Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Im genuinely interested in why someone would think it isnt intimidation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

of course it's bloody intimidation, you're not talking to reasonable people here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Looking at the sign in that picture, it’s not clear what their problem is, looks like ‘Ballymun says no concerned parents’…

🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

there were no concerned parents until some fordiners moved in

Im trying to have a reasonable civil discussion to tease it out. A lot of the problem in all these discussions are people talk at each other but dont listen to each other.

I'm genuinely interested to find out what the thought process is for thinking its not intimidation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

People have hypocritical standards. Women are being intimidated on a daily basis for questioning whether women can have a penis and men can have a vagina. Death threats, doxxing and violence is all fine if it’s for the “right” reasons.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

There's been plenty of foreigners moved in and there were no protests?

Thats whataboutery that is nothing to do with anything in this discussion.

Lots of skirting around and whataboutery.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Those who don't understand where the protesters are coming from. Look at it this way.

How much money have you given to refugees?

Why don't you house refugees in your house?

"I don't have any money to donate."

"I don't have any room to take in a refugee"

"I've taken in a refugee, I don't have the space for any more"

"I rent and can't take in any refugees"

What you are saying is you do not have the resources to support the refugees. The country as a whole does not have the resources to support this level of refugees and more.

We don't have the houses for the people who already live here nevermind taking in more.

We don't have the health service capacity to support the people already here nevermind taking in more.

The only people who can possibly support the level of refugees we have now are homeowners and those with private healthcare/healthy.

• Advertisement

See that’s how people know that protesters like yourself don’t represent them. People from areas like Ballymun can take a joke 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

Let me just check if I'm getting through here.

Do you accept that, however you feel about the chanting in front of this centre in Ballymun, there wasn't anyone there you could take it up with. There was no one controlling the protest, no one there with a strategy you can be annoyed with.

No shadowy Right Wing actors leading the protestors.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

xxxxxxl threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gaelscoileanna were the perfect invention for the lefty middle class. They could all keep up the facade that gaelscoileanna were about supporting a language that they hadn't a word of, but understanding that the working and migrant classes do not send their children there.

All the benefits of private education but without the costs.

Of course it's intimidation and it's also effective at getting in the news.

The protesters could stand outside the dail with every other ten-a-penny group and not make a ripple.

Being obnoxious gets you attention, sadly.

Well that'a a load of nonsense, and demonstrably so -

With that in mind, it seems bizarre that you only need to go a few comments deep on any news article about Irish to read of "elitist" Gaeilgeoirí, dripping in privilege, and Gaelscoileanna where "yummy mummies" drop off their darlings as a marker of "social status". Ross O'Carroll Kelly's charicatured D4 locals were 'Sorcha’ and 'Fionnuala’ for a reason.

But there doesn’t seem to be a reason for this preconceived notion that the language belongs to the middle class. Of course, there are Gaelscoileanna in middle class areas, but more than half of Gaelscoileanna in Dublin and Belfast are in working class areas and, as is true of any school, reflect their local communities.

Another hot take that has surfaced is the idea that ever-increasing demand for Irish-language education stems from racism, insinuating that Gaelscoileanna exclude children whose parents come from abroad or from various ethnic groups in our society. At first glance, some school policies require that parents have fluent English or Irish, a potential barrier for some, but thankfully the story doesn't end there.

Gaeloideachas offer information in French, Romanian, and Polish among other languages, encouraging parents to enroll their children. Some Gaelscoileanna even implement buddy-schemes, offer language classes to support parents and provide SNA support for children whose mother tongue is neither English nor Irish.

Debunking the hot takes around Gaelscoileanna

The ESRI says half of immigrant primary pupils are in schools with large numbers of children from overseas – where they make up more than 20pc of the student population.

In comparison, 40pc of the country’s 3,300 primary schools have no immigrants at all.

Immigrants are more likely to attend designated disadvantaged schools. The differences between disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged schools can be quite stark — they imply an increasing ghettoisation of those schools designated as disadvantaged.

Immigrants are under-represented in Gaelscoileanna, mainly because of the reluctance of non-English speaking families to learn an additional new language. Higher proportions are found in urban and larger schools and in designated disadvantaged schools.

The ESRI says that enrolment criteria in Irish schools tend to favour settled communities, particularly where parents are required to sign up well in advance and preference is given to the siblings of those already in the school.

Much migration is relatively recent and many immigrants are very mobile. As a result, children will end up in schools that are under-subscribed. Irish parents with ‘insider’ knowledge of the educational system are more likely to successfully negotiate access to their preferred school. In contrast, immigrant parents can be ‘outsiders’ in terms of knowing how the system operates.

ESRI warns schools over ghetto risk to immigrants

(Bold emphasis my own)

40%, 1,320 primary schools, in 2023 have zero immigrants?

I simply don’t believe that.

You say it there yourself - immigrants are under represented in gaelscoileanna. There doesn't need to be a policy of exclusion because they self-exclude. Such self exclusion can be reinforced by enrollment policies e.g. where a child needs to have a basic grasp of the language already and it would be detrimental to their learning if they weren't enrolled.

Like voter ID laws in the US - on the face they can look harmless, but in reality act as a barrier for certain groups.

The situation in Belfast is obviously different because of well known cultural and sectarian issues experienced in the city. I thought you'd know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Would you not agree that people chanting "Get them out" outside a refugee centre is something you would normally expect the National Front, the BNP or the English Defence League in the UK to be doing? I cannot see any scenario where this would be viewed as acceptable or the actions of mere "concerned local citizens". It's clearly heading into extremist territory.

• Advertisement

It's obviously heading into extremist territory - the real question is how have we got here. How has the ground gotten so fertile for extremists to be able to cultivate hate.

If we han understand the how and the why, perhaps we can figure out what needs to be done.

Well no, that particular article was written in 2010 -

https://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/8563/1/Immigration%20and%20school%20composition%20in%20Ireland.pdf

But it wouldn’t be entirely unreasonable either to expect that 40% of primary schools in 2023 have zero immigrants given that in 2016, immigrant children still only made up about 10% of the student population -

There were 96,497 non-Irish national students and pupils aged 5 years and over resident in Ireland in 2016 accounting for 18 per cent of all non-Irish nationals. The largest group were Poles (22,450 persons) followed by UK nationals (11,704), Lithuanian (7,133) and Brazilian (4,632).

European continentals accounted for two in three non-Irish national students aged 5 years and over in 2016. Asian (14.3%) and American (10.1%) students were next while students with African nationality (6.5%) had the lowest share.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7se/

Wait a minute, I’m not saying myself that immigrants are underrepresented in Gaelscoileanna, that’s what the data suggests. I wouldn’t expect anyone to take my word for anything, it’s why I try and source data that’s at least somewhat objective.

Your claim of Gaelscoileanna being the perfect invention for the leftie middle class and that working and immigrant classes do not send their children there is what I was referring to as nonsense, and I demonstrated why it’s nonsense, using actual evidence, not just ideas I’d pulled out of my arse for which there is no supporting evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

The government has delivered this to our door by undemocratically ignoring the big issues like housing and health for so long. Instead they are shamelessly obsessed with pleasing the EU and the financial markets. It will take SF a long long time to reach these same levels of patronising contempt for the voters.

I cannot see any scenario where this would be the actions of mere "concerned local citizens"

Really? Large disorganised crowd chants "get them out" because... it wants them out.

What's so hard to imagine about that scenario? No need to bring National Front, Defence Leagues or any one else in to things.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,828 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Why target the refugees / asylum seekers? It makes it look suspiciously like the protesters are not actually that bothered about things like housing shortages or pressure on services and that they simply don't like the refugees and don't want them in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah if I was living in one of those centres those concerns would be at the forefront of my mind. If I had just arrived in the country I mightn't necessarily be aware that Ireland has little tradition of that kind of racist mob violence.

How can you be certain of that? Likely some of them just putting on a brave face...

I'm sorry, what?

The data you presented shows that immigrants are under represented in gaelscoileanna - largely due to self exclusion. The corollary to that is that migrants do not tend to send their children to these schools.

Knowing this, and knowing that most parents of children in gaelscoileanna haven't a word of Irish and no desire to learn it - you have to ask why they are so popular, particularly among middle class parents. Ultimately it comes down to wanting their children to go to schools where the other parents are similar to themselves.

That's why they are perfect, they give a plausible veneer of being about the language but really they're not.

But that’s a conclusion you’ve fabricated entirely out of nothing.

Yes it’s true that immigrants don’t tend to send their children to Gaelscoileanna, but that doesn’t mean Gaelscoileanna are a perfect invention for middle class lefties when we also know that Gaelscoileanna have been established in working class and migrant areas, and we know that immigrants don’t have the same insight into the Irish education system as their Irish counterparts, and we know that immigrants children are generally enrolled in DEIS schools, predominantly in working class areas.

Middle class lefties, absolutely do not enrol their children in schools in working class areas, Gaelscoileanna or otherwise! There’s simply no need for any plausible veneer about language, that’s just something you’ve invented, I suspect to take a pot-shot at middle class lefties, who generally enroll their children in Educate Together schools (which is why ET schools are massively oversubscribed), and there’s plenty ET schools in working class areas too, where there are immigrant children in attendance.

Now, here’s where you’ll want to hold onto your pearls. Middle and working class Catholic school Boards of Management tend to have notions about themselves, they’re a real fun bunch to deal with. Every year it tends to be the same thing when they’re scrolling down the list of admissions applications and they’re unable to pronounce foreign names, they tend to pronounce them like “Fcuk!”, “Bollocks!”, “Another one, Jesus!”, you get the idea 😁

Every year it used be the same deal, having to argue with them that every child in Ireland has a right to an education, and they could not discriminate between students based on nationality, ethnicity or their own general prejudices. The thing was see, the majority of applicants were Catholics themselves, or were members of a Church in communion with the Catholic Church, so they were much closer in principle to the teachings of the Catholic faith and Catholic education than say a lot of their Irish counterparts.

How did I know this? Well from talking to them and meeting them at mass, Scouts, sports and other social events. Had to laugh one time when the priest saw me at an event and he commented “Jesus you’re everywhere!”, and being the arsehole I am, I responded “Really Father? 🤨”, inviting him to question all he’d been teaching all this time. He didn’t appreciate my sense of humour 😬

Now, before you go accusing me of being a middle class leftie, I’m certainly not. I’d be considerably more conservative right-leaning politically, socially and economically, which is why I promote the value of education and ensure that every child has access to the same opportunities as my own child has. There is no evidence to support the belief that children whose first language is not English have any negative impact upon the educational attainment of other children in the classroom. A far more influential factor on any child’s academic achievement is the support of their parents, or indeed lack thereof, which is why it’s important that all children are supported in education, and not just the focus solely being placed on children who don’t need as much support in the classroom.

Contrary to your belief, Gaelscoileanna AREN’T popular, they’re gaining in popularity, but that isn’t difficult given they only represent about 5% of schools in Ireland, and predominantly in working class areas as opposed to your ideas of their preference among middle class parents. Factors which influence parent’s decisions to enrol their children in Gaelscoileanna primarily relate to their own desire for their children to learn the Irish language, as they fear it may become a forgotten language given their own lack of proficiency from their own time in education. It’s certainly not motivated by any notions of keeping their children away from the influence of immigrant children. That’s entirely your own notions, fabricated out of nothing and not even remotely based upon reality. You’d know this though the more you actually talked to parents who send their children to Gaelscoileanna, many of which are multidenominational in their ethos which is another factor which makes them more attractive than the traditional Catholic school education.

Your idea that their popularity is based upon giving parents a plausible veneer for their elitist notions is frankly just absurd. You’re far more likely to find that sort of attitude towards immigrants and working class families in middle class publicly funded Catholic schools which imagine they are a law unto themselves because of their admissions policies which make entry for anyone they don’t want in their schools an arduous process, as though indeed like you suggested earlier- they have notions of themselves as private fee-paying schools. Reminding some people on Boards of Management of their legal responsibilities and liabilities doesn’t be long knocking some sense into them, even if they choose maintain their veneer of respectability - everyone knows it’s bullshìt and nobody cares so long as their children are receiving equal opportunities for an education which meets their educational needs 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

One issues related to education I think you do have a lot of insight.

But I believe many Gael Scoileanna are highly oversubscribed also, is that not correct?

Immigrants as they are new to the parish are always going to be close to bottom of the list.

I do feel that Gaelscoileanna may becomea a handy way for selecting out large numbers of Immigrants/low educational background kids from attending the same school as your own kid for a lot of parents.

Post edited by maninasia on

Advertisement