Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to do 'everything' to prevent evictions - McEntee

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

You don't seem to think too deeply on this.

No worries, you'd have to be a deep thinker yourself to make such a pronouncement, and I'm not seeing it..

Yeah they could get rid of the people managing the rent supplements, but then they will have to hire people to manage the properties even if they subcontract the actual servicing and maintenance of the properties.

And then you talk about regular inspections which means more inspectors.

So where exactly are the cost savings?

So what are you actually saying then? Do you think that prices in the private rental market are acceptable, normal, sustainable ..?

Also where does the council come up with all the loot to buy all these houses?

It would save money long-term if they bought properties outright rather than propping up landlords paying out 100s of 1000s in HAP, etc for years, decades.

BTW i think councils or more correctly national housing body should be building massive amounts of housing and not just for social welfare recipients either.

Exactly and I agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What type of vetting identifies whether a LL will be a good or bad business person?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Average county council rent in Dublin is around €280pm. That's the average for those in social housing in Dublin. Some pay more, some pay less. And clearly some don't pay at all.

Not all landlords exiting the market are being paid HAP. If a tenant is paying rent and not availing of HAP, then that's a direct loss there for the State right there. For example, in DunLaoighre/Rathdown, less than 5% of landlords receive HAP. Dublin City is 7.5%. Granted in other areas it's higher but there's not the savings to be made that you seem to expect. And even if you save on HAP, you now have the costs of managing the properties, maintaining the properties etc. and given that the rent will be lower, it could still be loss making vs paying the landlord HAP.

I agree with you on the regular inspection thing and yes, issues should be dealt with quickly.

And crap like the story below needs to be sorted out. No rent paid for over three years and the judge still didn't turf them out on their ear. In an ideal system, if someone doesn't fully pay their rent for three months, they should be given 4 weeks to get out or be turfed out by the Gardai. But unfortunately our law doesn't work like that. The landlord will be at a loss of much more than €80k because they'll have to do up the house if they are going to rent it again. Or they could get out of the market like many others.

Essentially this is reaching into the landlord's bank account and stealing €80k from them.

My view is simply that vetting should be done.

There are teams of people, well-paid I presume, who should be able to have meetings, consultations, etc and come up with a process.

To attempt to answer your question though, based on one landlord experience I had, I would say some psychiatric clearance would be a place to start, and go from there.

You want LL to go through psychiatric testing?

Is this a joke?

• Advertisement

Some pay more, some pay less. And clearly some don't pay at all.

If a tenant is in arrears then they should not be housed.

Not all landlords exiting the market are being paid HAP.

HAP is only one type of payment. There are a couple of others, Rent supplement is one.

Article here anyway from last year:

And even if you save on HAP, you now have the costs of managing the properties, maintaining the properties etc. and given that the rent will be lower, it could still be loss making vs paying the landlord HAP.

The idea of running a country isn't to make a profit, it's to provide services and spend wisely (in an ideal world). Not everything is about cost-saving. The idea of paying tax is, or should be, to have a better society. If people are housed, you have less stress, less crime etc in the society. Again, that's how it should work. In this shambles of country we have at the moment though, who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,982 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So vetting is done.

It shows that the father has drink-driving convictions from 20 years ago, and the family home was the scene of a domestic violence callout three years ago - but there was no conviction after it. There was missed one rent payment last year, but caught it up within 3 months. However one of the kids has special needs was excluded from school earlier this year for behaviour issues, which included fighting with other students who lived in the neighbourhood. Do they pass vetting, and so get housed, or not?

You are missing the posters point, he/she is saying property owners should be vetted before they can become LLs to see if they will be “a good business person”, not that tenants should be vetted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

In your scenario there would be no landlords left . No new ones entering . So no houses for the council to buy.

You know what's next in that scenario. Government telling private sellers who they can sell to .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

maybe if mcentee would not invite thousands of people from across the world to settle here in a few months, there would be a bigger housing stock and lower rents and people would not be struggling to pay. Just a thought.

The Temporary Protection Directive was activated by the EU, Ireland has no choice but to take Ukrainians fleeing the war. So it’s hardly a case of McEntee inviting them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Social housing rent should be taken direct from Welfare payments if the tenant is on welfare. If they are not and don't pay they should be evicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Why should a small country on the edge of Europe with no ability to accommodate have to bear such a disproportionate responsibility to house these people? We can take a few thousand but 100,000? France is only taking about 100,000 and has a population over ten times that of Ireland.

Who in their right mind seeing the extreme housing crisis/homelessness crisis/hospital bed crisis etc. would set incentives for tens of thousands of people to settle here in a short period of time?

Why are we allowing people from Albania and Georgia into our country as refugees?

Why are we letting in thousands of people into our country who lose their passport between getting off the airplane and border control?

Why are there so many single men of fighting age being let in?

Why are there so many people of obviously non-ukrainian background being let in as Ukrainian refugees?

Why are the refugees given such good financial benefits, surely a food and bed is all a refugee needs?

We are being led by either idiots or quislings.

The answer to why lies in our membership of the EU, but that does not change the fact that they weren’t invited here by Helen McEntee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And I am seeing someone that I believe doesn't have experience of the real world.

You talk about theoretical ideas that simply wouldn't work, and will cause knock on effects elsewhere.

You think the solution to cutting the amount of money spent on social housing is to buy up available for sale properties thus making it almost impossible for legitimate private buyers to trade up or even enter the market.

I can see one effect being that people simply give up and emigrate.

Oh and these are people with jobs contributing to tax revenues.

The way out of this is to build publicly owned housing.

Oh and cut the number of people that need it by cutting the shytology of o'gorman offering every dodgy character in the world a free gaff.

I am not allowed discuss …

I was not discussing "how to cut the amount of money spent on social housing". In your mind maybe that should be the topic? I'd have no objection to discussing that btw, but it's disingenous to accuse me of not providing "the solution" when it's a different topic you want addressed.

I also did not use the term "buy up available for sale properties". I would never advocate such an extreme approach.

It stands to reason that purchasing a property that is already being subsidised by social payments per month, would save long-term. It also makes sense that if a private landlord is leaving the market, that property should be purchased by the state (Whether tenants remain in situ I suppose is a separate matter and could depend on length of their tenancy and other things).

Building is of course a solution. I already mentioned I agreed with you on that. (Building costs seem to be going up though)

I'm completely against uncontrolled immigration. There should be very tight controls. There would be no housing crisis at all if this had been done, and the only way it's likely to be solved is by dramatic decrease in immigration and/or increase in emigration (of existing immigrants, or sadly of our own people).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I think you are being extremely naive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ok we agree on some things like immigration control, building public housing stock.

I do think buying existing privately held stock is a very risky path to go down.

And this is Ireland where before you know it some people are offloading housing no one wants on the state for over the odds prices.

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement