Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas out of season 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Local cafe....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Christmas Duvet set has been replaced by a non festive set.

All quality street gone and after 2 weeks of WFH I’m back to the office again from tomorrow. I have the post Christmas blues all over again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've a few bits and pieces that need to go into the attic later, but I'm putting it off!

Damn January, I'm sick of being cold and tired all the time. Not to mention there's still nearly another 2 weeks until payday. Waaah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Found a few bits in the kids rooms today, they'll be going into storage later tonight. Think that's the last of it for us this year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Only just noticed there is a rogue snowman sitting on the floor in our living room ha. He is the last of it now..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If the weather gets as cold as it’s set to be this week the Christmas pjs that just came out of my drier will be going back on.

Out for a walk tonight and while I saw outdoor Christmas lights on two houses there’s definitely a sensation of Christmas is a distant memory out there. while last week there was a sensation of people clinging onto Christmas for as long as possible.

I did sneakingly listen to 4 Christmas songs on my walk. Just the ones I added to my Christmas playlist courtesy of ChristmasFM finds as I feel I didn’t get to play them to death like all the other songs on my playlist 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Have house guests coming tomorrow so back up to the attic for OH and I for a few days. Was up earlier tidying up and realised the Christmas duvet cover was still on bed. Decided to leave it on more because didn’t want to have to wash it!

The father in law bought a set of 25 led fairy lights that were too small for what he needed so he gave them to us and they now sit on our shelf just about the tv in the sitting room and they are so festive.

It’s the small things in life some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

I remember my Mother after Christmas in 2020 decided to leave the tree up in her house for the whole year, she decorated it with different lights and decorations to represent different times of the year, Valentines Day, Patricks Day, Easter, Summer, 4th July(even though we have no American connections), Halloween and then back to Christmas again,have to say it was great to see ,the kids and all the neighbours loved it.

Apologies only getting back to this now.

Christmas Podcast I listen to and would recommend are;

Tis The Podcast - Weekly show where the review and discuss Christmas TV Specials or Christmas Movies. The 3 co-hosts have amazing chemistry to the point I tune in to listen to them chat as opposed to the special they're talking about. As it's an American show some of the specials and references don't apply to us.

Christmas Sessions - Seasonal pod that's ended now until Nov-23. Interviews with people about their Christmas memories/experiences, a nice easy listen and surprising alot of similar traditions pop up.

Christmas Morning - Weekly short formatted pod. This pod is a strict format show, Christmas news, tv listings and song battles each week. Similar to Tis the Podcast the chemistry between the 2 co-hosts is great it really is like listening in to two friends chatting. Also similar to Tis The Podcast, it's American so some don't apply to us and completely skip through the TV listings part.

Christmas Past - Seasonal pod runs every Oct-Dec. Pod all about the history of some Christmas traditions. Interesting topics and facts, nice short episodes so easy to listen to and every year they do listeners Christmas Memories stories and they are lovely to listen to.

Can't Wait for Christmas - Monthly pod, new episodes every 25th of the month. For me this was the pod that introduced me to the concept of Christmas Podcasts, while it is fun it's not without it's flaws. It's VERY American and the host can be eye rolling cringy at times but his heart is in the right place and it's clear as day that he loves Christmas.

Merry Britsmas - Monthly pod. This is definitely the one most relevant to us, the host is really nice and has a comforting voice, so an easy listen. Highly recommend.

There are way more out there but these are the ones I find the best/easiest to listen to.

• Advertisement

Couple of new ones for me in that list too. Thanks @Loughc

I listen to Merry little podcast too, but they have only had one episode since 2021 which was in Nov. 22

Weird Christmas podcast is another, but the episodes can be very hit & miss

Tinsel Tunes is a good one for an history of well known christmas songs. Used to be done by a chap in New Zealand but was taken over by two Americans ( Jay & Scott) last year, the original guy (Duane) has come back to co present a couple of episodes before christmas just gone. Not a bad listen though I found the original guy a bit of a bore at times.

Christmas creeps is another I listen oo when I have a chance,this is very much specific to creepy/horror related christmas content but I like it, again some episodes are hit & miss though especially for anyone Europe based.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'm currently catching up on Tinsel tunes myself, only on episode 9 so far, some really interesting stories on the music in there but not feeling it so far.

Its definitely one taken best in small doses. Some songs that I'm not that fussed about I simply bypassed and went to the next one that I did like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

thanks guys, Ill check some of these out this week!

It's also worth notcing one of the american gents now fronting Tinsel tunes Scott also co-hosts Christmas Morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Had some dinner yesterday evening in The Brock at St. Margaret's coming home from Dublin and they have a huge Merry Christmas sign still lit up on the outside of the building and a load of fairy lights all over the outside as well.

Should have took a picture.

Noticed the Clonsilla Inn out in D15 still has all their external christmas lighting still turned on every night. Still 2 houses in our estate the same.

I seen someone on Instagram say he was keeping his external lights on until the end of January. To get his neighbors through the dark month.

no idea what part of Ireland but I appreciate the sentiment all the same. My wife only said last night our estate is so dark without all the lights.

I was genuinely surprised to come across the 2 houses in our estate with their lights still up and turned on yesterday when out for a walk. Don't remember them ever being up this long before.

We still have the lights on the tree in the front garden and put them on every night. Are a couple of others on the road the same. Not full lights however something more then usual. Will probably keep our up till the clock changes.

• Advertisement

I noticed we still have our Christmas door mat outside our front door too... amazed the Mrs hasn't binned that yet!!

Mine is still out as well. Defo needs binning soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭BK5

Ours too. Although the Christmas design is nearly worn off it so I'll leave it there as long as I can. (But I'll know ha ha)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Sure that's the important thing. 😂

I added these songs to my walking playlist the only Christmas songs that get the pleasure to making it on that playlist, I can't begin to describe how happy the song Hey Mister Christmas makes me when it comes on, it's a serious bop.

I do like that Dear Santa by Mr little jeans, added that to my christmas playlist this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Last few days of my tree and decorations. I'll miss them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement