Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So the COP yearly jamborees are a load of old tosh and doesn't really understand the existential threat we are really under. The only thing for it is smaller groups meeting behind closed doors to make the real decisions.

"Surely, this would be a good place to stop, replacing the yearly media jamboree with something else. Perhaps smaller, separate Cop standing bodies would do a better job, working behind closed doors to address the key issues – energy, transport, deforestation, loss and damage, and so on."

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

What's your point? This study confirms exactly what I have been saying

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hydrogen will contain deuterium. If there's too little then it's probably green hydrogen from electrolysis, especially if they are recovering heavy water.

Tritium may indicate if the water has been near or through a nuclear power plant.

I'd imagine hydrogen from electrolysis will have a lot less hydrocarbons than hydrogen from other sources.

Helium would suggest natural gas.

Other trace gases would leave tell tale signs and their isotope ratios would give further hints. Sulphur compounds could be from oil. Nitrogen and it's oxides would suggest gasification from solids as would particulates.

You can pick up gases from satellite too

That's all true but The EU has mastered 'traceability' supply chains in food logistics. We can implement similar supply chain infrastructure for energy

It's not even a 'shouid' it's a must

Carbon taxes need to be paid, co2 emissions need to be accounted for.

I'm sure Exxon will try to break the rules, but we need to prevent them from getting away with it

Exxon et al, get away with breaking the rules when we're reliant on them. Every wind turbine/solar pb/ battery installation makes us less reliant on these companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Wind Turbine and solar are totally reliant on oil, gas and coal. The reverse is not true. We in Ireland experienced a major failure of wind & solar during the cold spell before Christmas, nobody noticed because of a combination of demand management (companies falling back on diesel generation) and availability of gas. That will not be the case by the end of the decade due to a combination of increased demand for electricity and a policy of restricting availability oil, gas & coal specifically in Western Europe.

A strategy of over building turbines and solar to produce electricity cannot reduce prices because the generators need to be paid to do nothing most of the time (capacity factors are less than 50%), they need to maintain their infrastructure. Without income guarantee the generators are not going to enter the generating market. They will become more reliant on subsidies via carbon tax transfers and the subsidy misleadingly called Public Service Obligation Levy.

Nor is this immune from politics, a situation where the Irish political class represents the interests of external vested interests over a large portion of their electorate, can only lead to inflammation and instability as the costs are imposed on people other than the bourgeoisie who benefit from the subsidies. You can see this more directly today when small communities reject immigration centers, they are not being racist, they are rejecting the overhead costs being directly imposed on them by government. Sinn Fein are picking up support, not because they have better polices or more competence, they are "not the government" who represent external interests first, their "tax the rich" policy is perceived as an attack on wealthy vested interests and a portion of the electorate wants to translate their dissatisfaction with the establishment in Ireland. They know full well Sinn Fein will do nothing to improve their personal situation, the electorate can use them to express their frustration via ballot box rather than engage in direct confrontation.

"Protecting the planet" has become "protecting the vested interests". Billionaires are funding various NGOs and activist groups that push climate change. Climate change consistently ranks at the bottom of electorates concerns during major elections, politicians would like it to be at the top, simply because it cannot be resolved, it's not their fault, no culpability, no responsibility, and they can blame the people themselves, aka the peasants are revolting.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

1. Commodity Prices rarely 'reduce' (except for when they're at an unnatural peak due to some crisis or other.) Gas prices have been at historically high levels. Meanwhile the costs of installing Solar and wind are falling, while new technologies in energy storage, geothermal etc mean these costs are rapidly falling. The costs to the consumer are unlikely to fall as Energy has been heavily subsidised (oil and gas are subsidised by trillions of dollars)

1. We haven't finished building the infrastructure yet, so of course we're reliant on the old infrastructure. Your objection is like me complaining that I still have to rent somewhere to live because my new house is too wet to live in, but the new house isn't built yet and doesn't have a roof yet.

It will be difficult to get to 100% renewable energy. The last 10% will cost a lot of money. But we should absolutely be able to get to 90% carbon neutral energy and only require fossil fuels as backup within 20 years

Of course, that won't happen if we don't start the transition (properly) The Fossil fuel industry are doing everything they can to influence policy so that that transition gets delayed for as long as possible.

The longer we delay it, the higher the costs will be.

If we started acting in the 1980s we'd already be done by now and it would have been barely an inconvenience

If we wait until 2030, we'll be in a major crisis, we'll be locked into extremely damaging levels of climate change, and some countries will probably already have started geoengineering out of panic with all the additional unintended consequences that leads to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Whats this BS about fossil fuel subsidies. Shure arent they taxed to the tune of 50%.

It is already well established that it is not possible to do this economically due to wind turbine and solar capacity factors alone. Aside from the lack of materials, overbuilding the generating plant is wasteful of resources. Are populations in Western Europe really going to accept economic decline due to lack of energy resources? The world will move on without us or we will invade them to get those resources.

I don't know what the world will look like after 2030. We are witnessing re-alignment of major power centers. Europe has been sucked into a war with Russia which will probably take much of the remaining decade to resolve (not just the fighting, the costs of repair and rebuild of energy infrastructure). The longer this drags on, the more resources and production are committed to it. Wars mean material resources are allocated to conflict and rationed elsewhere, these materials would otherwise be used for something more productive. Large scale war in Europe always ends with the bankruptcy of it's main protagonists. After WWII Europe had a sugar daddy in the form of the United States that provided fresh capital to rebuild and modernise using the energy from coal, oil and gas. Oil was the the big game changer in the 20th century, it it the basis of our lifestyle today. Government will not getting rid of it in 10, 20 or even 30 years

I can confidently say for certain that climate will not be a problem after after 2030, 2040 or 2050. The reasons I can say this with 100% certainty, the claims of specific dates by activists and politicians are arbitrary, the track record and skills of those making the claims are non-existent, past claims of disaster by specific dates have expired, nothing changed, and most importantly mankind has the proven ability to adapt to his environment.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

It's going to take decades just to upgrade the transmission network for all this new wind power.

I do love the language of climate catastrophe. It's hilarious how you're worried about unintended consequences of possible geoengineering while completely ignoring the very real consequences of continuing to push for ever more expensive energy.

I suppose it's a bit like thinking climate modeling is akin to a glass of water reaching thermal equilibrium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

It's just saying that if there hadn't been wind energy there for 34% of our electricity last year, we would have had to replace that generation with gas plants, so our gas consumption would have gone up accordingly. And with the spikey gas prices, the cost of that gas generation was particularly high in the past year (~2Bn).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Dont think anybody is saying we shouldnt have wind energy, it this "green" notion that we go all out on wind that lads are saying is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭ps200306

Uh no, it's not just saying that. Had it done, it would have been accurate. What it said was that it saved consumers EUR 2 billion. That's a deliberate lie.

We haven't finished building the infrastructure yet, so of course we're reliant on the old infrastructure. Your objection is like me complaining that I still have to rent somewhere to live because my new house is too wet to live in, but the new house isn't built yet and doesn't have a roof yet.

Mmmmmkaayy.

It will be difficult to get to 100% renewable energy. The last 10% will cost a lot of money. But we should absolutely be able to get to 90% carbon neutral energy and only require fossil fuels as backup within 20 years

And that's like saying your new house is still a bit leaky, so you're going to tell your old landlord you'll be squatting in his apartment but only paying for it when you feel like using it. He's going to tell you that you can either keep paying full price regardless of how often you use it, or get stuffed. He can't afford to provide apartments at reduced rates for part time users.

This is one of the biggest holes in the economic argument for renewables.

Is that not the same thing? Granted they're comparing to a fictional situation (0% wind, with 34% directly replaced by gas), but in that context it did reduce our total energy cost by 2billion.

If I go to lidl and get my milk for E2, I would still say i saved compared to getting that milk for e2.5 in dunnes. Even if I never went to dunnes in the 1st place.

Multiquote doesn't work on new boards.ie at all. Ugh

The argument for renewable comes around the marginal costs per MWh though, so for every MWh produced from the wind, you burn less gas from our reserves/pipeline. Its not about assets being tied up like the apartment rental analogy.

Further controls on waste and environmental protections due to it, coming down from the EU

On Tuesday, Parliament adopted its negotiating position for talks with EU governments on a new law to revise EU procedures and control measures for waste shipments.

The revised legislation should protect the environment and human health more effectively, while taking full advantage of the opportunities provided by waste to achieve the EU’s goals of a circular and zero-pollution economy.

With the adopted text, MEPs support explicitly banning shipments of all wastes destined for disposal within the EU, except if authorised in limited and well-justified cases. EU exports of hazardous waste to non-OECD countries would also be prohibited.

Exporting non-hazardous waste for recovery would be allowed only to those non-OECD countries that give their consent and demonstrate their ability to treat this waste sustainably. MEPs also want to ban the export of plastic waste to non-OECD countries and to phase out its export to OECD countries within four years.

Parliament calls for the creation of an EU risk-based targeting mechanism to guide EU countries that carry out inspections to prevent and detect illegal shipments of waste.

Additional details of Parliament’s proposed measures are available here.

Following the plenary debate on Monday evening, the report was adopted Tuesday with 594 votes in favour, 5 against and 43 abstentions.

We'd better get started now so

We have known for 20 years that the costs of not acting on climate change are much higher than the cost to get carbon neutral

Let's look at the actual "costs" and not some fictional depiction.

First up, the world is getting greener, partly due to increased CO2 in the atmosphere.

Crop yeilds are increasing due to better farming techniques, more CO2 for plants, and better fertilizers.

We've never been safer from climate related deaths

We've lifted more people out of absolute poverty since 1990 than all of human history combined

Now, tell me again how we are doing such a terrible job? It's incredibly dishonest to claim green policies are here to save us all from doom while completely ignoring the incredible human achievements that have occurred in recent times, thanks in main to cheap reliable energy.

We already have 'peaker plants' that are turned off most of the time and only switch on when they are needed

Any system, including Nuclear, needs some level of backup.

If we can reduce emissions by 90% within 20 years we are at a much lower risk of setting off cascading tipping points

Climate tipping points are things we want to be messing around with. Once they are breached, there is no going back in human timescales

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03595-0

• Advertisement

Wonderful to see, as a leisure tool they are handy for young families. It's also get to see the EU getting tough on recycling but we need to do much better right across the board particularly with manufacturers design goods that can't be fixed. It's a massive problem.

No argument on the recycling/circular economy

As for cargo bikes being for leisure, sure they can be, same as any bike, but the typical use would be day to day living, same as any bike

I love cycling and would use my bike a lot more if it wasn't for the fact there's a high probability it would be stolen if I left it locked in the city centre somewhere. I've lost count of the amount of wheels and saddles I've had stolen and at least one bike. Unless I'm traveling somewhere with secure lockups or a round trip to my house I tend to leave it at home. It's an awful shame that bike theft is seen as normal in this country with absolutely nothing done about it.

The Potsdam institute of climate alarm (Stefan Rahmstorf, Hans Joachim Schellnhuber and Johan Rockström) spreading tipping points misinformation. Those pushing climate tipping points are evil.  They know that the effects of climate change are modest.  However, people aren’t sufficiently motivated to take the actions the catastrophists want.  Therefore they have decided to scare the population, with an impending, terrifying precipice of climate change plus they need funding from the German government. This cannot be ethical, it's not based on science and left unchallenged they are causing vulnerable people psychological harm and pushing governments to make poor decisions.

Think about it, really complex systems with huge numbers of interconnected variables, like the climate, a modest change in one single variable of median importance cannot cause more than a minor ripple. This is fundamental. Were tipping points real, then complex systems couldn’t exist because even slight deviations would plunge them into terminal conditions and life could never have evolved on earth with such an unstable foundation. The planet is just not that fragile.

Be careful what you take as gospel.

That paper is full of could, may, might, probably, and all sorts of qualifying statements.

Let's take a look at the section on coral reefs.

This is one example whereby scaremongering around tipping points and cascade effects is based on nothing more than supposition and guesswork. But but but the models, IPCC, politicians, the consensus, tells us were doomed. Real world data is telling us a different story and I know which one I'm going to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 LaoisWeather

Former mayor of Dublin and Green Party councillor Hazel Chu said she supports the tax and the plan is supported by a number of councillors.

Speaking on the same programme, Mr O'Donovan said: "Dublin councillors are removed from the reality of the costs associated with visiting Dublin, it’s hugely expensive.

From: https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2023/0117/1349149-hotel-tax/

Donovan was right to stick it to her. Hotels guests are already generating north of €35m in tax for the council, but typical of green policies - more tax is still needed.

I'm not sure you're getting it. It didn't save the consumer a red cent. It shifted 2 billion spent on gas-powered electricity to 2 billion spent on wind-powered electricity. The cost to the consumer is the same whether it's gas or wind power. (To use your analogy, milk in Lidl costs the same as milk in Dunnes).

I do get it.

if we didn’t have wind, more gas plants would have been needed, and at that the more expensive ones too. this would have brought the strike price up even higher, so all kWh on the grid would have been more expensive. The bid in for I SEM price for wind is very low, so the more we have, the less higher priced gas we need, so the last generator through the gate so to speak will bring a lower strike price bringing lower electricity to the market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

You fail to take in account development made in cleaner use of hydrocarbons. They beat even hydrogen by far.

Advertisement