Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

Gavin Coombes makes the Midi Olympique's team of the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Gavin Coombes was outstanding (again)

If he wasn't playing, Munster lose that game and don't even get a LBP

From start, to the literal last moment of that game he was an engine of power and determination

I'd also like to praise Niall Scannell

His lineout throwing was fantastic in difficult conditions, and he put in an enormous amount of work for the full 80 minutes with multiple big moments in that game and very few errors

The hookers did a warm up before the game in front of us with Andi Kyriacou holding the net, the amount of balls that went astray was unreal but in fairness Niall got his target during the game

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Ref did his best to avoid giving a red card to the Northampton hooker. There was head contact on Carbury which was drawn to his attention.

JOD was a RC all day

ref missed a late front shoulder on Coombes in the last movement before JOD scored

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

You were at the right side for the action so, phog. Anyone down the town end only had 3 points scored in front of them, the other 47 were all scored down the Ballynanty end.

A few thoughts on that one after getting to watch it back:

• Similarities to the first game; primarily attacking in the first half, defending in the second. The difference was the attacking was improved and the defending was in large part down to the red card. 
    • Felt like it should've been more comfortable than it was, but down to 14 men for 60 minutes was never gonna be easy. 
    • And on the 2 incidents, I think the difference between them is that while the one on Joey could have been a red card, JOD's was a red card, if that makes sense.
    • I think the conditions, and wind in particular were very changeable and often worse than they came across on tv. Carbery seemed to lose the flight of one catch early on and Casey took one from kick-off. A lot of the kicking after seemed to take a lower trajectory.
    • Lovely variations on our lineout and 5m tap for the first try. I've been critical of our 5m tap with Niall Scannell in the past so that was good to see. 
    • And some good patience for the 2nd try, really super score. Originated from a Crowley intercept and super quick transition off the back of a Northampton maul just outside our 22. Haley with a brilliant kick, Crowley ran it back to their 10m line and 12 phases later we were over.  
    • A lot of players, and obviously Coombes in particular, put in a serious shift. Coombes and Crowley seemed to be battered and on one leg by the end of it. 
    • Great to see Crowley was his usual abrasive self tho. Involved in 2 choke tackles leading to unplayable mauls. 
    • One thing I haven't seen mentioned is Frisch's poor kicking. Reminiscent of DDA's kicking vs Toulouse last year and I'd wager is why we don't see it all that often. 
    • With the 14 men, we couldn't maintain our usual linespeed in defence, but we showed some brilliant resolute defending at the end to close out what could've been a very nervy finish. Shane Daly's tackle in particular was quality. 
    • The restart at the very end, I expected Crowley to just go for distance. He didn't, made it contestable, and Nash legally tied up the catcher to form the maul. Clearly called and well excuted stuff. Our re-starts in general have been much better this season; they were problematic at times last year. 
    • I think Patterson's passing needs to improve, was wayward and fired at guys at times. He's still only started 6 games for us, which you'd nearly forget given his impact this season. 
    • But on that note, Murray would've been absolutely perfect off the bench to finish that one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The very last play, Nash ran in behind the catcher and joined the maul from behind, which is perfectly legal but would have needed to be pre-planned. It was a stroke of genius that they must have worked on in the training field. I think Munster's coaching ticket are properly smart, and able to translate that into fully executed moves on the pitch.It's very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭leakyboots

It begs the question - why don't teams do it the whole time? Very clever play

Probably because it's a maul from a kick & the team in possession would get the scrum. Yesterday, that didn't matter because it was full time. All we wanted to do yesterday was make the ball unplayable.

• Advertisement

I jokingly suggested to our group that we should move up to the Mayorstone end for the second half to get a closer look at all the scores 🤭

I think that's spot on tbh, wasn't there a law change around that recently or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I thought the ref could have called held up for a choke tackle sooner- and before the 80 elapsed on the stadium clock - I had hopes of us even still going for the bonus. He let that go on longer than I thought (or was it because it was moving?)

Just had a look at Coombes' stats for the last 8 games, all of which he's started. He's averaging 42.9m off 16.6 carries and 12.7 tackles a game.

6 tries in those 8 games as well. He's in a brilliant vein of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

They gave coombes the plaudits for that play on the TV because his strength secured the maul, but it was nash that made it possible in the first place.

It wouldnt have been a muster scrum had he called it sooner.

That's correct, the team that catches the ball from a kick retains the possession if the ball becomes unplayable.

I'm a bit confused though as I thought a maul couldn't be formed from a re-start.

His try assist for JOD try is worth noting too, that's the kind of stuff a coach likes to see and it wasn't just a pass, it was sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

There's definitely a case to use Coombes as a decoy in some situations. He will draw in more than one defender who are fearful of him making a big carry. He could be used to put others into space as a variation. He has a good pair of hands as shown for that try yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Loved seeing Crowley's eagerness to enter a ruck. Even better when he got a whollop from Jean Kleyn and told to get the fck out of there sharpish!

Youthful enthusiasm!

• Advertisement

There is that but you don't really want your playmaker getting involved in rucks especially if you want your team to attack from turnovers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ah yeah I know. It was just funny to see happen in real time too.

Which is exactly what he did against the lions recently in musgrave park, he was being very well marshelled by their 8, a great player as well, and put his hands to good use many times. There was a very good example posted here which linked TRK or some twitter account

Unreal to think we are not even missing a player of CJ Standers quality!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Think he was used as a decoy off a lineout that nearly had Jack away, on their 22, ball was tapped down to Jod who threw a massive dummy to his left, all the saints players bought it, and he peeled around the front, was a cracking move and I reckon we'll see it again, closer to the line and its a try

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The new format makes it very interesting.

All teams chasing either Qualification or a Home round of 16.

Leicester at home Friday night should beat Ospreys.

Northampton at home could upset La Rochelle, but expecting La Rochelle to go all out for the best ranking they can get.

Stormers at home should beat Clermont, a draw would be ideal.

Ulster at home should be able to beat Sale, after the 39-0 spanking from the reverse fixture it's doubtful though. This result alone would send Munster through to the last 16.

Montpellier at home should beat London Irish.

Toulouse should be favourites to beat Munster, but hopefully Munster could at least get a LBP, or just keep the points difference better than teams chasing us, playing last might give an advantage.

Interesting from a Toulouse point of view, if the Ospreys don't win, and the Stormers don't win, Toulouse will have a Home round of 16 wrapped up before playing Munster.

Ya, I think that was the lineout just prior to the 5m tap for the 2nd try. As far as I remember, Casey stood at the front of the lineout with someone else as 9, Casey looped around as the decoy with Coombes trailing him, and JOD was away down the blindside.

I think JOD even had someone outside him that he maybe should've passed to, would've been almost certain try. Fwiw, I thought JOD was having a really good game, that mistake excepting, up until he got the red.

The hooker was outside him and I think he was a decoy too to draw their guy closer to the corner flag but their defence followed the ball carrier.

I'd need to see it on TV but I think Scannell was initially out of the field of play.

Also, we've Bennetton the week after Toulouse, and then the break for the 6 Nations; it's possible only at that point will Jean Kleyn get a very well deserved break. He's started every week for us going back to Connacht on 26th November.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ospreys could surprise Leicester , but think they'll have enough at home but probably won't get a BP.

Not a chance that Northampton will beat La Rochelle , they might stop them picking up a BP though.

Stormers should win comfortably , Clermont are a shadow of the side they used to be - The sacking of Gibbes might prompt a response , but don't see it making a difference.

You'd hope that Ulster will get a response at home , both from the dreadful performance in the earlier fixture but also from the near miss but hugely improved performance at the weekend but it will be tight either way.

Montpelier will be well up for it and London Irish can't seem to keep 15 on the pitch these days so MTP to collect all 5 I think.

Toulouse should win , but a good performance from Munster could see them picking up a BP and maybe prevent Toulouse from getting one. A good start will be essential..

All that means that it could be very tight indeed for the last couple of slots for the last 16 in the Group.

La Rochelle, Toulouse , Leicester and Stomers have the Top 4 locked and any/all of the 1st 3 could finish on 18 points so places will come down to PD.

Think Montpelier are locked in for 5th place , but the order of the last few slots are absolutely up for grabs

I see both Ospreys and Munster getting a LBP which puts them in 6th/7th place respectively with Sale and Ulster basically playing for 8th place.

But if either Munster or Ospreys don't get the LBP and Sale win then they could leap frog above them.

• Advertisement

Yes, our lock injury list must be taking it's toll on him, we'll surely be without JOD for those games too.

Short turn around too for those games considering we're traveling away for both of them.

Advertisement