Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think Leinster have been very lucky with Lancaster in terms of his willingness to not be "Head Coach" and to just get on with the rugby.

His lack of ego in that respect has been hugely important - And Cullens to be fair.

Not sure that there are many other guys out there coming off being Head coach/Director or Rugby or indeed International Head coach that would be happy/able to slot in to the environment as it is right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Can’t see either wanting to work as second fiddle to Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

You're dead on with regards to the Lancaster/Cullen dynamic. Both have worked extremely well together and parked their ego for the betterment of the province. It's highly unlikely that it'll work a second time.

Lancaster wanted a job where he could be far more hands on as a coach and leave some of the more administrative tasks to another. He got that at Leinster even if it meant a 'demotion' on paper.

I'm not sure Cullen will be at Leinster long term either. He has been signing one year extensions since 2020 I think. Maybe he'll help onboard the new head coach and step aside the following year? I hope that's not the case, but it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Saw a suggestion that IRFU performance director might be his next role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

With the world cup coming up, do Leinster need to sign a hooker first depth? With Kelleher and Sheehan out for the world cup and then the 6nations, that leaves McKee and academy player Barron. Is that enough?

With Stu leaving, it's important to note the vast improvements the squad has made during his time. I can remember the high flying days of O'Connor and Leo's 1st campaign. The fluidity and the improvements across the board are immeasurable. Bear in mind, a lot of Stu's young bucks tog out for Ireland. The man has really left a mark in Leinster. I'm sorry to see him leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm guessing McElroy has a decent chance of a renewal unless someone better becomes available cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Sheehan’s minute usage this season tells me they really don’t trust anyone past Kelleher. Not so much the total minutes, but how long into games he goes. Most teams these days have hooker as a two man position.

Barron is only 21. So, depending on what they see from him in training, they might project him for a lot more minutes next year.

• Advertisement

That could end up as a disaster. If one of Kelleher or Sheehan suffer a long term injury, we're fcuked. I do feel that McKee will get a development contract for next season. Eventually, he's going to have to get minutes.

Losing Treacy prematurely has a knock on effect. McKee could have been eased into the squad. Now, he's certainly going to get a boatload of game time next season.

Scannell might be available if Munster get an NIQ hooker. He would be a really good third hooker.

Right! Didn't think of that. As 3rd choice though, he's probably looking at less money?

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Bath. I think he'd be a good signing.

You would need to pay him better than third choice but its an important role within the context or your squad.

Some encouraging images in these photos from today - Jason Jenkins, Joe McCarthy, Tommy O'Brien, Tadhg Furlong, Luke McGrath, Will Connors and Johnny Sexton all out on the training pitch participating to some degree. Hopefully all back before too long.

Great seeing Tommy O Brien back training. Hope he gets back soon. Some good young back 3's available. Russell, Cosgrave and TOB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭ersatz

I really hope he gets an executive role like DOR rather than the coach job with Ireland if he moves to the IRFU. That seems to be where his real strengths lie. Leinster were not really going in any direction until Lancaster came on board which may have been a hangover from MOC's tenure. Lancaster has been coaching rugby for decades while Leo had less than 2 years of experience when he became head coach, it seemed an insane appointment at the time but it worked out fairly well with Lancaster coming in. Really hard to say whether Leo would be a top flight international coach for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Woki out for 6 weeks so wont play this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Any word on the clubs gear manufacturer for next season? Is the Adidas contract up? seems like everything been whipped out of the lifestyle stores

We definitely improved a lot under Cullen after MOC left but obviously in another tier now.

It's one of the best coaching jobs in rugby now compared to where we were trying to recruit when MOC was let go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Think it's very easy to write off Leo's achievements by saying it was all Lancaster, but the truth is that none of us really know. He not only inheirited a sh1t show but it was his first time as head coach and he did a really good job of righting the ship. Think it's harsh to say we "were not really going in any direction" when we finished top of the league in his first season and second (by a point) in his second.

But either way a) I guess we'll get a partial answer next season when Stu is gone, and b) you can be sure that Nucifora has a really good idea of where their respective strengths like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Stock levels in Lifestyle Sports around this time of year are always brutal. I remember having this discussion last year and moaning about it as I wanted to pick a jersey up for someone (I think) and they barely had stock of anything in sizes above M.

Stock management is dreadful. Some could argue that it means less go to waste and its a calculated decision but its a recurring trend that post-Christmas, stock dwindles pretty quickly and they miss out on a lot of sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Leo only had one season as head coach without Lancaster. He gave a lot of gametime to young players, which imo was the foundation upon which Lancaster built a much stronger Leinster team. He gave Ross Byrne and Ringrose their debuts, Ringrose went on to start 20 games that season. He also gave substantially more gametime to the likes of van der Flier (264 mins in 14/15 > 1,336 mins in 15/16), Leavy (44 mins > 482 mins), Luke McGrath (380 mins > 929 mins), Dooley (4 mins > 550 mins), and Molony (39 mins > 1,097 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭PMC83

Yeah for a store that has the exclusive rights to the gear Lifestyle made a right balls of it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I'm not sure how much they care about it. It's the same issue year after year, and they don't change, so that reads to me that they are happy with it as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Heard a rumour (barely more than a whisper) that Castore are the next kit suppliers

Leo did turn things over and handed opportunities to lots of young players. Leo has done very well! Together with Stu, they have created an Irish side that is feared and really cohesive. The standards have been insane! Both men have their strengths and have attained so much over the last few years. It's a pleasure to have watched the team perform and develop. Stu will be missed and so will Leo when he inevitably moves on.

This period over the course of the 6nations is crucial. Leinster will be missing about 15 lads. It's the time of year where we've relied on the academy and depth players. So this year, we've no loos head with experience. Ed Byrne is not due back and that means we are looking at Milne to carry the load. It's also a stretch for McKee to earn a contract. The pickings are slim. The front row bar Ala'Alatoa will have little experience. The 2nd row will be grand, if Jenkins recovers. Molony, Jenkins and Deeny can do the job. The back row is fine. I expect Connors to be back along with Deegan. Ruddock and Penny will be there also. Maybe Sean O'Brien and Soroka pick up game time.

In the backs we'll be depending on Russell, Turner and MOR. Ngati will provide experience and DK may get a run. Critical time for Leinster. Some tough opponents coming up; Edinburgh, Stormers and certainly Cardiff. The Dragons will have an intact squad to choose from. Leinster will not win all of these matches. Edinburgh will be very difficult. I reckon the Stormers will flip us. I'm hoping we beat Cardiff and the Dragons.

Depth is vital and some lads will be chucked into the deep end. We need Luke back and HB will hopefully get through this block injury free. I just hope that Milne gets the scrum right.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Edinburgh will be missing 9 players , Cardiff will be missing 8 players and they don't have anything like the depth that Leinster do.

Not saying it's going to be a cake walk , nor do I think Leinster will go through the entire season unbeaten but I wouldn't be getting massively worried about this block of games , with the exception of the Stormers game but hopefully Leinster will be able to select a number of returning Irish players for that one.

Of all the games that one is important to win for later in the year as beating the Stormers now hopefully means not having to go down to SA chasing points in the last 2 rounds in the middle of hopefully a European Cup run in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Why is it a stretch for McKee to earn a contract?

There's been games he hasn't quite been backed yet but he also started against Scarlets in a comprehensive away win in which he shone (7 carries and 13 tackles in 56 minutes - only Penny and Ruddock made more tackles with Ruddock playing the 80) with a fantastic all around performance including solid darts.

He was also backed to play 30 minutes in a very scrappy away game against a fired up Ospreys team before his unfortunate head injury.

He had 3 really good outings last season also in South Africa and in the Aviva against Munster.

I'd be surprised if his senior contract with Leinster hasn't already been finalised and it just hasn't been announced given he's year 3

Advertisement