Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving with kids about to start primary school

Options
  • 17-01-2023 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

We are about to put our place in Dublin 8 up for sale, with the plan of buying a bigger place in north Kildare, probably Maynooth.

Issue is we have a daughter who will be starting school in September (one of the main reasons we want to move now before she starts). We have applied to the primary schools in Maynooth and other areas around there but it looks like the best we'll get is waiting list. We should have no problem getting her into one of the local schools where we currently are in Dublin.

Is it a massive gamble moving house to an area and hoping to get the call for a spot in the local school? Is it the norm that they would make a space available in this situation or is it just tough luck if she doesn't get in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not sure how th e system works but do they give places to thse actually already resident in the area? And can they leave a child with no school place?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

I don't think she can be left without a place generally, I'd just be worried that she wouldn't be offered a place locally and we would have a big drive to a school in a different area every day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

In my experience there tends to be 1 or 2 kids leaving any primary class in any year as parents return home abroad, so in a large school you are likely to get a space close by relatively quickly. It's a risk but that is my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,758 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Posts encouraging stupid to illegal behaviour, and replies to same, removed

Advertisement