Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar PV battery options

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Could you give me the link to were you can get that dyness battery I have the 5kw one and wouldnt mind another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@jasgrif11 - are you sure you can source a Dyness 5kWh for €1700 incl. VAT and delivery? That is way below market price at the moment. Any link to it?

A Solis Hybrid 5-6kW inverter retails at over €2000 incl VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭jasgrif11

I haven’t dealt with them before by WCCSolar are selling it at this price.

What is the typical price?

Failte don’t list prices online.

Any link for that? Did you check they were in stock? It sounds like a link to a price from a couple of years ago. I see them all the time. I find it very hard to believe someone could sell you a 5kWh pre made battery, even a cheap Chinese clone, for €1700 incl VAT and delivery now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

6.1kwh for €1420 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003764117272.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4a0138da7uOAZQ&mp=1 there ya go 🤣

Curious if anyone bit the bullet on these, it's not a terrible price for pre-built compared to €4400 that those clowns above are charging for a 4.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'll have 4 dyness batteries to sell in the next few months.. not yet.. waiting for some cells to be ordered and arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭idc

I'm sure I was PMing someone before who used this site for comparison to prices installers in ireland are charging for batteries. That dyness battery is here Battery Lithium 5.1kWh Dyness BX51100 48V | WccSolar

That's €2000 shipped from Spain to here. Still not a bad price these days.

The 6kWh is $1808, so €1665, or am I missing something? I know the VAT goes off on checkout, but that would be a risky gamble to presume it won't be charged before delivery in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Yeah I had the currency in euros and it was €1750 or so before vat removal at checkout.

Funny how they even advertise the VAT loophole 🤣

Must be doing same as pwod via Poland etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭johndoe11

What model of dyness are they? I'd be interested in a least one when they are avaliable, if compatible with my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Galego

For anyone interested.

Bricomart has the Pylontech US5000 for 1,600eur VAT included or 1,320eur without.

https://www.bricomart.es/bat-litio-4-8kwh-pylontech-us5000c-48v-25023721.html

Free shipping? I wouldn't think so, those Pylontech weigh a tonne.

4 * A48100. i bought them when installing my system. Overpaid for them (lol) and want to replace with a bigger array of homemade cells.

Yes the shipping costs are added later it seems.

I shipped mine for 75eur. They weigh 40kg so yeap heavy enough :-)

That's very reasonable all the way from Spain to Ireland. So €1675 in total then landed? I'm no fan of the tiny pouch cells that Pylontech use in their packs, but their customer support is good. There's something to say for paying a couple hundred extra over the cheap packs from AliExpress where you will have zero support once the initial dispute window is closed.

I'd prefer other brands that don't use pouch cells though. Basically any brand that is on Will Prowse's channel and has a teardown. That way you can see if they are using calb cells, what wiring is like etc.

Unfortunately for me I paid 250eur more as I bought it at the end of last year when batteries were on the hunt. :-(

Looking back I would have bought myself 2 x Seplos 6.9kw if I could change things......but first year with the system so yet learning as I go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Answering couple of different posters here:

In fairness it’s a lot less money; but a huge additional investment of time and effort to get a DIY battery working and keep it running with no guarantees about the capacity of the battery’s that you are sourcing from a variety of shady Chinese suppliers.

Huawei 10k battery will set you back 7200 that’s with 21% vat paid to a reputable irish supplier.

To the other poster If you’re happy to go with a low voltage battery from some other manufacturers you could get 10kw in the region of 4000-5000 again that’s including vat at 21% from an irish supplier.

6kw solis hybrid is 1600.

6kw huawei hybrid is 1350; just incase your wondering.

both prices including VAT already.

@HotSwap - "Huawei 10k battery will set you back 7200"

I've paid thousands less for my 40kWh DIY battery

And perhaps my CALB cells are not A graded and don't have the full capacity as per the spec sheet, but they are almost certainly better and more rugged than the cells that are in any pre made pack. The ones from reputable makes like Huawei and Pylontech and the likes included. Also 10kWh is like a drop on a hot plate for me, I need 40kWh to do substantial heating of my house with night rate electricity in winter (saving my wallet and the planet) and I need it for being pretty much off grid for several months on end in summer

But yes, for anyone with zero experience with batteries, it is a steep climbing curve. For most of us it is or has turned into an interesting hobby. If you hate the idea of that, then obviously a DIY battery is not for you, but you pay a very steep price and / or end up with a very small battery for going pre made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭yankinlk

What do u big battery lads do about the Gov Grants? Do you cash them out? Im on a 5Kw battery and have a zero bill for the year... do ye use all that grant money and battery and still owe a few sheckels?

A 5kWh battery would likely cover a couple hours of use for me, max. I have 20 kWh and just about cover the day with solar and load shifting in the winter,.

I used 1.1kWh day kWh on average per day on my last bill, so I'm still needing more storage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ive seen the prices; in that regard it’s night and day. I just personally would not feel comfortable buying from a seller that is known to be misleading customers about the capacity of its product. The hobby aspect of it is cool, I would like to do it myself in the future to expand above the 10-15kwh that I have will have; but for the primary storage / emergency backup I'd rather pay for something out of the box. I watch a lot of youtube stuff, and I can see the amount of effort that is required if/when something goes wrong.

There is no longer any grant for battery storage in Ireland, so thats a moot point.

How fast can you charge your 40kwh? It's a savage amount of storage.

I'm fairly sure that I will need to buy an additional 5kwh module to bring me to 15kwh total to be able to get what I want out of it. This would put me nowhere near being able to run a ASHP or infrared panels to heat the home, but for most other general use it will allow me to load shift. I think more panels is what I wanna do next... 7.4Kwp seems small.

@HotSwap - "How fast can you charge your 40kwh? It's a savage amount of storage."

I currently have 30kWh but another sets of cells on the way, should be here some time next month. My current inverter can charge and discharge at 5kW continuous, so even a 40kWh pack can be charged, from empty to full, well within the 9 hour night rate slot

I also have a 58V 3kW rectifier that I plan to connect to the battery, possibly with the AC cable on a smart plug for automation. So that would up my power to 8kW. And I've been trying to get the 9kW version of my inverter. Hope to get that this year. Combined with the rectifier I could then charge the batteries at a whopping 12kW 😎

As you can seem this is in preparation for the inevitable smart meter that will come one day and a dreaded smart meter plan where you will have only very limited slots of very cheap electricity. Maybe no more than 2-3 hours per night

Yeah, I already have a smart meter and moving on the Night Boost plan 12c between 2-4 am. So with 10kWh battery I can charge at 5kwh, its already maxing out my 2 hour slot. That's why I went for 10 not 15 from the get go.

Yeah that is severely limiting. I would be inclined to double the power of my inverter rather than halve the size of my battery though 😁

Should be able to easily do the sums on it though. Chances are that with the insane peak rates that most smart plans come with, that another 10kWh and a beefier inverter could pay for themselves in just a few years. Solar PV / battery is the best possible low risk high (tax free) return investment right now. In particular when you DIY

• Advertisement

Yeah, I did DIY it all; got all the gear for wholesale price. Getting another inverter not possible as then I'm over the 6kva limit on a single phase NC6, and I already have the 6KW version. And I want to keep it all above board. I might do an NC7 which would allow me to have up to 17KVA of inverter capacity, but I'm not wanting to pay the 950 euro application fee they are charging at the moment. I did go this route at our office, but that's not out of my pocket directly.

DIY, so no subsidy, so no inspection? Just make sure you can not export more than 6kW

What rectifier do you have? I've been looking for one to supplement the pathetic 50-75a charging on my 100a Solis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just set one of your inverters to zero export....

Cheap!

Someone in the renewal forum linked to it back in October or so I think. Thought it would be worth a punt. When I bought it, you could only get it when you paid a fairly hefty sum for shipment, but the benefit of that is that I had it very quickly, within one or two weeks iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭randombar

Thinking of picking up another 16 LifePo looks like the price after coupon is €1477,41, not sure if it will get much cheaper than that? What do people think?

Would love to order the longer seplos voltage reading cables too for peace of mind, any idea if you can order just that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭DC999

Afaik Energia's EV tariff has a 3 hour cheap smart tariff window. Not sure who do 'Night Boost' but it's only 2 hours. Don't need an EV it seems.

No grant no. DIY; apart from electrical work done by a registered electrician (just adding a new circuit to the consumer unit and giving me a cert for that).

ESB NC6 form submitted also. So I’m all good for FIT too. No need to get SEAI involved.

Who would be doing an inspection?

EnergiaEV tariff on non smart meters has a 9 hour window. At 7c per kwh for me! 13.75c for new customers

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭smax71

Posted this in the Solar for Dummies thread, along with a couple of queries, but as this is a specific battery thread it might be more appropriate here. I was talking with an installer about installing a 5kwh battery and his strong preference is to install 2x 2.5kwh batteries instead as this would be a more scaleable option allowing increases in 2.5kwh increments in future rather than in 5kwh increments. Dont see the point myself as I would like to increase to 15kwh of battery over next couple of years so end up with 3x5kwh batteries. Is there any disadvantage to going with 2.5 kWh as against 5kwh batteries in this context?

He's talking BS and I'm glad you were not having any of it. It looks like he is trying to get rid of the 2.5kWh batteries (Pylontech US2000, I presume?) he still has in stock as most people now want a 5kWh battery to start with.

• Advertisement

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. It's actually dryness batteries but I think they are pretty similar. He did argue that if was was adding batteries in future, it would be easier to work with lighter 2.5kwh especially as I'm considering putting them on brackets attached to a concrete wall to safe on space. Ultimately however it will, be the same weight per kWh and that's the important metric. Did anyone put batteries on a wall and what kind of brackets did you use? Is it even advisable?

Ok have a 5 kWh dyness mounted on a wall. No issues but installer mounted it. Same as the inverter tbh.

I have 10kWh of huawei on the wall. Used the optional wall bracket they have. I think it’s 6 16mm bolts. It’s solid. Supports up to 15kwh of battery and the controller per bracket. Some of the other manufacturers support wall mounting out of the box.

@yankinlk and @HotSwap

Thanks for advice that manufacturers supply proprietary wall brackets. Will check if Dyness supply them. I was told I'd have to install any brackets myself in advance which of course isnt easy as I wouldn't have battery template to work with. I'll go back on that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Pavlova lova

Can't get anywhere close to that price for 10kw Huawei in Ireland from what I'm looking to buy (midsummer), could you pm supplier if ok? nearest I could get is that Spanish website at €7k delivered

Please do your sums though before anyone buys a 10kWh battery for over €7k. Will it ever pay for itself? As a comparison, a 40kWh DIY battery of superior CALB cells cost a bit over €5k if bought today

@Pavlova lova €7287.75 - From midsummer.ie including VAT and delivered. The prices they display publicly are inflated. You need to contact them and setup an installer account to see the real price.

@unkel the value for money is unquestionably better with DIY; it’s just that it’s beyond most people in terms of time and effort. I got my 10k huawei battery for 6500 (before recent price hikes). I’m satisfied I can hit 5-6Y ROI with my setup. I did DIY install all the gear; so I didn’t pay anything extra over the wholesale price which helps.

@HotSwap - 5-6 years is of course very good for any PV payback, in particular for a battery and especially for an expensive battery (per kWh). Care to share your sums?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭oaklands

I have been looking at the PWOD site just now checking prices and the best I have seen so far for 4x16x200aH Calb is €5885.92 at checkout. Actually I only priced for 16x (@ €1471.48). On these ones the comments indicated in one case 130aH vs nominal 200aH. The more expensive Calb from PWOD quotes a nominal 190-200aH....although I supect they do not actually measure the capacity at all. Their grading of 'A', 'Brand New' or 'no grade' seems to to be ad-hoc at best.

Is there another link or discount code to get closer to €5k or is it only during a sale? Is there any method to deciphering their system at all?

In case it of any use to others....here is a spread-sheat of my efforts so far on pricing with PWOD.

That's before they take the VAT off. I ordered some more last week and I paid €1300 delivered for 16 200Ah cells (10kWh). PWOD too. Ships from China to Poland, then to Ireland (via France). No VAT is charged when it comes into Ireland as presumably it should have been paid upon entry into the EU. We've all been using this route for years. This is my 5th shipment of CALBS from PWOD since 2020.

• Advertisement
Advertisement