Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That was fantastic opening. Definitely up there with Days Gone Bye (The Walking Dead), Pilot (LOST) and Chapter 1 (Legion) as brilliant premieres that hook you right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,974 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think that they get back up eventually as the hosts are just getting deep into their 'new' hosts. The poster on the wall made reference to how long it takes to be consumed depending on where you are bitten. The 'dead' on the streets will get back up again (now being consumed by the fungi) - that's why they burn corpses in the DZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes indeed but maybe this is an evolution change that only happened in the humans. Before that it's very possible that the infection was airborne and spreading silently, which will (kind of) explain why it all went to hell all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree, but again I think it comes down to lack of control and the biting to infect causing enough injury to the person that it kills them, rather than the infected trying to eat the person.

It would be hard for the infected to know exactly where to bite, for how long, how to miss arteries, when has the infection passed through etc. And especially if people only start to show signs of infection after a few hours, it's possible the infected people are trying to make sure the infection passes on by staying on top of them or continuing to bite them. It's just pure "bite hard and long enough to try pass the infection along" with no real control. The fungi is in control, but it's also not able to properly judge things like that. For every 10 it tries to infect it's likely it'd kill 9 and only 1 would pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Very well spotted Penn! The whole infected flour thing makes a lot of sense. In the episode intro.. the John Hannah TV debate.. there's a mention of 'ergot', a fungus that grows on cereal plants. There was a famous case in France circa late 19th century where a whole village were deemed to have gone 'mad' seemingly overnight. It turned out they had eaten ergot infected rye bread from the village baker. Ergot was once used as the main ingredient for the manufacturing of LSD.

This historical case would become known as 'St. Anthonys Fire'.

And this theory would go some way to explaining why the biscuit eating old dear was 'turning' without any interaction with an infected person. Also how Joel, Tommy and Sarah avoided infection by not eating pancakes, biscuits or cake.

• Advertisement

Yeah I rewatched the John Hannah scene again to see if he mentioned anything like that. He also mentioned that the fungi doesn't pass to humans because it can't survive in a host with temperatures above 94degrees, but that if the world's climate got warmer, it may evolve to be able to do so (and the scene with John Hannah was set in the late 60's, so 30-40 years before the start of the show).

I'd also just like to add to the discussion, those opening credits are tremendous. I adore the music from the game and they've kept the same composer and main theme from the game. Hearing the main theme as well as snippets from other tracks from the game is just a joy.

Agreed. They have nailed the soundtrack and Gustavo Santaolalla's arrangements remain perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember E3 a few years ago and the Sony presentation started with him just sitting on stage with the guitar. Was fantastic. Was SO great to hear the music

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

And the fluttering of the window curtain at the start of the episode. A nice little nod to the main menu of the game.

Means nothing to non-gamers but nice to see they included it for those familiar with the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,823 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Never played the game but have always intended to based on the rave reviews I've heard for it. The opener with John Hanna hooked me instantly. I love when sci-fi or fantasy stories have logical, well reasoned explanations for the extraordinary events of the story that are grounded in real-world world things (global warming affecting the carpenter ant parasite fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis).

The pilot progressed in a way that while you could tell it was almost directly lifted from a video game tutorial (the old lady neighbour being an obvious "easy mode" intro to battling the infected followed shortly, the chase through the restaurant being a tutorial to using the movement controls,. the jumps between different primary characters etc.) it was also a great introduction to the world the story is set in.

Hopefully this continues as well as it's started!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I watched it last night and this morning on my phone. I have never played the game so no idea what it was about. It was OK but nothing special. It started of good but then gradually got more rubbish as all zombie movies and series do. The trailers were better.

I thought it was not very well editted. Like one minute it's 1968 then it's 2003 then 2023 and what happened to Jack or Tommy or whatever his name was the daughters father? I thought that could have been done a lot better. Did the bullet just miss him and go into her? How did he save her? Did he save her. Is Tess her?

Also who is this other girl that was chained up in the room? What's so special about her?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

i don't think you were paying attention. all of that is pretty clear.

The bullet grazed him. Sarah died. Tess is about his age so she cannot be Sarah. Ellie is infected but the infection doesn't affect her so she is the key to a possible cure.

You DO realise it's a series and not a movie, right?

• The 1968 timing was a bit odd but set up the premise of fungal mutation/infestation
    • The jump from 2003 to 2023 was to show how much the world, and the people changed in such a situation
    • Tommy's status may or may not be answered but is mentioned as a driving force for Joel to try to leave the "Safe Zone"
    • There was more than one bullet fired
    • Save her?
    • The other girl is named, explained why she was chained up (To stop her leaving) and what is so special about her is explained.

I tried to keep my answers as vague as possible to be spoiler-free but each of your concerns has a purpose and were already addressed or may be addressed in future episodes.

Edit: Typos

Post edited by TheIrishGrover on

One other thing about that John Hannah TV debate intro.. now I may be reading more into this than was intended!.. but it instantly reminded me of the opening of George A Romeros 'Dawn of the Dead'. Very similar intro with scientists discussing the outbreak of the 'virus'.

Would love to find out if it was an intentional reference.

That is actually a good call. Quite possibly as, not a spoiler, it was an addition for the series. Yeah, I think you were right. As was said above, was great to see "bighead" from Silicon Valley again and John Hannah. It was a bit of a necessary exposition dump but yeah, that would explain the style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny enough while much of the prologue section is straight out of the game, the tutorial bits you mentioned aren't actually tutorials in the game :) The encounter with the elderly woman is a new addition, and the interactivity in the game prologue is basically just moving your character forward - there are no mechanics to worry about. The first proper combat tutorial section IIRC doesn't take place until after the events we see in the pilot.

The opening scene in 1968 was just to give background to how a fungal infection could potentially arise and what it would do. The scenes in 2003 was the outbreak of the infection and to show how quickly it spread and devastated the world, while also showing who Joel is as well as what happened his daughter. When the guard fired, Joel tried to shield her but she was still shot and killed, and a bullet grazed Joel on his side.

The rest of the episode (and show) is set 20 years after the outbreak. Joel works in a quarantine zone taking whatever work he can get, but also acts as a smuggler getting things in and out of the quarantine zone (along with his partner, Tess). He's lost contact with his brother Tommy and is trying to track him down (as per the scene with the radio control guy). The girl, Ellie, revealed at the end of the episode that she was bitten three weeks earlier but hasn't turned, so she appears to be immune. Hence why the other group were keeping her chained up, they were waiting to see if she'd turn. That group, led by Marlene, have now hired Joel and Tess to smuggle Ellie out of the quarantine zone to another of their groups.

No offence, but this was all pretty well explained in the episode. I can understand not knowing who Marlene's group is, what caused the infection or how the infected act, stuff like that. But in terms of time jumps, the 1968 scene was before the credits to give context to how an outbreak could happen one day, then we see from the time the outbreak happened, then we see 20 years later. If there were constant flashbacks back and forth between 2023 and 2003 then it might get confusing alright.

• Advertisement

It's ok to dislike the show but these are really weird complaints.

It was 1968 to give viewers background as to what causes the infection to spread - there was no point lingering in 1968 any longer. Removing this timeline and having a character explain it in the current day would have been awful and clunky (and to be honest, more like most zombie movies and series).

It was 2003 to give viewers background as to why Joel is hurting and so cynical and brutal - there was no point lingering in 2003 any longer. Removing this timeline and having a character explain it wouldn't have had a fraction of the effect - seeing Joel's relationship with his daughter and her death as he tried to protect her is what emphasizes his pain.

It was 2023 as that is when the story is set.

On the other questions, it really seems like you weren't paying any attention. It was very clear that they both got shot but Sarah took a fatal hit and died. It was also very clear at the end of the episode what was so special about Ellie. It's also very clear that we don't know what happened to Tommy yet - that's part of the story.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Great start to the show. The casting is spot on. I like how they are expanding on the game's story without dramatically diverging from it, in many cases just filling in gaps in the story while eliminating the gamey stuff. Interesting to learn that it was originally two episodes which they merged into one. It ends at the perfect place.

It really does. If it was due to end where its been noted that Joel tosses the child's body into the fire, it would have been a really weak ending and one that may have lost a lot of viewers from the following week as the whole 'living in a new colony in a dystopian' story has been done to death; I think it was really important to show that this story takes place primarily outside this area. Even the last shot with the skyscrapers toppled in between the bad weather was brilliantly edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,230 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Always been an iffy prospect turning a video game into a movie/TV show. It rarely works to an entirely successful level, if at all. But I was pleasantly surprised by this. Although the game is very influenced by film and TV media in the first place, so it's probably a more natural revolution for it to pivot to the TV screen than it is for most computer entertainment.

Anyway, this was an extremely solid opener and reminiscent of the game in numerous places. It does well setting up the premise and doesn't labour its narrative, just in case there's people watching who never played the game. Exposition is kept to a minimum thankfully and the producers weren't going to hold the audience's hand.

Everyone's part is handled very well - I know we're only one episode in - without any showboating going on and the crucial part of Ellie was realised better that I thought it was going to be by Bella Ramsey. The standout so far though was Anna Torv as Tess, who stole the episode for me.

And for people wondering if you need to have played the game before watching, you need not worry. In fact, you're probably in a better position than someone who has played the game as you'll be coming to the story completely fresh.

Looking forward to how it all turns out.

I agree, it was done brilliantly. If they were in 2023 and they tried to shoehorn in an explanation as to what happened (despite it starting in 2003), it would be hugely clunky.

The Witcher was also quite successful until they decided to stop adapting and create their own story. Pretty much any story driven game can be turned into a series with minimal rewriting.

And yeah Anna Torv can steal any show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

If I remember right, the first tutorials were when they were still in the quarantine zone - how to detect and sneak kill the basic infected, and then the introduction of the shooting and distractions (with bottle/brick) when you encounter Robert's men. Those parts were different in the pilot, which is good tbh as it wouldn't have added much to the tv show

The infected people in The Last of Us aren't dead. They're being taken over by a form of cordyceps, which controls their functions and slowly feeds off of them until the host dies. As far as I can recall, it's both airborne and transmitted directly. Although I think the airborne risk of infection is much lower.

However, they're not zombies, in the traditional George Romeo mould, pardon the pun. Just infected people driven to pass on the infection by the controlling fungus.

I only ever played the original game for a very short period. It was far, far, too clumsy to control. I believe that it was revamped at a later stage and re-released. But by that stage I had absolutely no interest in it. I watched the first couple of episodes of the show and just noped out. Didn't grab me at all.

• Advertisement

They've all but gotten rid of the airborne element of infection, saying it would be too unwieldy for the show and in reality if it was airborne it would just be everywhere in the air and there'd be no one alive or outside without full quarantine masks/hazmat etc. It was a big thing in the game where the characters would have to mask up in certain areas, but for the show they've decided to just nix that part of it and go with infection passing from tendrils from the infected or fungal growths.

Advertisement