Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

They might have a valid point if they are correct in what they say. Anyway, i am sure the GAA will hold a completely unbiased and fair inquiry into this and come to the correct conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This is it. The appeals system that has gone out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

The lad wasnt sent off due to his ethnicity , it was due to that fact he spat at an opponent , and the opponent then struck out - both were sent off , then it was the racism element that was used.

Sorry (not sorry) but if you spit at someone you deserve a bang in the mouth back, and a red card ...

Replay is due to be played this week?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Replay was actually due to take place Sunday 27th but no ref available, so will now take place Thursday 1st Dec

Is that true that Delaney spat on the opponent? Did he do that though due to insults about his ethnicity? I’d have assumed that was the case to cause someone to do that

The point in the statement by Cahir is that the Cahir player deserved his red card but why was he the only one named and shamed for getting the red card?

The club maintain that no Cahir player, sub, mentor, or supporter was involved in the melee after the Cahir player was sent off.

The problem is with how the Cahir player is the only player named and how is being portrayed in the media and on social media.

Any poster who continues to name one player and concentrate on the "racism card" is to completely miss the point.

Cahir are entitled to point out that their players get continual abuse about being travelers.

• Advertisement

I suppose he’s easy to name as he’s a County player, so naturally Media would veer towards naming him, as wrong as that may sound

Leadership from a ref on an important issue:

Referee David Gough is unhappy with the GAA's decision to prevent Mayo GAA wearing rainbow coloured shirt numbers in support of the LGBTIQA+ community.

Mayo had requested to wear rainbow coloured shirt numbers during their Allianz National League campaign after a suggestion from their charity partner Mindspace Mayo, who encouraged the move as a show of support for the LGBTIQA+ community.

Speaking to Saturday with Colm Ó Mongáin, Gough said: "I think it's an abhorrent decision by the GAA."

"I know about the requests in the first place and it was disheartening to wake up to a text message to say that there had been a refusal to allow Mayo to wear rainbow coloured numbers on the back of their jerseys in support of the LGBT community and, in particular, their own partner in charity in Mayo."

"I saw their statement and they said that the playing gear was sacrosanct, and I think was an unwise choice of words.

"I've studied Latin and I understand that sacrosanct means most sacred or holy. Now, I suppose what they're trying to say is that the regard to jerseys is too important or too valuable to be interfered with, but to state that your jerseys might be hallowed by sacred right is a bit strange.

"A precedent has been set before where we've had Dublin in the championship playing against Westmeath with Pieta House on their jerseys. We had Cork wearing jerseys in the National League for Mercy Hospital Foundation, we had Carlow wearing something for suicide awareness and even up in Derry, Joe Brolly's Opt For Life campaign appeared on the jerseys in the championship back in 2013.

"So precedent had been set beforehand and it's just strange to see that they're singling out the LGBT community."

Previously Mayo wore rainbow laces for the All-Ireland semi-final against Tipperary in 2020, and in 2023 they wanted to go one step further.

Gough believes that the GAA would be backed by their myriad of sponsors.

"Well speaking about sponsors, our national competitions are sponsored by eir, AIB, SuperValu, Bord Gáis, Centra, and a lot of those organisations take part heavily in Dublin pride and pride events around the country.

"In fact, AIB and Bord Gáis are two of the greatest supporters of pride within Dublin and I've been part of the most recent SuperValu campaign. So it will be interesting to see how the sponsors take this ban.

"Bord Gáis have already gone rainbow inside Croke Park on their sponsorship boards and we don't see any issue around that. I would fear that if Mayo did this, that there would be a backlash.

"I suppose it would be remiss of me not to have looked up the rules in relation to this and when I looked up what the GAA's rules are in relation to sponsors, brands and distinctive marks and logos, they can disqualify the team from the competition if the logo has not been sanctioned.

"There can be loss of expenses for players or individuals, and not less than 24 weeks or expulsion from the association for wearing them for individual players. Now I find that very hard to take."

Referee David Gough wearing Pride laces on his boots

A GAA statement read that the main reasoning behind the decision was that the numbers would be hard to make out from distance.

"I think that's a ridiculous comment to make. We have already seen Ireland and the FAI wearing them in the Aviva at a match of an international sporting governing body against the USA.

"The rainbow flags might have been seen outside the stadium or around, or in the vicinity of the stadium. But they have never been seen inside the stadium."

"It is not a political movement. It is a community based in human rights movement.

"It might push and lobby politicians for advancements within the LGBT community, but it is not a political party per se. I know when I tried to wear the wristband in 2015, I tied that attempt to a political statement by saying that I was calling for a yes vote in the marriage equality referendum.

"But this attempt by Mayo to support a charity of their choice who have said they want to promote LGBT issues is not a political statement. And it's nothing to do with politics whatsoever."

Dónal Óg Cusack was the most high profile male GAA player to come out as gay, when he did so 13 years ago.

"This country is totally accepting of gay men and gay men within sport and we've proven that and it shouldn't be a case that we need people to come out. Although role models within the sport will be fantastic for younger people," Gough added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

But its hardly abuse ???? ⬆️ 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

What did people think of Clifford mentioning the ref in his speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I thought it was really stupid. The game was over and he was lifting the cup so it was really unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It sounded completely cringe.

But what would most interest me is the reaction to it from the GAA.

Will Clifford be publicly repremanded and will the ref be publicly defend by the GAA ?

I hope they do because if they don't it will give players, coaches and fans another platform to abuse refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I agree 100% with you that there should be a consequence to his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd imagine the abuse the traveler players get is bad. It seems like a lot of other things that when it takes place on a GAA field it's seen as bravado.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Paudie Clifford may have had a wonderful year on the pitch but he sure made himself look like a clown yesterday. Came across as a bit of a prima donna - "how dare he send ME off" - and did nothing for the efforts being made by the organisation to improve the lot of referees who take enough guff as it is.

Also, his comments would be way out of order even if he was badly treated by the referee, and was wrongly red-carded. But his expulsion was 100% correct. Legged up the the field to get involved in an incident that was dying down and raked the glove across the face of a grounded player. Then he legged it back when he realised he was out-numbered and might get a clipping. Real smooth, Paudie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Why would anyone be bothered to be a ref these days with that sort needless carry on from Clifford.

The GAA need to take a leaf out the rugby book and make the players have respect for the refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

When you say take leaf out of rugbys book. what do you suggest be done?

Any thoughts on just cancelling the Captain's speeches in general for trophy presentations? Just do it like Football and let them walk up, lift trophy and leave

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If Connelly got a 12-week ban for placing a hand on a ref then publicly calling out a ref should be an even more serious offence.

I think it is awful that there is even silence from Croke Park on the matter. They should have been out immediately to make it clear that comments like that are entirely unacceptable and he will face a serious ban.

It is this tacit acceptance that allows this culture to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

>>

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Only the Captain can speak to the ref, any backchat is immediately penalized.

Wayne Barnes sent off then England Captain Dylan Hartley during a final a few years back for mouthing at him - you'd never see that happen in GAA because the refs aren't empowered to do it.

The tolerance of scummy behavior is poison to the game, you have clowns like Wooly excusing what went on in that game because it's 'manly' game or some shite. Yeah, its manly to blindside a lad with a forearm smash or grab their head at speed while they're prone on the ground. 🙄

• Advertisement

Rugby its far easier and feasible for only the captain to talk to the referee because the captain will generally be very close to play all the time. That isnt case with the way both hurling and gaelic are played. play up at one end of field and ref needs to speak to a captain who happens to be the goalie/full back at far end of pitch. Not realistic to have them run up length of pitch for a 30 second chat

Lot of other things should be done instead of just captain speaking to ref which is just unrealistic. Reduce numbers of people allowed on sidelines should help things at all levels. change rules and then do more training for refs to assist them in being better officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,072 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That was an easy one as the rule is a red card and a minimum 12 weeks suspension for minor physical interference with an official. Paul Galvin got 24 weeks for knocking the book out of a referee's hands, later reduced to 12 weeks.

It could be harder to find which rule will go beyond 12 weeks in this case.

Maybe, but lack of a clear rule isn't reason not to comment at all.

As for training the ref, the ref did a fine job on Sunday, it is the players and management that need training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

There were two Stewardstown supporters behind on Sunday. The abuse they gave the ref was incessant, from the throw up until after the final whistle. It was embarrassing. What was really astonishing was they were 5/6 years old. What hope is there when you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Let the ref decide who he wants to speak to, anyone goes near him of their own accord gets booked.

Its not that difficult.

The issue is not the ref giving cards. You are correct that that is not difficult.

The issue is the reaction. By the players, the management, sidelines, fans and pundits.

If a ref starts giving cards you have people complaining that they are ruining the game, not letting the players express themselves, it's a manly game etc.

It's never the players fault, it's the ref. They don't understand the rules, don't understand the game.

And the ref knows they won't get supported afterwards. The GAA won't stand by them. They will be hung out to dry on TV, social media, newspapers.

The amount of times we hear or read that the ref lost control of the match when in reality you have a group of grown men unable to control themselves and knowingly breaking the rules and expecting to get away with it, or if challenged by the ref to be completely supported by their team mates, club and the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The ref can initiate a conversation with any player to warn them. But only the captain can start a chat with the ref. It would stop keepers being captain but is that really such an issue? How often in a game does the ref need to give a team warning that he would be required to talk to the captain, or the captain needs to clarify something with the ref?

Shouting at the ref is penalised with 10metres for the first team offence and after that the players are booked. players would quickly learn that abuse of the ref is heavily penalised and it would stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

This is exactly why nothing will change. If a referee is abused, a significant number of GAA supporters, players and managers will blame the referee. There's a bizarre assertion that players never do anything wrong, yet that the best, most experienced referees in Ireland are still fundamentally bad at what they do.

The notion of "Train the referees better and they will earn less abuse" is comical too. Who is the infallible master referee who will teach referees how to do their job perfectly to everyone's satisfaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The level of refereeing in the top divisions in the club game is actually decent.

It's hilarious lads coming on giving out yards about a ref in a junior b game or similar. I bet they don't give out about the quality of players as quick.

• Advertisement

Thar isnt feasible or necessary. The only talking to captain works in other sports as players are far closer to officials all the time. Stopping keepers being captain isnt needed.

Id much rather look at things that are causing issues like numbers of people allowed on sidelines. fixing/changing the rules to assist refs.

Shouting at refs being penalised would be good step and can happen now but more refs need to be encouraged to do that. If refs got more training and assistance from county boards it would help things like that. if each county had regular meetings for all refs to discuss rules, game management, rules changes etc it woulld help refs improve on areas like that

Advertisement