Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

On a per capita basis, we have taken double the number of Ukrainian refugees than Denmark. Yet we are almost double the distance from Ukraine. Unlike the shambles here, the Danes appreciate that you can't maintain a welfare state in the face of open borders. They have a "zero-refugee policy" and have serious politicians that actually prioritise their own people.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

irishfreeview threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

That divide between rich and poor Dubs had always existed.

I'm sure there were many in Dublin aware of these plantations of small villages in Ireland. What could they do? Doesn't mean they didn't care!

Basically these policies have come in because vast majority of the population do not care about consequences and do not think long-term. Generally speaking it's all about making money and doesn't seem to matter how or where it comes from. Many supported EU for example because they liked the idea of being bribed/selling their soul, etc. Of course they didn't label it as that, but that's what happened in effect.

When all people care about is money and short-term pleasure, this is what we end up with. Country taken over by outsiders - i.e. those who do plan and who do think long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

It is quite odd. It's almost like there is no understanding of the history of the population of Ireland. The idiots that would like to take Ireland out of the EU and lower the population moving forward are just lacking in knowledge really. No desire to actually learn about the economics of the situation either. It's easier to just blame migrants and asylum seekers. Then acting like they have some top secret information that the Irish public needs to "wake up" to, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Government do not seem to be telling the country about this wonderful "economic situation" that forces them to allow unlimited asylum seekers. I don't recall them ever laying out the economic viewpoint for the people to digest and understand. All I can recall are them citing "International Protection" and our obligations under that system.

I'm open to correction though, but that is my take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Let me guess Great Replacement meets QAnon on steroids

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

All I can recall are them citing "International Protection" and our obligations under that system.

Ireland currently has no European Union obligation to take in refugees as it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on individual proposals in the areas of freedom, security and justice through the EU Treaty of Lisbon.

Ireland has *chosen* to participate in EU relocation and resettlement schemes

The EU has never forced Ireland to take in refugees or immigrants.

In fact, Ireland has no obligation to take in refugees as, along with Denmark, it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on justice and immigration measures under the Lisbon Treaty.

Ireland voluntarily agreed to fully participate in the EU relocation and resettlement schemes.

(And before anyone tries to quibble with that - every sentence above is taken from the website of the EU Commision.)

https://ireland.representation.ec.europa.eu/news-and-events/news/ireland-voluntarily-agrees-take-part-eu-schemes-resettle-refugees-2021-02-28_en

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

The EU has never forced Ireland to take in refugees or immigrants.

I suppose if they were forced, bribed etc, they would print it in this 'factsheet' :-|

It's a strange article really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We are probably the envy of other EU members with our opt out clause but instead we take in every joker that shows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's been the Irish way to roll over on every EU policy area for the last 15 years for fear that attention would be drawn to Irish taxation policy if it failed to do so.

In the end, they came for it anyway.

It's also been jumping headlong into every EU policy initiative since Brexit - possibly as a consequence of numerous side deals required to keep the 26 on side on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

The governments policy on encouraging immigration seems to have been sold with global welfare in mind as opposed to national welfare. If it is the latter, this needs to be articulated more clearly to the public. Its unlikely that encouraging immigration, as it currently stands is not for the benefit of its existing citizens - if it were, we would be more selective and have an emphasis on skills and filling shortages. As it stands, the majority entering the country will remain reliant on government support and become active competitors with working class communities/students for jobs and housing. The differences in opinion here sometimes is whether our global humanitarian obligations take precedence over the needs of the present citizens.

This is essentially a large scale human experiment - for it to work, existing communities need to be listened to and all the more so, to working class communities where the sense of community is strong and perhaps, its greatest strength. Labelling them racist/fascist etc will only serve to strengthen that sense of community.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭creeper1

"Buried"

You asked the question and it's a good one. The line often repeated that "we have a legal and moral obligation to help desperate people" suggests that some kind of international law means Ireland cannot control it's borders.

If what was written above is true then it tantamount to deception since Ireland can legally opt out.

I mean it's beyond me why people from Georgia, Albania, Nigeria etc are entertained.

Awesome! Here's me thinking I'd have to sacrifice my Euro currency and deal with losing membership of the European Union when in fact all that is needed is a "sorry we would rather not. Thank you."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's been the Irish way to roll over on every EU policy area for the last 15 years for fear that attention would be drawn to Irish taxation policy if it failed to do so.

You mean like when the Irish government took the EU to court to give a private American company back billions?

😕

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I often wonder why do so many choose a small, obscure country on the edge of Europe to come to? Not France, UK, Spain, Germany...

They just look at a map and put the finger on a depressingly dull little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

The phrase "international obligations" has certainly been heavily pushed in the media over the last week.

It's perfect propaganda. Its partly an appeal to our collective conscience, and partly a threat to behave ourselves because some vague international higher authority is watching us.

It also frames the whole thing as part of a wider global mission that we should be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If the government wanted to increase the population, would growth of the Irish population by Irish people not be the beat option.

Between rent and childcare fees a couple both working in a lot of cases are living paycheck to paycheck.

Is it any wonder Irish people are having less kids when it's hard to support themselves.

Ban contraception and once women get married they have to leave the civil service.

Watch those babies pop out! 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Very eloquent reply that enriches the discussion no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Irish population continued to decline for periods when those policies were in place. In fact the population grew faster after the marriage ban ended in 1973 and contraception was legalised in 1979.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

contraception was legalised in 1979

You mean when you needed a prescription from a doctor to a buy a condom? 😂

It wasn't until the nearly 90s and beyond that contraception became universally available in Ireland, it coincides with us becoming richer and as a consequence more educated. Women broke away from "celibate" men telling them what they should do with their bodies. Although there is still a few around. 😕

Even now though we have one of the highest fertility rates in the EU.

• Advertisement

Affordable housing and help with the cost of childminding is what I was talking about.

I said nothing like that, you did.

You really are the most disingenuous poster I have seen on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I'm disgusted, but not surprised that no Irish media outlet has investigated bogus asylum seekers.

Even the BBC went undercover to expose Albanian drug gangs and people being told to lie to be granted asylum.

If Albanians are being recruited to the UK, then it's quite obvious that they're coming here too considering we're a soft touch.

Great we finally have someone who can explain the economics to all us uneducated idiot far rights posters.

So tell us how economically Ireland is benefitting from this policy.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

"Women broke away from "celibate" men telling them what they should do with their bodies. Although there is still a few around. 😕"

Do you think with the increase in immigration from Georgia, Albania and North Africa that number is going up or down?

We do subsidise child care, housing, children's allowance, free GP care, etc.

It's one of the reasons we have one of the highest fertility rates in the EU.

Times have changed though, women no longer want to be cattle and they certainly won't be changing that because some racists demand it. 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

women no longer want to be cattle and they certainly won't be changing that because some racists demand it.

Having children is like being an animal? It's an incredibly reductive way of looking at the literal source of life. Without birth, none of us would have got a chance to experience existence, so it's beyond me that the people who've benefited from the act, are now happy to treat it all as something trivial.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I'm not a women, and neither are you.

What I said.

women no longer want to be cattle

But you getting all offended does prove my point. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You seem to be confusing something being banned with something being available on prescription. Many things are available only on prescription. This doesn’t mean they are banned.

In any case the point stands. The population rose faster after both the lifting of the marriage ban and legalisation of contraception.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

You are confusing fertility rate with population increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Yes, because it was regarding taxation policy.

It and Brexit are the only two areas Ireland has sought to defend with any vigor in the past 10 years at EU level.

Advertisement