Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 C_mc

If you had 3 points on your licence but due to expire by the end of the year. If you passed your interview could you push off starting your training until a later class or would they pick up on it. Asking for a friend .....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SAXA999

Driving licence is black and white. Person in last class failed his test the week before they were due to start training and he was axed by DCC HR. Not given an chance to resit

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JTabuena

Hi all,

Anybody here who is a holder of a degree who studied outside Ireland? I'm not sure the level of qualification for someone who finished a 4 year course (bachelor's degree). Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dollydoodle

You'll need to get onto qqi.ie about this. They're the ones to advise you

Sorted! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 GravyD

Does anybody have any idea roughly how many people they're looking to bring forward for interviews?

The unions have put in an official complaint about what's happened with the verification tests.

Hi all,

Just a random question. Does the DFB allow its employees to take up part time jobs? Of course given that it would not affect the firefighter's primary duty hours/roster.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

Depends on the nature of the business, I have a relative in the DFB who regularly does some plumbing work on the side, but this is freelance work and doesn't interefere as he's not bound to a contract or roster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Iceomatrix

if DFB does do something about those who failed is it likely to hold up the campaign until they get to resit the supervised exams?

Unions want the supervised exams null and void and bring everybody who was asked to sit them thru to interview instead

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

That will never happen

Do you think they havnt met the quota then in terms of how many they are bringing for interview? Its so poorly handled but not DFB's fault. Staffline have some serious questions to answer regarding this whole debacle. Please keep sharing updates, no official response yet from DCC

Do we know how many have been called for interview so far? Any insight on the numbers? By the tike they discount people with endorsed licenses ect..it makes sense to bring a large number forward

People who passed the exams at home but weren't brought forward to the supervised round are now being brought forward to make up numbers. DCC did the same thing in 2021 bringing people who didn't make the interview in 2019 through to interviews a couple of years later. Previous competitions haven't been much different to this one, with different questions at the supervised stage. I can see complaints being acknowledged, but nothing more being done regarding those who were not brought forward.

Right okay, so they are making up the numbers with people who scored (for want of a better term) below par. There's no recognition about the marking scheme issue then? If you scored 99 in round one but didnt do the same or above in round 2 your discounted. 99 is bloody tough to get twice in a row..if you score 89 in round 2 (still an amazing score) your not entertained coz you dropped below your original marker of 99 or 96, whatever it may be. If anything it shows you can grasp information, follow command, communicate information back ect..why would they opt to take ppl who score lower than acknowledge the issue that the marking scheme is biased against the high scorers

Supervised exams have a certain percentage of leeway. You're not automatically unverified for scoring a mark less than you did at home. I've also heard people say they found the supervised exams easier than at home. A lot of people feel hard done by cause they're disappointed. But this competition isn't doing anything drastically different to previous years. Previous years actually had more exams at supervised stage than at home. But the IT glitch hasn't caused anyone to be shafted. All the previous competitions have had different questions at the supervised stage. Otherwise all you have to do is watch someone do the exam at home for you and make note of the answers. They want to know you can do the arithmetic. The majority of people feeling screwed over are people applying for this job first time, with no prior experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dd106

I totally disagree with this , in previous campaigns you were ranked in order of merit so essentially you were scored on the exam you weren’t simply just verifying it.

So your two scores from the unsupervised test and supervised test would be averaged out and the top scores would proceed to the next stage.

In this campaign we were told that this supervised exam was simply a like for like exam to quote we were told it was just a shortened version of the unsupervised exam

However this was not the case as there was many differences between the two. They weren’t similar and of much more difficulty.

So how could you verify an exam score when the two exams were not alike.

Either the exams should have been like for like to verify them or they should have simply just been scored like was seen in the previous recruitment

But this is a different company to previous recruitment's and it's the way they do it.

• Advertisement

Your missing the point. If somebody scored 96 unsupervised then 85 supervised your deemed as unverified but if you scored 52 unsupervised and 47 supervised your deemed verified and brought forward. That's completely ridiculous if you are looking for the best candidates.

I should clarify my earlier comment. Unions want anybody who passed the supervised exam regardless of their previous score to get an interview. If you straight out failed your supervised exam you gone.

I find the entire thing hard to accept. They aren't being transparent at all. I do not accept that my opportunity will be taken away because this company could not align a 2nd exam that was comparable to the 1st for fair comparison. I agree with SAXA999 and dd106, it's was nit the same exam, it was a completely different format and it will result in the best candidates being omitted form competition. It's unjust , it's can't be explained away as 'just the way it is'

We care and are passionate enough to want this, some of us have waited years for the opportunity to open up again. I'm not accepting this error on Stafflines part as my opportunity being taken from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

There was no pass or fail so to speak with the verified exams, ie there wasn't a set % that had to be achieved, so I don't know how the union will swing that one, as it goes back to the verified/unverified issue, and if they are saying everyone who did the supervised test deserves an interview regardless then that opens a whole other can of worms.

As Tardis said though there usually is a lot of disspointment and feelings of hard done by with this campaign, it does tend to be fairly cut throat especially if its something you've never applied for previously.

It seems to be DCC are just ploughing ahead either ways, staff sitting on interviews have been notified ect, they have enough numbers but no-one is guaranteed to pass an interview either, so could be more numbers pulled again for testing if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tonym8986

You are right it is cut throat but TARDIS is comparing the 2019 competition which is like comparing chalk and cheese. The 2019 tests was run with a firefighter screening test if you passed that you were brought forward to sit a supervised test in public jobs offices to sit a verbal reasoning test and numerical reasoning test also an observation test . This year candidates sat a verbal reasoning test numerical reasoning and mechanical reasoning test and firefighter screening test all at home if you passed all of these you are brought forward for a verified test. So the verified test started the 13th of December at 9am candidates began there tests AFTER they started technical issues began tests were cancelled. One bloke had exceptional circumstances and was allowed complete the test which he was capable of doing as the server could deal with a single test being completed. I may added the same style and test he would of took at home. I will move forward to the verified tests in January these tests were changed so the server wouldn't act up again i.e test was changed. I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd say it's more a mess up on stafflines behalf than upset candidates. 1). No union will put pen to paper without having the proper evidence to show there was an issue. 2). 3 or 4 people having a moan you can chalk up to being bitter. Having a large percentage of people singing the same song points to there was an issue with the verified test simple way to see who's telling the truth you compare the test on the 13th of December to January you have your answer UNLESS there is a refusal to do so from someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I know they were two different styles of exam, compared to what was previously always used with Public Jobs, and If you look back through threads you'll see posts complaining about test format/questions/orders of merit ect ect so there always does tend to be people feeling hard done by.

My understanding without too much detail on questions, is let's take mechanical reasoning for example, the actual questions database is say 200 questions of a similar difficulty, which you are randomly allocated 20 to answer in a set amount of time. Different candidates will get different questions so it rules out an element of cheating if say 2 people try do the tests after one another.

Same applies to the other types of test, the questions may be of different type, structure or format, but the database is set at the same 200 questions of equal difficulties.

So is part of the issue here people are not happy that they didn't get the exact same questions as they got when the first sat the test at home? Thus questions/format may have seemed harder and led to a lower score giving the unverified result?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭big.left90

DELETED

You had to be within 10% of your unverified exam to your verified (pass/fail)

You had to score over 40% to pass

(Pass/fail)

So unions are saying, anybody who scored below 40% in the verified, they can be cut, no issues there. We all know they more than likely had home assistant.

Be anybody who passed, but was outside their 10% tolerance should be brought forward to interview due to discrepancies

As I said before, you are loosing people who scored in the 90s then 80s but interviewing people who scored in the 50s then 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tonym8986

The mechanical reasoning tests were supposedly the same as they are a single question with 3 possible answers and different questions one after another straight forward.

The verbal reasoning online test would be similar to public jobs a paragraph 4 questions following each paragraph. The verified test was loaded in situation where a candidate would be caught out by the restructuring of it with paragraphs all over the place.

The numerical reasoning online test again would follow a similar structure of public jobs with a difficulty level of higher level leaving cert maths. The verified test again structure was changed and supposedly the difficulty was at a higher level.

How can a process test a candidate for consistency if it itself is inconsistent from what is said the number of official complaints is around 160 people.

I have a feeling this will go back and forward so I'll ask you one question.

Do you think the unions would get involved in this for no reason or is it they know something isn't right honestly ?

Is the figure of 160 accurate? This is mote than a few people feeling hard done by tbh, all worded well above regarding the marking scheme and percentage error. You not getting the best candidates for the role. In a high pressure and fast environment you need to be able to understand and follow a command, communicate information back ect on any situation.

I'm glad so many have complained. The qnd round was not a shorter version of the 1st as was supposed to be. It was a different format of exam, it's simple!! Therfore it cannot be used for comparison purposes or to verify the 1st exam. Staffline aren't accepting any responsibility or acknowledgement of this which is infuriating!! I'm delighted the union are pushing for top marking candidates to be brought forward to at least be offered an interview. You just want a fair hearing

• Advertisement

Dollydoodle, you're really starting to stamp your foot on the ground now. In no previous campaigns have the supervised exams been question for question, like for like to the tests done at home.

Advertisement