Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Dec 22 Assembly Election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I am not sure why you are giving my vote such an inquisition. I can’t actually think of any way they can do damage. Our system won’t let one party pass stuff without the ‘others’ agreeing. So you are getting a bee in your bonnet about nothing. My vote for them this time around with be to ensure stormont is not reestablished. That’s the only thing I can think any ni party has the power to do.

so I am supporting them to do that and nothing else - unless you can tell me some negative impact they can make ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

. I can’t actually think of any way they can do damage.

So nobody is damaged by the DUP's denial of democracy? They are in the act of throwing Unionism under the bus...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im not giving you an inquisition im just refusing to let you off saying your happy to vote for the DUP but don't support the majority of their policies and thus trying to absolve yourself of the guilt by association for any of the pretty dreadful stuff they say and get up to.

The only reason it might be feeling like an inquisition is your starting to realise how ridiculous your argument is and you've no defence for it. I gave you a chance to admit the truth in my last post and ill post the same thing again to see if you will be honest for once.

Just admit you looked at the DUP and made a calculation that you were happy for them to potentially follow through on the stuff you disagree with as long as they definitely follow through on the stuff you agree with.

Ill give an example to start the ball rolling in your head, is the DUPs position on the protocol more important to you than their position on abortion and are you willing to ignore the latter to achieve the former? Or do you in fact support their position on abortion?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Reminder again about the above since some people are ignoring it. If you can't have a polite discussion without hurling insults, don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Not sure why you're having a go at Downcow for them giving a vote to the DUP. It's a perfectly rational decision for a northern unionist to vote for the DUP if they think it's in their own best current interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I have to disagree with your general point.

From my own experience, I vote Green, yet there is a lot that I disagree with, and even more important, quite a number of their policies will affect my life badly, yet I grit teeth and vote for them because they are the right things to do.

Id really appreciate if people stop twisting my words as ive not once had a go at them for voting for the DUP im pointing out their hypocrisy for saying they vote for the DUP but don't support most of what they stand for, because by voting for anyone you are tacitly supporting everything they stand for whether you like it or not.

Yes thats what I said but its not what from my reading Downcow is arguing. They are trying to pretend to themselves and others that by voting for the DUP they are blameless or not at fault for anything else the DUP do apart from their stance on the protocol.

You disagree with some of what the Greens stand for, as everyone likely does no matter who they vote for, but do accept that what you disagree with will possibly be done and you have therefore tacitly supported it being done by voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I do reserve the right to disagree with their policies and to criticise them, unfortunately, all other choices are worse. I am voting on the basis of least bad, and that does leave me a lot of room to criticise even those I vote for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I get that but you aren't voting for them because although you disagree with all of their other policies and you don't trust them, you think they are best placed to fix a particular issue they were responsible for creating (along with the ERG) and have lied about the issue since its inception.

Alliance are on the money here. DUP/TUV fighting a rear guard action that is going down in flames. No power sharing is not the threat they think it is.

• Advertisement

Actually abortion is one of the few things that I find it very difficult to take any position on. I find it a very uncomfortable subject and probably disagree with both extremes.

but tell how the dup can affect the abortion question? You a being a bit like francies last post ie they are going to do terrible things but nobody can give me any examples of anything they can affect.

So if any of you can point out a few things you think the dup can change or implement that I wouldn’t like, then I might reconsider joining the vast majority of northern unionists to vote for them. Otherwise you probably need to accept that there is no hypocrisy in my stance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

@downcow wrote " things you think dup can change or implement that I wouldn’t like, then I might reconsider joining the vast majority of northern unionists to vote for them"

Well they helped bring about the Protocol so that is one thing you seem to be against.

But , at the end of the day, you have the absolute right to vote for whoever you like , without giving any reason. But you can't blame anyone else for not understanding your logic.

So your argument boils down to you support them and things like their anti abortion policy, homophobic bigotry, their troglodytic stance on climate change and creationism but its okay because they cant actually do anything about them?

Again vote for whoever you want but stop trying to delude yourself and us about what voting for them actually means.

Post edited by VinLieger on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem with the analogies of parties in the Republic is that none of them come close to the ideological extremes occupied by the DUP. They're possibly the most extreme "popular" party on the island before you get to the likes of the National Party, propped up by the sectarian divide in the North and keeping the other side from power. One might vote Green but disagree with some key tenets on the manifesto, fairly trivial details by and large -, but you'll rarely have something so egregious within one here as the sundry fundamentalist positions of the DUP membership.

I think it's fair to say from previous posts that @downcow aligns with the DUP on flags, Irish language, legacy issues, parades, etc. The surprise is he isn't voting for them before now.

You quote my question which was future tense, and then you set about discussing the past. Why not answer my question which you quoted?

Now you are starting to catch up. That’s pretty close.

Great so your happy to say you vote for and therefore support science denying, biggoted religious fundamentalists?

• Advertisement

Well that is an incredible position. You have a party rising in the south who are unapologetic about murder, intimidation, torture, rape, child abuse etc, as long as it is carried out by the paramilitary gang who regarded them as their political wing. They stand at memorials to sectarian killers on a weekly basis. They hunt for justice for one side and demand ‘truth’ from the other. They have senior members who have committed heinous crimes, etc, etc, etc.

but yeah, the DUP are the only extremists on the island!

I know it would suit prejudiced thinking if I fitted in that box, but I don’t. I agree with them in none of the subjects you mention.

we really are going in circles now.

just be clear with me. Are you suggesting that the huge number of people who vote sf north and south believe that the murder of my civilian neighbour was justified and that the murder of children and babies should not be condemned outright?

if you answer is yes, then I can’t accuse you of hypocrisy in your statements about me. If you answer is no then……….

ps if your answer is yes, and you are correct, then we are all in big trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

One man's party of politicians who are "science denying, bigoted religious fundamentalists"

is another's group of "straight talking and honest/ fulfil my promises" public representatives.

You might not like Northern Presbyterians but in general they do live by an honest, hard working ethic based on traditional beliefs.

And attempt by undemocratic means to impose it on everyone else.

The very definition of bigoted religious fundamentalism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Once again you respond to a point of view I never made, and in a rush to whatabout into a soapbox about Sinn Fein, misunderstand the very point I was getting to.

Yes, I would consider religious fundamentalists and the broad social conservatism of the DUP to be along the more extreme ideological axis within this island's various political parties, left to right. The critical word this time you missed, is "ideology". Re-read my post without descending into another affront. Your rush to pillory other users for not sharing your outrage about the shinners is tiresome.

You shared your outrage about the DUP. So goose, hanger and all that.

actually I don’t disagree that that the DUP are further along the ‘biggoted religious fundamentalist’ line than most parties in ni, but your unwillingness to see context and to admit the bigotry and prejudice of swathes of republicanism is glaring.

I think you all know this anyhow, and know that I have no desire to promote right wing politics in general, but sometimes my enemies enemy is where I will put my X. This article is a clumsy summary of why the FUP would get my X tomorrow https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/dup-erg-brexit-alliance-northern-ireland-protocol-rishi-sunak

There is no party that has religiously motivated policy akin to the DUP on this island.

• Advertisement

Nick Watt on BBC Newsnight reporting Sunak May be willing to do deal on NI protocol without the DUP . If they didn’t like it, rules for Stormont could be changed.

How much capital is there in the 'threat to devolution' now?

I would imagine he would find little resistance to the idea among most on these islands TBH.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement