Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff Shortages in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

There was a time recently when FF seemed to be trolling people with their "look at these people new to the country get lonely new houses"

These were very clearly prioritised for whatever reason.

People aren't leaving direct provision, and immediately paying Dublin rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Many of them have no hope of paying their own way, stuck in the social welfare system, and can't afford to move out of DP even when they have a job.

Note,not all,but many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I remember during the time when there was a big push to end direct provision a couple of years ago, it was being compared to the Magdalene laundries. Disgusting stuff comparing refugees who decided to come here and all the services provided to them, with the unfortunate women sent into these who society completely turned their back on.

What people don’t seem to get is you can leave direct provision whenever you want but you have to take care of your own accommodation. It’s not a prison or a detention centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think the problem of staff shortages was already going on before the pandemic and the war in the Ukraine.

I recall an RTE documentary, I think it was on Radio 1, where a couple of senior citizens from the South West of Ireland were organizing bus trips to Northern Ireland to get cataract surgery done. These operations would be routine but apparently there was no option to have it done in the South West of Ireland, not even in Cork?

This was in 2017 or 2018 or so? Back in 2017 I already recall long queues to view a rental apartment in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's not on the NHS, private dentist, so I still have to pay, but it's so much cheaper than anywhere down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Oh no doubt some love the misery.

But something’s very wrong when the country is booming with ‘jobs’ & young people are leaving in their droves again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,709 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A medical card doesn't give you any priority in accessing healthcare.

There's no point denying a medical card to people with no money. Especially if they are coming from countries where diseases like TB and HIV are more common than here.

An 80 year old who doesn't qualify for a medical card would have to be quite comfortably off.

It's families with children who can struggle with medical expenses, but if they're in low paid work they have little chance of getting one. GP visit cards for kids are only very slowly being extended in age eligibility.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

The rents are so high and wages quite poor mental rate of marginal tax. I was in a 30 sq metre apartment in ranelagh earlier, renting for e1600 a month. Lady moved to a two bed in clontarf for e2700!

I mean you lose half your salary here on not much more than minimum wage. Why so many people stay in this banana republic is beyond me...

Post edited by Murph85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Theres a lot of vested interest in keeping rents high for the rich to make more money. When will people like Larry Goodman ever have enough money?

Extract 50% of poorer peoples incomes over to the rich and they get richer and richer...kind of like the English Landlord population centuries ago living off all the tiny irish peasants rents .

We probably are at the stage renters are peasants at this stage and Multiple property owners are Gentry landlords .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭tinytobe

It's probably very hard to attract any sort of staff to whatever industry, if the choice of housing especially renting is so poor.

Apparently, there are only around 700 units for rent in the whole Republic of Ireland? Landlords can probably ask any rent. Sharing a place or lodging somewhere is probably the only choice for many.

Sadly this makes the country less attractive.

Is that down to staff shortages, or failure to provide funds for an adequate level of service in the first place? I strongly suspect the latter.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

It's home that's why they stay and go back too. Besides those who have a gaff and steady jobs, especially couples, already are doing ok and seem resigned to the taxes and high cost of living.

Trying to move back after living in a lower tax lower cost environment though...feck me it is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

If you have a TV you might take a look at one of the news programs and see what it's like to live in a war zone. Comparing students to refugees is pointless. The accommodation crisis and the health care crisis existed before the refugees landed. Students were couch surfing and living in hostels for the past 10 years. You'd deny the most needy help when it's needed most. Congratulations on being the bottom of the human race.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Nursing staff in the HSE has grown by over 5,000 during the last three years.

We overspend on healthcare, relative to the age profile of our population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

There is plenty of money in the HSE it's to many cooks vs Grunts. The likes of consultants only wanting to stay local to the private customers stuff like that.

You would outright deny Irish students are homeless when there are many reports and articles, claim its not a problem because its been ' happening for years' and stoop to the usual emotional blackmail tricks.

Cognitive dissonance much?

Folks like you try to shut discussion down.

Its increasingly not working.

And in one year 70,000 Ukranian refugees and 15,000 other asylum seekers are better looked after than many of our students. That is a fact.

Are you disputing that?

I dont have problem with treating genuine refugees well, I do have a problem when our own citizens are neglected even though there seems to be vast resources available for others.

You try and **** on me but you don't give a **** about homeless students.

Post edited by maninasia on

That doesn't mean that the specific service mentioned has been provided for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Don't we Pay NGO's or what ever to take up the services that are not done via HSE ?

If the HSE has agreed to provide a budget for that service or service level, yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Rental income is already taxed on income instead of profit.

The rest of your post is CCCP rubbish, why would anyone bother to accumulate any wealth if its all going to be taken anyway.

If nobody invests in property then there will be no rental properties - how's that going to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How are you calculating profit there? After capital repayments perhaps?

You cannot discount capital repayment for rental income (unless of course, part of a designated REIT which is not available to the majority of 1-10 property owning landlords). The only applicable deductions are realised expenses (eg accountant fees), realised upkeep expenditure (eg property repair or replacing furniture) and mortage interest (100% tax deductible if you are renting to a HAP tenant).

Otherwise income tax is chargeable on incoming rent, not on incoming rent minus mortgage payments.

Except that capital repayment isn’t an expense, it is increasing the net worth of the owner. It’s not a business expense.

Rental income is taxed on profit.

How is rental income taxed on profit?? That doesnt make sense to me.

Mortgage of 1k per month and deposit of 50k for BTL. When the landlord receives the first rent payment of 1k per month, and pays the first 1k mortgage installment, are you saying he's 1k in profit? Thats very irrational.

The mortgage payment is made of up of interest and capital repayment. Interest is a business expense, capital repayment is just moving your own funds around. Interest is deducted in calculating profit, capital repayment is not.

So if the rent payment is €1k, and the mortgage payment is €300 interest and €700 capital, then the landlord made €700 profit that month, and pays tax on the €700 profit.

The LL would be assessed 1k as taxable income though. Mortgage interest is not an allowable expense unless renting to a HAP tenant.

It wouldn't really make any sense to tax landlords differently depending on whether they are mortgage free, interest only, repayment mortgage etc.

Allowing interest as an expense for HAP tenants only doesn't make any sense either. Either allow it for all or not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

nurses and teachers are leaving ireland due the housing crisis,the high cost of rent ,yes we are a rich country, with a serious shortage of affordable housing , we need more young people to go into trades ,builders, drivers , carpenters etc its getting harder to find a place to rent,

landlords are retiring and selling up. the government needs to build 20k plus housing units a year just to meet demand

japan is a rich country with a falling population and a low birth rate . many young people cant afford to buy houses or have children .companys like google facebook microsoft are laying off workers.look at shops ,supermarkets , hotels , most of the workers are non nationals .teachers and gardai need some place to live that is affordable and close to where they work.i can see no sign of the situation getting better,

we have seen the return of inflation and rising energy costs ,some cafes are closing due to rising costs ,electricity bills etc

Advertisement