Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian warship, go f**k yourself!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

No Yosemite, I'm not involved in farming, but I remember as a student working for an agricultural company that sold, serviced and hired out agricultural machinery, including combine harvesters, and I remember helping the mechanics prepare them for the harvest season. And once the season started, there was always a mechanic on standb24/7 for the duration of the season to cover breakdowns. And they did break down. Plus back then, they were much simpler than todays machines, combatively speaking. Anyone fixing nearly any kind of machinery nowadays, will need a computer, and in most cases, only the main dealership will be able to perform certain functions, maybe you have already come across this with your car? Hence my comments about agricultural machinery stolen in Ukraine, and shipped back to Russia where it was subsequently tracked down and disabled over the internet.

I've lived in Russia for several year's, and travelled extensively, so have seen the vast wheatfields, and what is left of the massive Soviet enterprise farms, called "Collectives" but now broken up into private enterprise. But during the Soviet times, when their machinery was very basic, frequently broke down and not as capable or efficient as it is today, hundreds of Russians would be called to their local collective to help with the harvest. And that involved using scythes and lots of other hand tools, rakes etc. Labour in Soviet Russia was never a problem because back then it was a crime not to have job. But in times gone by, we had this too in Ireland when the Scythe and hay rake were a common sight on Irish farms. I'm sure that there are plenty posters here on Boards that remember what Farming was back like in the 60's, 70's and 80's when machines were not as plentiful as they are now, and a lot more manual labour was required.

Your mention of Nuclear war, I do not understand how it fits in the conversation. So far since Hiroshima we have not had any Nuclear wars, to the best of my knowledge.

The whole point of my comment yosemitesam is that Russia prior to February 2022 was in a completely different place to where it is now, or will ever be again ( at least for many years) Putin's war has completely ripped the very fabric of Russia Society apart in every aspect. The departure of key people from society leaves black holes that cannot be filled. The Russian economy now resembles a swiss cheese, full of holes.

Yes of course you can. And by March 2022, 13'000 protesters had been arrested, and thereafter, the Nrs being arrested dropped. Then you have the 700'000 who voted with their feet, and left, now in all fairness, they had a bit more incentive..leave or be mobilized. If the rumored next mobilization of 700'000 goes ahead, so we will see how that goes. Some people are saying that anyone who could get out has already gone, so you won't see too many more leaving. I'm not so sure about that...desperate people will do desperate things when the situation demands. Now you have to think, instead of leaving why did those 700'000 + many hundreds of thousands more who left earlier, not stand and fight?? That's the question.... could it be that Putin controls society so much, that its not possible to stand and fight? Just like North Korea?

Tony, if the Russian soldiers are well motivated, why do they need two lines behind the front line to keep them in place? So line one, the meat for the grinder, are kept in place by line 2, who in turn are "motivated" by line 3 Wagner,. Well, if the Russians are not giving up Soledad easily, well neither are the Ukrainians. The Soledad story is far from finished, IMHO.

"Yes of course you can."

That took a lot of unnecessary words to agree that russians have a choice.

The 700,000 left to save their skins. They're not protesting against the war or putrid. It's not a sign off being against the war, they just don't want to die themselves.

"its not possible to stand and fight?"

At some point, you're going to have to make up your mind. You're saying they can, and they can't 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

There's plenty of programs on BBC ect which show how the kremlin control people and people's mind . One of there methods of controlling protests is to go for the family and associates of the protester , so out goes Herdquitter to show his absolute defiance of the kremlins war , home comes Herdquitter wi5h a busted head , now a draftee and his family still in jail who won't be grateful for his ideas. Feck it says Herdquitter, I should have stayed at home , the war wasn't that wrong after all .Russians learned that long go . Off you go to Moscow with your placard , stand at the kremlin and report back. You might find the locals won't be standing with you

• Advertisement

You skipped over my repeated and laboured attempts to hammer home points about personal risk, adversity and so forth then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

They're also Russians that are in those second and third lines. The Russian army are brutal with conscripts in normal times not to mind now This is nothing new for them just keeping the better trained soldiers alive longer. Soledar is lost to Russia for now anyway after Ukraine fighting there for the last 5 months

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

And you skipped over my offer of letting you go to Moscow to protest. Anyway an example of how putin had conditioned the minds of Moscow peoples, along big popular streets , large billboards of children, women and men were erected, these were supposedly ethnic Russian people murdered by Ukrainian forces in the donbass and other areas of Ukraine. These posters were hundreds of metres long . He was conditioning Russians to hate Ukrainian people so that they'd be delighted to see him saving lives. The initial invasion mainly consisted of inexperienced soldiers with his real forces kept back, why , because the inexperienced guys are disposable and that's still happening on the front line today. So if that's what he does to his soldiers, imagine what happens to those who oppose . My point is , it's more than difficult to Stand up against the kremlin at the moment especially when it's not affecting the locals yet

No, no I read it, I just flat out ignored it, same as the personalised attacks on me earlier in the war. (They didn't work then either).

This theory of "the best of his troops" is a crock of ****, the best he had got wiped out at Hostomel airport.

Again, read history, people have stood up against all types of regimes from soviets to nazi's, and many others.

If russians don't want to continue to be condemned, they ought stop supporting this war.

Yes herdquitter, they have a choice, heads they lose, tails they lose. So maybe grammatically correct in that Yes, they do have a choice in a strict dramatical sense, but the reality is that no, they don't. They receive their call up / registration letter, and then either they attend the appointment at the recruitment centre, or not. In which they will be collected, ready of not, and that's it. Now what would you do in the same circumstances?? And now please don't fall back on your old refrain that "in other Country's, men have rebelled and removed the tyrant / dictator," we are speaking here and now about Russia, and not other Country's. Because for Russians , this is their reality, and they know what happens very well, cross or antagonize Putin, then you better be prepared to pay the ultimate price, your life. Now be a hero Herdquitter, go to Russia, and start the revolution. And if you are not prepared to do this, the don't expect ordinary Russians to do it either.

PS Herdquitter, I guess that you have never seen a military team collecting able bodied men for military service, have you? Well I have, many times, and being made stand in a queue and wait my turn to have my documents checked. And let me tell you something herdquitter, you will not be giving an lip or smart answers either. You will be praying that your documents do not have any mistakes in them. And for those stupid enough to give smart answers etc. you will see very quickly what happens to them. And it's not pleasant. I remember one Russian checkpoint, where two brothers were in the queue ahead of me. One of them had been at the Vodka, and was full of bravado, and outspoken in his criticism of Putin and his military. They promptly decked him and put him in handcuffs. Then none to gently, they started to drag him across the road and into their base, hitting every pothole on the way and whacking him with their batons as they went along. Then the sober brother got involved, crying pleading and begging on his brothers behalf for his release. After some time of this, and cash changing hands, they released him, but not before giving him a bad beating to remember them by. I shudder to think what would have happened to him had they got him inside the base. And this herdquitter, is everyday life in Russia. And guess what , we all had choices that day ,even the people in the queue. But none chose to intervene.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement

Die for your country or die for your leader, its die either way. One way they have a chance for something better, or at least different. But nope, obedience rules the day. Until they choose different, russians are the problem.

If I went into your house headquitter, dragged you out and dumped you unceremoniously into the back of a prison van, would you consider that you were being obedient? Because that's what is happening to anyone who does not go voluntarily to the recruiting centre's when summoned. Come to us, or we will come for you, and believe us, if we have to do that, it will be much worse for you. But its your choice. And in that situation herdquitter, how do you see yourself reacting? Any action carried out under any kind of threat is not being obedient, it's coercion.

And presently, I cannot see any change in the system at least until Putin and his entourage goes. And neither would I blame ordinary Russians for choosing to join the military when called, or alternatively go to jail. Now in further desperation, Putin has ordered the creation of a new battalion , specifically for Russian's who refuse join the military, or to fight, or who desert. Its based on the German Penal Battalion of ww2. The Strafbataillon or penal battalion. I cant fault Russians who literally have to gun put to their heads in Russia, but Russians living outside Russia are a different matter...they could and should be protesting every single day about their opposition to Putin and his war.

On the latest Telegraph podcast on Ukraine there's a British aid worker who describes his time in Ukraine. One story was about a family who's house was invaded by russian soldiers. They shot the family. Why? Because they had Nutella in the house, a sign of wealth.

I read a story yesterday about a woman who lives in Kherson, her husband was in the army and died. The russians came to her house still looking for him despite death certificates etc. They poured boiling water on her chest, pulled out her fingernails and tortured her with electricity.

These weren't mobiks, these things happened early in the war, they weren't putrid either. They are, or hopefully were russians.

So spare me the russian victim spiel. This is the army that's comprised of russians, russians committing war crimes left right, and centre. The army the russian people crowd fund and support.

russians, with their imperialist mentality, are the problem. putrid and the mafia at the top are only a symptom.

herdquitter, I'm not trying to justify or support Russian activity, ( which I vehemently detest) neither do I need to look at telegraph or twitter or any other publication to see what an army, Russian or other wise are capable of doing when it comes to atrocities. I know what they do, because I've seen it. You claim that the Russians themselves will have to and should revolt against Putin, as other Country's have done in the past, and are currently doing in Iran, for example. So that's fine and good when it works. But the problem for me is that with Russia, I don't think that it will work and I've given my reasons why it will not work in my previous posts. It will not work in any Country where the Dictatorship is too strong, and is totally in control of all the levers of power. I quoted the Kim dynasty in North Korea as one such example, but there are others. A quick google of long lasting dictatorships will give you quite a list of dictator's who lasted for a very long time, and died of natural causes at the end, and in many cases, having survived several attempts to remove them.

Putin will only be removed if he dies (A) from natural causes, (B)The Russian Military stages a coup, (B) Collapse of the entire system, triggering mass protests throughout Russia and he is killed. Other than that, it will be business as usual. But presently, I can't see where the few ( or many ) brave men you mention will come from, so I would not be pinning my hopes too much on them as a solution. And this is not to be taken as support for Putin or his detestable murderous Regime.

Multiple times I have said russians are the problem because of their mindset, I don't see them as a solution. They could be if they wanted to... instead their choice is to support their dictators war. Which is why I condemn them.

I predict you will find, when putrid is gone, he'll be replaced by something just as bad or worse. Which the population will still support.

My solution to this war is kill more russians faster with less Ukrainian deaths then do everything to ferment a break up of the russian federation to increase the chances of a longer term peace or a less able russia.

And again, the same " Its the Russians fault, they could change it if they wanted to" argument and multiple times I've explained why that's not going to happen, because it cannot happen. In twenty years they have not been able to get rid of Putin, despite several attempts. Same as in North Korea in 78 years, the Kim family have ruled with absolute power and total control over each and every aspect of their citizens lives, from birth to death. North Koreans live or die at the whim of Kim Jong-Un. Russians pretty much the same under Putin. So no, I cannot see ordinary Russians having any control whatsoever over what Putin and his Oligarchs do, much less rise up in revolt even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

It can happen. But it won’t. And i think most understand why.

For the status quo to change many civilians would need to die fighting against Putin. And people are afraid for themselves and their family. It’s must be hard to think long term and do the “right thing” when your family is under threat.

Military coup is the only route likely to happen. And that could be a good or bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Another aspect of Russian society/ culture is the complete lack of thrust. Everybody , apparently is a spy there be it your neighbours, your ‘best friend’ (they can be coerced by threatening them or bribing them) even your family members.

so because of the above culture , it would be very hard for a small group to organise anything - AT ANY LEVEL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: I think you will have to agree to disagree over the choice of the Russian population to rise up and depose their leadership. I think all possible points, for and against, have been made. And re-emphasised.

Time to wait and see on that point.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/jO94rW4tHNs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

It sounds to me that the Ukrainian borders guards are uncooth and ill tempered. That is all I have to say about that.

Banned from other thread have discovered this thread I see.

That Wagner lad that turned up in Norway signed a four month contract for €9k a month but legged it when they renewed it for him. He should be put to work demining in Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Odelay

€9k a month?? do you honestly think he was ever going to see that money?

Well Wagner have been attracting ex Russian soldiers for the past 10 years to go around the world doing every nasty thing you can think of and this lad wasn't at the bottom of their organization so ya I think there's a good chance he would have been paid if he lived long enough.

• Advertisement

All change in recent months. Who's paying the Wagner mercenaries... Russia, with what, Vodka? I'm sure there was plenty of money up until the gas/oil contracts went up in flames. I'd say Wagner are very expensive for Russia right now. The Kremlin Accounts Payable might have their out of office on.

Advertisement