Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Brian Michael

Some interesting insights on here in relation to delivery. VIN’s were issued for Grand California in first week of Jan for continental EU buyers. The view on the TMC forum is cars being sent to ROI will be shipped just after factory shut down. Based on other shipping times & allowing a week to ship cars from Zeebrugge to Dublin, would probably allow cars to be in Dublin the first week of March.

There was a similar thread for Q3 2022 deliveries, and Irish delivery dates seemed to be pushed back a few weeks when VIN’s were issued (from Aug to Sep). This ties into the SIMI data shared here previously (90% of Tesla’s registered in Q3 were in Sep). https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Maybe you could give them a call tomorrow and ask them if they can change the reservation back to 19's and confirm if that will keep the estimated dates as they were?

There's more of a chance of your configuration being en route with 19's than with 20's imo as 20's meant you lost the grant pre Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Maybe but I’d doubt they have a clue to be able to make that confirmation till they start assigning VIN’s. My estimated dates haven’t changed (yet) even with the change of 19’ to 20’

Only thing I could probably do is if they could put a note beside my order that if they have surplus cars with 19’ to offer me refusal instead of my car with 20’

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I personally don’t think the Irish cars are on the boat yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Yeah, worth a shot. As gumbo mentions, maybe it's just a case of holding your nerve here and there will hopefully be one with your spec on the ship.

If they can add a note to that effect,then all the better..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

If I rang them tomorrow would they know .. dont want to have to start ordering multiple cars as I need one by Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Another Q for the folks who already own Tesla's re Roadside Assistance.

I think New Cars come with Roadside assistance but I wasn't sure looking online how long that is for? Is it the first 4 years or 80k klms or is it for the 8 years and 160k klms?

Is this provided by the AA or someone else in Ireland?

All info appreciated.

4 years.

Provided by Tesla. Dedicated number to call.

Whether it’s better than the standard you get with your insurance policy, I don’t know. Never needed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Roadside routes through Netherlands, you'll end up with the same usual crowds, just remember an EV cannot be towed, needs to go onto a flatbed (or skirts which I don't really see in Ireland). How long you'll wait for roadside will just be down to how busy they are etc.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Source TMC

MSC IMMACOLATA on its way to UK, likely to be carrying Tesla. Expect VIN soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Brian Michael

Our deliveries don’t come via UK anymore, our ship will be going to Zebbrugge (again source TMC) and that’s what Tesla Sandyford told me.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,380 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have used Tesla roadside assistance 3 times in 3 years. Helpdesk answered straight away, flatbed truck sent asap (this is outsourced, no car company owns a fleet of recovery vehicles). Never saw any bill. Cars were under warranty (so had free road side assistance)

Issues were:

1. HV battery error, advise is to get it towed even though there was enough range remaining to drive to Sandyford myself (2014 Model S)
    2. Tyre valve burst - car got towed to nearest tyre centre, I paid for the tyre repair as it is not a warranty issue (2014 Model S)
    3. Suspension arm broke just hours after buying my new (to me) car (2017 Model S)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭costin

I've added a tow hitch and order updated and delivery widow stayed the same. Same for friends chaining colors. Bare in mind that Tesla Shanghai can build ROI allocation within less than a day.

Factory will be closed till January 31st (Chinese new year) and production will resume in February when ROI allocation is scheduled for production (unless built this week). Most likely 1st-2nd week of February cars will leave Shanghai for 1st week of March delivery here.

More than likely this year there will be a Q2 delivery - they did not dropped the price for a no reason. Investors needs to see cars delivered not allocations - and Tesla can do this compared to the rest... 2023 will be very different than 2022. This year they will fill in a ship for each quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do you have a source for paragraphs 2 and 3 or is it your own analysis?

I'd like it if that was the case because then think there would be a better chance of getting an LR. But I don't think it's feasible for a car built in week 1 Feb to get to Ireland by week 1 March. 30 days shipping to Zeebrugge alone + days to yard/load on Shanghai side + unload Zeebrugge + reload and ship to Ireland. That would be week 3 March at best and outside the 2 week timeframe currently being advised to existing order holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Thanks. Will see which charter is heading that port.

@josip Only Grande California is on route to Bruges as per today. There will be at least 2-3 ships for the quarter leaving Shanghai for RWD I'll say. Last year Q1 you did not had RWD in production - this is not only for the UK/ROI, entire European continent gets it. So there will a significant influx of cars in Bruges and Le Havre this year for the EU Market.

Tesla adopts changes every day. Wouldn't be surprised if cars are shipped on vehicle carries from Le Havre to make the quarter number. Again paradigm is different this year - they have orders booked and they can make them. Tesla is a company that can change logistics tomorrow to meet quarter numbers.

No point to reduce price and scale up production and after keep factory closed because logistics are not in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Tesla EDD’s ’ on website have shown to be ball park estimates and change frequently (in both directions). Anyone who has made a change to an existing order and not seen a change to EDD should not presume anything. Because of the flux with orders being made, changes to orders since price drop it is most unlikely in my opinion that the Tesla systems are factoring all permutations into the EDD’s Ona. Real time basis . At the best of times the projected EDD’s change a lot.

It’s true to say that Shanghai giga has large production capacity but with respect overly simplistic to relate that to specific geographies when it comes to ki Q1 deliveries. The fact is that prices have been slashed all across the world and Shanghai serves China , Asia, Australia and Europe (German Giga only ramping up ) so the changes as a result of price drops are likely to be in every country.

i hope you get your car Q1

If it's Q1 its Ok but Q2 will be OK as well.

You are matched with a VIN only once ship is fully loaded, so fact that you add a tow bar or change color should not change that much things now (if same spec is used). Most of cars will be black interior and RWD. Changing from RWD to LR would impact indeed the order, or adding white interior as those will be way less in the quarter build plan.

Bare in mind that there are SEAI forms signed that will be used first before Tesla reach out to new buyers.

This year pretty sure you'll be seeing even distribution for all 4 quarters.

Will be interesting in here if people will not accept delivery in Q2, Q3 or Q4 which is pure non-sense specially for a Tesla - see price volatility lately.

Also on finance deals you could see lenders reluctant to borrow money for a product with this much price volatility so cash buyers will have an advantage here. Less paper work and head aches if financing becomes an issue (unlikely though).

Tesla Carrier Maps shows 5 vessels in transit to Europe. So around 35k-40k cars. There will be more leaving Shanghai this quarter 100% as production scaling is not an issue anymore.

Dream Orchid is on the way back.

Current status:

Interesting that 2 ships are unloading to Barcelona pointing to a change in logistics for quarter. Would not be surprised is cars will be moved via trailers on Continent and even here to meet Q1 projections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

A few more things I remembered from Saturday's test drive.

• I found the boot space very impressive for an EV but not 854 litres impressive. I understand the 854 is measured to the glass roof, so in reality it might only be 750, but some of that is 'below decks' in 3 separate compartments. Great if your 854 litre load is in multiple small parts (like us) but if you have fewer bigger items it won't replace a van.
    • Coming from a Leaf, the mid-range and beyond acceleration was more than adequate. Would have overshot 140 multiple times it the car hadn't been limited. Found myself questioning my childish preference for an LR ,should we end up with a choice. RWD has enough to put a smile on your face if not quite a full grin. But €7000 more for a grin and c.70km more motorway range?
    • Related to the above, I didn't mind the speedo being off-centre. Didn't bother looking at it :) Might need to keep a better eye on it after we get our own.
    • My wife thought the interior a bit echoey. We put that down to the sparser interior and glass roof.
    • 30 mins is very short for a test drive, especially if you've a slow brain and never driven a Tesla before. Luckily we'd already booked 2 back to back sessions and had rtfm-ed so we got through most of what we wanted to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Same delivery date, no change

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

Hi. Never properly considered a Tesla before now, but saw the news of the price drop at the weekend, a Model Y Long Range now falls within the sort of price range we'd be shopping in, and have jumped down a Model Y rabbit hole! So any advice appreciated. The Model Y Long range looks like it can only be had in white or black without a ridiculous price jump due to the grant. Is there any clever workaround on this, or it is what it is?

Current car is a plug-in Hybrid, on a PCP deal and so we're not replacing it until Jan '24. What's the actual lead time like on a model Y, when would I need to be ordering? And will Tesla take a trade-in like a normal dealer? Is the 5K grant expiring anytime soon?

As we do a lot of Dublin to Cork trips (almost always non-stop) we need a car that can easily do 300km non-stop on 90% motorway journey, in any weather, every time. As Tesla claim 533km range, I'd like to think 300km is always achievable right? We have wall charger at home and thankfully at the other end too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No workarounds on pricing, all orders are online at those prices, even if you went into the Service Centre you would still need to go online and order, zero wiggle room.

Tesla do not do trade ins so will pump your trade in photos out to the trade where in 95% of cases you will do considerably better selling yourself (and taking on that hassle).

Dublin Cork is fine, worst case scenario you can stop in Ballacolla where there are 8 SuC, plug in for 10/15minutes and away you go. There is also a 4 stall SuC in Cork where you can fill up quickly before you leave Cork

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

And will Tesla take a trade-in like a normal dealer?

They will take a trade-in but it will be a horrible price. Unless you want to take a big haircut you will need to sell privately in advance of a confirmed delivery date.

Is the 5K grant expiring anytime soon?

Widely expected that the grant will change for the 232 deliveries. What the exact change will be is anyones guess. Could be outright removal, could be a lowering of the threshold to only includes cars below, say, €50k(€60k right now) or it could be just a simple 50% reduction... no one knows but it is expected to be changed downwards in 232.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

also changed to blue no tow bar, same delivery date as my previous white with tow bar order done in october. bearing in mind i had made my changes thursday, the day before the price drop but it only reflected now. also the price in the pdf has reflected the change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

@KCross Widely expected that the grant will change for the 232 deliveries. What the exact change will be is anyones guess. Could be outright removal, could be a lowering of the threshold to only includes cars below, say, €50k(€60k right now) or it could be just a simple 50% reduction... no one knows but it is expected to be changed downwards in 232.

Possibly the large recent price drop from Tesla will precipitate the grant removal, the argument that Evs are much more expensive than ICE has gone in one swoop..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Quick question for those in the know.

Will I have the ability to charge my new Tesla before leaving collection point? I will have a 260km road trip to get back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

You will have access to the Supercharger network, so a quick top-up will get you where you want to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

No, they will have some charge in car but will vary. A call before collection may allow for extra but don't rely on it. Advisable to call to a nearby charger on route home as new car bms will not be accurate with range, especially if LFP.

Advertisement