Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Updated January Fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fair play to the young lads and Keita gave everything, kept it compact. Surprising result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Not top drawer stuff but a vast improvement on recent form.

We need to get back to our pressing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

So what midfield do we go with for Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Missed it but fine result, I'll have PTSD going back to AMEX tho.

Fabinho, Bajcetic, Thiago, Keita, Milner, Henderson and Henderson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So another crack at Brighton😬😬😬

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We won. We scored first. We kept a clean sheet. Kelleher looked cool and composed throughout - especially with the ball at his feet. We've definitely found a new midfielder who will get a lot of gametime even this season. Elliott has a good shot on him.

There are negatives of course, that will no doubt be discussed. Gakpo got one cross into him all game and was on his own for much of it which is not exactly ideal. I would like to see him when we have a more attack minded team. But I'm happy to take the win from a very tricky away game and look forward to what we can muster for Chelsea.

• Advertisement

Elliott is not a midfield player he needs to be played wide where he has that freedom to link up with midfield that is his strength. He's a really tidy player, works hard and isn't afraid to take on a player. He's only 19 I still see him with a big future at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Not going to pretend it was world class, but the lads looked organised and had a clear idea of what they wanted to do and the press was back up until the last 20 - 25 minutes. Can't say that for most of the season.

The big thing I took from it is that if players are motivated, confident and clear on their instructions they can still do an effective press without needing to run about the place like mad yokes. Bajcetic didn't cover every blade of grass, he just made intelligent decisions about when to engage and when not to. Fabinho should be well able to do that. (For clarity, I want Bajcetic to start at the weekend, cos Fabs' confidence is shot. But it's not a case that he's finished at 29) Likewise Keita didn't go through an amount of running that's beyond Henderson, even at 32. And Thiago was in the team. So the "we don't have the legs to press anymore" argument can be retired imo.

We absolutely should be able to play with that level of application and aggression every week. Then with the extra quality from the likes of TAA, Nunez, Salah and Robbo in the side that didn't start tonight, we should get our confidence back and be close to ourselves again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

I really wasn't being serious but I am glad at a clean sheet.

We owe Brighton now too. So looking forward to the next round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd be fairly critical of him the last while, but I thought Gomez was good tonight in fairness. Was clued in, and we looked weaker when he was moved out of CB - his deflection on that close on header was critical.

Fair play and credit where it's due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The pressing issues aren't "they're all unable to press now", it's that the team as a whole aren't able to play the press with the 'first choice' guys.

It doesn't really matter if Hendo individually can still do his part - he can only do his part if all the other guys around him are also able to do the part. Fabinho alone I think has had a massively negative impact - it's one player who will never sprint into an interception or block. Add Ox and Trent and a few others doing similar more often than not, and the whole thing becomes impossible.

Watch the difference in Thiago tonight and last week - when other people also run around him, he does the running he needs to as well. But if they're not, like the first 70 minutes last weekend, his running becomes pointless since the team as a whole are not doing it, so he stops. Pressing is an all or nothing business.

Elliott was immense tonight - but his game was improved by those around him also running. So so many times tonight he pressed hard, didn't win the ball, but the next Wolves player messed up their pass because of the continuous pressure. In other games this year, he makes that first press, but the second player who receives the ball ends up with too much time and Elliott's running is rendered pointless. Tonight everyone else ran too, so his pressing was far more effective. As you say, it doesn't need everyone running like maniacs, but it does need a certain amount of running from everyone, which has been lacking from a few key culprits which scuppers the rest.

Would love to see Bajcetic, Naby, Elliott, and then one of Hendo and Thiago in a midfield 4, behind Salah and Nunez up front. Elliott in a similar role to tonight, defending on the front foot, but also off the forwards to link the attack or recycle passes to uncoming midfielders.

I know! 😊

I'm not looking forward to Brighton. They are a step up from Wolves. But at least the win tonight might bring some confidence back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This was a great performance, one we all wanted, score one, and control game. We have the means to do this week in week out. No need for the kamikaze approach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Imo moving away from the three central midfielder system we had has contributed in a big way to our struggles. Whilst we might often nominally line up with a midfield three, one of them, usually the right sided center mid, does a lot more roaming about, pulling wide and getting forward than previously and that leaves the other two effectively covering the space that used to be covered by three. Now that started happening before this season, but the implementation has been more extreme this season.

Then there's also been games where Elliot's been an outright right sided midfielder, others where we've set up in a diamond, and then against Brighton Thiago was at #10, with Fabs & Hendo as defensive midfielders and a massive gap between them. In particular Fabinho's been completely unable to adapt to these changes. Remember he primarily played right back before joining us, so he doesn't have an entire career of experience as a midfielder to call upon. His midfield experience is largely limited to playing as a no. 6 with two midfielders around him to help cover spaces with us, and I think his confidence has been shot to bits as a result of being moved out of that system.

I think, especially after reverting to a more standard midfield three working tonight, we need to stick with that rather than tinkering with it further. Elliot deserves to play, but I think it'd be self defeating to change the system again to try and accommodate him. Put him in a front three with Salah and Nunez (or Gapko if Nunez isn't fit) at the weekend. They can start with Elliot right, Salah through the middle and Nunez from the left and swap about during the game.

Purely in terms of personnel, having Bajcetic made a difference because he's young, confident and fearless whereas, as above, Fabs' confidence is gone. And I think Gomez' extra little bit pace vs. Matip made a difference as well cos the defence was more willing to push up with the press, which in turn allowed the midfield to get closer to the forwards. I'd retain those two as well as Elliot, but otherwise I don't see a good reason why the first choice players shouldn't be able to repeat the performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This new fvckin boards 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Apparently that's Elliots 5th man of the match award for us this season. Some going for a lad of 19 playing in a team that's all over the shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Unfortunately there's a lot more than Fab's confidence that's gone. He literally just can't run, so no matter what role he's in, he's incapable of doing it. I genuinely have no idea when last we saw him sprint - which is a shocking dip from him, considering the power he used to carry in his runs. As you say, he used to be a fullback, with gallops up the wing being one of his trademarks. Now the most we ever see is a hunched over trot. When one of the midfielders is playing like that, any other plans for a higher intensity game go out the window,.

There's a lot of formational stuff we could do - but first and foremost the selected players need to be able to physically impose themselves on the game, which guys like Fab and Ox - for whatever reason - are no longer doing. Trent is one who really holds back on his running when the rest of the team aren't on it, so he needs a bit of a pep talk to get him doing things with intensity again too, to start being a bit of a leader. He's capable of doing it, but seems to fall back into whatever the mood of the team around him is. if they're lethargic, he will be too - in contrast to someone like Milner who will at least try to drag others around him up a level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Not bad for a 2 left footed useless lad who couldn't run to save his life.......

According to some.

Could Elliots future be as the next Firminho in the false 9? He is completely wasted as just a work horse on the right who's main responsibility is to cover Trent. He's also not that type of player as his natural instinct will always be to go forward, not the ideal type of player you want covering a free roaming fullback!!

Fab was truly awful for his 20 odd minute cameo! I really don't know what has gone on with him, form obviously comes and goes but it's more than that. He is unable to break anything more than a gentle stride. He simply cannot be starting anymore!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

In particular Fabinho's been completely unable to adapt to these changes. Remember he primarily played right back before joining us, so he doesn't have an entire career of experience as a midfielder to call upon. His midfield experience is largely limited to playing as a no. 6 with two midfielders around him to help cover spaces with us, and I think his confidence has been shot to bits as a result of being moved out of that system.

I think your analysis of Fabinho is off. He started his career as a right back but in the 2014/15 season he began the transition to a defensive midfielder at Monaco where he played in a two. He was always a very mobile player but in recent years he has suffered a series of hamstring and thigh muscle issues. He broke down with three injuries in the 2020/21 season when he was overplayed and it happened again at the end of last season.

He hasn't been the same player since the 20/21 season and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that he has been managing some muscle issue since that period. Henderson and Thiago have both been guilty of declaring themselves fit to play when they have been carrying an injury which subsequently lead to a drop in their performance levels and further injury. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that Fabinho would behave the same way.

Fabinho's injuries could have been prevented if there was an extra able body to rotate in midfield. It has been a failure of Klopp's management style that first eleven players would not be properly rotated to keep them fresh. We began to see some rotation of the midfield players (Fabinho, Henderson, Keita & Thiago) in the second half of last season, Jones got a few cameo appearances and Oxlade-Chamberlain was ignored after the transfer window closed.

Keita is now back from injury and available for rotation. Coincidentally the midfield was more solid with him present in the second half against Brentford, porous without him against Brighton and solid against Wolves with him starting. Last night was his first 90 minute game this season, so we probably won't see him for the Chelsea game, but he should be available for Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

The Southampton game was the only game that I can remember Fab being good in this season. Crazy considering how much we relied on him during the injury plagued season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

"a hunched over trot" is a new one for me! But it's scarily accurate.

He seems to be chasing shadows a lot, and that slow turn around to job towards the play behind him after being taken out of the game is a sorry sight these days.

Out of sheer interest, I'd love to see him play a few games in the Man City midfield with Silva & KDB or in Arsenal's midfield with Odegaard and Xhaka/Partey beside him. Just to see how he fares out in a midfield/team with more energy. Are his weaknesses being over-exposed by Henderson's lag of legs in front of him and to a degree Thiago but Thiago is able to get around at the same time. Or is it that his injuries have caught up with him, and taken a yard away from a player that wasn't exactly blessed with pace in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I don't think he's going to make it at Liverpool.

I'd love to see it but Klopp would hardly start Bajcetic again on Saturday, he's only back from injury and played nearly 90 mins last night. It was only wolves but that gave us something to build on again, so I'm a bit optimistic this morning.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Elliot played well last night but not sure how anyone could give him MOM over Bajcetic or Naby both where splendid

I think last night we saw Klopp make a good tactically change for the first time in a long time it was clearly more of a old school 4 5 1 formation , The two wide men tucked in a lot deeper than we are used to seeing with in our normal 4 3 3 ,

It allowed our CM to make more forward run than usual , For Elliot's goal Naby was the one pulling the CB away from Elliot into the box,

Also lets not forget Wolves rested a fair few normal starting 11 players ,I think calls for Elliot & Bajcetic to start at home to Chelsea may be premature., It'll be a completely different game ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Can we forget about him he wanted to go so goodbye

You could take Carragher down from the commentary box and start him as a DM instead of Fab this weekend and it would be a marked improvement. Fab is currently unable to run, turn or tackle and has offered absolutely noting to the cause in months so I don't know how playing Bajcetic over him could be any worse!

Elliot scored, was the main focal point for anything decent we created going forward. We would have been absolutely toothless without him. On top of that he won the most amount of tackles and had the highest passer rating outside of our keeper and centerbacks. He was comfortably the best player on the pitch...

Where did you get the stats from ?

Not saying there incorrect or anything would just like a look at them ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

You answered the Elliot post with stats,

So here goes abs is our 10 best player this season on stats ratings , only Thiago is ahead of him out of our midfielders

So do stat matter to you or do they not in Fabs case ?

Pearce reporting it increasingly likely FSG sell a stake in the club than a full sale. I have to say that's good news, FSG + investment would be the ideal scenario.

• Advertisement

Said this about Bajcetic a few weeks ago and he's not put a foot wrong yet, only criticism is that he can't seem to sustain his performance for a full 90 but that'll come with consistent playing time.

Saw this news on the Liverpool subreddit and everyone is up in arms about how it means we won't have hundreds of millions to spend in the summer, I swear some people care more about the transfer window than the actual season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'd like us to try a midfield diamond with Henderson at the base, maybe Thiago and Kieta left and right and play Elliott at the point with Salah and Nunez in front. If Kieta reverts back to being shite then push up TAA and put Gomez at RB.

Im not sure how that would lead to more of a transfer budget ?

Surely someone buying just a stake would be in it for financial gain so two FSG rather than one ,

We had been a brilliant run club but there comes a time where funds are needed to keep going & the next step in sixzing up the club comes,

The big worry is what's going on behind closed doors, our old Transfer team is in tatter & numerous higher levle guys behind the scene are leaving ,No smoke without fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Great result and unexpected, should give the team a much needed confidence boost, a decent performance, a lot more energy in the team and looked more solid. It wasn't, a great performance, but, much improved on anything we've seen recently, at least it's something we can build on. Fabinho should be left on the bench for a while as he seems to be operating in slow motion this season in particular. Hopefully it lifts the mood around the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

Not that there’s anything wrong Ali, but ya know, stats etc……😜😜

https://twitter.com/anythinglfc_/status/1615716175828090883?s=46&t=PS_7b-KQ28aRIPA80SCRqg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He's be a great keeper if he could save shots apparently.

We are truly blessed to have a keeper as good as him as our number 2, especially when you see the likes of Spurs having to put up with Lloris as their number 1. I doubt we will be able to hold onto him for much longer but you can be sure whoever replaces him will not be as good.

All keepers make mistakes and have their faults but few seem as comfortable as he is, especially under pressure or when the ball is at his feet.

Sure Kelleher is still younger than Alisson was when he first came to Europe, if we can show him a clear path to the #1 spot over the coming years he might be happy to stay.

Hopefully but I thought not playing him v Wolves the first time was a misteake. He should be given all League and FA Cup games automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Klopp rates him highly. That's enough for me but I think Spurs could come calling for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kelleher is comfortably the best backup keeper we’ve had in recent years, and I’d rank him higher than a couple of first choice keepers we’ve had over the last couple of decades as well. This mad notion that he can’t make saves would be quickly dispelled if those posters watched three games; home to Ajax in December 2020, away to Arsenal in the league cup last January, and the league cup final against Chelsea (the game itself, not the shootout).

That’s without giving it much thought. I’m certain I could list a good few more if I could be arsed doing the work.

I’d love to see him stay and learn from Alisson and the coaches so he can succeed him one day, but in all honesty, Ali looks like he’ll still be world class at 40 because his positioning and shot recognition/decision making is out of this world, and those qualities generally don’t suffer with age and a loss of athleticism.

Kelleher obviously isn’t as good as Alisson, but at the same time, he’s far too good to loan out and not have him available for any potential injuries to Ali.

• Advertisement
Advertisement