Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

sexton is a very good 10 though whereas russell might be one of the most overrated players of the last few years - he can look like a world beater behind an extremely dominant pack but he is the definition of a 'yeah but can he do it on a rainy night in stoke?'-type of player.

hastings is a very underrated player, not as flashy as russell but he is more likely to actually steer his team to a win.

why klinghorn is being played at 10 is beyond a mystery to me

could easily see ben healy being part of the matchday squads very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Talk of him re-signing for next season. Not sure if official yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yea, The incumbent and their suitors are all a few steps down the ladder in Scotland compared to Ireland. healy is on the Scottish ladder when he couldnt even make the Irish one and whats ahead of him is far more reachable, a decent international career of 30/40 caps is not a pipedream for Ben.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A positive update on Tony Butler on his return from Injury.

This from the latest Academy update.

Tony Butler returned last week and played with Garryowen. He has taken the opportunity while out injured to really apply himself and come back much stronger and more powerful. That’s really what we want when a player is out injured, to focus on something else.

• Advertisement

true but to be honest id have had healy up there for ireland when JS retires too all things considered. crowley could be the answer (and given the situation now i really hope he turns out to be) but hes playing alot at 12 at the moment and con played him at 15 mainly too afaik so the jury is still out on where his best position is for me. not a fan of carbury at 10 personally so id have healy ahead of him definitely and possibly crowley.

im a massive fan of ross byrne tbh, i think hes gotten absolutely shafted since his two starts for ireland were against england away in games where the rest of the team were rubbish too. he might not be the flashiest in attack but with the right players around him things could run like clockwork. obviously the penalty against aus is a recent highlight but he also came on for billy burns against france 2 years ago and nailed an even more difficult kick to keep ireland in the game. he has balls. his brother is made of glass seemingly though

frawley is a possibility but hes more likely to be a 12 - see hawkshaw and forde also

burns/madigan/carty arent realistic at this stage

its a real shame imo, if munster had given healy a proper go and not started carbery everytime he was available i think he could have pushed for an ireland place. all moot now either way and i hope he does well with scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,287 ✭✭✭✭phog

I can understand why some people might prefer one player over another but excluding Sexton two national & 2 provincial coaches have picked Joey ahead of the rest of what's available. I seriously doubt those 4 coaches got it wrong.

Maybe HB, RB, Frawley, Crowley or indeed Ben might come good but none have excelled enough yet to pass Joey out.

tom croft was a test lion......

sometimes coaches get it wrong

sometimes coaches get it wrong

Yes indeed but 4 of them getting it wrong?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He was a test Lion on two tours under two different coaches........

• Advertisement

i think schmidts hand was forced a bit because of the situation with the london irish player who wont be named.

van graan was van graan.....

yep farrell and rowntree are still picking him but i dont really know why tbh personally, i think theres probably an element of having backed him so far theyre stuck with him. i also think him being an automatic starter when available is having him as a ROG/Sexton-level player when he really isnt

but as i said, this is just what i personally think (although im not the only one). id be more than delighted to be proved wrong and for JC to lead munster and ireland to silverware. i just dont see it happening though

Yes, you may be right and the 4 coaches are wrong.

I'm not convinced you're right

hence why i said i personally think

munsters most impressive performance since JC joined was arguably with JJ Hanrahan at 10. carbery played well against a poor gloucester team early on and apart from that i dont think hes delivered in a big game (goalkicking apart). but thats just me and im not picking the team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

This is exactly my opinion too fwiw.

So much invested in Carbery by moving him to Munster to be 10, that it creates a reluctance amongst all coaches in Munster and Ireland to allow him to be usurped.

(and as hinted at earlier, everybody's hand in the Irfu was forced due to certain legal proceedings in the North at the time. Had it not been for that, Carbery would never have found himself as Sexton's understudy. Might still have been moved to Munster tho)

It's just the nature of the professional game. Any player is an asset, an investment. As their coach or mentor you want to see them reach their peak and stay there for as long as possible.

Injuries will halt the return on that investment. But if the investment has been substantial, high profile and prolonged, the powers that be are more likely to double down on it.

That's what's happened with Joey.

Crowley will be the next Munster long-term out half imo. (lack of injury permitting)

We'll all need to be a little bit patient though, and wait for the Carbery shareholders to finally pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

So much invested in Carbery by moving him to Munster to be 10, that it creates a reluctance amongst all coaches in Munster and Ireland to allow him to be usurped.

This argument is massively flawed because it overlooks the 18 months that Carbery missed after the World Cup.

In that time, any of the other guys could have staked a claim but they didn't. Not even close.

Carbery isn't the top class OH we hoped he would be but he's absolutely the best OH that Munster have, and it's up to Crowley now to displace him. JJ and Healy are absolutely light years off the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Fully agree there sexton is so far out in front of any other Irish 10 it’s worrying considering his age …there’s a gap to joey then there a gap back to the rest …Ross Byrne proably leading candidate ….Crowley despite all the talk of him been a 10 has played more top level rugby as a 12 and as mentioned earlier at 15 at ail….

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Crowley looks the part tbf but hard fathom all the people suggesting he is/will be an understudy to sexton now and future Munster 10…..most of his top level rugby is at 12 ….was ok v Australia last autumn but only ok looking any game time he has got at 10 for Munster

• Subscribers Posts: 41,543 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tom croft was a fantastic player who's career was cut short by injury.

There are many many other more applicable players you could have picked to make that point

Today we're delighted to be joined by Irish legend CJ Stander as he takes us through the incredible highs and terrifying lows of his career which took him from Captaining South Africa U20's to becoming a legend in Ireland and Munster. After getting the lads thoughts on the controversial news surrounding Eddie Jones and Dave Rennie and having heard their theories around the England Six Nations squad coming and goings, we're treated to some of the greatest stories you'll ever hear as CJ relives his greatest moments.

From coming out of retirement to play in a charity match and nearly killing one of the opposition, to revealing for the first time why he really retired so young, to reliving the moment he decided he turn his back on South Africa, plus the terrifying moment he nearly killed himself when his BBQ exploded, his thoughts on Leinster, his terrifying school initiation, his stand our Lions memories and two hilarious stories from his early days attempting to settle in at Munster plus much much more.... we've got it all, so sit back and enjoy.

• Advertisement

Sounds excellent, always came across as a very likeable guy.

Always interesting to me too to get the perspectives of the guys who come in from outside to become central players in Irish rugby, and how they contrast and compare Irish rugby to what they've come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There's some absolute bullish desire to make Kinghorn their 10 no matter how awful he is. The edinburgh fans have run out of patience with him finally but he's still a darling of the SRU. Hopefully Healy doesn't fall foul of that like others have.

As an aside thanks to all for answering the Okeke query. Had no idea of any of those shenanigans. Missed it all entirely first time around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I think there's a possibilty that Scotland are going to play a 6-2 bench in the World Cup, and they want Kinghorn to be able to cover out-half.

That's just my sneaky suspicion.

its very hard (nigh on impossible) to stake a realistic claim when carbery gets parachuted straight back into the starting team as soon as he is available. both JJ and healy had shown enough at various stages to warrant keeping the starting jersey and yet carbery would walk straight back into the team - JJ was player of the game against castres at home a few years ago and then gets benched the next week when carbery hasnt played for ages, that doesnt really strike me as picking on merit? .as i've said before, carbery is being made out to be a generational 10 like ROG/sexton when he is simply not, whether this is down to munster coaches or the irfu is unclear (id imagine a combination of both)

as ive also said before, id love for carbery to prove me wrong, but i dont see it happening unfortunately

no ill stick with tom croft tbh, an incredibly overrated player imo

So, just to be clear, you're claiming here that the Munster and Irish coaches, who, incidentally, have far greater access to the players, get all their data, watch them train, know them personally etc, and generally are best placed to judge the players, are deliberately selecting a guy who they think is inferior because of some nefarious conspiracy?

Why?

Why would that possibly be the case? Who's the great schemer behind this, Nucifora? Why would he give a f if Munster and Ireland's second out half is any of Carbery, Crowley or Healy?

Why would coaches, who's own performance, contracts etc are so closely linked to the performance of their out half, not select the guy who they think gives them the best chance to win?

This conspiracy stuff just keeps coming back up every couple of weeks.

no ill stick with tom croft tbh, an incredibly overrated player imo

youve obviously made your mind up, so no real point arguing a subjective opinion, but youll find very, very few people who will agree with you that Tom Croft was an overrated player who didnt deserve to be a B+I lion.

He just has 4 premiership titles to his name, made the short list for World Player of the year in 2009, and has the honour of being the only B+I forward in the professional era to score two tries in a test game.

but yeah.. overrated....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

carbery is being made out to be a generational 10 like ROG/sexton 

What?? By who? Show me one poster, journalist or anyone who's made any such claim.

There is no logical reason why the Munster coaches would have stuck with Carbery after his injury lay-off if he wasn't the best option. The 'sunk cost' theory ceased to be any way plausible then (even though it never was in the first place).

He is first choice, and always has been, because neither JJH nor Healy were good enough. The fact that they're local lads and Carbery is a blow-in doesn't change that.

Absolutely bizarre that after ten years, people are still talking about JJ Hanrahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Wilson is such a pain, Max and Marc are easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

To choose a middle ground, they don’t think he is inferior. They think that when he has sustained periods of health he is the second best outhalf in ireland.

To the average fan though, they see a guy who is average most of the time and gets injured the moment he finds form. I can understand the frustration. Basically, he has provided very little real value to munster over his time there. You pick based on projected value though, so he deserves to get picked.

• Advertisement

I'm not disputing he's been disappointing, compared to the potential he flashed when he first emerged at Leinster.

What I was disputing is that there is some conspiracy at play as to why he keeps getting starts. It's because as disappointing as he's been, the people who know the players best, and who have the most to lose by getting the decision wrong, still think he's the best option.

Advertisement