Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social housing in the estate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It really doesn't matter where they are in the estate. If there are troublemakers (owners/private rental tenants/council tenants) in the estate you'll know about it. But like I said, it's easier to get rid of social housing tenants. We did here. Owner occupiers that are trouble are ten times the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

OP if you buy anywhere old or new there is social housing, its strange your sort of fear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

OP if you go onto the planning portal and read though the documents for your estate there will normally be one site plan drawing showing which houses are going to be Part 5 or Part V, developers need to tell the council this to get planning but this will only layout the minimum required social housing, nothing to stop the council buying up another 50% of the houses if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Red Albey

Thank you. Can you please share the link to that portal.

I was checking kildare.ie portal but couldn't find them.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

Not in this sub section of boards. Bunch of swatters with their notions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

just seen article online from 2021 - Law change to make 20% of units in new developments affordable or social homes - anybody know if this went through?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If it means there's any benefit to the normal hard working person and I haven't looked it up but you can be guaranteed 100% NO

Yeah it already came into force but wont be seen in new developments for a while:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I grew up in social housing (council estate) and I think people are right to be worried about the level of social housing in an estate. Most of the people in the estate were decent people. I would say about 5% of the houses in the estate were very problematic, there was a further certain percentage who were not as bad but could also cause problems. They made everyone else's life a misery. But not at the beginning, I think that is what many here are possibly misunderstanding.

It is not as such the high level dramatic stuff, it is the small things when the kids get a bit older. As some here have mentioned, it is very difficult to evict families if they are in a council house, no matter the trouble they cause in the estate. If kids are continuously throwing stones at your window or scratching the car and the parents don't care, what do you think happens? Nothing. There is literally nothing you can do if you are being targeted by the kids in the estate.

Over the years some families were doing a lot better than others and this is where the resentment starts to come in. If someone got a new car, there would be stones thrown at it, that type of thing. After I left at around 19, my parents moved out a couple of years later as there was no peace in the estate. I would imagine this situation would be even worse in a mixed private and social estate, where the gap between have and have-not will be greater. Of course, you won't see any of this for more than 10 years.

It really depends on who they move into the estate, is it a lot of people who are not working? Who is getting prioritised for social housing? In theory it could work, if problem families had to face consequences for their own and their children's behaviour, but it's Ireland, they don't and they never will. It is also true that you could have a bad private neighbour, but it is much less likely. I think people use this as a coping mechanism as they have no control over the social housing situation in the estate.

There seems to be a big issue as we have moved away from council houses in the traditional sense to the current social housing, its only when I've been looking to buy my own home and you look around on the land registry that you can see the massive volume of old council houses throughout our towns and cities but these were affordable homes for working people who were paying rent with the option to buyout the home at a reduced price after a few years, this meant they considered that house their home for life and were fully invested in maintaining the house and their neighborhood to a high standard as any homeowner would and these were nice places to live with decent hardworking people.

Nowadays too much of the housing is going to lifetime dole'ers who don't give two sh#ts and just want to sponge as much money from the government as possible while being rewarded for knocking out as many kids as possible who will take after them and the governments policy is to land them in with massively stressed couples mortgaged up to their eyeballs in a new estate who can't afford to have kids, of course its a recipe for disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

There were plenty of people in what you call traditional council houses who couldn't be bothered looking after the area. There were some "lifetime dole'ers" in the 80's and 90's too, but I think it would not have been anything like the level we have now. It was also very much looked down on, I don't know if you can say the same now.

Anyway, it was just my 2 cents. I think a lot of the posters on here are fairly naive about what can happen.When I lived there, if there were kids outside throwing things I would go out and chase them away (as a teenager). I am not sure if the innocent little lambs, with their middle class upbringing, would be happy sending their teenage son out.

As a general rule, try to avoid being near somewhere that kids would naturally hang around, like a lane way, or end house with a small wall and you will probably save yourself some bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think its a fantastic idea to have 10% of houses in estate for social housing ,

The biggest plus is kids from poorer families get to grow up around kids from more well off families & become friends,

When you had the old school council estates the kids to often never left there area & only grew up around poorer families & knew nothing else ,Lots of families had issues like addiction & bad behaviour & so on ,so the kids never broke that cycle & ended up with that benefits mindset for life as that's all the knew, , Not all of course but you get hat i'm saying ,

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Any new build estate over a certain number of houses will have a number of social housing units allocated. You also don't know then if the council is going to jump in and try and get a few more of these units. 20 percent now going to be the minimum standard, absolute farce. My advice to anyone asking is always to avoid these new estates because of the risk involved.

I'd avoid new build estates in general, not just because of this issue, but all these new build estates are going to have gangs of teenagers running around in 15 years because everyone in them is at similar ages and similar parts of their life cycle. Even the ones from better behaved families are going to be up to no good given the huge group of them that will exist.

Better to look at a mature estate with drastically different ages, with more staggered development of families.

Avoid any houses near any obvious congregating areas. Make multiple visits at night before you buy, especially on weekends.

You essentially have to be unemployed to be under the income limit for social housing, as two adults on minimum wage anywhere in Ireland has you over the income limit. So this misconception about modern social housing applicants being these hard working unlucky sorts is just nonsense.

So you're going to very likely be living next to a lifetime doler, with tons of children. Those children are going to get older and become teenagers. Teenagers are trouble, children of lifetime dolers are a whole other breed of trouble. And that's before you consider some other people that you could be living beside.

Social housing tenants are infact very hard to evict, because if they are somehow thrown out, the council still has the burden of housing them, so the councils don't want to know. They just don't care.

Of course you could get a decent social housing tenant, but, one thing you know is that if you buy beside another legitimate buyer, they at least had to work hard to get the money to get the property, and should take some pride in it given they actually own it. If you ever try to sell your property and your neighbour has a broken down car and weeds all over the lawn potential buyers will run a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The alternative is ghettos and deprived areas like have been created previously. Plenty of decent people that can't shake off an address

Sure, I understand it from the other perspective and I understand there are decent people. However the income limits basically near guarantee a certain profile of social housing applicant in 2023.

Better off taking your chance next to a neighbour who has paid for their house, who has shown an ability to get up 5 days a week early in the morning, work hard and come home. Off course you'll get a few bad apples in that group but far less likely to have them vs the unemployed types waiting for their forever home.

The days of moving up the housing ladder are dying, most people buying now are getting on the ladder and that's that. People have to sacrifice years trying to save for a home, better that they know exactly the situation they are getting into. This is 300,000k + we are talking about, let other people be the virtue signallers and try to improve communities, you make sure you have a house free from trouble for the next 50 years.

Tons of estates where there is barely any to no social housing, given that social housing was traditionally kept together. Sure the council might buy a one off here or there but far better off taking chances in a more mature estate.

Those mature estates will have drastically different age profiles too, which is a huge benefit given there won't be gangs of teenagers taking over the place in 15 years time, there will be enough of a spread in ages that it should remain a relatively quiet place.

20 percent of all estates is an absolute farce too, regardless of anybodies well wishes. Can you imagine being so much of an idiot that you pay 400-500k for a home in a 100 home estate when 20 homes are basically for free to people who don't work with a miniscule rent payment on them?

I guarantee, absolutely guarantee that people moving into these new builds will all be complaining about the social issues in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So many are obsessed with this, the policy will not change so all new housing will have a percentage of social housing so the best option for the poster is to buy a secondhand house.

People living in the real world is it? Which bit of the above was untrue?

10 virtue signalling points to you though!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Which bit was unture?

For one: the bit about people in social housing don't work. There's a few others but i couldn't really be ars*d taking the rest of your diatribe apart

• Advertisement

Social housing applicants in 2023 don't work, in the majority of cases.

How do we know this?

Easy. Income limit for 2 adults in DCC is 37k.

Minimum wage is 11.30. Multiply by 40 (working week), then by 52 (weeks in the year), then by 2 (2 adults). What do we get? 47k. A whole 10k over the income limit! Wow! Would you look at that - 2 adults working full time, both on minimum wage are 10k over the income limit, in the place where the income limit is highest!

Might want to go back to makey-uppey land where all the neighbours are great, nobody has ever had any problem with social housing tenants ever and a person would be silly to even consider the implications of living near social tenants.

What is the obsession with middle aged men these days

Now it's social housing APPLICANTS and the MAJORITY don't work coupled with some makey uppy opinion derived from some weak stats and pure assumption. A bit a convenient goal post moving there to help you maintain your prejudice and to suit your own narrative. And none of which proves you're correct rather just shows more of your bigotry.

I get it, you don't like people in social housing and prefer to label them all as dolers that couldn't be bothered getting off their ars*s. What happened to you to make you this way, some bully from a council house take the pocket money Mummy and Daddy gave you for the tuck shop when you were in short pants?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well the doler doesn't have to be any sort of a bully to taking people's pocket money. They just need to sign on.

There should be decent supports for genuine cases. If we could get rid of the scammers, we could give the others who need the dole and associated supports proper help.

But back on topic, the OP is perfectly entitled to ask a question about what will be a massive investment for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's net income not gross that counts for assessment!

The income limits are there in black and white. The minimum wage is there in black and white. The statistics could not be stronger.

You'll see if you actually read post #46, I specifically referred to social housing applicants and the income limits, in the first paragraph no less. Obviously reading someones posts before responding to them with pie in the sky nonsense is too much for you.

You might also check post #44 where I also refer to social housing applicants and income limits. So you acting like my use of the word applicant is something which has arrived late in the day is absolutely comical, when infact it's you that has demonstrated a clear inability to actually read. Sorry about that. I hear the Gruffalo is a good one when you're starting out learning how to read.

So no goalpost moving whatsoever, which I'm sure you'll be quick to admit.

I also never said I didn't like people in social housing, though feel free to attribute more shite to me seeing as you didn't read any of what I actually wrote. My point was actually quite clear, when you are dealing with sums in the hundreds of thousands, and undoubtedly the single most important purchase of a persons life, you want to minimise the risks involved.

Are all social housing tenants bad, absolutely not. Is there more of a chance of a social housing tenant being bad over an outright owner? Absolutely. So why would a person willingly take the chance with at minimum 10 percent of the estate and soon to be 20 percent of an estate being social. To the betterment of the community and to eliminate ghetto estates? Sure, let the martyrs take the chance while the smart people actually go and look in the more mature estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

“The majority of applicants qualified for social housing each year are unemployed”

https://assets.gov.ie/213189/9a3039aa-e041-40f7-9831-f05d54890ae7.pdf

Page 14, for the hard of hearing, as in hands over their ears shouting la la la …

The Op is entitled to ask a question, that has been answered.......you're not guaranteed good neighbours n matter where you buy.

The other poster doesn't have the right to run down every social housing tenant in their answer to that question.

So not all then, as is the other posters assertion. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

You are right, my apologies.

Which unfortunately changes absolutely nothing. Net income comes in at aprox 20.6 - 20.7k after deductions (x2 = 41k). Still having 2 adults on full time jobs on minimum wage over the income limit in every local authority in Ireland.

Hopefully a significant majority of this housing will be allocated as affordable housing for people who are working but are working these minimum wage and lower paid jobs which would have them over the income limits.

Advertisement