Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭wandererz

Nothing to do with neutrality.

Ireland hosts companies like Intel, HP, Qualcom and more. They all manufacture chipsets / CPU's. These are manufactured for multiple countries around the world.

Anyone can simply hop on a website or Amazon etc and order chips, ship them to a European country and then have them smuggled to Russia.

What happens to them afterwards is the question.

All of these companies have regulations in place to ensure that during the sales cycle "that they have control of" that they do not sell to certain sanctioned countries.

This story is behind a paywall. But nevertheless it's a non-story.

Considering what has been done so far by the Russians in terms of genocide, i would 100% favour the likes of Nestle ceasing All operations in Russia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You know what I think? That hack of the HSE was done by the Russian government and they have all the health records of the population of this country and are using the release of that info as blackmail to stop the Irish government lifting a finger they don't like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ukraine had a population of 37 million, over 7 million of whom have fled as refugees. There is a massive amount of bitching in Ireland over the intake of refugees, and you know it. If everyone was neutral, Ukraine could thoretically empty - if they were allowed to leave - so proprtionally, Ireland could have over 5 times as many refugees as it currently is complaining about.

That is not realistic or sustanable. It's not an outcome anyone should view positively, but it's what scaled up neutrality would deliver.

Being neutral is to take the side of the agressor - there is no positivity to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

For an immigrant you have a serious case of hatred for your adopted home. Perhaps you should find a more suitable location that meets your needs in a fuller manner.

We don't provide weapons and we have no history of purchasing large amounts of weapons. As I said in my past, there's plenty we can provide that are every bit as valuable. All the weapons in the world mean nothing if you're half starved and sopping wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭vixdname

The different fighting groups do have radio communication, with communication being a huge part of the over all war machine Ukraine have in action there, I think its pretty safe to say that most soldiers \ groups would have a pretty accurate idea of what state the other groups were in, theyre not all acting as single entites, just doing their own thing and hoping it all works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

I have an Irish passport. I'm working on leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

i see your country ended it’s special visa programme for Ukrainians last july. At least Australia is consistent when it comes to people fleeing. Not being from Asia I imagine the Ukrainians probably avoid the detention camps. So I suppose that’s something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

If the tanks aren't in a working condition until a major overhaul, they can't be sent to Ukraine any time soon. Takes a long time to fix them, and it's very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If Germany grants export licences for their tanks to go to Ukraine, I don't think anyone assumed Germany would be first to actually send them. Dither and delay is the order of the day with Scholz.

Imagine that, a war in Europe has been going on for close to a year and they never thought maybe just maybe we should make sure all our MBT's are ready to roll, just incase.

Russian tank storage seems to suffer from corruption, Germany's from incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Unfortunately seems to be in error. Various sources scrubbing the story with the British MOD stating the information was incorrect. Pity.

Maybe the fact it was reported is an indication someone raised the idea of it behind a closed meeting.

All Eyes On Rafah

In total Australia has given A$225 million in military aid and A$65 million in humanitarian aid

Ukraine at least appears to be appreciative, and they are the only ones that matter.

They even made a video in appreciation. Have they made a video thanking Switzerland?

That isn't the only video they made thanking Australia:

That was from just 40 Bushmasters sent, the total has currently climbed to 90.

Four Autralians have died fighting for ukraine - how many Swiss? To put that in context - 6 brave Poles have died. So relative to population, it's about the same.

Switzerland is in Europe, and one reads about how Switzerland upholds European values, and yet Australia, on the other side of the planet, has provided about the same amount of aid - and far more useful aid it has been - than Switzerland, in terms of percentage of GDP.

So nice try at shaming me, but it's failed. I would dearly like Australia to do more, such as send those M1A1 tanks that were requested by the Ukrinian amabassador to Australia a couple of days ago.

Neutral assistance is nice, but it's not as good as offensive military assistance; how's that truism go - 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.'

If all you send is bandages, you can expect a near infinite need for bandages - send weapons, and there is at least a good chance you won't need so many bandages. Hosting refugees is admirable, but send weapons, and there might not be as many refugees needing hosting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

As Wibbs said, Ireland are certainly not neutral in this war (so quotes on the dark side of neutrality do not fully apply to us here). Russia definitely has our card marked as a hostile state.

There's not very much military aid Ireland can give (guns, ammunition, anti-tank rpg-like weapons seem to be what is mentioned), but it is quite a rich country and that is mainly how we can help, apart from the sheltering of refugees.

However I would agree with you scaled up, the Irish policy would be an utter disaster for Ukraine (and people here would be castigating larger European countries over it - they already do it on thread as is anyway and say hysterical nonsense like they are "allied with Putin" etc because they are not giving enough or powerful enough weapons!). IMO the refusal to allow Irish euros (e.g. via the EU) to be dirtied up somehow by paying for some weapons for Ukraine is just a cop out/a moral failing.

However would judge that is position most of the Irish public are happy with (e.g. even see way you have been attacked quite a bit now for raising this point), and we are a democracy. The govt. really has (as far as I can see?) no strong mandate to change policy and start buying weapons for Ukraine or sending any of our own stock.

I read that a poll in Germany had 70% in favour of sending tanks. Scholz must have some interesting sources of motivation for continuing his stance in opposition to that of the German public.

Cute... in the Irish sense.

"WIZARD SPIDER pledged support to the Russian government and threatened critical infrastructure organizations of countries perceived to carry out cyberattacks or war against the Russian government.[39] They later revised this pledge and threatened to retaliate against perceived attacks against the Russian people."

In other words, Wizard Spider is likely a RU FSB/GRU run op. It is they who hacked the HSE and then dropped their demands after the RU embassy and RU government pretended outrage. So a demand for €18m just went away like that, with no quid pro quo?

Australia's Medicare was similarly hacked. Australia didn't play ball and the health records of Australians were released.

The RU governemnt intervened to ireland's benefit out of the goodness of their black rotten heart - Pull the other one.

I actually saw this interview posted on TikTok and never realised it was your good self.

Very informative interview, well done sir !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

At least 12 months for rheinmetall to deliver tanks to Ukraine ,and they only have 22 lepoard 2s .

But how many does the German army have,are they going to tell the 5 others countries they have to wait 12 + months to deliver their tanks to Ukraine

On a lighter note for a moment if I may...........but I'd bang both of them to be honest !.....I'll get my coat.....

Good luck with either of them reciprocating that sentiment; you'd only have a tiny one in sixty chance of getting AIDS from the wrong one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is a stupid argument about neutrality. It barely deserves the description.

For a start, outside of a few gobshítes Arsebook and the like including Russian supporters and though the government and vaious NGO's are trying to paint it differently to cover their own arses, the "bitching" is far more about non Ukrainian "refugees". What protests have occurred have specifically stated their issues are those being shipped into working class areas of Dublin et al are NOT Ukrainians. What "bitching" that has happened around Ukrainians specifically was the lack of caps on their numbers.

We were among the first not on their borders to welcome Ukrainian refugees and welcomed 70k in during the worst housing crisis in the history of the state, never mind a huge chunk of our population on medical waiting lists and unlike the UK and others without any need for visas or any of that and provide far more for them than anyone else. Germany gives them, after checks, per month what we do in a week. So g'way to feck with your moaning about what we have or haven't done. We've done quite a bit thanks very much.

As for your calls for Irish neutrality to be dropped? Try asking the Irish people and get back to me. Two thirds want no change, so that's currently a non runner.

As for your tinfoil hat stuff about the HSE hack? That happened before this Russian invasion when we were seen as a "friendly nation". If their spying ops from their embassy are so important to them, we'd be hardly high on the list of places to attack would we(on that score the embassy "outrage" may well have been true)? It was far more likely to be a simple moneygrab, rather than any official Russian attack. Now if it had happened this year it would have legs, but it didn't. Oh and Irish health records were released online.

You're all revved up like too many on this thread seeing reds under the bed everywhere. It reaches utterly ridiculous proportions at times.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

The end of Putin is near... just a matter of time before Russian power brokers decide on who to replace their maniacal president with.

Good man the Dan [Rice] is still the Ukraine armed forces' no1 adviser.

Once Putin is 'gone', providing that baldie guy who runs Wagner follows suit, I suspect the next Russian president will be certainly a nicer guy to deal with.

But the end of his reign is near anyhow because the elites are now not happy with him.

They used to like him, he used to make them all rich. Now Putin is becoming a problem, but they don't know how to get rid of him. But something is definitely cooking.

Dan.

Ukraine has the highest incidence of HIV in Europe. Higher than Russia. Though not by much. Flip a coin.

@Wibbs As for your calls for Irish neutrality to be dropped? Try asking the Irish people and get back to me. Two thirds want no change, so that's currently a non runner.

How many readers of the times were polled .

We are only neutral in government policy.

If the government chose to send weapons to Ukraine then they can .

So far putin has apparently survived cancer, parkinsons and lord knows what else. There's also long been talk of him getting ousted and he's still there. Oh I suspect his days are very much numbered, the number is the question. If he dropped dead tomorrrow from sudden window exposure, that's when things could get interesting. The various factions and their personal armies would likely leave Ukraine as the dead loss it is to cement their power in Moscow, so good for Ukraine. Warmongeing muppets fighting for the crown could get ugly really quickly. Hopefully internally.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

Oh dear,it does seem like the orcs have managed it!

Poll after poll down the years has shown majority support for our military neutrality. The Treaty of Nice was rejected the first time by the Irish electorate and a large part of that was the threat to our military neutrality and the treaty was changed to reflect that Irish opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Which begs the question re tanks needing repairs. How the hell can that be ? Surely the German's keeps their equipment up to date??? Serviced and ready for action? I once saw a donation of German ex-military 4 x 4 all wheel drive trucks. They were maybe 15 years old, and taken from storage, and with very small mileage. They worked like dream. I can't see them letting equipment like tanks deteriote to the stage that they need major overhauls.

• Advertisement

Not what I asked.

Nice treaty barely a quarter of the population actually voted in yhe the first one ,so if it was so important how come so many didn't bother their holes to vote.

Times have changed and it's time for a rethink,

We didn't need a referendum to send troops off to the Eu battlegroups

Post edited by Gatling on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement