Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Looking forward to checking this out this evening. TLoU was one of my favourite games. But please please PLEASE, players, remember, people are coming into this TOTALLY blind. I looked at a couple of spoilers above (As I have played the game) and it is SO easy to assume that something well known in the game is NOT a spoiler.

..... Like that bit where 😀the muppet aliens come in in part two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think you play a dangerous game coming into a thread the morning after a highly anticipated new show has premiered.

I don't think referencing a song that featured counts as Spoiler territory; Slydice always spoiler-tags plot related details/speculations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Do you need to have any game knowledge about this or can you just hop in clueless and be brought up to speed on the TV series alone?

Trailers seem fantastic so really caught my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

It premiered for US audiences and for people who have no work on a Monday morning. For everyone else it premiers tonight.

I'm sure most people would rather find out themselves what what song plays at the end of an episode. Ffs who needs to told what Depeche Mode sound like 🤦‍♂️

You do not need to have played the game. It's basically a TV remake of the game. But probably worth staying away from gaming websites for a while :)

• Advertisement

Just with regards to trailers/spoilers. Just a friendly warning/suggestion:

There is a trailer on YouTube from HBO and AD_edits called "The weeks ahead trailer" If you want to go in unknowing, DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER!!!!!. So I'm assuming that other twats will use these in their own clips. At this stage, I'd say it's fair to say do not look at ANY trailers going forward

Seriously. Some d*ck moves out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

I did today knew nothing about the games at all and I enjoyed it tbh good quick build of the story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Thought this was fantastic, great adaptation so far, and the kind of quality you expect from HBO. Few minor details changed around in a couple of instances, but it still completely works and additional scenes help to flesh out the story - and makes it feel even more worth watching for people coming from the game, as it's not a completely beat-for-beat remake of the game(though a few key scenes are).

Yeah I watched that as I know the full story through the game, but was surprised at how they seem to be showing bits from the whole season, even a moment from near the very end of the game if I'm not mistaken. Usually those previews only show bits from the next episode, so surprising to see that one. Definitely one to avoid for anyone coming in blind.

Yeah, so people coming in fresh: Do NOT watch ANY trailers because, if they are anything like the ones so far, they are massively spoilery

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone no what time this is on Sky Atlantic later ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just to clear up, any mention of of bits from the game or what you know or think to be coming in next episodes should be spoilered or just not posted?

Also, discussing this weeks episode, does that need a spoiler tag? I imagine it doesn't as you should avoid the thread until you've seen the episode bit game/future stuff should definitely be spiker tagged? Can a mod confirm please?

I won't get to watch this until tonight but i can't **** wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are Sky Atlantic showing it as one episode a week?

Think the ads said they are starting Jan 19 so I assume last night's will be on then and weekly thereafter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I really enjoyed the first episode. It's a great show. Perfectly cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sky Atlantic have it down for 9pm tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's also On Demand so no need to wait till 9 if you don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sky Atlantic also show it at 2am so if you have Sky Go, it's available shortly after it airs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

F#ck me! That was a brilliant first episode. I will be looking forward to it every week I can tell.

They definitely didn't skimp on the production anyway. Not played the games so happy to just let things play out.

I literally found myself holding my breath when they were in the pickup and then running through the town. The scene with his daughter dying was heartbreaking and really well done.

Not usually a fan of time jump(s) but these were well done and nicely delineated.

Cast is terrific, good chemistry, Pascal perfect, I didn't recognise Anna Torv at first love her in everything (recommend the newsreader). Bella Ramsey is wonderful (only know her from Game of thrones and Catherine Called Birdy, excellent) good accent too. Surprised to see John Hannah pop up in a small role (I would think..)

Not sure I buy Pedro Pascal aging 20 years but a very minor complaint and worth it as he is a terrific actor.

I kinda want to see what happened in the 20 year jump, but I am guessing we might get some of that as we go.

I am guessing an 80s song to finish isn't a good thing given the code....trouble ahead.

I skipped the bit at the end previewing the rest of the series.

Me when Tess appeared: "Hey, Carrie Coon is in this thing."

Me several hours later after reading a review of the ep: "Huh. They look really alike."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

Absolutely brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

lmao @ at Big Head at the beginning. He needs to more roles, funny guy. Its been so long I forgot John Hannah existed. Interesting to hear the quack say there would no chance of a cure.

The environments were so accurate it make me feel I was in the game all over again. The rooms all very familiar to the ones you loot for pipe bomb material and the like. Its probably the most faithful recreation of a game I've seen from an visual perspective. So as an opener it hit the mark. No complaints and looking forward to seeing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Great opening episode. It’s been ages since I played the game, but almost felt like beat for beat when I played TLOU about 9 years back.

I’ll be curious to go back now and see what the differences between both openings were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Loved it

also loved the mention of Riley .. wonder if that will come up in a flashback

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Well that was just brilliant. Listen up other videogame adaptions, sticking closely to the game can actually work!

Had me completely absorbed to the point I wish I hadn't played the game. Awesome seeing the parts that were shot for shot and then seeing the new things but fresh eyes on this story would be a great experience too.

1st episode of the companion podcast below, excellent listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I know nothing about the game, but commented that parts of the episode looked like cut scenes from a game. One of the better first episodes of a new show.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Not gonna lie... I avoided all reviews and discussions about this before seeing it, but I accidentally happened to glance at Chris Stuckmann's thumbnail about it

...and his expression had me very worried

Thankfully he raves about it in the video too (which I saw after watching the episode).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to share the same thoughts I shared in the games forum…

It’s a confidently made, enjoyable, well-acted TV show… but like a hyper-literal adaptation of a book or an English-language remake of a foreign language film, I can’t help but feel the exercise is a tad redundant. Maybe redundant is the wrong word… safe or easy, maybe? The Last of Us is probably the single easiest game in the world to adapt, because it draws so heavily on TV and film inspirations in the first place - to the point where most of the storytelling has zero interactivity. In that sense, it’s even more deja vu than a straightforward book adaptation, because I’ve already seen these scenes play out!

It’s a relief they haven’t fucked the adaptation up, and in fact have done a pretty good job on it! Just a bit strange seeing a story I’ve already experienced relayed to me basically note-for-note and occasionally even shot-for-shot in a different medium (albeit with some added and extended scenes to flesh things out and some so far minor, sensible plot changes). It’s something I’ll happily watch - both out of curiosity and because it’s solidly crafted - but not really something I can get *super* excited or enthused about because it’s just the game again, without a controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I mildly enjoyed the first half hour of E1 despite the fact it came across a bit trope-ish. The sudden 20 year jump I thought to fast too soon, and didn't he age well ole Burt Reynolds. The rest was just a yawn fest and can only think the reason most would be interested in carrying on with this is because they played the game. I did not so will not.

Advertisement