Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I Buy A Property For Kids Going To 3rd Level?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

This is one of the most hilariously stereotypical Boardsie posts I've seen in a while. You should tell the lads living in €1.5m redbrick mansions on Iona Rd. that they're trapped in the crustiest part of Dublin and are gonna get the heads taken off them if they venture outside of their porch vestibules without a helmet on.

The classist drivel of the rest of your post isn't really worth addressing, except to acknowledge that you probably never went to a single college session in your life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Iona Road is kind of a cheapskates Ranelagh is it not ?

Just saying.

Northsiders can get very tetchy over the brass tacks sometimes. Note to self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Indeed, Phibsborough is an absolutely great place for students to live - really thriving young community, plenty of hipster spots, overall just has that up and coming vibe that goes well with student life. Some gorgeous red brick houses too. Sure you even have the DCU campus up the road in Drumcondra which is lovely.

Sounds like The Count wants to keep their kids wrapped in cotton wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Nermal

The only foolproof way to ensure your children don't live in 'that gaff' is to live in it yourself with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Lots of recommendations here but you've not given much in the way of what you're looking to optimize for so people are coming in with their own view points based on what they would like as an idle place to live, however the alternative to you purchasing a property is that all your children have to compete for student accommodation which could easily see them living in much worse areas of Dublin then have been mentioned.

All things being equal you should look at North Dublin given that you don't know where your kids will go to college and you have Trinity, DCU, TUD as well as Maynooth are all serviced well from the North of the city. I'd hedge for good transport links over any anecdotal advice around niceness of the X,Y,Z area. The closer to the city center you get the better the options, but with obvious trade offs.

Your plan makes sense, I went to college with someone whose parents did this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Exempt if it is towards their maintenance and they are in full time education below the age of 25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree 1000%.

There is no difference between northside and Southside. Plenty of dodgy and dirty spots on Southside.

I was in Stella cinema a week ago and couldn't get over how dirty and run do Ranelagh looked.

Living the life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Seems the Count is acting like a Count in a country who nobody is too many generations from the Bog 🤔

Living the life

• Advertisement

Whatever about Drac's Northside/Southside debate, one would need to question the investment return on spending money to send a child to UCD.

Is there any point in flushing money down the toilet on a child that wasn't able to get the points to go to a better institution in the first place? The potential upside is limited to a job as a teacher, or at a stretch as a pen-pusher in the civil service.

At least in the OP's case, the first has already gotten into a decent place

Master of the Universe

And if someone wants to study Veterinary Medicine in Ireland?

2022 CAO points range of 601-625 in UCD, clearly an underachiever not worth investing in.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure it is fine for some people. The likes of UCD or Athlone IT are perfectly fine for people who live within walking distance or easy commuting distance. They serve a function to overall society. It would be better for the child to go to UCD than take up the smack etc. If these places can keep them off the streets and out of trouble that has some value in and of itself.

Education should be inclusive. I would see those types of places as being like the Special Olympics of education. Everyone gets a medal (degree) and is a winner. So they do indeed have some indirect value in society.

You'd want to be some confused OAP to get riled up by this quality of bait, at least put some effort into it, man

You are free to argue that the child would be better taking up smack than going to UCD if you want. I am free to disagree with you. I think it still has some value, along with, as I said, the likes of Athlone IT.

It's a bit off topic anyway. But no harm for the OP to take into consideration nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭monseiur

Keep it going Mr. Trump, I had a good LOL, needed after Blue Monday😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,363 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Buying a house of any type for the purposes of your kids going to college makes complete sense. Even if you only charge the other students a minimal amount, just to maintain the upkeep, you could buy now for 500k and sell again in 10 years time for that same 500k.

Better idea is if you club in with 1-4 other parents and everybody contributes 20-50% get all of your kids through college effectively for free

Master of the Universe

My point re Veterinary Medicine being that if you want to study it, you have to go to UCD. It's Ireland's leading Vet school and to my knowledge, the only place in the country which offers it as a course at that level. You can't study it anywhere else.

UCD also has a school of Medicine, which covers everything from graduate entry medicine through to masters in immediate care, sports medicines, midwifery and many other avenues in healthcare, which have lead to thousands of people becoming doctors, paramedics, nurses, professors of medicine, the list goes on.

I'm not sure what you seem to think UCD does? It's not just handing out arts degrees for being the right level of woke.

Master of the Universe

• Advertisement

I heard they relaxed the strictness of their criteria on the required level of woke. So I applaud them for that. They realised that it was discriminating against the poor students who didn't, or couldn't, understand the concept.

Woke "inception" if you will. There is nothing more woke than going full woke and realising that you now have to accept the non-woke as being woke or else you are not really woke yourself.

🤯

The Lewar

And it is not my fault that half the city has standards and the other half has chosen to ignore them?

Who the phuck spends 1.5 Mill on a gaff on the nortside, that must be some sort of a joke ?

Master of the Universe

The Stella is in Rathmines.

The village of the Damned.

Master of the Universe

It's just a nickname.

You would need to be from around the area to get it though?

Hey, Oishers, I respect you are probably a rich nortsider, but you are taking this a bit too far?

Am I cutting too close to the bone? I mean there is a reason why you seem to think that owning a redbrick is a thing? Everyone knows that prices are higher on the southside, why argue on the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Owned by Southsiders but houses a lot of Northsider refugees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Drumcondra/Phibsborough areas are perfect for students. Ignore the whole "Northside Southside" stuff, it's irrelevant and harks back to the 70's. The degree of separation is East West now. Drumcondra & Phibsborough are both close to the city, well serviced by bus and importantly everything is walkable, shops, food, cheap restaurants etc…

Students don't want to be in wealthy, car dependent suburbs with expensive cafes and food shops.

You need to consider that not everyone has your experience of training in the special forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Don't push it or I'll give you a way you won't believe.

Advertisement