Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They are, massively oversubscribed, because there's so few of them that there simply isn't enough to meet parental demand. There is competition for places in all types of schools particularly in the Dublin area where oversubscription is a perennial problem due to our increasing population, and the demand for the establishment of new schools.

I don't get the impression at all that Gaelscoileanna are, or will be used as a handy way for selecting out large numbers of immigrants or children from families with low educational backgrounds simply because the opportunities for that sort of behaviour already exist in schools, the vast majority of which are under the patronage of the Catholic Church (represented as a patron body by the Bishops of Ireland), leaving other patrons such as An Foras Patrunachta and Educate Together to fight over the scraps, or rather Patronage of the establishment of any new schools -

The move to revise the policy follows a formal investigation by the office of An Coimisinéir Teanga Rónán Ó Domhnaill into a decision not to award patronage to an Irish-medium inter-denominational school in north Dublin in 2016.

The bid for a school in the Drumcondra/Marino and Dublin 1 area was turned down despite the fact that the parents of 361 students had demonstrated their preference that Irish-medium education be available to them. Educate Together was awarded patronage on the basis that it had 622 expressions of interest.

Mr Ó Domhnaill concluded that the language provisions of the Education Act relating to the language and cultural needs of students, along with parental choice, had not been fulfilled by the department in the process to appoint a patron.

New criteria to remove obstacle to Irish-medium schools

Many Gaelscoileanna at second-level consistently rank towards the top-end of feeder schools in the country which send the highest proportion of their students on to third-level.

Some sceptics say their rise in popularity has more to do with middle-class families seeking to secure social advantage through exclusionist policies, such as Irish-language tests.

Despite more Irish language schools in working-class areas and more parents from non-Irish backgrounds vying to send their children, do accusations of elitism hold water?

Bláthnaid Ní Ghréacháin, CEO of Gaelscoileanna Teo – a national voluntary organisation supporting the development of Irish schools at primary and post-primary – says the problem is simply an issue of demand outstripping supply.

“We’re back to the age-old problem where parental demand isn’t being taken into account sufficiently.

“Parents seeking Irish-medium education will always be in the minority in a community, so voices will not be as loud as Educate Together, for example,” says Ní Ghréacháin.

“The oversubscription leads to disappointment on behalf of parents and creates pressure in the system. Invariably, when people are disappointed and their child does not get a place, this leads to accusations of elitism.”

Ní Ghréacháin says while parents’ interest is piqued by the schools appearance in league tables, parents are motivated by genuine interest for their children to be educated through our native language.

Why is it so hard to get a place in a Gaelscoil?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,784 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What the government is doing in housing these economic migrants in 'less flash' areas is a masterclass in how to destroy Sinn Féin. Non government support that has been going towards Sinn Féin will move to small splinter parties not capable of ever forming a government and keeping the current government in power. It's probably the only thing current the government are doing that is actually working. If Sinn Féin don't make a move to at least say anyone claiming asylum in the country who has fooked their documentation in to the sewage tank of the plane they arrived on should be thrown out on their hole they are finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

As a parent of schoolkids I ask why is it so hard to get a school place for my kids anywhere, yes.

And then I look around and ask why is it so hard to see a doctor, to find a guard when you need one, to find somewhere to live. FFS what a mess.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Ireland has had a flood of non Ukrainian refugees lately.

The government would want to tighten up its borders etc

For instance a lot of refugees arriving from Georgia. All the way from Georgia. Where there is no known conflict but a corrupt government.

I always thought modern refugee policy to be bullshit in that we have to take seriously anybody who skips 20 plus countries and arrives in Ireland has to be processed.

But I'm not sure what the alternative policy should be.

If we don't support Ukrainians then we are not supporting an attack on a democratic European state. Yes it's far from a perfect democracy but it is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I don’t think the government parties are capable of such strategic thinking.

In any case, in the three seater constituency in which Ballymun is in. Sinn Féin’s TD, alleged mass murderer Dessie Ellis, won 44% of the vote. Almost two quotas. The right wing parties would need to see an exponential increase on the 1.5% they achieved at the last election.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

As I said previously I expect Sinn Fein will change there tune nearer to the election and win in a landslide.

You are trying to have a reasonable civil discussion about something you want to talk about.

You have no interest in a reasonable discussion when anyone asks you something you don't want to talk about.

I'm genuinely interested on why you think this policy is a benefit to Ireland.

Yea and its why it seems to be a lot of support for mass immigration is from free spirited college students.

They will quickly change there tune when they are looking to move out of mammys house and when they have to try find a school for kids.

When they are actually affected by what is going on.

Just when you think you've seen the most out of touch TD. He's predicting that we're going to have as many coming this year as last but instead of ringing alarm bells that we're already on a knife edge accommodating people, hes focusing on good vibes overcoming the protests.

Do you reckon any other Member State will be proposing a path to citizenship? I mean anyone with a brain could forsee that no one would be sent back if they played the media after the Directive is over but to announce it when the Directive is ongoing for another year and there is no more space to put people is a special kind of stupid. We already have ridiculously high benefits for Ukranians compared to the rest of Europe and now the Greens are proposing citizenship too

Where on earth does he think long term accommodation is going to come from for this amount of new people that he is hoping to evenutally naturalise. As usual they're giving the far right people more fuel

How do the Greens have so many prominent positions in government?

Is this minister not worried about the Carbon footprint of all these refugees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Is the absolute scutter from the likes of Joe and his buddies in the media that will lead to the "rise of the right"

Sometimes it feels like they actively want it

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He doesn't care.

Heard on the radio this morning that housing completion needs to be 40k this year and 75k there after. We are looking at a 50% shortfall in housing each year on existing demand which has not been met.

If it breaks 30k this year and 40k next year it will a big achievement for any Govt.

Joe will end up in some cushy job,like environmental officer for a building developer or a state funded quango. Tom Parlon part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I agree the government are not that strategic but the conclusion isnt wrong.

Its not about removing existing SF TDs but harming SF gains. That constituency could possibly elect 2 SF TDs but not if the smaller extremist parties shave a few percentage points off them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He’s a Green Party TD. He has at best, a loose connection with reality. The party of vibes and feelings and doing the right thing but with zero ability to translate any of that into effective policymaking.

What i find fascinating about the green party and green party supporters.

They are pushing for Ireland to be a leader in reducing carbon footprint.

They are pushing for immigration to increase the population.

An increased population increases irelands carbon footprint.

The two main policies I see them pushing totally contradict each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Very accurate post. I heard from a journalist who attended some of these protests in Sinn Fein heartlands that they are getting the majority of the abuse from the protesters. Regular chants of 'Sinn Fein Traitors '. Anecdotal I know but Sinn Fein will not like that trend. Interesting to see how they respond.

Imagine if SF decided to call for tougher controls over immigration and Asylum, it could end up being a vote winner for them in the current climate.

A volte face open door immigration policy from the only opposition party leader in Europe with a foreign flag as their social media avatar is unlikely.

What may encourage Sinn Fein to wake up and smell the coffee is if their immigration policy permanently scuppers the chances of a united Ireland, their raison d’etre.

Thousands of new citizens with no ethnic or religious affiliation to nationalists in Northern Ireland may be very disinclined to vote for a United Ireland that could lead to increased taxation and competition for resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

People who never dreamed of voting for them in their lifetime would strongly consider it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭DeadHand

If SF were to call for tougher measures on immigration and international protection, it would not merely be a vote winner, they would win the next election in a landslide victory.

This would require them to change their tune on the subject, however.

Ditto FG/FF. Though, of course, they are likely too wedded to neo liberalism, supranational careerism and, hence, plantation politics at this point to change course that quickly.

Some limited reversals will occur among the mainstream parties as native anger mounts, as has been the experience in other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The lived experience is though that migrants do not send their children to gaelscoileanna and if you wanted your child to be educated in a setting that did not have migrant children then a gaelscoil is the perfect choice. There are also other ways, ones that are chosen if you don't succeed in getting into the gaelscoil.

A very mixed diverse town I know has 4 primarys serving it: three in the town (including a gaelscoil) and one on the edge. The middle class parents in the town choose to use the gaelscoil (first choice) or the school that almost everyone has to drive to. Failing to get entry to these results in further driving to rural schools rather than the walking distance schools in the town.

I do know a couple of parents that sent their children to gaelscoil, and their primary motivation was not the language but who their children would be mixing with. In moments of candour these few have told me so - as I wanted opinions on to where to send my own children. They want their children to go to school with children of parents like themselves.

Is the motivation true for all: of course not. Some do genuinely love the language, but the actual motivation of parents that have zero Irish and zero intention to learn any? One can't but conclude there are also other factors, such as who else is in the classroom, at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

What's the point though? Why do people even care about what SF pretend to support? Because that's all it would be, a pretense. It would get them the votes to get into power, give false hope to those who voted for them, then do nothing about it. The likes of FF & FG would sit back laughing, knowing that nothing will be done, and that SF will be out in the next election, only for them to step back into power again. A merry go round of complete pointlessness.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't really buy into this theory of yours where people send their kids to Gaelscoils so the kids don't have to deal with riff raff or foreigners. I was sent to a primary gaelscoil because it was around the corner from our house and because my dad had an interest in Irish, there were no foreign kids back then in anyone's class to avoid regardless of the school. Most of the kids were from nearby, a normal working class area, although some did come from further afield places like Malahide and were definitely a bit posher, but this was down to the fact that there weren't any Gaelscoils up that way.

I know it's very hard to get a place in that school nowadays for kids but that's just down to it being a good school.

One has to realise that all the far right parties combined got about 12,000 votes nationally at the last general election. By the time the next election comes around there will be many more than 12,000 new immigrant citizen voters. They will be unlikely to vote for far right parties so the likelihood of support for the far right dictating the outcome of the next election is highly unlikely.

The Monster Raving Loony Party has achieved more votes and a higher percentage of the vote than any far right party in Ireland. It has also succeeded in getting candidates elected. Something no far right party has been able to do.

If the left and far left lose votes to far right parties at the next election that is a reflection of their failure to represent the concerns of their constituents.

It is interesting that the leaders of the left and far left in Ireland are frequently middle class, privately educated, wealthy individuals whose priorities differ greatly from those who they claim to represent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What makes a school a good school?

One might say results, but they are more strongly influenced by parents and home life than the school itself.

So what are you really choosing then? Isn't it really your children's peers?

Of course it isn't true of everyone and would have been less true years ago. Prior to the early noughties, Ireland was effectively a homogeneous society.

There absolutely has been white flight to these kind of schools along with others that have a level of difficulty in accessing.

I've banged on long enough about this tangential issue to the topic at hand. I'll leave it there but might open a thread on it.

Are there any Ukrainian children in Gaelscoileana?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

quick google tells me yes, plenty of them seem to have taken them in, fair play to them. the middle class parents must be furious.

• Advertisement

Advertisement