Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Bad an all as we are at the moment, I really really hope we don’t become another sports-washing venture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Qatari investment is set to arrive on Liverpool soils in the recent future,

In reality when the chips are down no one wants the club sold to Qatari investors, even if they give klopp 1B to rebuild

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

If that's trus a poxy weekend just finished even worse.

I will admit though I don't know what the solution is because clubs no longer go for 300 million. Only a few owners can afford 3 billion plus but we know more or less what that means. Horrible, the taught of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How does a professional sports writer start their article with a sentence featuring "recent future", without it being related to some sci-fi alternative timeline concept...?

On the news itself, blegh.

Ha I noticed that, I was like '' recent future'' how does that make sense

Real Madrid not doing well at the moment either, outplayed by Barcelona at the weekend to lose their cup final, lost last week to Villereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That game yesterday is the Spanish charity shield I would not pay attention to it don't be building up your hopes

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

It's not just that game though. Real haven't played well since the world cup. Not as much of a car crash as us, but enough to give a glimmer of hope if we can find some form over the next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

They are still comfortably in the top 4, still in the title race and will be very strong favourites against us. The only slight hope we have is if they are complacent against us ( which they might be as there's a good chance we'll be in the bottom half of the table by then) and we raise our game like we did against Man City earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Salah meeting the head of PSG

Possible transfer or they are the ones looking to buy the club

Makes sense for both to be honest, he's the biggest Muslim sports star in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its not the worst of them Arab states but I'm a bit sick still that the club is going to end up in the hands of them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What would be the Table of Worst Arab States that could take over the club be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Bring them on and buy us out and unlock funds to compete with the big spenders, real and barca were supposedly broke but can still buy any player they want, Chelsea have spent €450 million in last 6 months, where is FFP there and city and Newcastle and psg can outbid anyone with unlimited funds so we can't beat them so just join them

Saudi's but they already have newcastle so its not a goer thankfully.

If FSG sell to the Qataris or similar, will people's few of them as good owners change? They have in the main been very good owners, but, I think if they sell to the likes of the Qataris, they will leave on a very sour note.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

One thing's for sure, an Arab takeover of Liverpool will weed out the "fans" from the actual Liverpool supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm sure most fans will be fine when we are playing exciting football with exciting players and competing for trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

How do you mean?

That “real” Liverpool fans will be delighted with the takeover?

Or that “real” Liverpool fans will do as they always have and protest against upper class rich regimes who don’t really care about social class issues or workers rights that Liverpudlians have always prided themselves on, and one of the main reasons they sing anti-Crown and anti-establishment songs?

Second one.

It’s fine for anyone to still be a fan of the club, but I’d consider a supporter a completely different term and they stand for a bit more than just winning trophies.

Wasn’t my intention to be antagonistic towards anyone with affection for the club. I’m just saying there are different levels to it as you’ve perfectly alluded to ratracer.

What's the difference between "fans" and actual Liverpool supporters and how will an Arab takeover weed them out?

Also, it’s pretty much a given that the next owners’ money won’t be as clean as FSG’s was, so it’s really more about hoping for the least worst option, morally speaking.

The Qatari state is well down there, whereas a private non-government funded Qatari owner (if such a thing exists) would be quite a bit more tolerable.

The likes of the Saudi regime buying the club as in Newcastle’s case would cause me to instantly lose all affection for the club, for example. That one obviously isn’t a runner, thankfully, but there are others I wouldn’t want to support as owners as well.

The club won’t miss those who turn their backs anyway, because they’ll make so many more global fans by splashing the cash. That’s the sad reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It is sadly the way top level football is going though. The Premier League have been welcoming them with open arms for years. You now need to be owned by multi billionaires or an oil state to compete for the best players and sustained success. I thought the arse would fall out of it money wise by now but that's not the case. The obscene amounts of money floating around football is here to stay for a while it seems.

I think the majority of fans will tolerate it even if they are not entirely happy with it. Realistically who else can buy us? I also feel if fans are bothered that much about it they would have stopped following and watching the Premier League when the sportswashing first started. If fans felt that strongly about their principles they would have stopped watching the Premier League product full stop, a greedy body that has welcomed the oil money with open arms. Some fans may stop watching if it happens their club. Don't think it gives them the right though to take the moral high ground and label themselves as some sort of superior type of supporter that has moral principles. As I said if their convictions were that strong they would have stopped watching the Premier League years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

Or stopped watching world cups,champions league etc.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Does it matter, whichever one buys us will be the worst... just like our fans

You would think in a sale, that the sellers would have the upper hands, to dictate the conditions of the sale. This is Liverpool, not Newcastle, protecting the principles, and ethics of the club are vital, so maybe a Board of Trustees is needed in this sale, where their voice is the fans voice, the clubs voice.

Look what happened to Chelsea, up there at the start of the season, won a CL, and some clueless owner sacks the manager, and then instantly acts the way United have for several years, looking for a quick fix, throwing money around at anyone who will take it, and getting no where fast. That Felix signing is a weird one, throwing 20m down the drain to have a player for a few lousy games.

“At Dortmund, it was clear when I left, I said ‘something has to change here’. It is a different situation,” he said.

“Either the manager’s position changes or a lot of other things change. So, as far as I am concerned unless someone tells me I will not go.

“So that means maybe there is a point where we have to change other stuff. We will see that, but that is something for the future. Like summer or whatever. Not now.

“I have space and time to think about it, we have to play better football now.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Pep at City kept it fresh, he has sold so many players, first teamers, at 25m - 55m price range , great players.

Sterling, Jesus, Ferran Torres, Sane, Danilo, Zinchenko, Iheanancho, Douglas Luis, Otamendi,

Klopp at Liverpool sold, reluctantly, Couthino, and Mane, and then a host young players who were never in the first team, you can see why City always look fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

City always look fresh because they have a bottomless wallet. Easy to look fresh when playing with zero limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

So true a lot of Pep signings are 50 million or more squad player that don't have to work out,

The likes of Phillips, Grelish, Ake, Alveraz ,Akjani , Klopp just can't compete with that why a few injuries and we are screwed ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The likes of Phillips, Ajanje, Grealish, Mahrez, Alvarez were mainly bought so that nobody else could buy them

If by someone miracle we are bought by the summer id like to se the following

Out :

Milner.Naby,Ox,Gomez ,Jones ,Kelleher ,Adrian , Phillips

In

Bellingham , Nunes, CB, RB , a number 6 ,Back up GK ,

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

If we are not sold I would not be surprised to see offers considered for Allison and promote kelleher, Allison would command a higher fee to help with the rebuild. Not ideal but kelleher needs to go for himself he's too good to be a backup I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Am I the only one who doesn't quite get the Neves links if they're true? I don't know what he adds to our current midfield, we are seriously lacking in energy and pace and he doesn't have much of either. He's a very old school centre mid!

I always thought we should of sold a key player at the top of market to continue to invest in the squad like the Coutinho sale. If we can't constantly refresh the squad like City and keep our key players we should of been open to offers.

• Advertisement

A huge misconception that will be realised when he leaves, Kelleher is a poor goal keeper nobody can change my mind on that , He's good on the ball , good at saving penalties , decent one on ones but his shot stopping is well well below par ,

Conversation we can come back to when he leaves and plays regularly ,his weakness is hugely protected by playing for us & his strengths are on display but when he leaves that will flip ,

i posted that yesterday or the day before, literally what you have said,

His biggest weakness is his inability to get around the park & that that is exact thing we need right now ,Strange link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

It was reported in March/April last year that QSI were looking to sell 25-40% of PSG. That was denied at the time but the reports resurfaced in the same time frame that FSG announced that they were looking for investment/new owners for Liverpool.

In 2010/11 there was heavy speculation that QSI bought PSG in order to secure Platini's vote for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup. The €100M the club cost the sovereign wealth fund was a drop in the ocean. If they were to sell the club now there would be a tidy profit even without owning the stadium. It's interesting that the tweet mentions that the PSG and Qatar project will end in 2024, that has been speculated about before because the lucrative state sponsorship contracts run out then.

If FSG are looking to sell Liverpool and the Qataris are looking to sell PSG, I wonder could some sort of swap of ownerships be in the works. FSG don't wish to invest the kind of money required to compete with the sovereign wealth funded clubs in the Premier League. The prospect of taking ownership of PSG might be to their liking. The Qataris would be getting a club with a strong pedigree, a manager with an impressive record of overachieving with limited resources and Mo Salah.

Personally I would find it very hard to stomach the sale of the club to any sovereign wealth fund. I'm sure the vast majority of fans wouldn't have a problem with it especially if the new owners were bringing Mbappe with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Liverpool at 7/4 to finish top 4 must be one of the worst bets of all time shocking price

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Re yourdeadwright and Kelleher-I 100% agree with this. Kelleher is not particularly bad I don’t think he is the best no.2 in the league. At least not yet. I don’t really remember him ever making a save at the standard Allison is capable of pulling off.

i would even say he isn’t all that good at saving penalties either! He is very very good in the ball which is important these days.

Overall he is just grand if you ask me

Of course he's not but on the same note of course our management team will big him up & say he is means more cash when he leaves & more confidence when he plays,

Even without Allison he would never be good enough to be our number 1 being a lad form Cork skews peoples few of his abilities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Do you think we will see much changes tonight?

Does not look like he can change it up much without fielding a seriously weakened side.

Probably be the same team as against Brighton with only Darwin for Ox if he is fit?

I reckon Tsimkas, Gomez,Elliot ,Naby & Carvlaho will all start maybe even Milner,

Joel,Robbo ,Hendo ,Thagio , Gakpo all rested ,

I'd actually like to see Kelleher play! But not sure if that will happen now after Klopp's comments last week.

If Burnley get promoted, he would be a good purchase for them. PL experience, will suit their new playing style under Kompany with his ability on the ball and passing out from the back. He's a good keeper. We won't know if PL is his full time level until he plays it full time. I think he will be fine in the PL.

Is there a hidden message behind this leaked 23/24 home kit?

(full disclosure I don't believe the rumours and this is clearly taking the piss!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Am I right in saying he was late enough to the goalkeeping lark, like 15 or something before he concentrated on goals?

Always strikes me as a good footballer playing in goals rather than a good natural goalkeeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement