Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

While I'm sure it's a fantastic car the snug fit in the cabin turned me off. I sat in one once in a dealer but immediately apparent. Also had a good look around one at an ionity charger, that owner said the same thing but he said its only really him in the car. Front seat pasenger the odd time. Its the price to pay for sleek coupe styling though isn't it?

Like yourself I've spent my driving time in 5 series and Audi A6 almost exclusively and the drawbacks in space would drive me bonkers in such an expensive car.

Funny enough I downsized to a Cupra Born for my first foray into EV. By downsize, it has smaller boot and smaller footprint but the cabin is every bit as big as current 5 series or A6, probably bigger to be honest, although its definitely a step down in sector and interior quality.

Hoping the Cupra retains it's value well and I can justify moving to either i5 or A6 etron when available, etron current favourite. Very very hard to beat the executive saloon class as all rounder.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i5 due for production this year.

The sad thing is that it’s set for production in ICE, hybrid and BEV so most likely will have the same interior pitfalls as the i4, transmission tunnel FFS and tighter cabin.

I hope I’m wrong!

That 5 series looks great in that pic. I get what you're saying about the multiple variants on same platform but will still be bigger than the i4. Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but I think the A6 is more of a looker. Will come down to seeing them in person though. Then availability and of course, price!!

Nice to see a traditional BMW grille shape too.

Saw an EQE out and about for 1st time on m50 at the weekend and that's a non runner for me, very unattractive car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I don't mind the transmission tunnel but I had a 420D a few years back and it was significantly tighter and smaller on the inside than any 5 series I've had.

I'll still go for the 5 as soon as it's available.

My wife has a VW ID4 though and the space on the inside is amazing compared to mine.

EV designed from the ground up is always gonna be superior from a space perspective I guess.

What are the comparative drives like between the i4 and id4? Take power out of the equation as obviously difference there, and the id4 is already quick enough in real world situations for almost everything.

What are they like as places to just sit and be in? What's the tech comparison?

• Advertisement

Seats are actually slightly more comfortable in the ID4. Way more space in the front and double the space in the back I'd say.

Tech is vastly inferior in the VW, screens not as nice, android auto is slower and glitchy. I've a work iPhone also and that seems ok TBF with apple carplay but the tech is way behind the i4. I dislike the stalk/drive selector on the steering wheel but that's a personal preference.

Driving feels a bit wavy, soft, even my wife prefers to drive my i4 and she's not really into cars at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Made the jump to an i4 yesterday from my 202 330e. A cancelled order in Joe Duffy and the dealer chanced his arm and dropped me a mail on Wednesday.

I Should be picking it up mid next week.

Had a sleepless night last night thinking about home much I have just paid for a car :(

Anyway better be good.

Nice one, best of luck

What colour? I presume it's the 40 model?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Yes, its the i4 M40 Portimao Blue. Had blast around the back of the Airport yesterday in a demo car and was very impressed. Anyway hopefully it lives up to the hype :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'll most likely be buying the new 5 series when it's out. I agree on interior space. I've driven a 5 series for past 10 years so if i get into a 3 or 4 series i just find the cabins too tight and intolerable. It's easy to get used to extra space and luxury of a 5 + series.

• Advertisement

Shortage of 20" wheels it seems, looking at approx. 4 weeks further delay so my current expectation is for April.

Could be one year after I got my i4 e40 that I get my M50.

I also have a holiday booked for the same place I did last April when all the sh1t went down with the grill and the laserlights etc!

Beginning to feel very deja vu!

That’s the thing. The i5 (5 series EV) will be smaller inside than your current 5 series because they shoe horn in the EV components to an ICE frame.

A Model 3 for example is bigger inside than a 5 service ICE. I have both in the garden now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 davewalshucc

Not hunting for likes or “well dones”, so excuse the 2nd lot of pics (but you did ask). Back from the ceramic coat and it’s super. The previous comments spoke about it not being “EV enough” v 420D, so got it back from today and also got yer man to spray the calipers. He had the M blue ready to go. I think its a nice balance of refined 4 series/BMW but still and a little brush of blue to say, it;s electric. again, 1800€ saved v the M pack. Callipers were €200. The interior won’t last long with Fur-ball in the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Absolutely beautiful, any issues with the paintwork, prior to the coating? It’s a really stunning vehicle and a head turner for sure.

Very best of luck.

Calipers make a big difference. Subtle but noticeable. Is put rear tints on but that can depend if you have kids etc

make sure to follow the maintenance Wash advice as the chemicals in most garage car washes will strip the ceramic coating in no time.

Ya. Re: tint. Sales guy told me there was a tint but factory tint makes it v dark!! Can always get it done later. Cheers for the heads up on the coating. Spoke to Gtechniq today about what’s needed. Defo no brush or suds!

top tip to any I4 dog owners…. Rhino boot liners, custom made and removable and machine washable. Need a Uk address though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Car looks super @davewalshucc

well wear. Did you get MX valeting to do it? James has done cars for me in the past and he’s top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Nice car, but lovely Goldie too.

ya, James in MX, great to get it done. He takes great pride in his work. Reasonable enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Just received the 11/2022 OTA update. Will apply it later.

• Advertisement

Seen a lot of people in the UK get the update today so was hoping it would roll out to Ireland at the same time.

Still nothing for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

I got mines this morning, installed it earlier. I can’t see any details around the adding of additional software upgrades for adaptive cruise control or adaptive headlights. Have only looked through the app though rather than in the idrive system of the car yet.

Installing now but looks like a very minor update. Very little if any new functionality for the i4.

I’ve got option in online store now to purchase adaptive cruise control from both the mobile app and in car app.

They can go and sh*&e, not giving them 1k for it!

Seems like a missed trick that they don’t offer a free trial or cheap rate for a month in order to reel you in.

^^^Still can’t understand how that’s not part of the basic car!

Can you trial it to see if it works for you?

Doesn’t seem to be any option to trial it which seems fairly stupid from a up upsell/sales point of view.

Risky dropping €1k on it unless you knew you were motorway munching every day.

Exactly, have no intention of paying that for it. Don’t do enough long distance motorway driving to justify it or take that chance. Mostly one or at most two 2 hour trips from Meath to a limerick a month.

I won’t miss what I don’t know!

Ive a habit of wanting features once I’ve experienced them! 😂 (comfort access, sound system, matrix/laser lights, even the heated steering wheel that I was telling the dealer who the hell needs that in Ireland!)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

How much is it on the UK or .de connected drive store?

If you activated a trial in another region is it still on the car regardless of region change later?

I had a G20 connected to UK connected drive so I could use Spotify in car app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

I had to use a different account for each region.

Advertisement