Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Bazunu should've done better with that clean sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

So we calling English players that want to represent their country being cap tied. Bamfords one England cap means more to him than whatever number of Irish caps he would have gotten. Mark Noble would have killed for one England cap when he could have gotten 100+ Ireland caps. Some people just wanna represent their country rather than pick up cheap caps somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That wasnt really my point. Southgate clearly picks players for his squads to enhance the depth in pool he picks from. Thats fine. He is entitled to do that. Some of these lads will never be good enough to represent England but Southgate covers his bases and gives them hope. All of a sudden a lad will be 27 or 28 and it will have passes them.

My main point is that in the future and now even it doesnt take a lot for a young like hodge for example to get noticed and maybe get a call off Southgate. Play 15-20 games in the PL and that could happen.

Some players off the top of my head

Solanke

Mitchell

Justin

Walker peters

Nathaniel Chalobah

Redmond

There are a good few more too.

Now i fully get the fact that those lads all wanted to represent England and the best of luck to them. But for me Southgates motives are clear. Give them a bit of hope, a cap maybe and ensure you dont lose a potentially useful player you might need in the morning. As ive said i wouldnt like Hodge to be getting a call no matter how remote the idea is.

Hodge being a midfielder and getting PL game time is probably good enough to get in our squad anyway and improve it so its a no brainer. Id tie him down.

Obviously im not saying to cap Cannon. I was joking.

Post edited by Gusser09 on

That performance last night will do Gavin the world of good. Hopefully give his confidence a lift. He has made mistakes no doubt this year but that's to be expected of a young lad. Probably lucky that Southampton don't really have another viable option to replace him which means he will get the full season in the PL at least. I'd love Southampton to stay up too. He will only improve the more he plays at this level.

Behind a paywall but Belfast Telegraph also running with it. Hopefully we can secure him. Seems to be very highly rated.

If he's looking to play for us now is the best time to do it since he's only played with Northern Ireland at U18s level. Makes it easier for him to switch back in time if he doesn't make it with us and they want him.

Burnley with the lowball offer. Whatever about his form having a possible impact on his value it's a player whose made it very public he wants out of Swansea and his contract has 18 months left.

• Advertisement

Yeh he's worth a lot more than that and Swansea know it. Goalscorers are likes hens teeth and he is easily worth 3 times that.

The lads seems like another type of Aaron Connolly character. Now obviously he's backed it up somewhat but if he does get to move he'll need to hit the ground running to justify his carry on.

From and international perspective we'll need him playing regularly and scoring. Idah, Parrott when fit, Connolly, Ferguson,Robinson and Ogbene just haven't got anywhere near that level in the championship.

Was solankes cap not a friendly? Mitchell and Justin will likely make the squad again at some point, chalobah was highly rated and would have been with Southgate for a few years in the u21’s, the only real odd name is redmond.

I actually thought think GS makes a point of not doing this, Hudson - odoi, Lamptey, cash, Antonio, if he was this way inclined he would have just called Musiala up from the 21’s two years ago when he already looked like a star.

Could be on the move to promotion chasing Blackburn.

Hoefully Kilkennys representatives are ensuring playing time. I fear he isnt at Championship level though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

You would think if he is a Cliftonville player there is a good chance he will play with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Is there any information on the tickets for the France home match? Have they gone on sale?

I'll be brutally honest here. With the report which at best questioned Vera Pauws treatment of some players in the states this doesnt really sit right. It cant just be brushed under the carpet either. I know Vera has challenged the findings of the report but there are questions and players statements which need to be verified. Its bad timing. Vera herself in my opinion should had withdrawn from the running. Not a geat image.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Allegations seem flimsy enough. Coaches questioning players nutrition should be normal enough at the level players were playing at. I've heard similar types of rules under Premier League manager's and it's seen as groundbreaking and showing attention to detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The allegations are hilariously flimsy and are actually more a fault of the clubs mental health department than anything Pauw did. If the allegations are true.

Young lad the FAI are tracking scored a cracker last night. Only turned 17 in August and has been in great form for Cliftonville recently. FAI will have to move fast if they want to get him in for the 19s in March because at this rate could get a senior call up from NI.

• Advertisement

Tom Cannon straight into the starting XI with Parrott and Delap on the bench.

Evan Ferguson gets the start against Liverpool. Pity Hodge isn't starting then we would have had a 20yr old keeper, 21yr old CB, 20yr old CM, and a 18yr old CF all starting in the PL at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Jeff Hendrick scores for Reading.

Hendrick for Reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

And again 2 for Hendrick

Hendrick with another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Ferguson with a peach of a pass resulting in an assist for BHA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Ferguson is ripping it up here for Brighton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ferguson has looked so comfortable at Premier League level in all of the games he has played so far. Hugely impressive considering his age. I would say he has a good chance of keeping his spot in this Brighton team.

Ferguson assist. Looking really settled at this level. Long may it continue.

• Advertisement

Parrott on for PNE.

Is dowell eligible? 2 goals today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Decent day for the Irish today.

Bazunu and Southampton get a badly needed win. Collins keeps a clean sheet and win over West ham. Ferguson an assist and win over Liverpool.

In the Championship - Hendrick scores 2 for Reading, O'Dowda and Keane both score in a 1-1 draw, Molumby scores as himself and O'Shea come back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 and move into the playoff positions, Cullen wins with Burnley to extend their lead at the top, Omobamidele starts and keeps a clean sheet as Norwich win 4-0 vs PNE who started Cannon for his debut and Parrott came off the bench to come back from injury. Manning gets an assist in a 3-1 win for Swansea. Sykes scores twice for Bristol in a 4-2 win.

We haven't had to look at L1 as much as the last year or two thankfully but Hourihane scored for Derby and they win 3-2 with Knight, Collins and Cashin all starting too. Also Finn Azazz comes back from injury for Plymouth and grabs an assist for a last minute equaliser.

Welbeck might be a starter after that goal today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭deisedude

He might but he is so injury prone Ferguson should still get plenty of minutes especially with Trossard acting the Primadonna

Pushing for a starting spot with Ireland at this stage. Though whoever starts up front against France won't see much of the ball. Two goals and two assists in his four games so far though only came on with 7 minutes left in the first game.

Think Welbeck starting the next game will come down to fitness. Ferguson is contributing and Brighton are winning so De Zerbi might feel they don't have to rush Welbeck back into the starting XI so soon. When looking at Ferguson's stats he actually has the same number of goal contributions as Welbeck this season in only 174mins of PL football. Though has more goals scored than Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,199 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lemina's arrival will limit Hodges minutes, that will annoy Southgate.

Alan Nixon claiming Obafemi to Burnley is close as they've come back with another bid of £3m.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see who goes on to be a better player out of Mudryk and Evan Ferguson. Obviously Mudryk would be the favourite currently.

mudryk brings in possibly 75 million to the Ukrainian football scene (it could be 100 million if 25 million wasnt being going to Ukrainian army)

ferguson brings in maybe 10000 euro for now with maybe it possible to rise to around 1 million.

pays to have a football economy.

It's incredible money for Mudryk but thats the way it is at the moment.

I don't think you are comparing like for like though. Irish domestic football is and always has been a basket case. It's entirely the clubs fault for not getting the payments they feel they should be getting.

It's not a new problem either so there has been plenty of time to address it. Lessons weren't learned with Seamus Coleman, Kevin Doyle or James McClean for example.

Well shamrock rovers isn’t a basket case anymore, it got a leg up in a stadium got built for them and now they’ve become quite an impressive, profit making, professional emblem in Irish domestic football capable of striking transfer deals that brings in a million euro and this is only early days where rovers are only beginning to realize their potential.

maybe there’s a lesson in there

Certainly not a basket case anymore but the stadium they got was a huge help. I wouldn't comparing them to Shaktar or the top ukranian teams. How much did Bazunu go for?

Irish clubs like Rovers need to starting getting into the 7 figures for players and take it from there perhaps.

with this talk of “7 figures” you’re not hugely familiar with the financial realities that LOI clubs face I take it?

LOI clubs struggle to pay players out of season or offer more than a one or two year contract and that contract may only be semi professional even for big clubs like Bohs or probably cork city. Rovers might be the only club with their own training ground ( open to correction on that)

rovers can because they got a leg up no other LOI team did. They are now prospering and becoming a decent example of what can happen within Irish domestic football if support is offered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭srfc d16

While no doubt the stadium has been a huge benefit to Rovers (and Tallaght) They are not the only team renting a stadium. Off the top of my head and some of these may no longer be correct but Cork, Galway, Derry, Drogheda, Waterford, Limerick are also renting the stadium from either councils or the local FA

• Advertisement

Keith Andrews about to be multi tasking like a mother fucker this year. Rice replaced Ruaidhri Higgins back in 2021 when appointed Derry City manager.

Strange enough considering I don't think he has managed a club before? Could be wrong on that. Managers going over might have had some success domestically here before. Best of luck to him though and hopefully he can be successful. We badly need realistic managerial targets when Kenny goes. Not a lot of them playing their trade in England or further afield at the moment.

He hasn't but the fact they've approached the FAI to speak with him is interesting given his lack of experience and you'd imagine there's tons of coaches in the UK similar to Rice they could approach. So someone at Swindon must know him and see him as someone that would suit management. Was a coach with Crystal Palace U23s for one season before leaving to join the Irish set up as chief scout and opposition analyst.

Interesting point of view here obviously no hint of it happening. If Kelleher could be guaranteed to be a started it would be a great move. But would a club who want to be in the top 4 every season be willing to take a chance on an inexperienced GK? Lloris has been undoubtedly poor in patches this season. I'd think spurs will be looking at spending big money to sign a proven GK for a bit of stability.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this summer anyway and you'd assume Liverpool will put buy back clauses into this contract too. I wonder would Klopp use any of his contact to engineer a move to Germany.

Spurs will be all over Pickford in the summer as he'll be going into the last year of his contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement