Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland running out of accommodation for Ukrainian refugees due to surge in non-Ukrainian refugees?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Took a look at the first few replies and he is being called out for talking nonsense.

Has he been able to answer any of the points made, I don't know how to navigate twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

By their logic, hospitals are far from full either; after all, you can squeeze people into the carpark, into toilet cubicles, into the coffee shop etc. This is the logic of this thoughtless "argument."

This guy fails to realize that the level of services each person is now entitled to has increased hundred-fold since 1860. The issue is not space per se, but the level of services that a higher population commands. If we were bringing in the brightest and the best, then that could work, sure, but welfare tourists (by definition) consume more than they produce and only exacerbate existing resource constraints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

The population of Ireland in 1860 was 5.7 million. It's currently over 7 million. He obviously forgot that Ireland included the 32 counties in the 19th century.

In the UK, the money the gov spends on hotels etc for asylum seekers is taken out of their aid budget, but you could hardly expect such reasonable policy from our lot. Full and abject subservience to foreign bodies is the driving force of their policy agenda

Post edited by keynes on

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭bertieinexile

By their logic, hospitals are far from full either; after all, you can squeeze people into the carpark, into toilet cubicles, into the coffee shop etc.

Nice. I'll be using that one myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Before you use it as an argument to suggest Government policy on immigration is the issue, I’d suggest you use it instead to argue that the lack of Government investment in public services is the underlying reason for the lack of resources Ireland has been experiencing for decades.

You probably won’t fit all that on a snazzy banner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What a stupid tweet. The Vatican City wasn’t a country in 1860!

Where did he get an 1860 country population figure for a country that didn’t exist. From his arse!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

So what did one of our leading public intellectuals have to say? The thrust of Fintan O'Toole's article was that the protestors actually had no issues with the refugees or their impact on wages, public services, the housing crisis etc. Rather, they are merely a shower of embittered malcontents releasing pent-up anger from the failed abortion referendum, the failure of nationalism, and the inexorable decline in Catholicism. You really couldn't make this stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

When your beliefs reduce you to appearing like a fool, your beliefs are deeply flawed. The lad who posted that appears to be a teenager, so I wouldn't go too hard on him, but sadly there's many people far older than him with similar thoughts.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sounds like he hit the nail on the head TBH.

Add in Anti-Vax, Covd and WEF conspiracies and you have the full house. 👍️

• Advertisement

His figures for Ireland are completely wrong also. The present population is higher than in 1860.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

he'll get extra points for weaving in commentary about how we'd all be better off if we stopped noticing that lots of earnest FFG public servants are being forced to resign after being caught out for "not following best practices". We'd also be better off if we drove out that dangerous "investigative journalism" element from The Ditch....Paschal is such a decent chap after all.

You know nothing of Fintan O'Toole if you envisage him writing anything like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

government looking after businesses… their mates

more people = more business transactions.

more people = more competition for jobs which ultimately drives down wages

plus there is kowtowing to their EU overlords.

as relates accommodation ? Many political people or family members are involved in hotels, hostels or other businesses that will benefit from the population spike.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

So the EU have been forced to act on passengers* turning up at destination airports having "lost" their own passports. They are proposing to repeal the 2004 API Directive, and replace it with two regulations. The API directive imposes an obligation on air carriers to transmit, “upon request” passenger data to the Member State of destination prior to the flight’s take-off, for flights in-bound from a third country to improve border controls and combat illegal immigration.”

API or Advanced Passenger Information is the biographical information collected by airlines at the moment of check in. This is stored in the airlines systems and sent to border control authorities of destination countries. "API data contains information which allows authorities to confirm the identity of passengers."

It looks like under the bould Helen McEntee that border control authorities of Ireland have not requested passenger API despite having the powers to do so. Is anyone surprised?

But the EU proposal is looking to make transmitting this data mandatory. it will introduce "Mandatory API data collection for the purposes of border management and combating irregular immigration on all flights entering the Union (including those travelling on business aviation and charter flights)."

According to the Dept of Justice: "It is envisaged that the regulations will be adopted by 2025. Secondary legislation will be adopted by 2028 and entry into operation in 2030. Overall, an 8 year implementation period is envisaged."

So these and similar "passengers" have another 8 years to keep on "losing" travel documents before getting off the plane.

*There are many other terms that could be used to describe these individuals, but in order not to give those who want to have this discussion shut down any possible ammunition I'm using passengers.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

Just like the media, the NGOs and the political parties, you seem to recognise - at least implicitly - the huge strain placed on the resources of a local community by the imposition of a refugee centre. (Schools, GPs etc.)

Having recognised the problem, the argument goes, we must see the ones to blame are the government for having failed to invest in and build these resources up to now.

But: Short term - these resources aren't going to appear overnight. So can't we at least halt immigration until these communities are prepared to handle it. (And then, pass the salts, ASK the communities for their consent)

And: Long term - is there any limit on how much will be required in terms of resources? As far as we know, the whole of North Africa is welcome.

Well, you could, and I’d understand why you might argue that as a solution IF I thought your little group were actually operating with a shared brain cell.

I don’t think that’s the case though. Far more likely is simply the case that you’re operating under the impression you represent the people you claim to represent, when in actual fact you don’t.

That’s why it’s entirely up to you to keep chanting “Get them out!” outside refugee accommodation, like the classy bunch you are, and have Government continue to ignore you because nobody wants anything to do with you so politicians aren’t the least bit concerned about their re-election prospects, and they can continue to make silly proposals like housing refugees in plastic containers (how long do you think it’d be before numbnuts propose doing the same for everyone seeking accommodation?)…

OR, or…

You could realise that due to an increasing population, which is only going in one direction, whether by natural increase or by immigration, Government which should have been heavily investing in public services and infrastructure like schools, hospitals, etc should have gotten their finger out decades earlier, and there’s an even greater incentive and imperative upon them to do it now.

Or you could keep cribbing about refugees who aren’t using any resources and aren’t putting any pressure on public services, but they’re just unsightly in neighbourhoods which have fcukall resources and aren’t going to get any any time soon as a result of your groups efforts, never mind actually being consulted about who has the right to live in their neighbourhood.

”Ask the communities for their consent and wait until they’re prepared to handle it” 😂

What sort of la-la land must you imagine you’re living in to think ANYONE has the right to determine who their neighbours are, or whether they have the right to be consulted about refugees being accommodated in private accommodation, or being able to avail of access to public schools, public hospitals, etc? You didn’t have that right before, you’re sure as hell not entitled to it now 😒

Yeah but the likes of Boggles will defend those Somali parents

WTAF? I defended child abusers. Absolute scurrilous accusation, shame on you!!

That was an incoherent rant One Eyed Jack.

People have and always have had a right to have a say in their own communities.

If a prison or a nursing home or a direct provision was to be built beside you, you would have the right to object.

I don’t expect you to believe anything, nor do I expect you to buy anything. I specifically made the point that it’s because of the lack of investment by Government in previous decades that we are where we are now, and not for a minute so I think the current Government are going to give up an opportunity to grow the Irish economy which was handed to them on a silver platter, because that would be unpopular with the electorate, meaning they would actually be in trouble at the next election.

I don’t suggest relying on Government for anything, nor do I expect anything will be delivered by people whom it appears crawled out of the woodwork overnight to oppose refugees being accommodated wherever they’re being accommodated (cos most of the people generating animosity towards refugees aren’t locals, they travel round the country).

Instead they could do to learn a few lessons from actual communities and what can be accomplished without any support from the State when a community actually works together for a positive change -

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2022/1214/1341701-romanian-church/

As opposed to maintaining their claim over nothing, and ensuring that they are protecting nothing, in case anyone tries to take nothing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Welcome to the forum. When you said you knew some incels it was quite interesting as they are overrepresented in the far right and do have an unpleasant attitude towards women so I was just curious. I wonder if we will get a trans female posting next. I'm not sure what knowing incels has to do with the discussion though?

• Advertisement

That’s not the same thing as what I said, but regardless, it’s not as simple as you make out either, just ask Pat Kenny -

https://www.thejournal.ie/pat-kenny-loses-battle-planning-apartments-4734580-Jul2019/

Lost their battle against the development of social housing adjacent to their Dalkey home, a development funded by foreign investors under the Immigrant Investor Programme -

https://www.ft.com/content/50a158b8-aa23-4f23-8b11-db823345237b

These lads protesting outside refugee accommodation aren’t even at the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Well if I or anybody else "can't rely on Government for anything" what in the name of good f**k are my tax takings doing going to these peoples salaries and gold plated pensions for? Seriously? What is the point then? I can't rely on them? I vote and also handsomely pay for them to be the ones to ultimately lead my community, to be the ones to rely on, that's what they promise every four years, that's the game right? Or is it now something else? Where I and everybody else have to continue to pay for this mess and also shut our f**king mouth's about it too? That sounds like something else you claim to abhor Jack.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

This is presumably down to my lack of a brain cell but I found that hard to follow.

You seem to repeat the media, NGO, opposition party argument: Government which should have been heavily investing in public services and infrastructure like schools, hospitals, etc should have gotten their finger out decades earlier

but then I can't see where you address the short term and long term problems I had with that as an answer.

I don't get the line about "refugees who aren’t using any resources and aren’t putting any pressure on public services". Is that supposed to be a caricature of my position or something you believe yourself?

The la-la land in which communities have the right to be consulted about the uses of premises for private accommodation, cognisant of the impact on access to public schools, public hospitals, etc? is this country.

And the right is implemented quite regularly through planning applications and objections to same.

(Although to be fair that right carries much more weight when it involves your better off communities. Not these ones.)

Those are good questions, and while the obvious answer is that they’re living it up on the public purse with salaries in excess of €100k while you’re cribbing about the guy who gets €200 a week and has to live in cramped accommodation with his head beside some other guys ass and praying he didn’t have the borscht for dinner (cos that stuffs like rocket fuel!), the more truthful answer is that they’re doing exactly what is expected of them by the electorate in running the country.

That doesn’t mean they have to run the country in accordance with yours or my personal preferences, but we do elect politicians on the basis of our personal preferences, so if you’re actually looking to point fingers, I’d suggest looking in a mirror.

I’ll skip the rest of it as there’s nothing of any substance there, but this bit was interesting -

And the right is implemented quite regularly through planning applications and objections to same.

Is chanting “Get them out!” outside buildings where refugees are being accommodated, part of the planning applications appeals process now?

OK.

You put forward the argument being advanced by the media, the NGOs and the opposition parties: Blame the government for the fact that the resources required to welcome these refugees don't exist.

You made the argument twice.

Both times I pointed out two issues I had with that argument. A short term one and a long term one.

You're upfront about not wanting to answer those objections.

Fair enough. We'll move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nice edit there.

I never said you would defend their child abuse, I said you would defend them not to be deported.

Look how many criminals are left in Ireland after they have served their time in jail because ... because ... because ... they can't go home as it would be unsafe.

So would you agree that both parents should be deported ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Why in the name of God would I defend child abusers at any level?

Is there something actually wrong with you?

Unless your next post to me is a full retraction of your scurrilous claims and an apology, don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

Ireland is of huge value on the global map for lots of reasons.

It is hugely valued by all sorts of people, rich and poor.

The only people who don't value it, it seems, are Irish people themselves.

Perfect situation for 'international obligators' to destroy what's left of the society.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

More posts deleted

The topic is set out in the OP. If you don't want to discuss it maybe it's time to close the thread

Advertisement