Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Knauf & the Sussex's discussed the book. Not the Sussex's and Scobie. The Sussex's have no idea what Knauf told Scobie. The brief they gave Knauf was to clear up any background information so that it was accurate.

It would have been in Knauf's interests to say that they had been given security training since that would have been part of his job to arrange it.

Edit: By the way, the Washington Post is just another rightwing magazine that doesn't believe in climate change and perpetuates falsehoods in their anti-immigration, racist rag. For example, they were one of the outlets that published an article claiming that there were prayer rugs* scattered all over the southern US border, which of course was a lie.

*prayer rugs = code for muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

No, just another right wing magazine having a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

A recent example for the scale , Eamonn Ryan - pathetic. Eamonn Ryan with a pedalling protection officer - beyond pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I finally finished the book (pdf version sent by my sister). I think I get his point of view now (although I don't agree with it). He is on a mission to save the monarchy from the press, at least in this latest iteration of his explanations, which seem to keep changing. It must be exhausting being him. At least now he seems to have a mission, which might sustain him throughout the next few decades, because I get strong vibes that he is quite unwell mentally and cannot let even the slighting thing go which does not bode well for him. I personally think his biggest role will be a father to his kids, if he can do that and not have them hate or resent him for giving up their "birth right" so to speak, or leaving them without any close family relatives that they are in contact with, then he will have done well. As for Meghan, I don't think anything really at this point. She is what she is. If she writes her own version of those few years I think it will be dragging out a one trick pony that has already been flogged to death. I look forward to this thread closing down so I am not tempted to keep checking in :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I didn’t read the book but pretty much came to the same conclusion after reading a lot of content and commentary online- like you, I somewhat now understand where he’s coming from - the book title kindof gives it away - he doesn’t feel like a proper human being surrounded by a gilded cage of a fishbowl for most of his life- through therapy he’s seeing the world through a new lens- so far fair enough and good on him- except now he wants everyone else to do he same in terms of the RF- that’s where it becomes somewhat pathetic and he becomes quite annoying.

I like the comment about the thread BTW😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

On this, Daniel Hannan really is a dope. The rise of his "star" to being a mouthpiece for Brexit and his continuing right wing bolloxology really does illustrate that how rather than what you know still matters most in Britain.

The best description I've yet seen of this clown? Is that he is never knowingly correct about anything. A poor politician, a poor student of history and bloviator akin to Boris when comes to political BS. A man who thinks that trade with the rest of the world on WTO rules was better than Britain in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A key theme of his book is that he is extremely unhappy with the RF's enmeshed relationship with the toxic English press. I suppose though that Charles and William are realistic in thinking that if they pushed them away forever, those guys would immediately respond by attempting to bring down the monarchy (you can imagine all the "Is the Royal Family getting too big for its boots? and "Has the Monarchy outlived its purpose?" headlines).

So there is a clash of styles and beliefs - Harry is the naïve idealist and William and Charles are the realists and pragmatists (in thinking "yes, the tabloid editors are nasty scumbags, but we have no choice but to play along with them").

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You can take on city hall if that’s what rocks your boat but really you need to at least see an outside chance of victory- without King Charles’ support, (I.e the head of the monarchy and RF) Harry doesn’t have a hope in hell of changing anything - can he not see that?

Also his quote around William making it clear that William and Kate’s children were not his responsibility, was a bit creepy if I’m honest- talk about sticking your nose in where it shouldn’t be in the first place.

• Advertisement

You can definitely argue that Harry is very naïve in thinking he can rock the system and bring down the press. The press guys are extremely powerful and practically seem to be in control of the UK Tory government, so achieving a victory over them would be a real longshot.

William is probably just being sensible and a realist in thinking he has no choice but to play along in order for the monarchy to survive and he eventually to become King. Harry is a dreamer and an idealist with fancy notions about he and Meghan can change the world. Yes, the English right wing conservative press (and those media grifters like Clarkson and Morgan) are the lowest of the low, but you have to choose your battles carefully.

Its also a moving target. Its a "crusade" with no finish line. The phone hacking case he is part of with some other celebrities might be one victory if they can prove their case (which is doubtful, unless they actually have proof, and not Harry's usual claims of things with no specifics). But even then one small victory which sends some unscrupulous journalists or paps to jail for historic crimes (it could be claimed its all been cleaned up since) is not an overarching victory over the tabloid press which will continue to splash every small detail about their lives on the front pages as long as it sells. Charles and William don't need that hassle in their lives, they actually live in the UK and need the tabloid press on side to a certain extent. Its been explained ad nauseum over the past few months, it is what it is because it needs to be. If you poke the bear it will turn around and roar which is exactly what has happened to H&M. The best way to stay off the front pages is to stop feeding it. But I don't think they want to stay off the front pages. They just want to control the narrative. And that's why I don't agree with Harry and they are viewed as hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

The irony is that what has propelled his book to become the fastest selling non-fiction book in history (and makes millions) is the exact same fuel which motivates tabloids to drudge up material for stories and to seek out scoops (and make them millions). People love gossip, love rubbernecking etc. There is a market for that and there will always be a market for that despite a determination to change things. Conflict is a major fuel as well. Just look at the mileage Depp v Heard and Wagatha Christe got. They need a reaction from the palace/family but they are wise to the media and won't respond.

His publishers giving him such a deal was predicated on that market delivering which it clearly has. Harry might think he is out of the loop and is given space to deliver his side of things but it is throwing petrol on the tabloid fire he purports to despise and wants to be held accountable e.g. People pointing to the Daily Mail having twenty articles about them but without realising that the sheer number of such articles is only that high because it coincides with something major from their end. Like the release of a memoir, like saying in interviews that you had double the material etc. Without a serve and return like conflict with his family there is no fuel to sustain interest i.e. little interest in their charity endeavours, appearances, non RF briefings.

Along the same lines, Harry claimed in the Stephen Colbert interview that the most damaging thing to be reported from his book, ie his own words, was the spin the media put on the infamous 25 kills. So what he appears to want is to dictate how his words are being understood by whoever reads them. Sure there were some screaming headlines, but there were also many non tabloid news outlets who reported the words, factually and many people who interpreted them negatively, including myself. If he is worried about being mis interpreted then the obvious approach would be to think twice before saying something so contraversial. But in typical Harry mode, its everyone elses fault for mis interpreting what he said. That is the level of control he wants over his own story which is bonkers. He demands that we all see things the way he does and if you dont you are part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,689 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on. Chap deluded and always someone else’s fault. Him in a nutshell. He makes these idiotic claims and then cries because some headlines aren’t reading the way he wants. An absolute tool. An absolute narcissist it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

But in typical Harry mode, its everyone elses fault for mis interpreting what he said

If anyone actually read the book and indeed that chapter instead of the tabloid screeching nonsense and still misunderstood what he was trying to convey, then maybe reading isn't for them.

You'd swear he was the first person who has had combat service to write about the experiences.

One of the best selling autobiographies of that ilk is called American Sniper FFS!

People losing their shít because people writing about war won't sanitise it for their feeble sensitivities is beyond remedial.

But but but, he has made himself a target!!! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

He or someone advising him (his therapist maybe) should have known that it would be misconstrued.

He said on the Colbert show that the reason he mentioned it was something to do with the high suicide rate of veterans. Didn't make sense to me, but he got round of applause for it.

PSTD and suicides relating to veterans.

"Combat guilt" is one of the main reasons for the two.

The reason is got the round of applause is America has a massive problem with combat veterans taking their own lives, over 40 a day apparently.

I get that, but I don't get how him being specific about how many he killed helps.

I don't think anything could help that situation really, except maybe to spread the word to young men, don't go to war, etc, but from the extract from that part of the book, I didn't get a sense he was coming from that perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

Do you mean the Washington Examiner not the Washington Post? I think the Post is pretty respected (Watergate etc)?

• Advertisement

Though it should be pointed out that in the first year he and Meghan moved to the US, there was an absolute torrent of negative articles bashing him and Meghan in the English right wing press (presumably for the 'crime' of walking away from the royal family). This was a good year before the Oprah interview. The press guys were certainly pushing their luck at this point, as he was doing nothing to provoke them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I get that, but I don't get how him being specific about how many he killed helps.

Because like the tabloids you are focused on that one detail, not the context of what he wrote overall.

Recollections may vary (!) but they were all over the media that first year, during covid. I know because I was reading it constantly with very little else to do.

All guaranteed to get them exposure......the snippy retort about the queen not owning the word royal; having to shut down Sussex Royal and start Archewell; a Travelyst event guaranteed to get attention given their penchant for private jets; their return to the UK for their final engagements; the stunning photo of them in the rain her in the blue dress; they took the case against the associated papers/MoS that summer for publishing the letter; they kept their security till end of March then moaned about it being taken away via Scobie; Scobie was constantly putting out PR on their behalf; the rememberance day phot stunt with their photographer; conveniently papped pictures of them doing charity work; endless zooms with this charity or that one making social media.

They know the game - you put something out there = the press will comment = the tabloids will pick it apart according to whatever narrative they are currently spinning. It was not their first rodeo. They constantly played the PR game.

I read a short extract from an article (wasn't a tabloid).

What else did he say on it?

I have to repeat a stand out moment , after his mother died himself and Charles faced the press and he reached for Charles hand for support, the second their hands connected there was an explosion of camera flashes and it was then he realised he had fed them what they wanted , I find that quite powerful for a kids memory

But he wasn't giving any 'tell all' interviews. Note how every event you have described was spun by the English press as a big negative and an example of just how horrible Harry and Meghan were. If it ended up being a feud between the couple and the UK press. you'd have to say it was the press guys who started it - they made an editorial decision to portray the pair as major troublemakers (presumably good for sales and online clicks).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If I am to understand you correctly you are saying that Charles held Harry's hand for the camera?

I'm sorry but this is just conspiracy theory nonsense.

Charles has been in front of the camera whenever he goes outdoors since forever.

You cannot seriously believe he plays the cameras to that degree?

If he does he wouldn't make such a gesture so obvious.

Honestly if that is what Harry thinks then clearly he's paranoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I think what we are seeing is one of the Royals that would be locked away in older times. There is a certain amount of to close relatives in Royal families that leads to all manner of odd diseases and conditions. I think his handlers must have been doing a Steller job but now he's off the range. And if he does have some mental health issues coke and drinking and alike will not do him any good. Feel sorry for him in a way if this is the case. He certainly has demons. For me the nazis uniform and attacking the photographer were indications. That would go a way to explain the brothers short fuse and the fathers total unfeeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

And who published the book first to start all that nonsense...

Advertisement