Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

That's due to the marginal pricing system. Thankfully, new auctions for renewables include a clause whereby profits get returned to the state when the likes of gas throws the system out of whack due to market volatility. All good stuff for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

dont know if this got posted already but it's a really good scheme that improves people's lives while making use of our renewable natural resources and reduces our reliance on imported energy

Yeah I agree, gas really is messing up the pricing model

Speaking of profits, some of those gas generators are making obscene amounts

Centrica forecasts near eightfold rise in earnings after energy prices soar

EPS has gone from 4p to 30p, crazy how bonkers fossil fuel markets have gone

British Gas owner Centrica has forecast an almost eightfold increase in full-year earnings despite the impact of new windfall taxes on energy companies after it benefited from soaring energy prices in 2022 following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The UK energy group said on Thursday that it expected to report adjusted earnings per share of more than 30p when it publishes its 2022 results in February.

There was a poster who said climate change was invented so taxes could be increased. That poster was a climate change denier

There are several other posters who are throwing out the whole 'I don't deny climate change, climate has always changed' which is a weasely way of denying the human influence on the currently observed warming. The evidence for this has been described as unequivocal by the IPCC. Posters who deny the human influence on the current warming are just as much climate change deniers as the poster who said it was invented so 'they' can increase taxes. It's a lazy semantic device

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Oh for gods sake you are unbelievable.

This is what’s wrong with the “green movement” in one post!

• Advertisement

Oop, the greenwashing companies won't be able to greenwash for much longer if these proposals from the EU pass

Public consultation open for 1.3GW offshore wind farm off the coast of Cork

Simply Blue Group, a developer whose headquarters are in Cork, has begun a virtual public consultation for the Emerald Offshore Wind Project, which is a proposed floating offshore wind project 35km-60km south of the Old Head of Kinsale in Co Cork.

The project envisions the transformation of the maritime landscape in the area of the Kinsale gas platform into a zone for the production of clean, renewable offshore wind energy, in support of Ireland’s need to decarbonise the economy and ensure security of energy supply.

The use of floating technologies allows these turbines to be located 35-60km offshore, in waters much deeper than would be possible for alternative bottom-fixed offshore wind turbines. The project would have a total capacity of up to 1.3 gigawatts.

Consultation link below

The issue isn't that Exxon knew. We know that they knew. The issue is that they knew, but spent decades funding Disinformation campaigns and trying to spread doubt so that action would not be taken.

If Panda are actively spreading disinformation about where their recycling goes, then they're acting in bad faith and should not be allowed to profit from those lies.

Why do you defend corporations who are deceiving you, knowingly destroying the world for future generations, paying off politicians to prevent regulations that would reduce the harm they cause, while making hundreds of Billions of dollars in profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Hang on a second, that article is an outright lie. How did wind energy "help consumers avoid paying €2bn for gas"? It's not even talking about gas customers, but electricity customers. And they paid exactly the same amount for their electricity regardless of source. It's the same as if Tesco told me they saved me two quid on Rooster potatoes because they sold me Kerr Pinks at the same price. How does anyone fall for this crap?

This gave me a chuckle

While jurisdictions like California and New York move toward banning the sale of new gasoline-powered cars, one US state wants to go in the opposite direction. Wyoming’s legislature is considering a resolution that calls for a phaseout of new electric vehicle sales by 2035. 

Whats next? Montana to ban the sale of automobiles to save the blacksmith industry maybe? lol

• Advertisement

Computer climate models have existed since the 1970s so we can go back and check how accurate they have been

You might think the climate is impossible to model accurately. How do you explain the close agreement with predictions made in those models 50 years ago, with the observed warming?

The main climate models are extremely complex and are built iteratively, as our understanding improves and we have more data that we can input into the models, run them again historically and validate how those parameters affect the outcome of the models, scientists can reduce the number of assumptions and increase the resolution of the algorithms

No mention of a lot of things 🤷‍♂️

The colour coding of the source for hydrogen production takes care of greenwashing attempts

That you assume fossil fuel companies will engage in corrupt practices speaks volumes

That being said, I don't really care who makes green hydrogen so long as it qualifies as green hydrogen. In the same vein, I have no issue with BnM's transition from a fossil fuel company to a green energy company. Another example, I have no issues with Shell investing in wind farms. Are companies not allowed to pivot their business model or something? If I follow your weird logic does that mean Ford, BMW, Volkswagen etc are not allowed to make EV's?

Right now 95% of hydrogen production is made up of black and brown, with blue being pushed as the savior by the gas companies as a way to keep consumption of gas steady i.e. use in power generation and home heating will decrease so they're hoping to use it for hydrogen production. However, as more and more renewables come on stream, surplus power will be an issue which will require storage options. Thats where green hydrogen fits in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We are a long way away from having surplus power on the scale required for consistent low emission hydrogen (it's not green at all) production.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

This is why there need to be regulations and fines for corporations who illegally under report their CO2 emissions.

What are you going on about? Your side of the debate are the ones who constantly defend the fossil fuel industry. Exxon should be severely punished for their negligence and corruption in the past, and if they continue to act in such an anti social way by lying on emissions reporting, they should be fined and sanctioned out of existence

One of the benefits of renewable energy is that we are not going to be held to ransom by these massive fossil fuel conglomorates anymore.

True, but then its not planned on happening for a long while yet. We've to get to 80% renewable generation first, then we start climbing above the 100% mark and adding the likes of hydrogen and other storage options.

Bits will happen along the way, but its a 2050 goal, not a 2023 one

What happens when I don't fit into any of those groups? Can I invent a group myself or do I need to wait to be assigned? Is there like a committee?

Don't forget the flogging and being sold into servitude

• Advertisement

The issue isn't that Exxon knew. We know that they knew. The issue is that they knew, but spent decades funding Disinformation campaigns and trying to spread doubt so that action would not be taken...

Why do you defend corporations who are deceiving you, knowingly destroying the world for future generations, paying off politicians to prevent regulations that would reduce the harm they cause, while making hundreds of Billions of dollars in profits?

I have personally never been deceived by Exxon. They supply a product that is used by billions of people, many or most of whom are aware of the implications. I burn this product every single day, and so do you.

I worry about people who continue to spread lies about climate change. They also make billions in profits. Some of their lies have been disseminated on this thread, literally today, by willing lackeys. They cause extensive psychological harm to people. They also have the potential to create real and devastating economic harm.

Climate change is quite a bind. People peddling simple solutions are ... well, simpletons. They seem to have no conception of the scale of global energy use and the extent to which our continued existence relies on it. And yet we have people wittering on about cargo bikes in Ireland as if they were remotely relevant to the issue. It's dangerous and diversionary nonsense. If every passenger car on the planet became an EV overnight, we would save about 4% of global emissions if all of the energy they used was from low emission sources.

I'm completely opposed to anyone proposing to damage our energy infrastructure, and with it our climate resilience too. I'm strongly in favour of renewables, but don't see them as a sole solution and I'm definitely against overpaying for them. I think there is no possibility of staying below 2C of warming no matter what we do* and we should be planning for how we're going to adapt. Greenies shrieking about how +2C will end the world are a major part of the problem.

(* By "we" I mean the collective global population -- nothing that Ireland does will make any difference whatsoever, another reason why its energy hara kiri is stupid).

And yet we have people wittering on about cargo bikes in Ireland as if they were remotely relevant to the issue.

Cargo bikes are a viable replacement for the car for a lot of use cases so are entirely relevant to the issue. Now that they've been added to the B2W scheme the usage will grow even faster

You can disagree, however the growth in use of them is undeniable. 5 years ago you wouldn't see one in the whole country. Now I see them a few times a week. In another few years they'll be everywhere regular bikes are. A lot of young families make great use out of them as an alternative for ferrying kids around

How many degrees of global warming will cargo bikes save?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

I guess when you lot have everybody priced out of cars we may have to resort to cargo bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

All big multinationals that are heavy users of diesel seem to be all changing to this new 'green HVO', then getting some accountant to do some balancing of the carbon books and hey presto what a great company with a great ESG score and more money from ESG investing funds.

Total absolute bollox to the highest degree, and the greens I'll lap it up and back it to the hilt like they done with the more efficient diesel 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Tweaking the model parameters to fit the observations. You still flogging Evaluating the performance of past climate model projections, by Hausfather et al. (2019). 1970s?, indeed, the earliest software that can be considered a "climate model" dates from the early 1980s. The more interesting question being can we expect such a tweaked model to have predictive power, in particular regarding the future? The answer is most definitely not.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

First of all, the first computerised climate models were built in the late 1960s by NOAA

Secondly, if historical models accurately predicted the rise in global temperatures then what more proof is needed that they were accurate and able to predict climate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

If cargo bikes replaced all 1.5 billion passenger cars in the world you would return CO2 emissions to approximately 2010 levels. If you replaced them with EVs you'd get back to 2018 levels. Either scenario would save zero degrees of warming. The latter would use 150 years worth of current global lithium production, so I guess the cargo bikes have something going for them.

Stick a carbon-sequestering wicker basket on each bike and you could save the equivalent of 10% of Ireland's emissions (which shows how paltry our emissions are in the grand scheme). Come to think of it, I remember from my distant past in the Civil Service we used to have a special PRSI class solely for male outworker basket weavers (not a joke). Ireland could become a global leader by bringing them back. (Mind you, their numbers peaked at 20 in the 1980s. I presume the whole thing was a brown-envelope scheme for some politician, resulting in the administration of an entire new PRSI class. So... sounds like just the sort of thing the Greens would back).

Advertisement