Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started Dead Cells last night. Seems okay. Like most roguelike games it seems it'll likely get much better the more and more you play, unlock permanent items, know what to look for and where to go etc. The gameplay/combat does feel incredibly simplistic so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or he decides he'll need to get 2 or 3 more seasons of the series out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Either TLOU 3 is already under way or this morning Sony has kicked down ND's door this morning demanding it be made to give the show material. Mazin said it's a finite series, won't go on forever, and will do to the game story so doubt we'll get a game of thrones scenario but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Posted in tv aswell but Similarly to Chernobyl the accompanying podcast was fairly enjoyable with a nice bit of insight from Mazin and Druckmann regarding the transition from game to TV

https://omny.fm/shows/the-last-of-us-podcast/episode-1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I think Druckmann has hinted about TLOU3 being underway so I would say it is a certain. Assuming TLOU2 is 2 seasons, If the show airs every 2 years then it will be 6 years before we get to season 3, we should have the game by then.

• Advertisement

As was pointed out before, apparently if a AAA game was to start development today, the next generation of consoles would be released before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just with reference to your last paragraph, the fact that its almost a shot for shot retelling of the game is probably a huge contributing factor as to why its being well received (at least by the gaming contingent - who would also skew to being the most vocal if they disapproved of it).

An awful lot of the time, with adaptations across mediums, they leave the showrunners or directors have 'their take' on a character or story, which ends up missing the mark of what made the original so popular. It can often come across as change, just for the sake of change, and why you end up with guff like the awful Doom film, where the only way they could work the pinky demon into it was by mutating a guy in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Tbf, if it was just fan service for the gamers, I don't think it would be getting the critical acclaim it's received. They've fairly deftly walked the tightrope on this one.

I'm probably phrasing it badly, but the world of TLOU and the story is interesting enough that its strong enough to stand on its own. Being fair to the game, its gameplay light - the actual combat and stealth is nothing remarkable, the story is what carries it, its probably as close to a perfect candidate for adaptation to a filmed medium.

I dont think its fan service as such, its simply letting a good story, be told in the way it was originally intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

IMO they have been working on it for a while. I think they would probably be able to get this one out a little faster as well seen as how all the tech is in place already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

TLOU was great, it was already a TV series in game form. So it was critical they stuck close to the beats. Any big changes to the characters would be jarring and put off the core which will be TLOU fans.

I'm always baffled when I see a writer/showrunner come out and say they didn't look at the source material. Whether that is the game or the book or comic, then you know it's going to not land with the core fanbase. If you don't connect with the core it won't get a wider audience.

TLOU (at least so far) has nailed appealing to the core. That's already tens of millions of people and now it can grow from here.

A lot of the time with video game adaptations, the studio is just taking the premise of a popular franchise for name recognition and making a film/show from it which has elements of the game but just go off on their own thing, especially when those game franchises are popular but don't really have that much of a story etc.

At least with TLOU, the reason for the adaptation is the fact the game has such a strong story to begin with, and they made sure to work with the game's director & studio to keep it close to the source material (but also add to it to let it be its own thing and translate it to TV).

I think the biggest challenge facing the show is just the "Oh, it's another zombie show" feeling many people may get from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Time was I'd have been all over the TLOU show; but my appetite is shot of zombie/plague apocalypse fiction. Between the climate seemingly already collapsing, having lived through 2 years of an actual pandemic and just being older and more aware of the brittleness of life, the genre has become singularly unappealing - and certainly not escapist given real world those anxieties.

I'm delighted to hear the formula has been finally cracked though, and.hopefully it'll open the door to other adaptations helmed by actual creative talent (and not just the level of, say, the Max Payne and the like). I remain optimistic we'll get that Bioshock TV show, or more narrative driven properties getting the nod.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kind of have no push to watch the show. It's an easy enough adaptation as the original is basically a tv show with gameplay interspersed.

Adapted as a show it's basically just another sad dad story in a world with zombies and inspired by The Road, something which is a dime a dozen. Nothing really wrong with that if it's down well as the original game showed. What made that game stand out was Joel's characterisation and how his inherent selfishness affects the people around him and his relationships with them. It would be great if the show could emulate this but on the other hand, I've already experienced that in the game.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Bill.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

One thing I don't get is the idea that 'ive already experienced it in game' - you never hear someone say that about comics or a book.

I can appreciate concerns about something not living up to the source material, but the idea that adapting to a different medium is pointless, is a harder take to get behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I would imagine things will merge in the TV/Movie/Gaming world were the game/movie/tv series are designed together. Assets shared. Actors shared. Same director etc. It'd work for certain types of games. The tech is all converging anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Talking about myself in this regard rather than a generalisation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I totally get why it's being well received, especially since video game adaptations have, as you correctly say, typically fared very poorly indeed. This is about as true to the original as you can get, minus the box-pushing puzzles and interactive shank crafting! I have no doubt there's a new audience there who will very much enjoy this now the story has been divorced from video games, and fans who will be delighted to see it adapted so faithfully.

Personally, though, I find it hard to get particularly enthralled by such a straightforward - dare I say 'easy' (not to dismiss the genuine effort of the many talented cast & crew involved) - adaptation. It's perfectly watchable and certainly interesting to see where it has been tweaked or expanded on to fit a new medium. But unlike other TV shows I'm watching where I very much look forward to seeing where it'll go from episode to episode, I think my engagement with this is more as... curiosity in seeing how it has been adapted rather than any particular excitement or emotional engagement with a story I've already played and 'watched' (since there is a lot of watching in TLOU!). This is so similar to the game - already extremely "cinematic", even to the detriment of gameplay - I also think it loses some of the appeal that you'd get with, for example, a book adaptation, where there's more of a challenge in translating the author's words to a filmed medium. Here, the music, the story, the art design and even one of the performances are straight out of the game. In that sense, it goes far beyond a typical 'one medium to another' adaptation.

Granted, that's just my own personal response, and am glad if people are having a much more engaged and excited reaction to it :) It is by no stretch a bad show - it is, on the basis of this one episode, a pretty good one! It's a damn sight better than that dire Uncharted film - hell, that couldn't even get the bloody casting right. And while I don't expect radical departures from the game based on reviews and interviews, I'm sure future episodes will further expand on some ideas / characters fleetingly present in the game and hopefully introduce a few new ones of its own, as there is some of that here already.

Yeah Microsoft and remedy tried this with Quantum break, Personally I enjoyed both the gaming parts and the tv parts which had fairly ok production values, the deviation points gave a fairly ok reason to play through at least more than once and the acting was fairly solid

Except for Aidan Gillans accent which was fairly awful, its worth checking out on gamepass as a nice little single player game.

Remedys evolution from Wake to control via Quantum Break was fairly enjoyable all the same

How long were the live action segments? I would like to play the game but would rather not have to sit through 45 minute cutscenes.

• Advertisement

Each level ended with a TV show for around half an hour that was in between the levels and based on stuff that happened. It wasn't really made to be binged. As an experiment it wasn't the worst idea.

You can skip them as well and can pick up the story from reading emails etc similar to control. Personally I enjoyed the whole experience. It was adecent game Regardless of the tv cut scenes

I'm enjoying watching TLOU with the missus. She would never sit and play/watch me play a game. So it's a way to show case why I get so into them.

But it also shows how far the medium has come that games are regularly at, or surpassing, most high quality TV shows and movies.

Yeah, definite improvement over the last video game tv show i made her watch Resident Evil on Netflix. Every 10 minutes I'd be like "this is nothing to do with the game, I swear the games are way better YOU HAVE TO BELIEVE ME!"

I started playing the Resident Evil 2 remake today, it had sat in the wrapper long enough.

It's surprising how much they could do with so little space to create a great game. When you see games now with 15km maps and RE is more compelling in essentially one building.

Now that is a Remake worthwhile. Just quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

I only played and finished it myself at Xmas for first time , one of the greatest games of all time . Onto 3 remake now about half way though it's a very good game but nothing like 2 i terms of quality .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Only played it myself couple of weeks ago. Unbelievable game. I’m going to go back in for more which I don’t do basically ever.

Layoffs happening at Gamespot/Giant Bomb.

• Advertisement

Finished the RE2 remake Leon run. Really enjoyed it bar the final boss battle. Had the same issue Callisto has where the controls are too slow for fast attacks and it became really frustrating rather than epic.

Started the Clare run now. Not sure if it's the same length. Hopefully a bit faster. But interesting to see a different story in the same timeline. I like it.

Advertisement