Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power cuts

Options
  • 22-11-2022 9:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A long one tonight in Lusk, preceded by at four if not more flickers before 5:30pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks like an outage around Lusk took out a big chunk of the area

Due to a fault rather than any lack of generation power

ESB estimated restore around 23.30 from the last update

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Lusk has always been the same.I grew up there in the 80s/90s, my mother had candles and torches in the house as standard for the regular power cuts.

It never really got sorted and then they started building hundreds of houses there, so I can imagine that did not help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gone again now.

Post edited by The Black Oil on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭GIMP

Its a complete pox, I was working for home last night and everything went down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You in Lusk too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is where domestic microgeneration and UPS (uninteruptable power supply) is key. I work from home and cannot have power outages. We have solar and 20kWh of 48v batteries, along with some off grid 12v batteries as backup. Ran my home office for 8 hours during a recent outage

Off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

It's a joke at this stage. How many times in the last two months?

Off again...

No wonder the boiler clock was off this morning.

• Advertisement

Off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭surfin_shoes

It’s every few days now

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Major outage in Balbriggan up to Bettystown for 90 minutes from 17.15pm

I'm fairly sure the Ukrainian power grid is more reliable than the grid in Lusk at the moment. What an absolute joke, has there been any explanation from ESBN about the repeated faults?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm up on the north side of the town, near the border with Meath. So far I've experienced no power cuts whatsoever. I'm wondering why that might be?

Different circuits being affected, last year in Swords there was an outage that took out half of River Valley and Ridgewood. Bizarrely it didn't affect us despite being on the far side of the estate from the main substation

I think there can also be multiple power lines feeding an area at times. It can be possible that one goes down and the others can pick up some of the load but not all, leading to a patchwork of areas having power cuts and others being fine

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

I've a friend who lives in The Chanteries behind Balbriggan Golf Club who wasn't affected during last Mondays outage. Meanwhile speaking to a girl from Mornington and her electricity was off from 18.30pm until 2am the same night!

Here we go again.

Yeah it was good fun this morning, power came back around half 8 or so

Got to try out the backup power supply from the solar panels. It only runs off the battery and is just a couple of sockets, but it's enough to keep the fridge going and boil the kettle

Interesting fact, I powered on the internet router, and it worked. I would have expected it would be down given the cable goes to a switch in the ESB pillar (SIRO broadband)

They obviously have some backup power supply for the networking equipment

Advertisement