Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tftsteph

was a better tighthead scrummager than loose, where he has struggled at times to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

That actually wasn't the case. France for example always had 2 props on the bench. It was a choice by coaches. Deccie always picked just one bench prop, prefering to have more flexibility with outside backs. Remember the game in Twickenham when Ross buggered off the pitch after 20 minutes and Tom Court was demolished illegally by Corbisiero. Court had beeen playing at loose head for years. Deccie could have had 2 props but didn't.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Racing are having a massive clear out of players at the end of the season though.

On commentary yesterday they mentioned that 5 of their 1st choice back-line were moving on at the end of the season.

Lancaster will be a big help to them , but they will need a few more players as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

As long as he leaves our lads home. Lol. There's a lot of players who would find Paris attractive and would like playing for Stu.

With the national squad being picked this week, I believe Osborne will be selected. He showed a lot this week despite, being off the boil v Ospreys, imo. Overall his season has been great.

On the other hand, Deegan will likely miss out. The injury and it's timing have fcuked him. But that leaves us with Connors and Deegan available during the 6nations.

After this week, are the international lads available to play v Cardiff? If not, we will be fielding a pretty green side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I'm not sure about that. Money will be on the table, but can't see first teasers going unless close to retirement.

Maybe ruddock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I can see a few of the in between guys being tempted, who maybe have limited opportunity to be an Irish regular but Stu would like to fill out his Racing squad. I think Rhys would be too old, but maybe Deegan? Luke McGrath?

Or similar to Stan Wright, Alaalatoa could follow our former coach to Paris when his contract expires.

I imagine the only guys who will feature are guys who the Irish mgmt my want to get some gametime into, but I can't think of many like that at the moment (maybe Joe McCarthy, possibly Henshaw if he's back).

We don't really have many very green sides, and even with internationals gone, I still think we'd have a team with something like:

Milne, McKee, Ala'alatoa, Molony, Jenkins, Ruddock, Penny, Culhane, McGrath, R Byrne, Russell, Ngatai, Turner, Kearney, Cosgrave, with subs like McElroy, Hanan, Abdaladze, Deeny, Connors, Foley, H Byrne & Max O'Reilly.

That team should be above for a depleted Cardiff side.

Ruddock could definitely do a job for a year or two.

Hadn't thought of deegan. Moloney perhaps?

Ruddock is signed for next year? Maybe he would go. He'd make a good pile of cash.

• Advertisement

Deegan would stay, imo. He's been in great form and was recalled to the national squad. I doubt that Stu would sign Connors. He's way too injury prone. What about Sean O' Brien?

I'd say there's a better chance of him signing the Sean O'Brien who pitched up for Naas in the AIL (or the big ginger one who used to play for Connacht, or Conor's brother who went to Exeter) than there is of him picking up the one from Leinster's academy. Racing are going to sign marquee style players IMO.

Be a great signing. But who knows about family circumstances. Big change at there at his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The latest injury update has been posted:

Will Connors, Thomas Clarkson, Max Deegan, Luke McGrath and Joe McCarthy are all expected to train full this week after recovering from injuries.

No updates on Furlong, Sexton, Jenkins, Ngatai or Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Was about to ask about Frawley, but I see he is listed under the no new updates section with his knee injury.

It's the Jenkins one I'm most anxious about, but I guess there is plenty of time between now and when we really need him. It's more just that this was his Munster experience - perpetually injured. Really hope he's back healthy by the business end.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

After getting shafted by Ireland for so many years, he deserves a big payday

Second half for sure, post 50mins I think. Sorry, not very helpful. Came after we were in their 22 iirc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If Ruddock is not good enough for Ireland, and increasingly not good enough for Leinster, why would Racing want to waste a non-JIFF spot on him? They've already signed Siya Kolisi and, apparently, Manie Libbok.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed - Any "International" signing they make will be a very high profile one.

• Advertisement

No update on Furlong? Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He was never shafted by Ireland and he won't be getting a big payday.

Anyone have an overview of how the players who left Leinster last season are faring?

ROL, Dunne, Hawkshaw, Dooley, Josh Murphy and whoever I've forgotten

He absolutely should have had more caps than he did. He was the form 6 in the country for a good number of seasons. He had unfortunate timing with injuries, but there were a good number of occasions when he was overlooked for Stander or POM, despite outperforming them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Rory O'Loughlin (Exeter)

Has 14 appearances including 8 starts for Exeter this season, racking up 650 minutes total. Has only missed out on the squad four times. Seems to have fallen out of favour from the starting line-up somewhat with Exeter choosing to use winger Solomone Kata at inside centre for the past three games rather than O'Loughlin. Dropping to the bench coincides with the game against the Bulls in the Champions Cup where he started at 12, was awful for 15 minutes and was hooked due to injury.

Jack Dunne (Exeter)

Was dropped straight into the starting team at loosehead lock, starting three of the the first four games of the season. Has mostly been benched since when he has featured (6 bench spots vs 4 starts). Has been included in 13 out of 18 squads with 7 starts. Was included in the European Cup team for the first time last week where he started at 4. He played the full 80 the previous week against Northampton in his first start at tighthead lock. He has amassed 511 minutes total which is a decent amount considering he never broke the 200 minute mark at any point for Leinster in a season.

Adam Byrne (Connacht)

Has only featured four times for Connacht this season, with two starts, scoring two tries, including one phenomenal solo effort against Newcastle in the Challenge Cup. He did not appear to be injured for the beginning of the season, so presumably was just out of favour until December with Connacht opting for John Porch on the right wing. His only starts for Connacht came in the Challenge Cup where Connacht have largely opted for a second string team. Has only managed 198 minutes total so far which is about 40 less than he managed with Leinster around this time last season.

Peter Dooley (Connacht)

I'd imagine Dooley would have fancied his chances to drop straight into the starting team for Connacht, but that hasn't really worked out where has has found himself behind Denis Buckley in the pecking order. He has started 6 games, and benched for 6 more. Three of his starts have come in weakened Connacht sides in the Challenge Cup. Started home and away against Leinster, possibly to help predict Leinster's set piece, where they had a lot of success, especially at the RDS. Has gained 462 minutes total all the same, more than all of last year with Leinster.

Josh Murphy (Connacht)

A fairly successful season for Murphy so far where he has found himself alternating between loosehead lock and blindside flanker, starting 9 games and benching for one more. He has totalled 618 minutes for Connacht which is 60 or so minutes more than he managed with Leinster last season.

David Hawkshaw (Connacht)

A very successful move for Hawkshaw. He looks like he could be a real gem of a player, and is still young at 23. Has featured largely as a ball carrying 12 for Connacht with 5 starts in that position. Has also started at out half three times and benched a further three times for 11 games total, amassing 679 minutes, 3 tries and 33 points total. Unfortunately it looked like he suffered a season ending injury against Leinster at the RDS, but has managed to more than double his professional rugby minutes in half a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Should Leinster be looking at Rennie or Gibbes to replace Lancaster?

Thank you very much, Serbian, very comprehensive review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not sure on Rennie, but I'd stay clear of Gibbes as a head coach/DoR. He burned bridges at Ulster with his conduct.

Clermont have also been pretty poor this season. That's not entirely his fault as it's a side in decline anyway, but he hasn't managed to arrest it either.

• Advertisement

True. Neither I'd say.

I'm sure leinster already got somebody.

Advertisement