Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

What do you mean "the pickings are slim" here?

At hooker we've got 2 Lions level players, who are both 24 years old, then a promising year 3 academy player who has already gotten plenty of gametime, a promising younger guy in Lee Barron, and probably another coming into the academy of high promise in Gus McCarthy.

It was unsustainable to think we'd be four internationals deep at the hooker position indefinitely. It makes things a little harder that we don't have James Tracy, but I'd have full confidence in McKee, McElroy and Barron to step up in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭ersatz

I was careful to couch my point without directly criticizing Leo (don't want to offend loyalists), he's been very successful as a player and as a coach at Leinster. BUT, Leinster finishing at or near the top of the league in the mid teens, given their player base, legacy and quality of the opposition, is not saying a great deal. It would be astounding if they finished outside the top 4 in those years. And to horrorshow's point, bringing in new players and playing a strategic long game is definitely one of Leo's outstanding talents, ideally suited to roles like DOR. But my point has nothing to do with Leinster, it's that we have no idea really how good a coach Leo is on his own, particularly in the International game. The Ireland coaching job is not one I'd like to see him in for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

When you say DOR do you mean replace Nucifora. Not sure why he should get it or be suited to it.

How are pickings slim. Front row will be fine. Alaalatoa has plenty experience and will Ed Byrne not likely be with Leinster so will be fine. Dont know why you are being so pessimistic

Everything I've heard or read about him tells me he has strategic and executive skills, plus he knows the Irish rugby scene inside and out. Assuming he has some business chops (he is involved in the family biz I believe) he seems like a good fit for DOR job description. People are talking in terms of him as Irish coach, another job not currently available. Nucifora won't stay forever.

I dont think he does know irish rugby scene inside out and certainly doesnt have the experience of someone i would want to be leading strategically based on what roles hes had to date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I thought Nucifora was brought in specifically because he didn't know Irish rugby inside out and his perspective as an outsider and lack of affinity with a particular province was considered an advantage.

I'm not sure if many people will have more insight into the game in Ireland than a guy who has played every level and then coached the leading province for 7 years. As for leading the development of the game, development of players, playing style and pathway as opposed to onfield coaching seems to be what he has been doing at Leinster fairly successfully.

@pickarooney horses for courses. Depends on what the IRFU see as their biggest challenges and whether the structures and style Nucifora has introduced need to be rethought or built on. If it's the latter then they won't be looking for a root and branch approach, but instead they'll look for continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stormers will almost certainly send a weakened team to Belfast. They’ll have had a couple of games in the NH at full strength followed by Clermont at home (6 days after their LI game). It’s a 6 day turnaround between that and the Ulster game before a 7 day turnaround to playing away to Sharks. I just don’t see them flying their first team guys all over like that.

If Ulster can win that one it buys is a decent bit of breathing space (assuming we beat Cardiff obv). Factoring in their game in hand it would put us 10-12 points clear. They are away to Sharks, as I said, and also Bulls during the 6Ns. If they drop a few points there and/or we pick up a few BPs in our last 3 then we should be fine.

Its also worth noting that the Stormers game is a week before the Champions Cup R16. Depending on how fixtures fall Stormers may even choose to send a weakened side to Dublin. At this stage you’d have to fancy their chances of having a home R16 game, being 4th in their pool with a home game vs a stuttering Clermont who just sacked their coach. They are at home for the last 2 rounds of the league too so have a run of home games then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The pickings are slim when the international players are away. No Kelleher or Sheehan, the cupboard is bare. Loosehead, Milne and Hanan, that cupboard is bare.

• Advertisement

My post about this next block of matches, after Europe, was not clear. Apologies

Good amount of Leinster lads in the u20's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Its going to be interesting to see who makes your academy.

Yeah, it's especially competitive amongst back three players (need to replenish stocks there).

I think the ones who are nailed on to get an academy place are:

Conor O'Tighearnaigh, Gus McCarthy, Paddy McCarthy.

and the ones I'd feel confident will get a place are: Fintan Gunne, Henry McErlean, Andrew Osborne, James Nicholson and Hugh Cooney.

There will likely be another prop added but I don't know yet who'd be considered in pole position.

Who’s looking good in your academy at prop? Boyle has a lot of hype and i honestly thought McGuire looked fantastic at under 20s. I liked him more than Boyle but i understand that Boyle is a technical guy who needs to put on some weight. Hanan hasn’t played as much as I’d expect… and Lasisi has moved to TH?

I honestly think that front row is by far the clearest point of difference between leinster and other irish teams (other than 10). So, interested to see what comes next.

Very hard to know tbh. McGuire was hurt, and just made his return with a couple of games for UCD before Christmas. Haven't heard a whole lot on how he's going.

Jack Boyle is an unusual one, seems to have been injured all season. I know it was a knee injury, but didn't hear anything about surgery etc. I don't think he's played any rugby since last summer, so impossible to know where he's at.

Marcus Hanan looks a solid but unspectacular loose head. He's pitching up a bit in the AIL, and has a couple of Leinster appearances (but none this season). He was meant to be in a match squad over the New Year, but pulled out during the warm up.

Very hard to know where Temi Lasisi is at. He's switched positions to TH, and has played a decent amount of AIL for Lansdowne there. Hasn't featured for Leinster, and only got a few mins in the Chile game, so looks no where near being close to meaningful minutes.

I think you'll see Paddy McCarthy join that group next year, and probably one of Hadden, Morris or Foxe from the current U20s set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

They'll likely bring Tom Connolly from Trinity into the fold. He's (comparatively) old (23?) so he might get a dev rather than an academy contract.

But I expect he'd be in the Leinster ranks next season.

Numerous A and Development appearances so far

Oof, i hope Boyle will recover ok. Knee injuries can be a killer.

McCarthy is the guy i’m most looking forward to seeing in this under 20s and there are a number of interesting prospects.

Is he the guy from connacht who started late? I think i read an article about him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tftsteph

• Paddy McCarthy(Prop)
    • Gus McCarthy(Hooker)
    • Conor O'Tighnearnaigh(Lock)
    • Fintan Gunne(Scrumhalf)
    • Hugh Cooney(Centre-Wing)
    • Henry McErlean(Back Three)
    • Andrew Osborne(Back Three)

Id say those 7 are safe bets, players like Hadden and Nicholson could push for places with strong performances for the 20s but look unlikely now I'd say.

Liam Molony looked set to be a strong contender after starting two A games at 7 back in september, but he picked up an injury and has yet to return, if he does I wouldnt count him out.

Finally Sam Berman is under-19 and he could force his way in this season if he impresses enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭redlough

Not sure on the Gibbes and Ulster

He left saying he was returning home for personal issue. Returned home and got a job. Then he was hired by Clermont but didn't join up with Clermont till after season had started because of the personal issue.

I have no idea what the issue was and I don't really care but him starting late at Clermont would confirm something was up but the way the story is told by some you would swear he made it up

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tftsteph

Hadden is the most likely, but I'd say he will end up in Connacht.

Leinster have two big prospects at prop at under-19 level so I'd say they'll be okay with taking just McCarthy this season if none of Hadden, Foxe, Morris hugely impress.

I know nothing on Foxe. Hadden was quite good in the summer series. I would be surprised if Molony isn't included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great interview with Ross today.

Byrne: I've spent enough time over the years worrying about things that aren't in my control

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Byrne is in the best form of his life. We expect great goal kicking, kick passing and competent marshalling of his backline. But he's also trying to add more audacious elements to his game. That one handed slap on pass for Keenan's try was beautiful.

• Advertisement

Ross is playing very well. He's so reliable. He rarely has a poor day.

Advertisement