Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow - How's the commute ? Whats it like ?

Options
  • 29-11-2022 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Hi All,

Considering the move to Arklow in the near future - currently working in Carrick mines and living in Cherrywood but my lease is coming to an end. Id be looking to buy in around fernhill.

I would be commuting up Tuesday to Saturday.

Anyone doing similar commute ?

also what is fernhill like as a place to live?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• I wouldn’t be a huge fan of arklow. It’s just run down looking and not a lot going on. If affordable (and available) I’d look towards the likes of Gorey as the commute to Dublin is handy enough with the bypass or if Wicklow is you’re fixation, maybe blessington or something.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Arklow is bad enough a drive, but Goery is too far to commute daily in my opinion.

• Hardly with the motorway? My apple maps say 1hr 5min Arklow to Dublin & 1hr 10 from Gorey.

if I had to drive 5 extra mins over living in arklow I’d take that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In reality it won't be an extra 5 min, but I agree the motorway helps a lot.

However this will put tremendous mileage up on a car. It is around 120 km from Arklow to Carrigmines (where the OP works). If working in Goery this will add on another 32 km.

Each to their own but for me this is too many miles to do regularly.

• I get that but at the same time work isn’t 24/7 365 and I just don’t think living in Arklow is better than Gorey for the sake of an extra 15~ mins real world.

Yes it’s more km per journey but im just thinking outside of work, weekends, annual leave, etc! Arklow is just a depressing hole.

• Advertisement
Advertisement