think they will finish in the top 2 this season! Both teams are shells of themselves from last seasons epic battle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah fair point about city in the last 10 games *but* they are still 11 points ahead of us after 18 games so it's all semantics really.

We've been terrible, city have been a bit more hit and miss than usual but no where near as bad as we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Agreed, City have dropped points but still dominating games. Yesterday for example, thet were in complete control and then a freak few minutes killed them.

We on the other hand were shocking and deserved exactly what we got.

Far easier to see City start picking up lots of points than us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Haaland was a massive boost for them early days though and we have had a huge amount more injuries this season.

I'm just pointing out that both teams have been well below par this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Very hard to know where we go from here, a malaise seems to have set in throughout the club at all levels. unbelievably we aren't signing a midfielder (we probably need at least 2) which is totally negligent, but, was predicted; The Gapko signing seems bizarre considering the state of our midfield, hopefully he works out in the long run. As we're not getting any midfielder and all our midfielders are currently out of form or can't run 🤦‍♂️, we need to change tactics in the short term, but, as we saw with the defensive crisis a few seasons ago Klopp is too stubborn to change tactics, so it'll be a case of playing the same tactics and players with the odd tweak and hoping that players come back into form, despite playing like they have lead in their boots; at the moment the players we have aren't capable of implementing Klopp's normal gameplan.

In the short term we should try to become more compact and look at becoming a counter attacking side using Salah and Nunez' s pace. At the moment we are all over the place defensively, ( a lot of it down to how poor our midfield is), giving up so many clear cut chances, very sloppy in possession and playing Salah too far from goal.

The season is virtually a write off already, Wolves will probably knock us out of the cup and Madrid will dump us out of Europe again. No European football next year will make it more difficult to attract the players we need, plus with so much uncertainty off the field it's difficult to know what state we'll be in by start of next season. For a start The midfield needs a total clear out, but, can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

We take the last 10 games to compare ourselves to city..... 18 games played...let's look at the last 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

With what we have i’d Just play Salah up top with Gakpo behind, get an extra body into midfield.

Start Henderson, Fab, Thiago Kieta together for once. Henderson covers for Trent, Fab covers for Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

But the thing is Henderson hasn't the legs to cover Trent anymore. The problem is the huge gap left by Trent when he wanders and couple that with the ridiculous high line designed for fast players to cover. We have been an easy target for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Would Ruben Neves bring something somewhat similar to Gini in his pomp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't get that signing right now

Neves biggest weakness is his inability to run , which is also our biggest weakness that we need to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Fair enough. Not advocating signing him, just curious if he's the type of player who would fulfill that role. Seemingly not. I absolutely agree that we desperately need legs in the midfield.

Thiago been getting quite a bit of stick from some posters. I don't think he's able to play his natural game without someone akin to Gini and a good DM beside him. I really feel for Fab. He's a shadow of his former self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Doesn't matter. Just get numbers into midfield and stop being overrun.

We cannot recover if we go a goal down so we need to prevent it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Did we not play 442 in the first half yesterday, looked like is at times anyway. Was poorly implemented but looked like Ox was playing as a LM without the ball. Back 4 was all over the place though as normal, can't be too hard to organise a middling defence if the will is there to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Until the midfield issues are addressed we are going nowhere fast, at the moment we are one of, if not the worst team in the league.

• Advertisement

All this midfield bull is just that, we have great midfielders ffs, the best in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thankfully Everton make us look somewhat functional but I'm struggling to see where we get 40 points from. Every team has us sussed and we've no plan A, nevermind plan B.

You look at United playing yesterday, men v men, fully committed, no one gets a inch, while we look like a bunch of wimps out there, no fight, no anger, no will power. That is down to attitude, not ability.

I dunno, I can't tell if you are trolling or serious this time.

Playing a B team against Wolves may be the requirement. Risking more "tiredness" of our main players only to go back to Brighton to be hammered and another game in the schedule seems like too much.

Again I look to Henderson, he's no leader when things are going bad, that is when you lead, not when you're winning. Roy Keane was a leader, Gerrard was a leader, Veira was a leader. You need to fight, push the boundaries, start a war on the pitch, US v THEM. ..then others follow you!

Few months ago Thiago was best in the world, not just a great player, a world class player, Fabinho regarded as best in the world at what he does, Henderson a machine, a leader, Keita who made the quad a possibility, 40 plus great appearances last season, Elliot the rising star, Carvalho the next Thiago.

So we have the players, but they are in system overload, too much info, too much puppeteering from the bench, on the field you cut the strings, and play it as you see it, it seems to me the players are told '' fill this space, hold here, this will solve the problem'' while the opposition fill another space, and the puppets stay put and allow it, you adapt on the field, you sense danger, you kill the space, you abandon your position and track when you need. You play on the edge, and do what's required, you live on your wits on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

I will take heart in Arsenal and United being joke shops for the last few years and then being able to turn it around this year. This years lull doesn't mean we are destined to going back to being also rans. Ofc things will have to change and hopefully the club make the right moves in the summer.

In the same way they can tell that a lad is a great player to have around the dressing room 🙂

yea he would be another luxary like thiago. Would be fine alongside prime henderson and gini but would add to our problems right now rather than solving them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bit of a Sunday Smeltdown post / rant but yeah - some musings.

Full disclosure I was a fan of Henderson for the duration of time at Liverpool. He has plenty of critics as it is. But he has been very poor this season. His legs have gone, and they were a massive part to his game. He had a good World Cup and in hindsight maybe he was saving himself for that, it was his last one after all, so I can see why he did that. A lot of people would do the same, especially considering the effort he has put into his club career the last 10 years, let alone the last 5.

But his performances are really affecting the club. He's been really bad. Which happens, but is there more to it? He's club captain. He has to play every game or least expects to play most games. He's the dressing room leader - goes to the manager with problems within the squad etc. Sort of controls it in a way, making sure every one is happy. If you drop Henderson or sub him off every game etc, he's gonna be upset and this can cause bad morale in the changing room. If you drop Naby Keita, he accepts it and works to start again. Henderson won't. Now maybe that's the sign of a good mentality, but it's hurting the team.

But my main point is maybe the sharp decline is linked to Henderson. Tin foil hat time here perhaps.

The Edwards & Klopp dynamic in terms of recruitment and contracts is working excellently. Players are signed at the right time, contracts given out at the right time or players released at the right time.

But then Summer 2021 and there are some clearly designed stories put into the press about Henderson only having 2 years left on his contract. He was 31 at the time. There was links with Atletico Madrid etc. Clearly from him side through agents etc for a new deal and look it's part of the game these days to force clubs to act. Michael Edwards was still the Director Of Football at the time and the data guys must have decided that Henderson was not worth having around past his 33rd birthday in 2023. They could forsee a drop in endurance etc perhaps.

Klopp stayed loyal to his player, his captain, his leader and overruled Edwards, forcing the club to give him a new 4 year contract. The start of the data guys not being listened to. At the time it could be said that maybe it will a once off, but it's the start and the barrier has been broken.

4 months later Edwards officially handed in his notice after a month or two of rumours and talks of being put on gardening leave. Maybe he thought that his position wasn't as strong as before where his ideas are not being followed up on. Maybe some younger players were being suggested as recruitments but being advocated by Klopp because he thinks that his players - Fabinho Hendo Milner Thiago Ox Keita etc all have many years left in them.

Edwards leaves and Ward comes in. Tchouameni is heavily wanted but the club come up short. Instead of signing an alternative, Milner gets a new contract. The recruitment team had put forward Enzo Fernandez and Bounanotte amongst others but are not signed. Who vetoed those signings, at a low cost? Was it the coaching team or was it the owners? Nunes from Sporting Lisbon is also linked. It's also said at this time that Klopp & Ljinders are having more of an influence on recruitment. Diaz was signed on the recommendation of Ljinders through his contacts in Portugal after working. Klopp publicly declares liking Nunez after a CL game and he is signed. Another Portuguese based player. Nunez was a very direct shift in change of playing style. The shift away from Bobby false 9 to a more traditional direct number 9. It's a big change.

Then Ward & Ian Graham announce they are leaving suddenly. Two more longstanding members of the data team. Why? Within 2 weeks, and there is talk that Liverpool want to sign Nunes from Wolves, 6 months after the club passed up on the opportunity of signing him from the Portuguese league. This morning there are links to Neves, a Portugese player who IMO does not suit the style of play. He's a young player and am no means writing him off or the transfer but Fabio Carvalho doesn't scream Klopp player to me. He's more of a technical player in a free role. Not a physical midfielder or a goalscoring, direct wide man. All these players who are either Portugese or coming from the Portuguese league. Maybe it's a coincidence.

But why is there such a disconnect between recruitment now with somewhat random styles. We used to see a midfield that was full of physical players who can really run hard, big players. Now we are looking at slower, smaller players who can pass the ball nicely. Elliott is getting a lot of game time.

Something happened behind the scenes that we don't know about. 3 major players in the recruitment team have left in the last 18 months. The recruitment has gone backwards in the last 18 months. The club used to be so decisive in the transfer market and act super smartly. That doesn't seem to be the case any longer, unfortunately. Other clubs have caught up too, so that advantage is no longer so strong. Look at Brighton, Brentford etc using their models and how they are lauded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

I won't quote your post Fitz but reading that reminds me of the Rodgers Vs recruitment committee battle all those years ago. Are we back to that again ? Call it the data team but it has the same function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Probably just more Twitter nonsense but there’s a few rumblings about the sale of the club today. Apparently the same guy who first reported Salah’s new contract thinks a deal is done with the Qataris.

Again, more than likely BS, but thought I’d post it anyway just to distract from the result yesterday.

Sam Wallace referenced expected developments in the sale in the coming weeks in an article today but didn’t hint at the buyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Unfortunately, I think so. And it's the reason why the data guys are leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Best post for a long time. A lot of this sort of shït gets posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I have been speculating myself about Ljinders role in the whole mess. I mean when do you ever see an assistant / coach release a book when they are still coaching at the club. Hints at an element of arrogance and I wonder at how big of a role he is playing in it all. You need to he a bit big headed if you release a book when you are just an assistant. Could he be rubbing others at the club the wrong way. It seems he is the guy Klopp is backing.

Ten points behind that Newcastle team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

So we have the players, but they are in system overload, too much info, too much puppeteering from the bench, on the field you cut the strings, and play it as you see it, it seems to me the players are told '' fill this space, hold here, this will solve the problem'' while the opposition fill another space, and the puppets stay put and allow it, you adapt on the field, you sense danger, you kill the space, you abandon your position and track when you need. You play on the edge, and do what's required, you live on your wits on the pitch

Is this from a bad movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And the way we are playing that will end up 20 points

I do wonder why in games like yesterday where its clear to everyone we'd struggle in midfield why Klopp didn't take attention out and put Gomez RB just to try shore up that side ,

Little small things like that would massively help right now

I know we play OUR game but right now ifs probably right to protect ourselves at times

• Advertisement

Joe is finished.

Been made a fool of by Welbeck yesterday is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I side myself a few weeks back that I'd off load him this summer , but I'd still start him RB over Trent in certain games

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭boosabum

John Achterberg has a book out too but he doesn't seem to be getting the same hat pep is feeling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

It actually baffles me that even with the years of evidence of clubs that have been successful or have fallen off their perch we have decided to ignore all and managed to **** it up.

I’m too old for this ****.

If there has been some dick waving or power struggle bs that has impacted the future of club then it’s unforgivable imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Funny someone should mention Achterberg as he was the previous behind the scenes scapegoat when things weren't going well. Perhaps every club needs to have one but this Pep thing is bizarre based on not much more than hearsay and some weird objection to him bringing a book out. There have been many mistakes made at all levels of the club behind the scenes so the recurring scapegoating of Pep is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Barca really spanked Real tonight - made them look distinctly poor in fact.

Even in a 4-4-2 Trent and Robertson bomb forward, it's kinda funny.

I think if you line up that way you get your creativity from midfield full stop

________Allison____

Trent_Konate_VVD_Robertson

____Fab____Thiago__________

Salah____Firmino_____Diaz

_______Nunez________

Back 5 players defend, full stop, don't give an inch, front 4 gets us the points, but also drop in without the ball, but break fast, Nunez on the shoulder

Rumour Mill going strong on new Qatar owners

Not sure how real it is could be to shut everyone up for January then it'll dissappear once the window closes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah seen the rumours on twitter today and how nothing will be announced until next month. As you said probably just a smokescreen

• Advertisement
Advertisement