Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Sign up for addresspal yourself, using parents Irish address, your name or theirs. You don't have to fill any customs forms or risk the return of the parcel, as you just post your gift to the addresspal US address in New Jersey, with your account reference in the address. They will then forward it to your parents address. You will have to declare the value of the gift. Over €45 it will attract 23% VAT. Over €150 and it may attract customs charges as well as VAT.

Your total other costs are;

1. postage chages to the addresspal address. You may buy something online locally for direct delivery, possibly free delivery to this US address, but even if under €45, this will be treated as a purchase from abroad, not a gift, Any saving on getting free US online delivery might be negated if the item is below the gift threshold.

2. Addresspal process all the customs and Vat calculations based on the value declared and the gift/purchase status. There is a €3.50 charge for this.

3.Finally, there is the international delivery charge for the US to Ireland leg of the journey. This is €16 for up to 2Kg packet, so not too expensive.

You will have certainty that your packet is being delivered, and you will have tracking for the international and Irish end.

Example; you send a small packet with a gift valued €40, About 1.5Kg. Usps charge $64.20 (€63) for first class packet to Ireland. When the parcel arrives in Ireland, and provided you have filled out the customs declaration meticulously, your packet will attract 23% vat on the postage only, plus the €3.50 customs charges, total of about €18. You should be able to monitor this on the AnPost tracking , even pay it. If all is well, and you get the option to pay this, then your total costs will be €81, with the stress of potential return with no refund of your packet costs.

With addresspal, you will pay the cost of packet post from your us address to the Addresspal address, in New Jersey. No vat on the gift, €16 for delivery to Ireland, €3.50 admin, and no vat on these charges as they are paid via your addresspal account and include VAT. So €19.50 plus local US packet post charge, say about $12-16, instead of €81, and guaranteed delivery.

You might sent a gift worth €100, but you might buy online and get free delivery to Addresspal in NJ, so though you pay €23 Irish VAT when the packet hits ireland, you didn’t pay local postage, so no vat on this, just the addresspal €16 plus €3.50 customs clearance charge.

I'm certain this is how it works. Larger parcels cost more, but its not linear, 2Kg is €16, 10kg is €30. Customs charge always €3.50, and VAT is 23% of the purchased goods invoice value which may include delivery. I don't expect they try and add your local self posted delivery charges to NJ for VAT purposes on a gift, maybe they do, but if bought online they would use the invoice price of the store including delivery. Others here might have some real world examples.

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/pricing-sizing

All I will add to the post above, is Addresspal do check the contents, and will query if they think there is an under declaration of value by looking for proof of purchase. They will email the account holder looking for a screenshot or PDF of receipt or invoice.

Of course. Do they open the packets? It might help if @amdublin includes a copy of the shop receipt for anything that he purchased to send over, in a clear sticker bag on the outside, or inside with the gift? If he wants to manage the addresspal account, it might be prudent to have it his parents name, as a gift to yourself is just a purchase, senders name the same as recipient, so no gift VAT threshold. I'm not sure though that if you set up Addresspal in your parents name, you can use your own payment card details and email to manage and run the account. You probably can.

My addresspal is still active, though I haven't used it since Brexit, as you now attract double VAT (UK and Irl), the €3.50 fee, and the delivery charge doubled to €6.50, though it does cover up to 20kg. With VAT, that's a €33 charge on a €100 item. My last two attempts to use it foundered anyway, when two UK suppliers of a hard to find part had blacklisted Anposts UK addresspal address, for reasons of regional distribution rights, They were aware it was a forwarding address, and couldn't sell into Ireland as they were no longer entitled to trade here in competition with (non responsive) Irish agents. I had to drive to Belfast for that particular part.

In my experience, yes they do open the packets to check, and they arrived resealed with Addresspal tape.

I don't think sending to someone with the same name would be an issue as family members could have the same name (eg. John Senior and John Junior.)

I have mainly used my own UK Addresspal for books, so vat exempt and have only been charged the €6.50 fee for delivering those, and a few items from Amazon.co.uk or UK ebay sellers where I couldn't find EU alternatives, and so far its worked out okay. I never thought about the UK Vat on those purchases, but it must have been included in the price I paid the vendor so I didn't notice.

Addresspal precludes substituting UK 20% for IRL 23% as the goods are technically not sent outside the UK, so you pay both. Suppliers can post direct to you UK Vat free, but it may never arrive, so many UK businesses have given up on supplying to here. Addresspal should institute a system of claiming back UK VAT on behalf of subscribers.Amazon operates with irl Vat, they were doing it pre brexit anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is AWESOME! This is exactly the info I was looking for and exactly what I will do!!!!

Of course, what possible motivation could An Post have for the An Post-owned Addresspal ending up looking like the "safe" option for items sent from the US and the UK?

Address Pal fee (significant in the case of the US with a minimum €16) + An Post Customs Processing Fee = win win

That compared to standard international postage charges particularly on small lower-value items ....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 funky sausage

is this place still going I'm getting an error code on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Some sort of a glitch at the moment as I am getting the same.

It was working yesterday as i have some coming from the U.S. at the moment and was checking the tracking on it.

• Advertisement

Anyone have something arrive damaged?

I got onto the seller in U.S. and they said they are only responsible for it arriving at the addresspal place in New Jersey safely.

If it got damaged on route to Ireland it's nothing to do with them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seller is right, how can they be responsible for what happens after Addresspal get it? Ask AddressPal if the have any photos of it on arrival at NJ.

Waiting for them to reply.

Packaged in a flimsy light cardboard and fragile stamped on it. Definitely poorly packaged.

Can see both parties washing their hands of responsibility here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The seller might not neccesarily know that the package is going outside the UK so they might not put the value of the item(s) on the parcel

Do customs open up the package to look for an invoice?

The company in question is Lakeland, they dont deliver their food items outside the UK because "we dont know the allergy guidelines in your country" (other companies dont have this rule and seem to realise people living outside the UK are capable of reading labels)

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭finbarrrr

Hi,

I purchased a replacement remote Control from Amazon.co.uk for €5.99 and accidently put down the AddressPal when I had free prime delivery - my mistake.

Fun started then, I was charged the €6 AddressPal fees (my own fault) but then customs got their hands on it and valued the remote at €10.99 and added another €6.05 in VAT & fees which I rejected on the customs site and also sending an email to them with my grievance.

BTY: Did Amazon already pay the VAT as my billing address is Irish?

Do AddressPal refund the €6 they already took or is that gone?

I hoping the Remote gets back to Amazon and I'll get a refund there .

So as of today, the Remote is in the Dublin Hub (I suppose for sorting to send back to UK)

19 December 2022 09:04: We have your post in DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12

18 December 2022 14:54: You have rejected customs charges on this item. As such, the item will be returned to sender.

17 December 2022 19:27: Your item is in Ireland. A customs charge has been applied and details have been sent to you. You can pay the fee on our website, or at your local Post Office.

I suppose AdressPal has advantages but I reckon they are few and far between when dealing with UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

AddressPal won’t give yout money back, they moved it as requested. Check your order from Amazon to see if they took the deposit fees, which would be Irish VAT. They probably didn't charge Irish VAT, but would have charged UK VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,272 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I got Amazon delivery notification last Wednesday into the Addresspal New Jersey depot.

I haven't gotten any comms from Address Pal yet. Just wondering if this is slow \ typical timelines or should I contact them?

It is a standard item I've ordered before and I thought (but could be wrong) I was notified by Address Pal within 48 hours.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've found that AddressPal have been a bit slower in the last few months to process orders. I'd be mailing them if you've heard nothing by Wednesday.

Cheers - I just got the email now saying item has been received and delivery fee applied. So things are ticking along but seem slower than before the xmas rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Have addresspal got rid of the virtual address and the APW numbers? I can't find them on my AP account after I signed up.

I want to buy an item from amazon.de and get it sent to a anpost parcel locker. I would normally do it with parcelmotel but they are closing down.

What address do I put into amazon shipping details to get it in a parcel locker and where's my APW number?

Any help appreciated.

Have you registered a credit card?

I see them on mine if I click HOME, and then scroll down to section "Home Delivery Information", UK on the left, USA on the right.

No i didnt add a card.

Before i do can i just ask are the uk/usa the only 2virtual addresses? I assume i would put my normal address except it would have a Apw code.

I dont see how it would make sense if i am not buyingfrom uk or usa. The item would be going into one of these 2 countries and then back to me. Im buying from germany. But if a different courier other than the national post service of that country is used by sender, then anpost wont take over.

Address Pal is just for US and UK, so the virtual address is only in those countries. And with the customs situation you wouldn't want to try sending it via Address Pal UK.

You might be snookered... I don't think there's any way in advance to force the delivery to the An Post Parcel locker. It's an option you can choose when you get notification of a delivery from An Post.

Yeah iwas afraid of that. Its a shame parelmotel is folding. I will try look for another one that has a virtual address. Its such an aazing thing not to have to be at the house and also picking at random hrs from a locker. Thanks fr the help.

If it's a package delivered from the van then I usually get a text from An Post before they attempt delivery. From there I click a link and can rearrange delivery to a parcel locker. DPD have something similar I can redirect to a local shop. I don't bother redirecting with An Post because my nearest locker is at sorting office.

But doesn't work for for small items delivered on foot \ bike by the postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

Guys did some one post here awhile ago saying there was a address or post office you could use in the north if you wanted to buy things from the UK and use that address in the north and pick up from there yourself.

Timeline for Address Pal US:

Delivered to Address Pal Hub on Wednesday January 4th.

Notification from Address Pal on Monday January 9th.

Shipped from US on January 11th.

Arrived in Dublin Hub on January 17th.

Delivered on Friday January 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The tracking number states addresspal received my order 10 days ago, but still not contact from them.

Is it typical they take this long?

Any idea of the average wait time from the UK addresspal depot receiving orders, and the order being forwarded to the Irish address?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Advertisement

No it's not normal.

Maybe your ap number is missing off the parcel or something else wrong.

Contact them.

I've received a message less than 48 hours after my UK item arrived there.

Item cost €200.

No word about taxes.

Just 6.50 ap fee taken from my account and a tracking number saying my item is on the way.

Advertisement