Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I assume the remit is limited to the corridor between Swords and Dublin city centre and such a thing would be outside that and therefore beyond the scope. Cost is probably the other reason.

I think it would make sense to eventually extend Metrolink to the northern line but the priority now should be building what is currently planned and not lose focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

In so far as anyone votes based on climate change (which I think gets exaggerated to begin with*), I don't think anyone plans on voting for SF based on their environmental policies. Their environmental "policies" are vague lip service while simultaneously having very hard commitments to removing carbon taxes, reducing fuel costs, fewer environmental regulations etc.

If SF get in I can see ML being cancelled because it would cause sheer delight in 25 other counties where many see any development in Dublin as theft from the rest of Ireland. This would barely be cancelled out by any votes lost in Dublin given the widespread ignorance on the benefits of ML, fanned by the usual suspects like McDowell and McCarthy.

*That is, the number of people for whom climate change is a priority when voting is exaggerated, not climate change itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I wonder if they never seriously considered a Dart line spur to the airport due to capacity constraints on the Dart line.

If this is the reason, then it might explain why the ML route doesn't extend that far in a first phase. Definitely a likely extension in future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You might find the answer to that question in another question.

Why is the Luas tram system not operated by Irish Rail or Dublin Bus?

Another question - Why was the Clongriffin to Airport rail extension canned after they had built the platforms and one track laid? It was 7 km of rail over open countryside with only a few landowners affected. Or why was the Phoenix Park Tunnel been impassable to passenger traffic for 100 years but suddenly is OK?

Anyway, any answer to those questions would be better in another thread.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Off topic posts deleted.

Topic is Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

• Advertisement

A bit heavy handed Sam. This is the largest project ever in the history of Ireland and it's reasonable that people divert occasionally from 100% physical infrastructure engineering commentary.

The last day's worth of comments were not descending into anything too far off-topic. I don't appreciate all the deletions.

Post edited by brianc89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I appreciate the deletions. Some of the back and forth on here is abysmal

Look for the last few pages I have asked for posters to stay on topic to no avail.

I have given warnings about potential deletions to no avail.

Posters have the ability to open new threads on the matters they wish to post.

There is also a thread on Metrolink alternatives.

What happens is the threads veer away further off topic, until action is taken - usually a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Changes in government often bring changes in projects.

I could see Sinn Fein committing to Metrolink but promising to stall the project while they evaluate best options for continuing South or South-West. That would allow them to completely cancel it within a year, and start again from scratch.

Unfortunately, we've seen that kind of stuff before.

We already went through this before all the comments were deleted. SF have no notion to cancel MetroLink.

Their voter base is in Dublin and they're relying heavily on younger people to vote for them. Younger generations are heavily in favour of public transport investment.

• Advertisement

Apologies, didn't realise that. We will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

Sinn Fein would cancel the project in a heartbeat. People who think they would not are extremely naive. I would go as far as saying they are salivating at the chance to do it so they can say 'we saved the money on deh silly airport train to get more hospital beds!' Public transport to SF is akin to some manner of esoteric philosophy that other people partake in - but they'll add a few extra bus stops here and there I'm sure. I am actually having nightmares over SF in control public transport. Sorry if this is political as I do not mean it to be, but this being Ireland and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If any party, incl. SF, wanted to go into government in the next GE. They will have to comply with committing to the revised Climate Action Plan along with sticking with the legally binding 50% reduction in transport emissions that is contained within it.

With that logic in mind; if Metrolink was meant to be contributing a very substantial amount of reducing those emissions to achieve that target over the next 10 to 20 years. It would make absolutely no sense from within any new party in government to cancel the whole project at all.

You would probably then have to rely on other existing modes of transport to give you that reduction in emissions instead which could also be a huge challenge for any new government to overcome that obstacle.

And my argument on this matter would definitely be valid if other planned public transport projects are also slowed down due to other external factors which are currently outside of our control.

And one of those factors that we have here in our own backyard is a slow planning system.

Your comment is very political, c'mon now...

In any case, if SF are in government after the next election, they'll likely need the support of another party such as FF. So, they won't be able to do whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

Dublin Cycling Campaign have published their submission on MetroLink on their website: https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/dublin-cycling-campaign-asks-two-changes-metrolink-project

TL;DR

• Recommending approval – thanking TII for design changes
    • Requesting more cycle parking at some stations
    • Asking for increased safety requirements for HGVs used on the MetroLink project

All seems fairly reasonable. We can only hope all of the submissions on the project will be as reasonable. I can't imagine Frank McDonald's will be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't expect Frank has made a submission. His game is clickbait, not planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

will planning permission have been approved and the project underway before SF get in power? surely it'll be too late for them to stop it by then?

Election isn't due till 2025 and FFG became more popular after the recent budget gave the middle and working class a real lift. I would guess since we're one of the few developed countries still not in recession and likely to avoid recession for the foreseeable, the current lot might get even more popular. If they make serious headway on housing in the next 2 years then SF won't have a hope of winning regardless, if not it will still be a tight contest and 2 years is an age in politics so who can say. Metrolink will probably get planning permission at the end of this year or start of 2024 and most likely will have contracts signed for construction before 2025, unless its deliberately held back by government. Either way about 2 years from know we should know for certain if its happening or not

Hopefully we see the start of certain procurement processes before the end of this year, that should be the first indicator of commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well that sure is positive. I wonder is it a good idea to progress to detailed design in advance of an RO? They don't know what conditions will be attached to the RO when granted. If the detailed design is substantially complete by 6ear end a condition from abp could mean a hefty change order

It is only detailed design of advanced works. These shouldn't really change unless the route and/or stations were moved which is very unlikely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I've put some news from Eamon Ryan into the Metrolink South of Charlemont thread, just FYI.

Here:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jumpinsheep

From the recently published Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy 2022-42 document, page 236, the Metrolink project is now within the Medium Term strategy (2031 - 2036), whereas in the previously published document in Nov 2021 (NTA-GDA-Transport-Strategy-2022-42-Fin-9.11.21-WEB.pdf - page 218), Metrolink was in the 2031 - 2042 timeline band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

More delays to the already much delayed metro to Swords: https://extra.ie/2023/01/29/news/irish-news/dublin-metrolink-delayed

The article title is a sensationalist. 2032 to 36 is already assumed I thought

A fluff piece, nothing new in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Article is meaningless fluff. Please don't source your infrastructure scoops from extra.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why is there a four year window on delivery? That's half the time it takes to build the thing...

Advertisement