Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VAR

• 26-10-2022 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Will VAR ever be removed from professional game ?

It was brought in to better officiating , but seams to be taking the emotion/magic out of goals - every goal now in the professional game you have to wait the dreaded 2 minutes, football had its faults before but was preferable to what we have now . any chance it will go ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think it was better before.

The delays can be irritating but as time goes by they should get better at dealing with it. I'm interested to see how it fairs in the World Cup. I seem to recall it was pretty good at the recent international tournaments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's exceedingly difficult to row back on changes once they are implemented but tbh the technology is sound, its the implementation / interpretation that's the issue.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

It's a positive step. It just needs to be used correctly, but even when it is, people give out.

I'd rather wait two minutes for a goal/disallowed than go home feeling aggrieved that my team has lost to a very obvious error that VAR would have caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I do agree it should be used correctly - but the waiting has removed some of the magic of scoring a goal - knowing you have to wait, maybe 3 minutes for verification from the science , wasnt perfect before, but i preffered it.

Does work better in tennis, so maybe in time it will get better and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It's been a disaster imo. Has ruined the game, completely taken the emotion out of it. And mistakes are still being made, they're just taking longer. Bin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If it's called VAR and then allowed you get to celebrate twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

In YOUR opinion mistakes are still being made.

It's the opinion of qualified fifa referees, both on the pitch and in the var studio, that stand now. They should know the rules and have the technology to make the right calls in 99% of all cases now.

So you don't think mistakes have been made with VAR? VAR is now in its 4th season in the PL and it's not working great (imo). How long should we give it? Just let refs ref.

Thankfully I can't ever see it being introduced in LOI, we'd be there all night....

Yes some mistakes are being made with var, but very few.

Can you name 1 high profile decision it got wrong?

What is happening often is that pundits are brainwashing the fans watching on TV into thinking they are the knowledge, and that they are right. Then, just like in the spurs decision last night, they have to back down and admit that the correct decision was actually made. But it doesn't stop them moaning about it, and it spreading on social media that var isn't working. It works is nearly all cases, and correct decisions are being awarded, offline goals being ruled out, etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

In Serie A, Juventus had a valid "winner" ruled out against Salernitana. With Juve currently outside the European places by 2 points, they could be coming back to this having been a massive error by VAR.

Personally, I am fan of VAR, as I see it as an improvement on what existed previously.

Leeds United arguably lost a league title in 1971 because there was no VAR back then. If the rules that existed then were followed, a VAR intervention would have seen them not concede a critical goal to WBA. Leeds lost the title by a point that season (2 for a win). Plus, there is that enduring image of Thierry "le cheat" Henry up there as another prime example.

VAR is good - the application of VAR, however, is frustrating.

• Advertisement

Even PGMOL have admitted mistakes have been made.

Referees’ body in effect admits controversial VAR decisions were wrong | Video assistant referees (VARs) | The Guardian

The West Ham v Chelsea one in particular was horrendous.

It's the inconsistencies as much as the mistakes that are annoying. One refs view (or VAR ref) on handball can be different from another's.

As I said I'm not a fan of the system, and it hasn't worked well enough for me to change that view.

I see VAR as an outcome of Sky, in both its coverage of live games and in-depth reporting on other games.

Suddenly football was in a place where live games could be analysed left, right and centre, from all angles, plus, all in slow motion as well.

The need for entertainment/controversy saw them highlighting refereeing mistakes, especially around incorrect offside decisions, goals, etc.

Teams then started realising that being on the wrong ends of such decisions was costing them points, positions in the table, and worse, potentially relegation, so football had to be seen to try and fix this gap.

Maybe I'm talking crap, I have before, but that's how I see that it all came about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’m not sure if we could expect absolute consistency from VAR - each referee will have his own interpretation of the rules on a minute level. We already know some referees will let more away than others. No issue there.

But having no insight into how they make their decisions is the maddening part. Referees at the top level should be able to talk through decisions while mic’d up. I am disallowing the goal because of x y or z, or my initial call stands because I see nothing significant in the video to change it. Also having video referees make on field decisions shouldn’t happen. They should be there to discuss with the referee but all decisions should lie with the on field ref(excluding offside as there is a technology element to that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, the massive Everton Man City handball one last season too, which ultimately decided the winner of the league. PGMOL publicly apologised for it after.

Still not sure how I feel on VAR, but they do get more right than they get wrong in fairness…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

But now its goes from the interpretation of the ref on the field, to the interpretation of a ref in an office...

it still comes down to an individuals interpretation of the Laws of the games, and all the numerous changes.

Ref on the field should be told, "you missed something there , go to the screen and have a second look."

Goes to monitior, "yes, youre right, that was a free kick" ... "No, i dont think so, im happy with my original decision".

Ref on the field should make all the calls.

HANDBALL:

Just make it a clear decision of is it "Ball to hand - OR Hand to Ball" it was always the easier way to ref it.

None of this making body bigger, body shadow, unnatural position bullsh1t....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It's not even about the decisions, the delay or the "going to check the screen" theatre anymore. Fans are now already celebrating if he goes over...

It's the idea that as long as decisions are 'correct' it's ok, the changing of the handball law to suit VAR because it can't judge intent either, the late offside flag...

It's as bad as we all knew it would be for the reasons we knew it would be.

More controversial decisions, even with VAR, in the Madrid Celtic game.

Madrids 2nd penalty was blasted by the forward, and it was heading out for a throw-in, it was that far off target. But it hit a celtic players arm about 12 inches away. At full speed. It was definitely totally accidental, and ball to arm.

Ref went over to review it, and still gave a pen.

So it simply looks like ANY ball and arm contact now in the box is a penalty. No debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The idiots who introduced VAR, and the fools who defend it even now, simply do not understand what is actually important in the sport of football.

Oh exalted one, do share your wisdom with us mere mortals. You cannot leave such a delightfully condescending post unfinished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

That didnt take long ...................... 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement

VAR - not interfering with play!

The amount of crying about this one incident is unbelievable. You'd swear it was after directly resulting in United winning the quadruple. The biggest laugh is that its not even city fans doing the crying.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think your missing the bigger picture here,

Nobody cares who exactly where involved in the game forget about City & United here , the issues is in one the biggest games in the football calendar the official have the use of VAR & still manage to get something the so wrong its something quite worrying ,

Its showed a real lack of understanding of the game from those who are supposed to be in charge of the rules,

There seemed to be less controversy before VAR.

If it involved Leicester and Forest there'd be 10 posts about it, you know it and I know it. I'm not debating the fact the rules are too open to interpretation but the level of outrage about it in here is purely down to United being the beneficiary. To state or even imply differently is disingenuous in the extreme.

Because Leicester & Forrest is not a big game ,

If City opened the scoring with that goal there'd be the same out cry ,

If it was Liverpool v City it would be the same as it is, If it was Chelsea v United it would be the same as it is

You view is the one that is bias you said "You'd swear it was after directly resulting in United winning the quadruple" You seem to have completely forgot that it gave Arsenal an 8 point lead at the top of the table , Arsenal are the biggest beneficiary's from it not United ,

You do realise most neutral fans want Arsenal to finish ahead of City & there fore wanted a United win on Saturday

The outrage is really directed at how obvious it is now that the officials of the game have no understanding of the game ,

Right, so if Leicester were playing City at the weekend and got the same result under the same circumstances, the debate would still be raging 4 days later, gotcha. 😉

And the professional, paid officials have no understanding of the game and a bunch of lads on Boards.ie understand the rules better, gotcha. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

No interpretation of the offside law should have allowed Salah’s goal v Wolves or Fernandes’ goal v City. Salah and Rashford, both offside when ball played and both very clearly affected how the defenders reacted. The governing bodies are tieing themselves up in knots.

Its a derby with two of the top teams in the country of course that gets more chat around it ,

Its not just boards though is it, Ex refs , ex player & current ones ,ex mangers & current ones all had the same opinion that its was offside,

• Advertisement

Same day 2 hours later & Trent is called offside when he doesn't touch the ball nor interfering nor in a goal scoring position , The officals have no idea of the rules as a whole just depends who's in charge on the day

https://twitter.com/Kegz96/status/1614283926310383616?t=JoODLADF77MAsTnv5MfSaA&s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Should just go back to the old offside law, it would cut almost everything out, if any attacking player is closer to the goal line than the 2nd last defender then it is offside, would make it more black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I don’t know why they’ve over complicated the interference bit. Players who know they’re offside when a ball is played to them have stopped and raised their hand to allow play to continue for ages and it works well.

This new interpretation allows an offside player to act onside which is unfair to the opposing team.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

VAR didn't intervene when walker deliberately kicked someone either. That was a clearer issue, yet noone is getting pissy about that

Both linesmen called offside..both refs agreed..one was referred to var because a goal was scores. VAR doesn't and can't intervene for the Trent situation, so youre not actually comparing like for like.

Even so that, what your saying is in both matches the ref & linesman both made the same call ,

So is it the ref's & linesmen who don't know the rules or the team on VAR ?

He didn't kick anyone , he tripped Malacia who deliberately ran across his running line ,In fact it was the same way Casemiro tripped Cancelo , Ref made the right call on both to just play on ,

The ref done a brilliant the weekend to be fair to him, you can't fault him for either side , The big cal lwas form VAR,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The bit I find interesting is that England seem to have struggled more than UEFA to implement VAR. Is there some institutional resistance at play in the FA specifically? How can they struggle in dramatic ways UEFA and FIFA do not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whether it was the right call or the wrong call is completely subjective, which is why you will hear perfectly valid arguments for both sides.

Which comes back to the white elephant that is VAR. Subjective decisions have remained subjective no matter the technology so what exactly have we gained? We haven't removed the controversy, we haven't made the fans happier, we haven't made the players happier, we haven't made it any easier for the officials. There are plenty of tangible and obvious disadvantages to the use of VAR so only one question remains, why the **** is it being used?

"While they were wondering if they could, they never wondered if they should". Its embarrassing how people can't see the wood for the trees when it comes to VAR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They’re very obviously using it wrong in the FA. UEFA or FIFA would never have overruled an on field decision in that scenario.

He did kick him. There was an incidental trip. But then he He swung his leg out after the ball was played and kicked him.

It was commented on as him being frustrated

And linesmen put up the flags incorrectly all the time, and now often don't put it up when they should.

Attempting to make then out as incompetent as you did earlier is just not correct

• Advertisement

He clear as day trips him up ,Walker plays the ball & looks to make a run & Malaica purposely runs across him so walker trips him, nothing in it at all very similar to the Casemiro trip in Cancelo I the box where Cancelo ran across him ,

https://twitter.com/8Flavs/status/1614247651784130561?t=e9JkmNOZa5Z6Coh10MXxEg&s=19

What that is is walker sticking his leg in to kick/trip malacia, his leg comes out from his body that is a kicking/trip. Nothing with you is ever in good faith so Ill leave you to believe what you want.

It's not the same as the casimero one at all

This is the same, for me, as the Rashford incident. For Akanji, making a football decision because of the position of an opponent, read Toti. For Rashford, Salah. As someone above said, the rule is s**t. If Wolves don't get through tonight, they won't be happy. Though an away trip to Brighton isn't a fantastic reward, unless of course, Chelsea have bought most of their squad before the end of the month.

He clearly trips him you can see it in the video, Malacia decided to run into him so he trips him up ,

DO you really think that's a red card for Walker is that what your saying because if you don't think its a red card there is nothing VAR can do , ?

I never ever ever said it was a red card. It should have been a free kick though.

Malacia does what happens hundreds of times a match. Walker reacts by fouling him.

When you see de bruyne getting penos for engineering contact and then city players doing that, its not a question of what's wrong with VAR.

You said "VAR didn't intervene when walker deliberately kicked someone either" it can't unless its a red card or penalty offence & it was clearly neither so there's your answer,

It occured in the man City penalty area. It could've been reviewed for such. Keep digging. Find a freeze frame. Onto the ignore list

eh no it didn't they trip happened when they both stepped out of the area, , i'm sure VAR had a quick look there was nothing to say they didn't ,

The foul is in the box. The landing is outside the box. You've a poor grasp of gravity or something.

Do one of your moronic freeze frames and you'll see where the foul is

Well if you are correct once again it shows the officials are making big mistake after big mistake which was the whole point of the debate,

• Advertisement
Advertisement