Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

Within a few days of their arrival in the search for Bin Laden, the US had chased the Taliban out of the Country, and this is under the very same circumstances you describe, heading for mountains etc. Drones and satellites have blocked off these avenues of escape. For 20 years they held it. They could retake it again very quickly if they wanted. Afghanistan did not defeat the Americans militarily.... Afghans defeated Afghans, helped with massive support from Pakistan.

For Ukraine, I seem to remember the Germans using the same methods during the ww2 in any Country they controlled, and that did not stop the resistance back then either.

Both Afghanistan and Ukraine share one very powerful trait....With Afghans, they were united not only as citizens against an invader, but by religion, it was a Religious war against the unbeliever.

With Ukraine, Putins murderous escapades has united the whole country against him. In the generations yet to come, they will remember these atrocities'.

There you have the most powerful motivation known to Man for fighting and destroying invaders. The Russians do not possess a fraction of this kind of powerful motivation, but you can rest assured Russian Invaders lives will be made hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

"Helicopters can't actually fly, but they're so ugly the ground rejects them."

One thing I've learned about air crashes is to ignore all speculation, of which there is usually a huge amount, and wait for the investigation report. Two examples:

American Airlines 587 crashed in Queens, November 2001. Cue lots of (understandable) speculation about a new Al Quaeda terror attack. The investigation showed that the vertical stabiliser had separated due to excessive rudder inputs by the pilot in response to encountering wake turbulence.

Manx 2 Flight 7100 crashed at Cork Airport on its third attempt to land in foggy weather. This resulted in lots of speculation about whether the pilots should have diverted instead, whether the airport should have been closed to traffic and whether it had been a bad idea to build an airport at that location in the first place. The accident report revealed that the fog was just one factor among many, which included one engine producing more thrust than the other, two relatively inexperienced (on that type) pilots flying together, and a "virtual airline" that had slipped through several regulatory cracks.

I've also heard of a number of cases of witnesses reporting flames when in fact there were none. Granted, flames and a shot-down aircraft are for more likely in Ukraine at the moment than would be the norm, but accidents still happen even in wartime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

I've never been in one but I don't like the idea of it. It's not fear of flight or heights because I've been at the controls of a Cessna and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭vixdname

You think Ukraine would be more easily subdued.........have you not been watching the savagery of Ukraine's defense of its country ? Easily subdued, yeah right !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've no fear of heights I used to operate tower cranes, it's the thought of being held up by nothing more than a disc of air that sends the shivers down my spine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Donbas is not nearly that simple and cut and dried though you/we migt like it to be. Nor is Crimea for that matter. There has been a murderous faction war in Donbas and it had its roots before 2014 too. Russia took advantage of these roots that's for damned sure, but there was an existing advantage to be taken and built upon, not helped by Kyiv.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I was in a chopper in NYC in the early 2000s, flying over the Hudson and over Ground Zero.

Heard the pilot say he had to carry out an emergency landing as the transponder on our chopper has ceased beaming out our position to ATC etc.

That was a worrisome few minutes until we landed safely at their riverside helipad adjacent the USS Intrepid.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

The problem with the donbass, crimea and most other soviet republics is that stalin gave all these republics a certain amount of autonomy but in order to retain control of those regions, industrial cities were created and populated with citizens of Russia bringing their language and culture with them and displacing the indigenous population. We see even on our own island the consequences of such a tactic.

70 years later putin is justifying his invasion in a large part on the basis of that russian plantation.

When ukraine eventually push the Russians back and I do believe they will. This is issue will need to be resolved. Most if not all of these russian citizens in the donbass and crimea have at this stage rejected their Ukrainian citizenship and now have russian passports. Do the Ukrainians deport these russian citizens even if generations of them were born in the territory of Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In a straight up fight ,I'd agree with you ..

My fear would be in an insurgency situation , and with Russia's expieience in brutal population control , that Russia's techniques might slowly prevail , or even not and just leave a totally broken disfunctional rump state ,

When the Russians first invaded in Feb and March they had units going door to door with lists of soldiers ,and their families address's.. any one who was considered a dissenter was detained -

Think huge gulag camps .

I think the west has a responsibility to assist more .. and not drip feed in a reactionary way

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bit surprised no one is talking about the latest announcement of weapons from the US.

When Ukraine get these, they have the capability to hit everything currently occupied by the Russians, except for Crimea.

This is far more significant than 12 Challenger tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah the latest US package contains all sorts of useful tools. Those longer range rockets might also give Russia pause for thought if they are thinking about a new offensive up North.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Before we all get to carried Away , I assume these are interceptable by AA systems ..the rocket part has a 32km range ,then seperates and flies or falls or ,uses gravity and wings ,

Anyways it's likely to be relatively slow around separation ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Considering or definitely will? There is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭threeball

Fog and helicopters are a receipe for disaster

Colin McRae

Kobe Bryant

Rescue 116

The RAF Chinook in Scotland

The list goes on and on

It's been widely reported in reputable media, not just made up stuff on Twitter like we saw with the Apache story last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I wasn't doubting you or the story.

The U.S. Is Considering The Transfer Of GLSDB Munitions To Ukraine

November 28, 2022

This has been talked about for some time, as have other systems:

US Army Considering Downgrading Gray Eagle Drones for Ukraine November 16, 2022

I did find a different article that said 'likely' so that's an improvement on 'considering' so I hope It happens.

If they can supply a lot of these, they will have a large impact; no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭TracyMartell

Zelensky basically blamed Russia for the helicopter crash at the WEF address. Does he know something we don’t?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭pcardin

UMP9 and M16. And I would not be concerned if they are freightened or not as long as they are dead. I understand it must be funny to joke about from far away distance, not so funny when your country borders with that zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

He would blame Russia if it was a wet day. That is his most important job yesterday, today and tomorrow. He needs to get as much support for his people and his country in their defense against the worst scum to drag their evil asses around Europe since May 1945.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

No one is suggesting a country's history and tensions are "cut and dried" (certainly not post-Soviet regions). I'm addressing blurring of the lines. In 2012 Donetsk was hosting the Euros and the biggest worry was racism. Two years later that stadium was being shelled. Slight difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Depends exactly what he said.

Did he say Russia downed the helicopter or did he say the helicopter would not have crashed had Russia not attacked Ukraine (no building lights because of the Russian attacks on energy infrastructure etc...)

Similar situation to a farmer ploughing the field and detonating a Russian mine.

A couple of days ago I posted a video, that no one seemed interested in, of a Ukrainian drone finding an Orc radio on the ground outside a dugout. They then sent another drone with a magnet on the end of a line which managed to snag the radio and carry it back to their base.

This allowed the Ukrainians to listen in on Orc radio comms for 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭jmreire

I've flown many times in Russian M18's and MI26 heavy lift, part of the job at the time, so just got on with it. You get used to them. But for sure, I'm happier in a plane.,any kind of plane, even shakey ones LOL And yes, they exist too, If any of you have ever flown cargo planes, with all the nice furnishings stripped out, and the bare ribs of the aircraft exposed, and thousands of pipes and cables exposed, if it was your first flight, it could well put you off flying ever again !!! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If Russia didn't invade and was attacking everything and anything that wasn't a legitimate military target,then the helicopter wouldn't have been where it was and at a low altitude trying to avoid missles.

So yes it's Russias fault

• Advertisement

I have the impression that we will "sink" by the end of this year.

And you?

Igor Girkin is incredibly gloomy, never seen him put a time frame on disaster though. I remain amazed that he can post such things and not suffer consequences.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement