Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭coltmaster

That is a pretty bad take all round. Granted not everyone has the same views on tv shows/movies as me and people are allowed to have their opinions but it currently sits at 9.5 on imdb, despite the backlash of part 2 and from anecdotal evidence from friends who do not like the genre or play games, they all said it was remarkable. I thought it had some pacing issues but I knew where the story was going so I held tight. The next few episodes will be the make or break of the show. If you didn't like the first one you won't like the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to agree. Even regardless of the game, I think this episode did a great job of setting up the story, characters, the world they're in, and the dangers they'll face. After the time jump there was little action which makes sense because they were within the safe zone, but the final shot of them leaving the quarantine zone, after beating up a guard, the song playing which signifies trouble.... This was the first episode of the show, and the majority of the action was in the outbreak scene and trying to escape the city (the speed and danger of the infected clearly shows what a threat they are). The rest was paced to set up what's to come.

Also, I've heard this was originally meant to be the first two episodes, with the first episode ending when Joel dumps the kids body to be burned, but they pared it down to one larger episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m glad they didn’t end the ep with Joel burning that body. I think it’s important for as an introduction to the story that we see Joel meet Ellie and the rest of the show is set up from there.

I can understand non game players when they say they’re somewhat disoriented after the time jump. There’s FEDRA, the fireflies and new characters introduced in fairly short order. Ultimately though it’s not that important right now and I can’t imagine there being any similar issues in future episodes.

I haven't played the game and wasn't as blown away as the rest of the Internet. I think I'm a bit jaded by zombie stuff after the walking dead butchered so much of itself. The most interesting part of zombie stories is usually the beginning and that was skipped relatively quickly. The latter parts felt like a video game as they moved around. The missus said this is one I can watch on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭recyclops

Similarly to Chernobyl the accompanying podcast was fairly enjoyable with a nice bit of insight from Mazin and Druckmann regarding the transition from game to TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

I never played the game (but I'm somewhat familiar with the story) and I still thing is a fantastic first episode. It's been a good while since anything kept me so tense for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just me ....but i didn't think it was great at all ,

The black girl who was the "terrorist " acting was absolutely brutal ,

For people like me who didn't play the game have no idea how you become infected, is it airborne , is a bite, when they bite you are you dead or do you come back or what , Very little explanation as to what happens with regard to the zombies,

After all the hype i found the first 30 minutes good then it was a bit of a boring mess after the jump ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Might be controversial, but the only thing I felt was a slight let down were that the "zombies" didn't appear particularly terrifying as they seemed in the game?

They seemed to spend more time tripping over themselves. Like in the car section where they are reversing I fully expected them to get zombies jumping onto the rear of the pickup and trying to smash through the glass.

Also were the zombies biters in the game, rather than just trying to pass fungus mouth to mouth? I understand they decided to go with tendrils over spores, but I always thought the zombies were trying to rip into the humans rather than carefully passing on the infection.

Maybe I'm thinking of clickers and the standard zombies are stupid.. been years since I played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I did enjoy that. It was close enough to the game (The exact same music, Having Marlene played by the same actor as the game, the shots of dust-motes, the initial panicked flee... the foul mouth on Ellie) but different enough to be interesting to non-players.

However I can understand how this could potentially be seen as a higher-quality "Meh" to those who have not played the game and have no interest (And that's fair enough). As I mentioned previously, I think it will have a tough time separating it from lesser zombie shows such as The Walking Dead and its spinoffs etc. The anticipation has been insane and, Some down to simply going to others "Hey, did you play that TLoU thing?" " Oh my God, yeah. Amazing". And some of that is down to some seriously heavy advertising. Some of the.... hysteria?... is down to the fact that this was from a grown-up, well written and directed game. And all the articles are about "Hey, a game adaptation that worked". But for people who have no interest in the game? What's the BFD?

But for me, I keep comparing it to The Walking Dead. I watched that until about season 4 or 5. Then gave up. There was a bit where one guy (Glen?) was separated from another member. Swamped by zombies. BUT, because this was about 2 episodes into the season, you KNEW he was gonna turn up again in, like the last episode (TWD was ALL about the first 2 and last 1 episode of the season. Everything else was filler for commercials). It just went on and on and on.....

However I thought the acting and writing on this was great. I'm a big fan of Pascal anyway (He even SOUNDS like Joel) and, like most, I really only know Ramsey from Game of Thrones (Where she was comically bad-ass) and a single episode of His Dark Materials. But she NAILED Ellie (especially the foul mouth 😀). BUT I can understand if some are a bit jaded with yet another post-pandemic zombie show

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

Is this for all audiences, or aimed at those of have played the game?

Never even heard of the game to be honest.

• Advertisement

There are hints in this first episode that the fungal infection came from flour, hence why it spread so quickly but Joel, Tommy and Sarah weren't infected. They don't have pancake batter, when Sarah is in the neighbour's house the carer makes cookies but Sarah leaves before they're baked, Joel forgot to get a cake. I don't remember anything like that from the game so I think they added it to the show to try give an explanation.

With regards how you get infected, it can happen from bites. There were tendrils coming out of the infected mouth which pass on the infection, though it's also likely if the infected get hold of you they'll just kill you. Even the shot of the infected guy growing against the wall in the Outbreak zone when Joel and Tess were coming out of the sewers, that's the fungus trying to grow and spread after the guy died. That's also why they were burning the bodies of infected.

At the start of the game they were very early infected, and there were a lot of uninfected people which is why they weren't throwing themselves against Joel's car etc. We'll see some more types of infected where the infection has progressed further. But yeah their main aim is to pass the infection on, but at the same time their lack of control and rage often leads to them just killing people and the infection can still pass on through tendrils from decomposing bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

For those people who hadn't played the game and are underwhelmed by the second half of the pilot - that was all just set up really, and the proper journey that the game went on starts in the next episode. The first episode was essentially the tutorial of the game, to put it in some context. You haven't even really seen any proper infected yet(apart from the start of the outbreak, it's very different 20 years on), they've only left the quarantine zone so the real threat starts now.

And for those comparing it to The Walking Dead etc, the real heart of TLOU is the relationship between Joel and Ellie, so it's not a traditional zombie show in my mind. Them nailing that relationship here is the key, most reviews I've read said that they have, but sure we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if the infected get hold of you they'll just kill you

That wouldnt make sense in terms of the backstory. the fungus doesn't want to kill, it wants to spread.

It's for all audiences. It'll be mostly retelling the story and events from the game (some scenes are pretty closely shot-for-shot or same dialogue), but even for people who've played the game there's going to be a lot of new stuff and changes to make it suit a TV show rather than a game. So you can watch it without knowing anything about the game. It's practically the same as a book being made into a TV show.

Yeah sorry, I expanded on that in my second post where the infection can still spread by growing from your decomposing body. The aim would be to spread the infection, but due to lack of control often the physical damage to the person they attack would result in death.

It's based on an infection which mostly affects ants, where at some stage it'll eventually try to direct the ant to a high space and grow out of it in order to spread infecting spores further. In the show though they're just going with tendrils rather than airborne spores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Obviously not everyone has the same tastes but even friends who haven't played the game enjoyed that first episode.

It's the first episode, some people on this thread think it should all be wrapped up and finished now 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's for all audiences. It's basically a REMAKE of the game as opposed to a continuation.

You weren't paying attention. There's literally a poster showing bite locations and incubation times, and the mechanism is explained in that 60's show intro. And the worst thing is that this is not too far removed from reality, there are actual viruses and fungi that affect behavior

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior-altering_parasite

I was i seen the poster when the brought the kid in , but if its just bites how did the neighbour have it ,it must be airborne ? If it is why doesn't everyone have it ?

Do dead people come back ? If your bite is one thing but the women next door was eating the lady on the ground in the kitchen, does she turn or just die ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I thought it was simply magnificent. The quality of acting was largely top drawer and it was a humdinger of an opener. I was impressed with the amount of story set-up they were able to get through in the first 80 minutes without it feeling laboured or too high-level. I don't think the episode was particularly slow at all but I suggest those who think it was slow have a bit of patience as the story needed that world-building to fully encapsulate the mindset of the major characters shown so far (and those to come).

The opening scene with John Hannah was a brilliant choice to provide some lore. Pascal is a brilliant Joel so far and his descent into brutality was well told (and assumedly will continue). Bella Ramsey was excellent too and is a worthy Ellie. I'm looking forward to seeing how the clickers and the more significantly affected are portrayed.

Sitting there with my other half who has zilch interest in video games, it was a joy to see the rollercoaster (albeit one with few 'highs') that it brought her on from her devastation at the incident with Sarah to her shock at some of the later brutality. She adored it too and had her gripped.

I think all but one of my friends absolutely loved it and the one that didn't has always had some condescension towards video games so it was to be expected.

It's such a treat to have some event television of such high quality. Roll on the next 8 weeks.

As I said in a previous post (though I admit, it's not something I picked up on myself by watching and is instead something I've seen mentioned elsewhere), it likely spread through infected food, probably flour. That's where the initial infections came from, including the old neighbour (but there were a few references to Sarah, Joel, Tommy not eating anything with flour in it at least that day which is why they weren't infected). The infected are technically still alive as the infection is keeping their body alive as a host, but they're completely controlled by the infection/fungus. Infected people can infect others through bites (eg. the tendrils that came out from infected people's mouths), and once someone is infected they eventually turn within about 24 hours.

If someone infected dies, the fungus grows out of their decomposing body and there are tendrils from it that can still infect people if it touches you.

It's why Ellie is so important. At the end of the episode she tests positive as being infected, but shows the bitemark on her arm and says she was bitten three weeks ago. Hence why Marlene's group were keeping her chained up and testing that she still knew how to count etc. They were waiting for her to turn but she didn't, so she appears to be immune.

Didn't the daughter wake up and make pancakes for herself & Joel ? They would surely be made from flour

We can assume that, being a fungi, eventually grows to completely replace and kill the host and grow out of it and produce spores that can spread the infection airborne, but in a limited area, and only from a dead host, like the one in the basement.

The initial jump might have been from a dead insect, something like this:

They were going to make pancakes but were out of pancake batter, so they had eggs instead. The neighbours in the morning offer Joel something but he claims to be on the Atkins diet (edit: just rewatched that scene and the male neighbour is feeding the disabled woman 'biscuits' (ie. American version of scones or whatever) and offers Joel some but he says no). Sarah leaves the neighbours' before eating the cookies the carer was making. Joel forgets to pick up a birthday cake.

There may be others, or it may be nonsense. I'm not sure. It's definitely not something I picked up on while watching. But looking back, there are definitely a few likely intentional references to Joel & Sarah not eating things with flour.

No, they didnt have any pancake mix. they made a point of saying that. she made eggs instead i think.

There are no spores in the TV show. there were in the game and people wore gasmasks. They took out the spores as characters wearing gaskmasks all the time makes for bad TV. they were replaced with tendrils instead. when they came across the dead body stuck to the wall you could see the tendrils.

See it doesn't make sense because the zombies where literally eating people ,

If the Fiugi is in control & trying to spread surely they should just bite you an leave you be, but the zombie where on the ground eating people , if your dead the fungi can live in you can it ? like they don't get back up like TWD zombies,

i think your right , way to much of a coincided for all them other things to be mentioned ,

• Advertisement

Well there are mind altering infections that 100% kill the host, e.g rabies. Or fungi parasites like this one in the show who again kill the host 100%. The parasite doesn't have a mind of its own, it doesn't think ahead, it's just an evolutionary thing.

Advertisement