Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

Isn't this the same thing the Bank of England did recently with Gilts to avoid the pension market from collapsing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

A lot of positive and negative financial stuff happens in the world every day, and the figures can seem immense or daunting. There's are some individuals who focus only on the negative news and big numbers out of context to make it seem like some big crisis is coming. There's been a lot of that shite going on in this thread.

Back to reality, a recession was predicted this year for some key economies, but it appears those economies are bucking the trend. There could still be issues but currently it's better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

eh we are midway through January hardly a win for the "no recession going to happen" crew for 2023 give it time.

It's probable that certain countries will go into recession. The title of the thread is "global recession", which, at the moment, doesn't look like it's happening.

It's nothing to do with "wins" and teams. It's simple analysis and reality (as opposed to doomsday hysteria which has followed every one of these threads since 2008)

There has been a slight uplift in mood due to the spend over the xmas, what is not being highlighted is that even do more money was spent in the economies during this period that there was actually less bought but it cost more to buy less. That will not continue. Lets see what a full Q1 and Q2 of 2023 looks like. As it is plain to see wages globally have come no where near the levels of inflation seen over the last 18 months and if it was all good in the hood we wouldn't be looking at another 1% interest rate rise between now and the end of March. Not saying your wrong but most indicators are still pointing toward the big 3 going into a recession - China, US and the EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭brickster69

Sort of similar but at very different speeds. The UK crisis was a fast moving chain reaction caused by political madness which created a bond sell off which threatened 90% of the entire pension funds the next day due to the derivatives held in the pension funds.

Because the BOE was not consulted on a radical budget they had to step in for a couple of weeks to calm things down which seems to of been achieved .... for now.

It does show how even investments like a pension fund which you would consider very low risk are not all that they appear to be if one thing sets everything off.

With Japan it looks like they have been doing the same thing for a fair good while, seen that it has not really worked and need to come up with a plan to reduce it's debt.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its our local economies that are going to get battered, the cost of living crisis is only beginning. Food continues to explode in price and energy will remain high while providers reduce contract discounts. The pent up demand from the pandemic is gone and savings have dwindled, I see a huge drop in consumer confidence and spending this year.

Will we hit an actual recession? I'm not sure about Ireland as our GDP is still largely reliant on MNCs who still have strong revenue and employment despite recent cuts.

Yeah but those MNCs within the tech sector are struggling big time - put it this way we wont see anywhere near 20billion coming in from corpo taxes this year which will have its own knock on effects to the countries finances.. People are stalling with regards to investments as well and that's globally not just Ireland. The root of the current situation is inflation has gone sky high and wages have not followed anywhere near that level. So the question is can the majority of companies afford to pay more and more payrises to their workers while paying higher costs for energy, food, transport and other services that a company may depend on or will by trying to pay for it all including a pay rise for the worker will the company hit the wall if the general population spending habits start to become more cautious with what they spend.

Are they really struggling though? META has their problems but others have just over hired on the back of the pandemic.

As I said the situation in on the ground is the worry I feel, hospitality could be in big trouble, retail the same. I'm talking to people in these areas and the performance hasn't been what they expected over christmas which is alarming as it was the first normal restriction free christmas in 3 years.

People waiting for a financial crisis or meltdown will be sorely disappointed, there just isn't the level of toxic debt out there like 2008. I can't see someone big like META falling either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

Its all here globally for what's been going on since late 2021. Already in 2023 alone nearly 25k workers lost there jobs within the tech companies globally You only have to look at the share prices of the companies that own the really big brands like facebook, twitter, microsoft. etc. If these guys are shedding jobs and losing share prices you can be sure their predicted profitability for 2023 is in doubt. Then add in what your talking about a lot of indigenous companies will hit the wall the price of energy alone will kick a lot of them too much and they will have to submit after a lot of them being in a zombie state since the covid payments.. I dont see a meltdown like last time it will be a case that peoples wage simply cannot afford the new prices that are awash through all levels of society from the 5 euro coffee to the million Euro house that no one seems to bat an eyelid at these days. Its going to take a decade for wages to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Buy a solid fuel stanley superstar range on donedeal it'll heat the whole house, all you'll need is some turbary rights or a relation that can legally sell you some turf - way cheaper and you can live the high life then, by a merc on PCP and put in new lino in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There just isnt the same level of toxic debt??

You're looking in the wrong place. Bonds are rotten to the core, hollowed out. Below water. What are central banks balance sheets stuffed with? Sovereign bonds.

Its a debt crisis on a scale that you clearly cannot fathom.

Your figures on oil are totally inaccurate. Oil was approx 900+ per 1000l in January 2022. Rising to 1700 by the end of March. It was 670 per 1000 in Sept 2021 which is when you should have been buying it. It was 470 per 1000 in March 2020 when you also should have bought it. Source: my memory but you can look it up on cheapestoil if it will add to your education here today.

Observe the squirrel. Though he does not chase bottoms (ooh matron), he does harvest at the right time of year, not just when he's hungry.

Abre los ojos amigo.

It is what is hidden from view that could pose the greatest risk. Unreal to think that all of these things are just floating around somewhere and nobody knows who is sitting on them.

We saw it with the Scandanavian energy company who had a Lehman's moment which could of led to Europe's energy market collapsing. UK pension crisis where 90% would of been wiped out in 24 hours. Just little things like energy spikes and a budget announcement set them off.

No wonder Warren Buffett describes them as " weapons of mass destruction "

An explainer about the potential risks from the BIS report.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Irelands month on month inflation down .2 in December. There was no way prices could remain heading towards the sky. I reckon the next 6 months will see CPI dropping price points in the country have not been affordable since inflation rocketed.

- Camille Paglia

Can you explain this debt crisis? (in your own words preferably)

Part of my work may or may not involve the ratings of these assets and I'm not seeing what you are referring to.

Why, according to you, is sovereign paper "toxic"?

• Advertisement

That's not the same as a ticking time bomb that 2008 was. You had the entire banking system invested in junk loans been packaged as AAA securities by investment banks. Jobs, deposits, pensions, assets wiped out overnight.

I think so many are missing what this recession will mean, it'll be likely a fall back to pre covid levels. Is that really a recession, its more of a correction IMO.

It is going to fall far slower than it went up though, 2023 is going to be tight for alot of people, costs were far lower last January.

That was for December 2022 imagine prices dropping in December for xmas. Q1 and Q2 in 2023 will see this continue.

I know and I'm delighted to see it falling any bit but my point is it will be slow and we'll spend more of 2023 closer to the peak than we did in 2022. Commodity futures have fallen from peaks but it will be a while before those declines reach our pockets.

Yeah well its the same with anything price flies up and sticky on the way down. Having said that I think there will be some acceleration if companies remain selling at the currently overly high and unaffordable price point their business will soon come under pressure due to lack of sales. So I think we may see it come down quicker then expected. Germanys CPI MoM has come down 0.8% in December as well. I can see Q1 2023 being horrible for a lot of businesses unless they start feeding savings they are making onto the end customer.

The point was made that although xmas 2022 was better then xmas 2021 with regards to sales. The reason for it was the overly high prices and the fact that there was 4% less bought in the Irish ecconomy over the xmas period seems to have passed by without much of a mention.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Ita certainly not the same, no. Central Banks are technically insolvent and you're worried about commercial banks....

2008 was simply a property wheeze gone wrong, that infected other parts of the system. The bond market is THE market, all else is just a sideshow.

Ita certainly not the same, no. Central Banks are technically insolvent and you're worried about commercial banks....

2008 was simply a property wheeze gone wrong, that infected other parts of the system. The bond market is THE market, all else is just a sideshow.

• Advertisement

Yes, 2/3 of dollars reside abroad and it so due to the artificial creation of the petrodollar. The rise of the petroyuan is already happening.

The weaponisation of foreign currency reserves by USA could not have been a dumber move, playing right into the hands of Putin as a rallying cry to BRICS and to those 47-50 countries who abstained on the Ukraine UN vote, being in the sphere of influence of Russia and China.

Months earlier, Putin had visited both Saudi and Nigeria. Then the West visited (Boris) and pleaded (Biden) with the Saudis to supply crude. And so they do. Some. They formerly burnt crude to generate electricity. Now they export that crude and have replaced it with refined product from Russia to produce their electricity.

Advertisement