Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Was it in an intermediate count that Dick Spring came within a few votes of being eliminated?

End result wasn't that close according to the below (3 seater):

Jimmy Deenihan Fine Gael   10,087

Denis Foley Fianna Fail 7,611

Dick Spring Labour    6,739

Declan Finucane Sinn Féin   668

Dan Kiely Fianna Fail 2,939

Thomas McEllistrim Fianna Fail 6,161

William Leen Sinn Féin   559

Unfortunately a count-by-count breakdown is not given.

Brian Farrell talks to Dick Spring and mentions five votes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Never mind, that's just the first count...

With apologies to the Irish Times, Feb 20th 1987, p11:

Foley has one more first pref than on Elections Ireland - and his fourth count total is wrong, 7888 + 203 = 8091!!!

All done in six counts. There were a lot fewer no-hopers clogging up the system in those days.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bloody hell, talk about not transfer friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Remarkable again the inability of this government to get ahead of a story.

Seems to me he should have been sacked, and not allowed to try and slide under the carpet hoping it would all go away if he resigned quickly. The damage will just keep on accruing now.

? Spring got FG transfers, FFers got FFer transfers. No surprises there. But only one FG candidate to transfer to Labour. FF and SF weren't going to transfer much to Spring.

Mad having three FF candidates in a three seater, yes many votes will transfer but some will not. Given how tight it ended up, 2 candidates would almost certainly have produced 2 TDs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

What's their plan to fund the future pension timebomb ? 70 percent marginal tax rate on peasants earning 40k plus ?

Free gp visits is another farce, medical card holders should be paying minimum e20. Free transport and TV licence for pensioners etc. Sure why not just give them everything free, paid for by many young working people, who should be working in gulags to keep others comfy...

Or at least that seems to be government attitude...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,050 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Older people for the most part paid for those things themselves through their tax. Same as we are paying now for our future benefits.

No one should pay for a GP. Most other civilized European countries manage it somehow.

Absolutely nobody is paying for their future pension and benefits through tax. Its simply not how it works. We are paying for current expenditure on pensions - many of whom will not have paid anywhere near enough tax to pay for the benefits they are now accruing.

You have to pay for GP visits in lots of European countries. Sometimes insurance covers a large chunk of the cost.

Ya we are paying for the current pension out goings and the people now on pensions paid for their elders and young people will pay ours when older so it's semantics.

GP care in the EU is actually harder to look up than I thought. France charges but you get it back, Belgium you get some back, Germany and Sweden are free at point of use from what I can see. Outside the EU the UK is free.

Its not semantics, because the working cohort vs pension cohort ratio is changing, and very much changing in the negative economically.

Yes, there is a large variety in terms of how they implement healthcare. Nordics tend to go more towards NHS style free at the point of use, others are more insurance based where you get most or all costs back depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres no way young people will be paying for our pensions, the worker vs retiree ratio here is going to crater in the next 2 decades from 4:1 to 2:1 and theres no way the system as it currently stands will be economically feasible. The UK and many other western countries are on their way to a similar situation.

You are right about the tax to pension/elderly payout ratio.

My comment was in response to the sensationalist post it was replying to and was pretty simplistic.

The aging population is one of the great issues facing EU nations and their health services. Taking away bus passes and TV license exemptions is not how to deal with it as mentioned earlier.

I've mentioned this before in the Brexit thread and basically the lack of conversation around the 2:1 ratio and the dismissal of it from Brexiters really really angered me

Anyone under the age of 50 who dismisses it is either too stupid to understand the problem or doesnt want to have to think about how big a problem its going to be.

Or had been conditioned to blame everything on "others" which is what happened during Brexit. Unfit unemployable losers blaming hard working tax paying foreigners for all their problems.

We are nothing more than lucky in Ireland that we are behind other EU countries in terms of our average age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

So what do ye think the solution should be

Raise pension age, reduce pension benefits, increase contributions, actually allow irish citizens to invest in a stock market directly and **** off deemed disposal rule?

Discourage crime with consequences and reduce expenditure on dealing with recidivism?

Reduce able bodied career welfare "spongers" by reducing payments and benefits over time?

Stop encouraging people to have kids they only have the means to care for if in receipt of govt payments or encourage them to have even more as older people will need them to pay the pensions?

Its going to involve a massive political, cultural and economic shift which nobody is willing to discuss let alone follow through on yet.

Pension age absolutely has to be raised but every party is too afraid of the Grey vote to even start an honest discussion of the problem. Beyond that a discussion of completely revamping the entire caring of retirees and pensioners needs to have started 10 years ago specifically in relation to healthcare. As bad as the current beds crisis is its only going to get worse every year as our population gets older while living longer and simply adding more beds to hospitals isnt going to make the problem of caring for the increasing numbers of elderly who cant take care of themselves magically disappear.

Having children needs to be made drastically less expensive as soon as possible. This wont fix the problem we are facing but it might help stabilise things 10+ years after it really begins.

The people who have too many kids than they can care for are nothing close to being part of the problem when dealing with the billions of euro it will take to solve this problem and neither are the "spongers". They are a drop in the ocean compared to the pension time bomb.

We absolutely need to fix how punitive it is for the average person to invest in the stock market, its one of the main reasons why property is seen as the only viable investment strategy for the average person which obviously has led to the housing issue and thus less people having children.

Im not a politician nor civil servant so really I dont know what the solutions are and honestly its not my job. I do make it a point to raise this issue online, with family, friends and politicians whenever I can which realistically is all I can do to affect things and the above ideas are probably only a few of the solutions that might work to help get us anywhere close to solving the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭PommieBast

The only way I see any meaningful reform actually happening is if someone like the the IMF comes to town and forces it.

Discourage crime with consequences and reduce expenditure on dealing with recidivism?

This is so hilariously irrelevant in the grand scheme of expenditure I don't even know where to start. I think it does rather succeed in highlighting just how much people underestimate the scale of the problem though.

Yup we are talking about a complete collapse of the state pension system which for the last budget was around 9 billion which is just shy of 10% of the total budget of 99 billion and it is only going to go up even if we do increase the pension age.

The idea that tackling social welfare fraud, child benefit problems or recidivism is going to plug a potential, at current rates, 20+ billion hole in our future budgets when the worker to retiree ratio drops to half of what it is now is just ludicrous.

• Advertisement

When we can't afford to service our state debt due to pensions eating up 20% or more of our budgets it might happen and it will be far too late

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Surely raising the pension age is extremely relevant? It's not even optional - it is an essential minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Paschal Donoghue falling on the mercy of SIPO, a body successive governments have hindered from being an effective disciplinary body is peak Irish politics really.

I think we could get a bit more inventive than just raising it. I don't mind someone actually taking the money and actually retiring at 66. It's when they get the money and still block a job for the next number of years is the problem.

I would say 66 with no other income and 68 if you wanna keep working.

It would be great if there was a way to separate labour intensive jobs and office jobs but it would just be way too much bureaucracy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is ridiculous that some employees (like RE staff members) have to retire at 65 and effectively go on the dole for a year until they get the state pension.

It should be a legal right of employees to remain at work or retire from, say, 60 to 70 as they elect, and the employer must respect that right. That would get over that particular anomaly.

The other option would be to allow deferment of the state pension that would allow an increased pension in that case. Now properly actuarially calculated, there would be no real benefit for the state from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭amacca

Oh you are probably correct, I was just throwing out bits and piecesIve heard over the years!

What about the other items on the menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

getting a hatchet to TD's and minister's pensions would be a good start. Final salary pensions have pretty much vanished from the private sector, because they are financially unviable, yet we still insist on giving them out to politicians simply for getting elected three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Some of the SF shady dealings chickens coming home to roost.

You are in a really bad way when the DUP hold the high moral ground relative to your position.

"Sinn Fein regularly engages with the Registrar's office and Sinn Féin MPs are fully compliant with the Register of Interests at Westminster and all relevant interests are declared in line with the rules.”"

Falling on the mercy of the Westminister run British institution of the Register of Interests must be peak SF revisionist policies.

Aside from that, the most interesting part of that article is this:

"“The recent focus on MP finances must move beyond individual representatives however, and include moves to close the dark money loophole which allows foreign donations to influence politics in Northern Ireland when it is banned across the rest of the UK and in the Republic of Ireland."

Plenty of people have commented on this dark money loophole before and it puts things like paying people to hang posters in the halfpenny place.

Thats like going after benefit frauds fixing recidivism etc would come nowhere close to solving the state pension crisis that is coming. Get rid of it because you think its unfair etc but its got nothing to do with solving this state pension issue being discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Portchy

it's leading from the front.

It would be interesting to understand what percentage of running state/local government agencies goes towards paying in to final salary pension schemes. I'm sure I read somewhere that something like 40% of the cost of providing fire services in Cork went towards pension commitments and that surely can not be sustainable.

Advertisement